Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG is dead.

Lets face it..  looking ahead nothing going to revive it either.. EQ Next.. maybe? probably not.. for all i know the game might aswell release 2017.

Im tired of following things.. i need to be a Hero and build my own IKEA Furniture

Crafting- Overrated.

Im tired of noobs/10 year olds making the same gear as i have..same mount.. same status..

im tired of the no existant death penalties.. 

When will MMORPG make it hard leveling? when will they truly innovate.. 

The F2P modell is sickening.. its all about getting them millions of players/bots/goldsellers etc.. 

so they can put up on the website "XXXXX Game just reached 5mil players"

Enough of the whine.. here are my general tips for a great new mmorpg..fitting the decade we live in.

Leveling is hard.. levels get blocked if you dont defeat some bosses/time trials.. for every 5-10 levels you are faced with that Challenge.. one player can be stuck on lvl 40 for 3 weeks.. i dont give a f.. he better play better.

Gear is extremly hard to get by.. but they look good.. and rewards you.. 

Politcal Parties.. yes you heard me.. tax issues/housing/war/sales etc.. you vote for what suits you best. 

I want new players to look like ordinary soldiers..i dont want them to be a Hero from lvl 1.. i.e WoW is like big friggin circus.. everyone has purple dragons.. and 2meter long swords.. there are actually 100 Heroes per like 1 NPC inhabitant.. logic much. (not just wow every game.. just a town with 100s of heroes)

maybe its the beer..or maybe its the boredom.. nothing to play.. maybe i just cheerish the golden years of MMORPG EQ1>WoW.. but that was that Decade.. why are we forced to play the old.. when we have all that takes to make it better&new.

Please let the game be expensive, monthly aswell.. id rather have a fine community than circus.. 

I want to face Dragons... knowing that if i die i might not be able to ressurect 24h.. but if me and my mates manage to kill him we get the epic treasure chest behind him..which will enrich us. But you think thats all? you failed to kill the Dragon and you cant rez for a long time.. hell no.. that Dragon revenges and flies away to your house and burns it down. 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I believe I can state confidently EQ Next will never meet your criteria.  However, there is enough coming out that hopefully you will find something you may like. If not, maybe it is time to move on and find another hobby.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

While I do understand where you are coming from, I really don't think you understand the decade we are living in.

Games are being made exactly the way the majority of the player base wants, these features you list appeal to a much smaller niche which most larger developers are not interested in targeting.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• astronautzastronautz Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Kyleran

While I do understand where you are coming from, I really don't think you understand the decade we are living in.

Games are being made exactly the way the majority of the player base wants, these features you list appeal to a much smaller niche which most larger developers are not interested in targeting.

So true and yet so sad....

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by astronautz

Enough of the whine.. here are my general tips for a great new mmorpg..fitting the decade we live in.

Leveling is hard.. levels get blocked if you dont defeat some bosses/time trials.. for every 5-10 levels you are faced with that Challenge.. one player can be stuck on lvl 40 for 3 weeks.. i dont give a f.. he better play better.

Politcal Parties.. yes you heard me.. tax issues/housing/war/sales etc.. you vote for what suits you best. 

I want new players to look like ordinary soldiers..i dont want them to be a Hero from lvl 1.. i.e WoW is like big friggin circus.. everyone has purple dragons.. and 2meter long swords.. there are actually 100 Heroes per like 1 NPC inhabitant.. logic much. (not just wow every game.. just a town with 100s of heroes)

maybe its the beer..or maybe its the boredom.. nothing to play.. maybe i just cheerish the golden years of MMORPG EQ1>WoW.. but that was that Decade.. why are we forced to play the old.. when we have all that takes to make it better&new.

Please let the game be expensive, monthly aswell.. id rather have a fine community than circus.. 

I want to face Dragons... knowing that if i die i might not be able to ressurect 24h.. but if me and my mates manage to kill him we get the epic treasure chest behind him..which will enrich us. But you think thats all? you failed to kill the Dragon and you cant rez for a long time.. hell no.. that Dragon revenges and flies away to your house and burns it down. 

First of all, leveling in EQ was not hard.  It was just long.  Hell levels meant you spent weeks/months grinding out 1-2 levels, but all you were doing in that span of time was standing in one area auto attacking, occasionally clicking one of 8 spells.  The only class in EQ that comes close to a class in a modern MMO was the bard.  Twisting meant you had to continue cycling through a rotation of songs in order to keep up buffs/DPS.

I could literally tank a mob, hold a private /tell conversation, chat with my group, and chat with my guild all at the same time.  Can't do that in WoW.

Secondly, get off your L2P high horse.  Video games are time wasters.  Getting some sort of high, feeling superior because you have skills in a video game is laughable.  There's a challenge in every game if you seek it.  Problem is, the same people that claim MMOs are too easy have probably never set foot on some of the highest end raid content in their MMO lives.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

First of all, leveling in EQ was not hard.  It was just long.  Hell levels meant you spent weeks/months grinding out 1-2 levels, but all you were doing in that span of time was standing in one area auto attacking, occasionally clicking one of 8 spells.  The only class in EQ that comes close to a class in a modern MMO was the bard.  Twisting meant you had to continue cycling through a rotation of songs in order to keep up buffs/DPS.

I could literally tank a mob, hold a private /tell conversation, chat with my group, and chat with my guild all at the same time.  Can't do that in WoW.

Secondly, get off your L2P high horse.  Video games are time wasters.  Getting some sort of high, feeling superior because you have skills in a video game is laughable.  There's a challenge in every game if you seek it.  Problem is, the same people that claim MMOs are too easy have probably never set foot on some of the highest end raid content in their MMO lives.

"First of all, leveling in EQ was not hard."

You did not get me.. thats what i mean.. every mmorpg is just copy copy.. anything new&innovative is the pay model.. F2P.. pay 10USD for a horse/special unique cloths/and a your name is in Gold color..

The easy leveling, crafting..bla bla.. its a thing of the past.. there comes a limit of how much we can copy untill it dies out.. the greed will kill this genre and we  will never know what hit us..but its probably already dead.

Untill a young male self made billionaire decides to make a MMORPG that is ruthless.

Why we need a game like this.. its to set a new standard.. its to make a game which people actually are afraid of playing.. fear its demand.. fear its gameplay.. fear the brutallity.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Dead? no , but in great downside 

First all because MOBAS

Second because people start everything its grind(i remember this * word dont exist ever its magic)

Third most people want instant gratification people forget how hard is archive something in hardcore games

Four developer forget about replay value to dont need add contet every week , most actual mmo and futures people going burn 3yr developing in 1 moth or less 

Main because contet are easy and people want consume everytime more fast and fast 

Like or not developer can project , code , debug , qa in same speed has player consume 

its why developer need focus in hard contet - Skill wise , Grind wise , or Replay value 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

It sucks remembering how mmo's used to be. We either have to suck it up or get a new hobby.

Originally posted by Hariken

It sucks remembering how mmo's used to be. We either have to suck it up or get a new hobby.

I wont suck it up.. ill do what ive done for the past 7 years.. visit MMORPG daily.. sometimes fall for a  game with some "ok promises"..only to realize you where naive and playing the same unrewarding unsatisfying short term game as always

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Consider yourself fortunate if you got to play during the early days of MMO's, because the current market isn't really there for that play style anymore. It was a good time with a new car smell. So many great DAoC memories, community and realm pride meant everything.

Maybe it's just as well, it would be hard to commit the same amount of time to gaming like that anymore.

Originally posted by Brixon

Consider yourself fortunate if you got to play during the early days of MMO's, because the current market isn't really there for that play style anymore. It was a good time with a new car smell. So many great DAoC memories, community and realm pride meant everything.

Maybe it's just as well, it would be hard to commit the same amount of time to gaming like that anymore.

Imagine yourself in that time thinking "I wonder what MMORPGs will be like in 2015".. and thats like 14 years ago.. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Hariken

Depends on your perspective.

I am glad MMOs are now better games. New hobby ... may be i can consider myself quit the old classical MMO, and embrace the new.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

MMORPG not dead , right word for MMORPG is "extinct" not "dead" . And it not extinct ... yet.

An MMORPG may "dead" but a genre is "extinct".

But it sure gone wrong way.

Tell the true , right now what i want to see not new MMORPG that suit me , but tools to make one by my own.

It not like i can build from scratch , but at lest i want something i can change to suit my taste.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeh .. and it is great when my gaming preferences are quite aligned with the masses. More convenience, more games, less wait, less down-time, less interactions between players ....

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I think that even if there were games that would appeal to the EQ crowd, the sheer amounts of games getting released makes it incredibly hard to find that game.

• xonedlxonedl Member UncommonPosts: 25

It's not dead, but just plain boring.

They just don't last me more than 1 month, doesn't matter f2p, b2p, or subscription. There is nothing to keep me going.

Maybe it just me being boring, but I kinda that type of niche player that asking for things that doesn't exist but maybe 50 years later or so. What I want? A true living fantasy world. NPC shouldn't just be an exp/reward/function vending machine rooted at one place. And fixed quest line / quest hub is getting really old.

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

MMORPG's that are hard,

fail.

Just look at Wildstar,lol.

They had to make it more casual friendly to hang on to what player base they had after launch.

Originally posted by holyneo

MMORPG's that are hard,

fail.

Just look at Wildstar,lol.

They had to make it more casual friendly to hang on to what player base they had after launch.

No you are looking at the wrong way.. WildStar did what it was made to do.. a big casual cartoony game.. when it did not deliver enough casual.. the same casual people it attracted, left.

You have to make a hard game from the core.. it includes graphics/gameplay and originality.

Imagine yourself in that time thinking "I wonder what MMORPGs will be like in 2015".. and thats like 14 years ago.. 

I figured they would advance, but I didn't expect them to have no souls. Without a community, there is no soul. If there is no reason to work together, then why are we all playing together? Not sure how we get that back, but games like SWG were a good example of how to create a community, by creating need for a community.

• Originally posted by Kyleran

this.

And I'm glad that I'm one of the majority...

I figured they would advance, but I didn't expect them to have no souls. Without a community, there is no soul. If there is no reason to work together, then why are we all playing together? Not sure how we get that back, but games like SWG were a good example of how to create a community, by creating need for a community.

Just look at one of todays most popular game.. i.e Hearthstone (its not a mmorpg i know).. but you have basically 0 interaction..there is no chat.. there is no stats.. history of play. NOTHING.. its a card game in which people spend 300-400USD just to catch up to all the good cards..and there is like one button ingame and its says "play".. and yet it achieved 20mil players ive heard.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I don't think innovate means what you think it does.  It certainly doesn't mean repeating things done a decade ago.

Every single one of the features you miss that have been abandoned where done so because someone innovated a new system where they did away with them and it became so popular as to become the norm.  Developers don't just decide to give up on popular systems they abandon the ones that don't work and clearly most of the things you lament about don't work outside small audiences.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Funny...you call out the guy but yet your last couple sentences scream elitist.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Just look at one of todays most popular game.. i.e Hearthstone (its not a mmorpg i know).. but you have basically 0 interaction..there is no chat.. there is no stats.. history of play. NOTHING.. its a card game in which people spend 300-400USD just to catch up to all the good cards..and there is like one button ingame and its says "play".. and yet it achieved 20mil players ive heard.

Solitaire is very popular as well.

Originally posted by udon

I don't think innovate means what you think it does.  It certainly doesn't mean repeating things done a decade ago.

Every single one of the features you miss that have been abandoned where done so because someone innovated a new system where they did away with them and it became so popular as to become the norm.  Developers don't just decide to give up on popular systems they abandon the ones that don't work and clearly most of the things you lament about don't work outside small audiences.

there is good innovation..and bad.

The games that we have been given..are the total proof.. the games are utterly pointless/bad.

But apparently as long as its F2P we play it.. bring all your friends... cost them 0 bucks.. lets finish the game in 3weeks.

and then quit.. later the game provides the numbers "peak of 6mil players..success" 

while the game will be forgotten.. and we go on to the next crackpipe.. 

Trust me..if anyone had the cojones to risk 50-100mil usd to make a brutal game.. one that gives goosebumps.. one that you respect.. slowly but steady the game would grow and grow. 

Most players where playing Super Mario when players played EQ1.. that did not stop it from being a TRULY great game.

Majority of people are what they often always are..game jumping low attention span people.. they dont really care..

and the F2P fuels their addicition..of ruthless "dont give a crap..going on to the next.. ill play 10mmorpgs this year"

We the 10% looking for that true dedication to a game that provides longterm community.. and rewards.... nowhere to be found.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I'd rather see more levelless classless mmorpg with an emphasis on one character per player, significantly large worlds, and no "endgame".

The guy says MMORPGs are dead, then asks immediately for levelling.  Why have the same tired, boring mechanics if you're tired of boring copies?

I want to make a character based on what I do with that character, whether it's the things it can do, how players and non-player characters precieve it, or even through intrigue and economics.

If my character can have a significant impact on a town in a world while remaining too weak to lift a sword and having no gold to his name, that's the kind of MMO I want.

Playing a character that starts using a bow, and thus can never, ever, in the decades you play be able to use an axe no matter how strong you get is just ridiculous and disgustingly ancient game design.

Let's not have "What class will you play"

Let's have "What are you going to do with your character?"