Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally Hyped!

MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

It is great to see that this game is getting the hype it deserves!

From the skill based leveling system, to the overall questing mechanics,this game truly can become on the great indie mmos. 

Even the games current state makes it more playable then the AAA mmos in the market!

I really do hope that the kicks starter campaign works well for this guy. I am looking for individuals in DK to see if we can fund this project.

Keep up the hype!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Mensur

It is great to see that this game is getting the hype it deserves!

From the skill based leveling system, to the overall questing mechanics,this game truly can become on the great indie mmos. 

Even the games current state makes it more playable then the AAA mmos in the market!

I really do hope that the kicks starter campaign works well for this guy. I am looking for individuals in DK to see if we can fund this project.

Keep up the hype!

I agree!

Played it for the first time today and the gameplay is awesome compared to any AAA mmos we currently have in market. Can't wait 'till this game is complete and fully playable.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Call me shallow, but I just can't play a game in 2015 that looks like it was made in 1998. I have tried to play some of these ugly indie games, including Project Gorgon, and it's like stepping into a time warp to the nineties. Gameplay does not trump visuals for me. They are equally important.  I'm a PC gamer for many reasons, and one of them is playing games with superior graphics. If you can overlook how ugly this game is, more power to you.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Call me shallow, but I just can't play a game in 2015 that looks like it was made in 1998. I have tried to play some of these ugly indie games, including Project Gorgon, and it's like stepping into a time warp to the nineties. Gameplay does not trump visuals for me. They are equally important.  I'm a PC gamer for many reasons, and one of them is playing games with superior graphics. If you can overlook how ugly this game is, more power to you.

It is a shame that you choose to judge your books/games by their cover. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion my friend! :)

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

I agree with this. I took at look at the game, myself. I found some really good ideas, but through the midst of it I had to literally (not figuratively) force myself to play in the sub-sub-optimal art. I think it's great, but it's not for me because I can't stand it, if that makes sense.

Hype rating should deservedly be in the 7.1 to 7.3 range.

Also, it's just another strong indication "hype rating" on this advertisement (not gaming) site is shockingly, overly manipulable and meaningless.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

I agree with this. I took at look at the game, myself. I found some really good ideas, but through the midst of it I had to literally (not figuratively) force myself to play in the sub-sub-optimal art. I think it's great, but it's not for me because I can't stand it, if that makes sense.

Also, it's just another strong indication "hype rating" on this advertisement (not gaming) site is shockingly, overly manipulable and meaningless.

I can't argue with the comments about the graphics.  I would call them just adequate, for this game,  Certainly better than 1998 though.

Sadly this is likely going to be the ultimate downfall of this game and others like it.    I think a large majority of PC gamers feel that graphics do trump gameplay, in a lot of cases.   Especially for those that like to spend big bucks on their rigs.

Which means, welcome to more of the same, as far as new MMO's go.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Odd, when I first started playing the game the graphics bothered me. After playing the game for months now I actually like the look of the game.  Maybe it grows on you. Or maybe the gameplay elements in my mind outweigh the look of the game, not sure.  I urge you to stick with it if you have misgivings about the graphics, however. 
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Odd, when I first started playing the game the graphics bothered me. After playing the game for months now I actually like the look of the game.  Maybe it grows on you. Or maybe the gameplay elements in my mind outweigh the look of the game, not sure.  I urge you to stick with it if you have misgivings about the graphics, however. 

As gamers today we have lost the ability to play with our imaginations.    Everything has to be ultra realistic or we lose the immersion.   

By the way I voted 7 on the hype, and that dropped it from 9.2 to 9.18.

Originally posted by Boneserino

I don't think that's fair to say. Are you implying a game can't have both exhilarating art and novel game design aspects? Are you saying only under-funded studios are forward-thinking? Why bother with 2004 Vanguardish art, then? If the game core is so amazing, use amusing stick people.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Same for me.  With so many games out there I can now afford to be picky.  I deduct for older looking graphics. 

I have to add there are some classic older games I play just because the theme and story are very enjoyable even if the graphics are 10 years old.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

I really don't think the rating system on this site is a problem.  Its just that there have only been 29 votes.  Once people see it up there and check it out the rating will stabilize to an actual average.  Right now the sample size for the survey is just too small.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

I don't think that's fair to say. Are you implying a game can't have both exhilarating art and novel game design aspects? Are you saying only under-funded studios are forward-thinking? Why bother with 2004 Vanguardish art, then? If the game core is so amazing, use amusing stick people.

Here is your problem Adjuvant1.

You won't get novel game design aspects in a big budget MMO because with huge dollars at stake,  the game devs will design the game to limit risk to themselves.  Hence, make it pretty and make it appeal to as many players as possible.   That is what we have now.

Indie devs can build the unique game design because they are building the game they want.  They don't have the budget for state of the art graphics though.    Unfortunately PC gamer looks down their nose at game with "1998" graphics look.

Do you see the dilemna?   It is almost a catch 22.  

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Graphics are about 5th on my list.  I am going to download it now and check it out.  Looks good to me.  It seems like there are lots of interesting components to the game.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

I really don't think the rating system on this site is a problem.  Its just that there have only been 29 votes.  Once people see it up there and check it out the rating will stabilize to an actual average.  Right now the sample size for the survey is just too small.

Pretty much this. Same thing happened on the "released games" section a few days ago, SMITE came out of nowhere and briefly knocked GW2 / TSW off the top, based on ~2% of the number of votes those games each had.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

When a game is really enjoyable, it can overcome dated graphics... but it IS something that needs to be overcome, don't kid yourselves.

Some clever indie developers that don't have the big budgets for up-to-date 3D graphics sidestep the issue by using a highly stylized look... Telltale Games is a good example of this.

But if you try to do 3D with a basic, dated look, you have an uphill struggle attracting people no matter how good the game is. Minecraft was a fluke that showed that players, at least younger players, can ignore 8-bit 20th century graphics. Just don't expect that trend to last for a long time. 

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade about a game full of good ideas, but the graphics of Gorgon are a problem for me too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

There is a difference between art and graphics. He's talking about graphics.

for the record I CAN play a game that looks like 1998 graphics (or art for that matter) and have been doodling around with the first EQ since Vanguard bit it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I do not mind outdated graphics but in those games that do not have crazy graphics I would like to see a high level of physics , animations and cloth / hair physics. While Gorgon has a good base and features it is as stiff as it can get. 
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

You won't get novel game design aspects in a big budget MMO because with huge dollars at stake,  the game devs will design the game to limit risk to themselves.  Hence, make it pretty and make it appeal to as many players as possible.   That is what we have now.

Indie devs can build the unique game design because they are building the game they want.  They don't have the budget for state of the art graphics though.    Unfortunately PC gamer looks down their nose at game with "1998" graphics look.

You say "PC gamers" accusingly as if the PC doesn't offer the largest selection of retro style gaming available on a single platform.  

Here is where I draw the line, "1998 graphics look" versus "retro style".  The former being a hard limitation of the technology at the time with the latter being a choice of design that best lends itself to the project. So my question is, which category does Project Gorgon fall in? 

If it falls in category one then I believe it deserves to be faulted, however if it falls in category two then it's up to the individual to decide if they find it pleasant or not.  And we can't use budgets or indie status to excuse this topic, there have been too many indie projects released that equal or surpass AAA games in beauty.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I don't think your opinion of the game should be considered shallow, so long as you gave the game a chance. imho.

The game has a great concept in a gameplay perspective, but visuals are very important. Especially when you are looking for immersion. Which alot, not all, but a lot of gamers look for when playing role playing video games. This game coupled with some nice visuals and great animations would make it more appealing. 

I'm sure people will play it and hopefully it will find success. This game certainly isn't for everyone and it shouldn't have to be. 

On a side note, I do enjoy retro games and revisited eq1 just to experience nostalgia and had some fun a few months back. In the end of the day, I still prefer high quality animation and models coupled with great gameplay and story. 

I don't entirely agree. I think "those studios" who "do it exclusively for the income" do that and should be shunned by self-respecting gamers. Here, we're talking about Allods, Cryptic, ArenaNet, Perfect World, XL, sadly now Mythic, or anything else owned by Electronic Arts. Many of "those" exist and they're skewing your perspective to believe it's not possible. It's hard to argue otherwise, too, with recent less-than-stellar performances by Carbine and Zenimax, who leaned a bit heavy toward a niche audience and are coming up short.

I believe some companies care to produce material that's interesting and innovative, not just soak a percentage of the "mmo gaming pie". Some exist and more are coming. You just need to sift through all the bullshit you're being spoonfed by advertisement sites like mmorpg.com to find them.

Originally posted by Iselin

When a game is really enjoyable, it can overcome dated graphics... but it IS something that needs to be overcome, don't kid yourselves.

Some clever indie developers that don't have the big budgets for up-to-date 3D graphics sidestep the issue by using a highly stylized look... Telltale Games is a good example of this.

But if you try to do 3D with a basic, dated look, you have an uphill struggle attracting people no matter how good the game is. Minecraft was a fluke that showed that players, at least younger players, can ignore 8-bit 20th century graphics. Just don't expect that trend to last for a long time. 

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade about a game full of good ideas, but the graphics of Gorgon are a problem for me too.

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head here, Iselin,  as far as the graphics go.

I think we all have different tolerances towards gameplay versus how a game looks.    Project Gorgon is walking that thin line that separates many of us, for sure.

In the case of Gorgon I would say they are definitely trying to improve the gameplay aspect as much as possible and to me that makes sense.  They can do the most good for the game there I think.  Graphics improvements would have to be huge to impress those players, and that is probably just not realistic.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

How does this game deserve any hype? Not only does it somehow look worse then Everquest in 2014 but the mechanics and gameplay are garbage as well.

Go play the actual alpha release and come back here and hype this game with a straight face. I realize it's early in development but damn...... I found zero potential whatsoever in a game this poorly designed.

This is why every sandbox fails, devs think we have no standards then get a nice dose of reality when they try to launch with a subpar product. The fanboi's wrapping a bowtie around a turd and calling it gold doesn't help either.

Originally posted by Thebeasttt

How does this game deserve any hype? Not only does it somehow look worse then Everquest in 2014 but the mechanics and gameplay are garbage as well.

Go play the actual alpha release and come back here and hype this game with a straight face. I realize it's early in development but damn...... I found zero potential whatsoever in a game this poorly designed.

This is why every sandbox fails, devs think we have no standards then get a nice dose of reality when they try to launch with a subpar product. The fanboi's wrapping a bowtie around a turd and calling it gold doesn't help either.

Thanks for your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Well, I am playing everquest now and I don't find this statement true at all. Oh sure, it doesn't rival what is going on now in games as far as graphics (and it has an old school feel in both graphics and game play) but its graphics are still better than EQ.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Guys, I honestly saw this game with a 9 on the hype meter. I went to check it out. I literally said out loud:

"What in the ever loving fuck is this?"

I don't care what systems are proposed the game looks like complete utter trash. I can't be immersed into this.

This is theory crafted nostalgic kickstarter BS. I'm sorry, I can't. If THIS is what MMORPG is "supposed" to be then I understand why the genre is at a stand still. There's a wild difference in a opinion.

It seems the averge fan can't get what they want. It's always an extreme that ignores something important. 

Geez man, can we get a visually appealing game with great combat, great character variation, open world, great crafting and economy, skills, classes etc with a reasonably priced subscription model? At this point I'm willing to buy into any setting. I don't care if its based in the Wild West or Medieval Times, as long as the quality speaks to a good game from 2014-2015.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯