Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not looking forward to split "realms"

CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

As much as having 2 realms that are opposed to each other sounds good I have yet to enjoy a game that forces you to be seperated. I hated it in AO and I hated it in DaoC.

Why? Well, how many people do you know that are gonna play? How many do you know that have a wide variety of ideas on what race they wish to be. Are you lucky enough that they are all on the same "side"? I'm not.

I hope they do not go live with it disallowing the horde/alliance characters to group. I'm looking for coop'content, not PVP.

IMO

Comments

• DiabolicalDiabolical Member Posts: 27
    Unfortunately that's the way it has to be in WoW. Either Horde or Alliance you choose. I have 12 friends who are gonna play this game with me and some of them like the Horde races, and some the Alliance. Majority of my friends chose the Alliance races, so i chose Human. It can't be helped. However, i heard that you can do some quests for the opposition and be more popular with them, allowing you to access their cities and fight alongside them, in the process however, you lose popularity in your own faction. I was thinking that perhaps we could reach a neutral point where we are not liked nor hated by both parties, thus allowing ourselves to be able to enter any place/area dominated by either faction as and when we like,...well, its just a thought image

Áh¾ß¤ðÑ®

Áh?ß?ðÑ®

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by Celestian

As much as having 2 realms that are opposed to each other sounds good I have yet to enjoy a game that forces you to be seperated. I hated it in AO and I hated it in DaoC.

Why? Well, how many people do you know that are gonna play? How many do you know that have a wide variety of ideas on what race they wish to be. Are you lucky enough that they are all on the same "side"? I'm not.
    I hope they do not go live with it disallowing the horde/alliance characters to group. I'm looking for coop'content, not PVP.

IMO

Dont hold your breath then....That is the way that WoW is going to be.

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Perhaps, we'll see. I hope not.

WOW is suppose to be the "casual" gamer friendly or at least they say it's suppose to be... and if a casual gamer can't play with his friends I don't think it'll be all that casual gamer friendly.

Are you forced to PVP the opposite side? If not why the division at all? Maybe I've got the wrong idea about WOW, but without PVP I don't see the point of split realms.

As much as I like their games, and I'll probably buy and play this, I doubt it'll be something I play very long simply for the fact that everyone I know will be on different sides one way or another. For co'op play I'll have to play EQ2.

• odinwiseodinwise Member Posts: 79
    sounds good to me!! :)

Pune!
    For the Horde!!

Perhaps, we'll see. I hope not.
    WOW is suppose to be the "casual" gamer friendly or at least they say it's suppose to be... and if a casual gamer can't play with his friends I don't think it'll be all that casual gamer friendly.
    Are you forced to PVP the opposite side? If not why the division at all? Maybe I've got the wrong idea about WOW, but without PVP I don't see the point of split realms.
    As much as I like their games, and I'll probably buy and play this, I doubt it'll be something I play very long simply for the fact that everyone I know will be on different sides one way or another. For co'op play I'll have to play EQ2.

There is 10% PvP in WoW.It will be of the consentual type meaning if you enter the PvP area you are giveing consent for others to PvP with/against you.There are also duels and arenas to battle in.Ergo,if you do not wish to partake in any PvP action then dont go into the PvP designated areas.Simple as that.I dont think they are forceing anyone to do something they dont want to do.

About the co-op thing...Well I guess people will have to get over it or make the same faction based characters as their friends.Someone will have to give a bit.Either you give up playing a certain faction so you can play with your friends or you give up the ability to play with you friends to play that certain faction.

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Omol da'Ox

That's the point I'm trying to make. They will be asking people right off the bat to either compromise and play a character/race they didn't really want to to begin with. If they wanna make a long lasting game like some of the other online games that's a bad start.

I might ignore some factors of the game that don't really affect me that much but if I'm forced to play a race so I can play with my friends I'm not happy with I will have a very little patients for the game.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

That sounds right to me.  Here's an example.

WW2 game...

Why would you want to be a Nazi,  but still be allies with Great Britian?  It's the same idea...  if you're a Troll and want to be a "good guy" with the humans...  Just doesn't make sence.

I see where you're going with this,  that anyone should be on the same side,  but I persoanlly like it the way it's going to be.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

That's the point I'm trying to make. They will be asking people right off the bat to either compromise and play a character/race they didn't really want to to begin with. If they wanna make a long lasting game like some of the other online games that's a bad start.
    I might ignore some factors of the game that don't really affect me that much but if I'm forced to play a race so I can play with my friends I'm not happy with I will have a very little patients for the game.

Then maybe this game is not for you..If you dont want to compromise then that is your choice and the choice that you will have to live with.Either way,no matter how you look at it you are still playing with your friend(s).Wiether it is with them or against them.

I dont think it would be a bad start either.It wouldnt be WarCraft if a Troll could group with a Human,or a undead priest with a dwarven mage.There is a story to adhere to.

Now look at DAoC,to a point it is the same way,cept with more classes to choose from each of the realms.That game is doing fairly well and they have factions/realms also.

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Omol da'Ox

Now look at DAoC,to a point it is the same way,cept with more classes to choose from each of the realms.That game is doing fairly well and they have factions/realms also.
    Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Indeed, but with a small amount of PVP (someone said 5%??) there is no need to have a seperated realm system. DAoC is almost all about RVR, end game is nothing but RVR (least was for me). Shadowbane is ALL PVP and has no such divisions either. Granted they each have their own backstory and such but EQ pulled it off. People can RP their dislikes for other races but don't force them to not play together if thats not something that interests them.

Thats just my opinion in any case. I just hate the fact that if I want to plan an orc and everyone is night elf/dorf I'll either be playing with people I don't know or have to play something I don't really want to to begin with. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I know if they didn't have this it would keep my interests in the game much longer than with it.

• SuperZwerverSuperZwerver Member Posts: 293

There are a lot of faithfull Warcraft players that are going to play WoW. They know the lore of warcraft and al. You don't want to know how much whining there was on the battle.net forums when people heared about that the undead are alligned with the Horde and gnomes with the Alliance. So Blizzard wouldn't survive it I think if they announced that orc's and humans could fight side by side.

And i dont think its even certain that for example Tauren and Dwarfes can't team. Its just that in the first levels of your character you can't talk language of the oppsite side therefor you also can't team with them. And learning the skill to speak the language of the oppsite side takes a long time. 

Achiever 80%
    Socializer 60%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Flych - 70 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin - Tarren Mill (EU)
    Mediocre - 70 Undead Discipline Priest - Tarren Mill (EU)

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Indeed, but with a small amount of PVP (someone said 5%??) there is no need to have a seperated realm system. DAoC is almost all about RVR, end game is nothing but RVR (least was for me). Shadowbane is ALL PVP and has no such divisions either. Granted they each have their own backstory and such but EQ pulled it off. People can RP their dislikes for other races but don't force them to not play together if thats not something that interests them.

Thats just my opinion in any case. I just hate the fact that if I want to plan an orc and everyone is night elf/dorf I'll either be playing with people I don't know or have to play something I don't really want to to begin with. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I know if they didn't have this it would keep my interests in the game much longer than with it.

There is going to be 10% PvP landmass in which to PvP in.There will also be arenas and duels that you can partake in.No one really knows what all Blizzard has instore for WoW untill either they start beta,release more info or information leaks.

They are going to have factions either way,so people that dont like the idea will either have to suck it up or not play the game.Simple as that.The game is too near completion at the moment to be changeing things on the fly.

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Omol da'Ox

Originally posted by Omol

They are going to have factions either way,so people that dont like the idea will either have to suck it up or not play the game.Simple as that.The game is too near completion at the moment to be changeing things on the fly.

This is hardly on the fly. They haven't even begun to beta test it with anyone besides internal staff.  This game probably won't see the light of day (retail) for at least another 8-10 months.

I won't "suck it up" as you say, if it comes down to having fun versus not playing I'll go elsewhere. I'm just pointing out that because of this they are already going to be minus some people. I just find this whole thing hard to believe when they have been good in the past about making a game "fun" and not a compromise.

The funny thing is I doubt very much that you have the faintest clue what WoW has said in this regard and yet it seems its written in stone. I say this because I follow the forums and have yet to see it even brought up. So, unless you have some inside connection I don't think its as final as you make it out. Lets hope they are more open to suggestions than Verant.

Ok well you have your opinions I have mine.We will see in the end.

Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

Omol da'Ox

• ultimusxxxultimusxxx Member Posts: 6
    It'll be awesome because then u can sorta have WARS, which is why they entitled it World of WARcraft. without people being able to fight against one another and still have allies then the game would lose sooo many players and then the game wouldn't be fun anymore.
  • TansTans Member Posts: 240

Stop bumping up very old threads.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------
    Why are you reading this? This is crap compared to what's above.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Originally posted by ultimusxxx
    It'll be awesome because then u can sorta have WARS, which is why they entitled it World of WARcraft. without people being able to fight against one another and still have allies then the game would lose sooo many players and then the game wouldn't be fun anymore.

ultimus, ultimus, ultimus...ultimus...

this is the 3rd 2 year old thread I've found that you've bumped...