Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally Hyped!

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

How does this game deserve any hype? Not only does it somehow look worse then Everquest in 2014 but the mechanics and gameplay are garbage as well.

Go play the actual alpha release and come back here and hype this game with a straight face. I realize it's early in development but damn...... I found zero potential whatsoever in a game this poorly designed.

This is why every sandbox fails, devs think we have no standards then get a nice dose of reality when they try to launch with a subpar product. The fanboi's wrapping a bowtie around a turd and calling it gold doesn't help either.

I have been playing this game for 1 year almost, so dont give that crap..you dont know what you are talking about!

Here is the reason why it might be hyped: 

And i think this dude knows a bit more about mmorpgs than you do...

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Mensur

How does this game deserve any hype? Not only does it somehow look worse then Everquest in 2014 but the mechanics and gameplay are garbage as well.

Go play the actual alpha release and come back here and hype this game with a straight face. I realize it's early in development but damn...... I found zero potential whatsoever in a game this poorly designed.

This is why every sandbox fails, devs think we have no standards then get a nice dose of reality when they try to launch with a subpar product. The fanboi's wrapping a bowtie around a turd and calling it gold doesn't help either.

I have been playing this game for 1 year almost, so dont give that crap..you dont know what you are talking about!

The attack on his knowledge of MMO's is unnecessary.  Everyone knows as much as they know and are entitled to their opinion.  That he cannot get past the graphics is sad but it will likely be many people's reaction.

Originally posted by bliss14

The attack on his knowledge of MMO's is unnecessary.  Everyone knows as much as they know and are entitled to their opinion.  That he cannot get past the graphics is sad but it will likely be many people's reaction.

Its not an attack..you made it sound like one..and if he feels offended i am sorry..

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Guys, I honestly saw this game with a 9 on the hype meter. I went to check it out. I literally said out loud:

"What in the ever loving fuck is this?"

I don't care what systems are proposed the game looks like complete utter trash. I can't be immersed into this.

This is theory crafted nostalgic kickstarter BS. I'm sorry, I can't. If THIS is what MMORPG is "supposed" to be then I understand why the genre is at a stand still. There's a wild difference in a opinion.

It seems the averge fan can't get what they want. It's always an extreme that ignores something important. 

Geez man, can we get a visually appealing game with great combat, great character variation, open world, great crafting and economy, skills, classes etc with a reasonably priced subscription model? At this point I'm willing to buy into any setting. I don't care if its based in the Wild West or Medieval Times, as long as the quality speaks to a good game from 2014-2015.

Unfortunately we live such times we have but two choices: Gilded piece of horse poo, or crap looking gold nuggets.

The latter contains more gold, so i choose that.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, I am playing everquest now and I don't find this statement true at all. Oh sure, it doesn't rival what is going on now in games as far as graphics (and it has an old school feel in both graphics and game play) but its graphics are still better than EQ.

I disagree but even if you're right do you want a medal for this statement? lol

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Wtf would I judge the game on a video when I can play the actual game, which is what I am judging? I like how they open with "ever wish games could be good like the olden days" when this game is much worse then all the old greats like EQ Classic, SWG, Ultima Online, etc.

I'll say it again, a new sandbox can't just be similar to old MMO's it has to be better. And Project Gorgon is centuries away from that goal.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Jockan
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Call me shallow, but I just can't play a game in 2015 that looks like it was made in 1998. I have tried to play some of these ugly indie games, including Project Gorgon, and it's like stepping into a time warp to the nineties. Gameplay does not trump visuals for me. They are equally important.  I'm a PC gamer for many reasons, and one of them is playing games with superior graphics. If you can overlook how ugly this game is, more power to you.

Anyone with a Raptr sig doesn't deserve any respect.

• RoweinRowein Member Posts: 44

I don't get the big deal. Clunky interface, outdated graphics, unclear story line, odd combat ......I was killed by a cow. A cow.

I think if they put a lot of work in to this game it would make an OK free to play.

Rowein

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Rowein

I don't get the big deal. Clunky interface, outdated graphics, unclear story line, odd combat ......I was killed by a cow. A cow.

I think if they put a lot of work in to this game it would make an OK free to play.

Rowein

Don't forget to add:

Because I was too stupid to ignore the huge warning blaring at me across the screen!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Wtf would I judge the game on a video when I can play the actual game, which is what I am judging? I like how they open with "ever wish games could be good like the olden days" when this game is much worse then all the old greats like EQ Classic, SWG, Ultima Online, etc.

I'll say it again, a new sandbox can't just be similar to old MMO's it has to be better. And Project Gorgon is centuries away from that goal.

Thanks again Beastt, we got your opinion the first time and it is a valid one.

You don't have to keep coming back to trash the game more, however.

There are people who have different opinions, you know.   Lets give people who are undecided a chance to try.

Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Guys, I honestly saw this game with a 9 on the hype meter. I went to check it out. I literally said out loud:

"What in the ever loving fuck is this?"

I don't care what systems are proposed the game looks like complete utter trash. I can't be immersed into this.

This is theory crafted nostalgic kickstarter BS. I'm sorry, I can't. If THIS is what MMORPG is "supposed" to be then I understand why the genre is at a stand still. There's a wild difference in a opinion.

It seems the averge fan can't get what they want. It's always an extreme that ignores something important. 

Geez man, can we get a visually appealing game with great combat, great character variation, open world, great crafting and economy, skills, classes etc with a reasonably priced subscription model? At this point I'm willing to buy into any setting. I don't care if its based in the Wild West or Medieval Times, as long as the quality speaks to a good game from 2014-2015.

Lol are you kidding me??

What in the ever loving fuck are you talking about??

That is the whole reason we are here with these Indie games!   Get with the program dude!

You aren't going to get that game because there is no pressure on mainstream game developers to make it.   They can make cookie cutter games and still make craploads of money.

Get your shit together if you plan on posting.   You have no clue.

Accepting my ban now.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Thanks again Beastt, we got your opinion the first time and it is a valid one.

You don't have to keep coming back to trash the game more, however.

There are people who have different opinions, you know.   Lets give people who are undecided a chance to try.

I think it's called "having a discussion"; a "debate", even. You might not like what thebeasttt has to say, but he still has every right to say it.

That said, Mensur made a very telling statement... probably without realizing it.

The advice given to anyone, in any other circumstance, is to play the game for yourself and form your own opinion. They advise you to not take others' word for it, not to get caught up in the hype or the marketing... but to do your own hands-on research and reach your own conclusions.

It's wise and very logical advice. After all, you can't know what/how something is, or whether you're going to like it until you've tried it yourself. Someone else saying how they like it, or what they think of it, or what they think you'll think of it is absolutely useless, and can be very misleading.

Yet... what did Mensur do? He actually suggested someone go watch a video of someone else describing (read: hyping) the game, rather than continuing to play and get their own first-hand experience with it.

Think about that. 

It's also telling that they chose the video they did, rather than, say... one of the official promo videos, by the actual creators, which go over the gameplay, etc. You know, meat and potato, informational type stuff. They specifically chose one that hypes the game up quite a bit. That is also telling.

Mensur's clearly trying to steer thebeasttt away from formulating his own opinion, and is instead trying to get him to buy into the hype provided through a fan video. 

Why do that? If the game truly is that good... shouldn't it stand on its own? Shouldn't that goodness be self-evident in actually playing it? Wouldn't the best, and most direct way to see just how good it is be to actually play it yourself? Why then would Mensur specifically recommend someone watch a fan video over, say, continuing to play it?

Very, very telling.

At least for me, if someone suggested I go watch a hype video, over just playing and experiencing it myself.. I'd find that pretty suspicious.

As for hyping the game up and being so quick to defend it... You guys sure you want to start fanboy-ing it up that much at this stage? I mean, the game is still in a very rough state, and people are hyping it up like it's the second coming already, and running to its defense (e.g. Mensur) when people point out issues they're finding with it. You sure that's a wise thing to do? Seems to me getting too much hype, and being so quick on the defensive with a game that is clearly quite early on in its development could very well backfire. Remember... first impressions are everything. You people could be doing more harm than good.

• SilvonisSilvonis Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Thanks for the support, feedback and comments. We think that it's extremely important to listen to the players and we strive to make improvements based on players comments.

We invite everyone to give Project Gorgon a chance and provide us feedback both here, on our website, and via the in-game reporting system.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Played the game for 3 to 4 hours this saturday and i think i had enough.

I just realised that i don't have that kind of time anymore in my life to invest that kind of hours into games like project gordan. Game is too grindy for the amount of time i have during the week. 

After playing PG i am now sure i am pretty much done with old school MMOS. I am not a teenager anymore like i used to be with nothing but free time and not a care in the world.

I will stick to modern MMOS.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

Nice discussion so far. Imho it might not be good if the game is (over)hyped because it's still in alpha and that might turn people away but it is nice that it gets some attention. Not everyone will like it but maybe someone was looking for something like PG and now found it because of the high score.

And yes the graphic looks older(to be nice) but after a while you really don't care much about it. Well might just be me because I play everygame on low by default because for me gameplay > gfx. If a game cant make me stay with low settings, max wont help much but that is just me. Besides they upgrade lighting and stuff like that sometimes so it improves over time.

Also the game can be annoying at the start. Especially when you go to the crypt to do some quests and/or level your skills a bit. You WILL die often and fast which can be frustrating. But that goes away after 1-2 evenings(3-4h an evening). The thing I liked about it even while hating it (weird, I know) is that you move through the dungeon and die at one spot. Then you keep fighting to that spot and after a while you are further in the dungeon. So you really fight your way to the first boss, might find some gear and finally can go deeper. It is not your normal camp spot x for 5h then camp that spawn aso or chain questing.

Another thing that might annoy people are the quests because they are different from other games. In other games you only get quests you can do at  the time. In PG there is no real lvl limit to quests. You get one and you cant do it for days because the boss or whatever is too strong, too deep in a dungeon or your crafting is too low.

Imho the game needs a bit of different mindset (no offence intended if it comes across as such). It's weird, it is different but quite fun once you figured it out. Also nice to see you posting here Silv :D

So for you a TRUE mmorpg is a Sandbox?  I played all the games that you have mentioned. and yes they are great..but this game in terms of skill sets and the wayyou can enjoy it..is really great! and please bare in mind they are max 3 developers doing this...how many did, SWG, EQ, DAOC, UO have? Be a bit more open minded. 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

It could be good. There will never be a game good enough that everyone likes it. Never. The game isn't horrible. 

I applaud them for at least trying.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Personally I thought the game was pretty bad. I gave it it's fair shot though.
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

The Game content is AMAZING!

The game graphics are acceptable.

You can spend 30 min or 4 hours, doesn't matter, always something to do. A Great game for people with limited time to play!

People who quickly just look at the graphics and then complain the game must be crap are NOT the kind of people i want playing Gorgon with me!  I've played games on computers since there were games on computers, a very long time to play games with almost no graphics and then polygons at best! I judge games on the Content, not the looks, as primary . This Project Gorgon game has the best Gaming Content I have seen in a Decade! < 10 years for those of you who didn't know a decade is 10 years because it wasn't written in the newest best graphics possible! > 

I'd much rather support a game with Amazing content and hope they can afford to make the graphics better in the future then pay to play a good looking game with medicore play at best that i know will not get better content!

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

So for you a TRUE mmorpg is a Sandbox?  I played all the games that you have mentioned. and yes they are great..but this game in terms of skill sets and the wayyou can enjoy it..is really great! and please bare in mind they are max 3 developers doing this...how many did, SWG, EQ, DAOC, UO have? Be a bit more open minded. 

You are pure fanboy. You will argue with everyone because just know this is the best game ever. I hope you are using only white/black tv a looking only white/black movies and you drive only cars from 1930s too.

Yes, sure, we all want deep gameplay, we want to be able to do still new things, that's ok, but they should at leas aim for some  average quality of graphic and level design in 2014 - 2015.

Sure there will be few ppl plying this, because the internet is so huge, that they will always find some ppl able to play it. But that doesn't mean anything, it will be always half good game, it will never change. Some ppl drink own piss because they think is best drink ever.

And the hype? Thats the worst thing ever happened to game business.  Just making ppl to think something is much better then it is.  All these indie guys, they have great ideas, thats for sure, but they have no skills to make it in reality  great like on paper. They just produce half done games.

And you all here on this webpage, you should start little bit think about your self, because all you are doing is just jumping from title to title to title and shouting this one is the best, and then next month, this one is the best and so on and so on and so on. It's crazy. Just stop it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I'm choosing the perma cow life for now. May change my mind later. Newbs come milk me. Lol.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166

The combat in this is too ZZZZZZzzzzzz for my taste.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by LazyDazed

The combat in this is too ZZZZZZzzzzzz for my taste.

Tha'ts why I couldn't handle the game. They revamp that and I might give it a second chance. It's literally the worst combat I have ever seen.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
          If a Indie company can come up with a great game but does not have enough funds to make it work with todays graphics they should sale it to someone that can. Blizzard sure needs a new game and they have tons of money by now. It's like song writers that sale songs to a;ready established groups. Anyways, just a thought....
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by movindude
          If a Indie company can come up with a great game but does not have enough funds to make it work with todays graphics they should sale it to someone that can. Blizzard sure needs a new game and they have tons of money by now. It's like song writers that sale songs to a;ready established groups. Anyways, just a thought....

Except that Blizzard has enough experience, developers/gamers and technology that if they wanted to make this game they would have.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo