Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a good computer / monitor?

RasereiRaserei Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I'm looking to get a gaming PC and a better monitor than my current setup.

My current setup is:

(Had this computer for roughly 5 years)

NVIDIA 650 GTX
6GB Ram DDR3
i7 processor (One of the older ones)

My monitor isn't HD and only 19 inches. 

Monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ27R2744

Computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227591

Are these good choices?
If not, why?

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Yes, that computer will perform well.  However, it is not the best performance you could get for the price.  Building your own ensures you get the best parts for your money, and it isn't that hard if you know how to turn a screwdriver and watch Youtube videos.

The computer you linked has one serious flaw for the budget range:  the SSD size.  For the $1500-$2000 budget range, you could easily get a ~250GB SSD, or possibly even a ~500GB SSD in your build.

The Core i7 series is generally considered to not be worth the extra cost for the slight (if any) performance gains in games.  A Core i5 is the standard gaming processor.

The system doesn't need 16GB of RAM.  A system with 8GB will have plenty for gaming unless you're trying to multi-box.

Your current setup might be fine for gaming.  You could probably just upgrade your video card and get more life out of the system.  It is your money, though.

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,411

You're spending a lot more to the computer than you'd need to. Building yourself and making a bit more economical choices you could get nearly as good with a lot less money.

If you want to spend that much money, that's a really good computer except the SSD hard disk. At that price you should get a lot larger SSD hard disk.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,388
    Originally posted by Raserei

My current setup is:

NVIDIA 650 GTX
    6GB Ram DDR3

Monitor:

Computer:

Are these good choices?
    If not, why?

That monitor is pretty damn expensive for a 1080p 27". For that amount of money - actually for a lot less - you could get a "true 27" 1440p (which a 980GTX can handle just fine) with the better color of an IPS panel instead of the cheap TN panel that the Acer you linked has. That Acer has features and a price designed to gouge anyone who doesn't know very much about monitors - which is most people.

This 1440p Dell IPS is a much better choice for $200 less @ Newegg: Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,078
    Originally posted by Raserei

My current setup is:

NVIDIA 650 GTX
    6GB Ram DDR3

Monitor:

Computer:

Are these good choices?
    If not, why?

$780 for a TN monitor?  Oh my.  That strikes me as obviously overpriced, and a cursory Google check finds exactly the same thing available elsewhere for $600.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9178268&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp1901169&kpid=9178268&gclid=CjwKEAiA2dSkBRCX8KmK5YrFviwSJACeYweCt0qUqc0rNEamlIeQDSxIgy6GOSWKIKkAIGdw9AIo3BoCGEXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40485375?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=24&adid=22222222227027997411&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59880692769&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=93948070089&veh=sem

Still, you should realize that that monitor will have poor image quality.  If you pay $600 for it, you should understand that there are two major things that you're paying for:

1)  144 Hz refresh rate.  Most monitors can refresh at around 60 Hz, and higher image quality really isn't even compatible with that sort of refresh rate.  Whether you value refresh rate or image quality more is a personal preference, so I'm not here to criticize your preferences, but just to make sure you understand what you're paying for.

2)  G-sync support.  Adaptive Sync is coming early next year and will add no cost to monitors.  G-sync is a proprietary version of the same thing that only works with Nvidia GPUs and adds $100+ to the cost of a monitor.  The advantage of G-sync is that it's available today, but you should understand that in about three months, you'll be able to get something equivalent that works with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs and doesn't add to the cost of a monitor.

-----

As for the computer itself, prebuilts are virtually never good choices.  In fact, the next prebuilt I see that is a good choice will probably be the first.  The computer will have ample performance, so that's not really the problem.  It wouldn't be hard to find prebuilt desktops that will offer vastly worse gaming performance in about the same price range.

But there are a couple of issues.  First is component quality.  What power supply does it have?  What motherboard?  What SSD?  If they were good, they'd tell you exactly what the hardware is.  If they have to hide it from you, it often means that they're using the cheapest thing they could find that technically meets their claimed specs.  iBuyPower doesn't tend to shove cheap junk motherboards on people the way that Dell or HP will, but their "default" power supplies can be rather problematic.  As in, a significant risk to fry the entire system problematic.

It looks like you have a large enough budget that paying an extra 10%-20% for someone else to screw components together for you isn't really a problem.  But even in that case, you're better off choosing parts from a site that will let you pick the exact parts.  In this case, iBuyPower will let you pick something nice through their web site and fix shoddy component selection.  But you have to do that through their web site, not by buying a prebuilt through New Egg.  If you're interested in going that route, I could pick out a build from their site for you.  (Other sites also let you pick nice parts and then assemble it for you.  For example, AVA Direct.)

Alternatively, you could probably save a couple hundred dollars or so by getting the same parts and screwing them together yourself.  That's the most sensible route for most gamers looking for a nice system, though it makes less sense for people with physical handicaps that prevent effective use of a screwdriver, or for people with a lot of spare money but not so much spare time.  The price tag on the parts you're looking at means you could easily be in that last category.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I have one of these babies 28" U28D590D UHD Gaming Monitor which I paid £350 which is about $500  http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitors/design/LU28D590DS/EN?gclid=CjwKEAiA2dSkBRCX8KmK5YrFviwSJACeYweCdEELRRKV7WRLO8RzGlN2futHWl4hg-NxiQtqEZc2OxoCAbDw_wcB and I am playing lots of the latest PC games in amazing 1 Billion colours. I'm that impressed I have just ordered another two for playing Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen in the coming year or so.

Epic bit of kit.

Asbo

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 737

Processor would be good for video editing and other things you probably won't do in gaming.

That processor forces you to to need a more expensive motherboard and more expensive ram.  Close to $200 more for the ram amount they have and $150-$200 more for the motherboard (this is assuming they went the cheapest x99 route and choosing the cheapest 4790k route)

Video card is nice, but $200 nicer than the 970?.. I don't think so at least.

I have found more problems playing games on windows 8 than I have features worth having it... actually I in general don't see the value of windows 8... its windows vista again another inferior product that is worse than the previous.

You are also limiting your personal preference (or forcing yourself to pay again) when it comes to a case, keyboard, and mouse.

For the price you could have some random person build the computer for you with better parts for gaming and that person would walk away with $500 after giving you $200 back for no reason.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,078
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I am playing lots of the latest PC games in amazing 1 Billion colours.

That's a really dumb marketing gimmick.  We've had 2^24 colors for a long time and stayed there because that already offers more gradiation in colors than the human eye can distinguish between, anyway.  Furthermore, monitors struggling to display colors exactly right completely swamps the effect of red, green, or blue values being off by a point or two.  It's also probable that the games you play treat colors as 24-bit anyway, as the only difference that it would make to offer more colors is lower frame rates.

It might be a nice monitor.  But having 10 bits for each of red, green, and blue values rather than 8 is not a reason for it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,388
    Originally posted by phantomghost

I have found more problems playing games on windows 8 than I have features worth having it... actually I in general don't see the value of windows 8... its windows vista again another inferior product that is worse than the previous.

Odd since Windows 8 is much more robust than any previous version. Yes, the interface sucks... which is why I've been running Start8 with it and I never see the tiles.

If you're having problems playing games with it I suggest you look somewhere else and don't perpetuate baseless urban legends.

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I am playing lots of the latest PC games in amazing 1 Billion colours.

That's a really dumb marketing gimmick.  We've had 2^24 colors for a long time and stayed there because that already offers more gradiation in colors than the human eye can distinguish between, anyway.  Furthermore, monitors struggling to display colors exactly right completely swamps the effect of red, green, or blue values being off by a point or two.  It's also probable that the games you play treat colors as 24-bit anyway, as the only difference that it would make to offer more colors is lower frame rates.

It might be a nice monitor.  But having 10 bits for each of red, green, and blue values rather than 8 is not a reason for it.

Quizzical I get your point and I didn't buy it because of the 1 Billion line, I have an old Dell and have just built a kick ass PC with 2x780ti in sli and wanted a decent monitor and all my research directed me to this not just from a gaming aspect but also modeling and photography work. I had no intentions or writing a review for the monitor just to show how impressed I was and it also has a few faults too so it's not perfect, however for the price it is very good.

But what I noticed with my gaming is things look a hell of a lot more smoother also cleaner and I can see further distance too (due to the increased responsiveness and reduced input latency of the TN panel), moving images just look amazing and this monitor could be used to give a serious advantage in e-sports or shooting games due to it's increased resolution, aliasing (stair step effect) is still somewhat visible but is greatly reduced and is 'almost' invisible, you'd still want to apply a small amount of anti-aliasing to eliminate the effect.

The colours look exceptionally good for a TN panel, the primary red, green and blue colours have very little if any vertical shifting, even colours such as pink appear nice and flat with no gradient. A grey image will unfortunately revel the tell tail signs that it is a TN panel and will exhibit a small amount of shifting. Looking at the monitor from above or below will shift the gamma about slightly as you would expect from any based TN panel. Black levels are also exceptionally good.

Now a couple of the things which let this monitor down for me was text size is tiny and the very cheap and poor designed stand that needs to be replaced or modified  and the power cable I got with it was not the type used in the UK but that's just me being petty.

I hope this gives you all an insight to what I feel is if not the best, one of the best 28 inch gaming monitor and I give it an 8/10 and I have been gaming since my Atari 1040 days and hope this helps the OP with his/her choice... Happy Christmas all ;)

Asbo

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Both are overpriced and not worth.