Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

I support no flying in WoD by a long shot.  Overall I feel so connected to this expansion rather than the last couple of ones soley on the purpose that I have to fight and think my way through the content rather than fly over everything and drop on the objective.  

Flying was fun when it first came out.  Then it became a reason to by lazy and not experience all of the content.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205

When I first got my flying mount in TBC it was so liberating getting to the sky and enjoying the vistas. A 280% griffon was even more amazing, so much speed! I was making so much money from Shadowmoon herbalism lol.

Then there was then Netherdrake farm on a fly-only access island in the sky. AWESOME. 

Sweet memories.

Now I get to ride at soil level on my talbuk or 6th reskinned "rare" wolf or whatever. So boring. Always loved flying. Can't care less about exploring the world on foot and doing jumping puzzles, I'd rather spend my time in ARENA or RAIDS. Can't care less about open world PvP either, I prefer organized rated PvP.

Getting somewhere fast&efficient is what I always wanted. I don't have time to mess around. 

So yeah. No more flying in Draenor is tragic. At least I have that  Avianna  feather thing that can get me half-zone fast enough. The gliders are-half-decent as well.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I agree with most people here. No-flying is always a good thing. It allows you to discover things, see the landscape, and exposes you to potential PvP while trailing across areas. 

I can see how flying is good to get through old content, but it is an absurd feature to have in current-content for any mmorpg, it just promotes individually skipping through everything to get to the desired destination, making the game even less of a mmo. Plus there are flight paths for those that want to afk while their toon gets somewhere.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    After thinking about the whole flight vs no-flight thing, I think flight should be implemented only at the end of the legendary ring quest line, so it can be earned rather than handed to people. I've always loved flight in WoW and honestly it was the main reason I would re-sub since many games either didn't have it or would half-arse it. But it was honestly handed to people when you got to a certain level or to cap which I never really liked. People saying flight kills immersion are just talking out of their arse tbh since they don't really even pay attention to the elements of wow. Why would I want a dragon that can't fly? riding a flyable mount that can't fly wouldn't kill immersion? But yes it should be earned to do it so you can feel like this BA person (at least I do when I fly around) doing important stuff rather than trans-versing the terrain like an infantry person. Hopefully when (>>when<< not if) they do add flight it'll be something you have to earn vs just buy since gold is easy to get in game anyway.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Is that pre wotlk legendary or mop everyone lncluding alts gets a 'legendary'? good Idea actually

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Is that pre wotlk legendary or mop everyone lncluding alts gets a 'legendary'? good Idea actually

To me, it kinda keeps the immersion that people say they want while making it so that people have to earn it if they really want it. That way when you look at someone flying, you know they have some degree of skill too or at least patience to deal with the tedium of the legendary quests.
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    But it was honestly handed to people when you got to a certain level or to cap which I never really liked.  it should be earned to do it so you can feel like this BA person (at least I do when I fly around) doing important stuff rather than trans-versing the terrain like an infantry person. Hopefully when (>>when<< not if) they do add flight it'll be something you have to earn vs just buy since gold is easy to get in game anyway.

Flight wasn't always an easy to get thing, and interesting flying mounts weren't dropping from many bosses/old raids so everybody could have them.

I used to farm for weeks in TBC to learn both slow and fast flight, and buy the mounts as well. They were pretty expensive put together. 

To get a better looking mount (netherdrake/ray etc.), you needed to get exalted with two factions, which yet again took a few weeks, up to a month.

And if you wanted the ultimate unique mount, the Ashes, you needed to kill Kael and get it to drop, then convince your guild to give it to you (lol...).

So it used to be a thing you worked quite hard for it, and it was very satisfying to have. Only later expansions started to make flight to accessible or cheap, it was fine in TBC and it really was a great fit into the game, with dungeons or zones in the sky that you needed to fly to and so on.

Anyway I agree with what you saying; flying should only be available once you finish all the zones or something like that. 

But just erasing it from WoD is insulting.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Interesting that it still hasn't been introduced.  Actually, I haven't played WoW in a year, but the fact that they're holding back on adding flying really makes me interested in re-subbing for a while. I had always hoped they would do it, as flying - though fun - really messes with your immersion in the world.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    why u want flying in wod? u arent leaving your garrison or ahran .....and the tanaan jungle is like timeless isle....so meh.
  • rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am happy they removed flying.   It was lame to begin with, without flying based PvP and PvE combat the system just became a way to avoid content and quickly escape attacking players.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Flying wasn't removed in WoD, just the mounts were.  I fly to BRF all the time from my garrison using avianna's feather, and rockets :D
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

This is one of the things I think Archeage did extremely well by adding gliding and not flying. Makes it very fun to use when you can, but limited because of the terrain.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    WoD Experiment failed Trolololo. metacrit score +85 lol.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    To all you guys that like the no flying thing. Who ever made you use flying mounts in the past expansions? As far as I know you could always use ground mounts or even go with no mounts to your hearts content. Is it that you think everyone else should have to play the way you like to or what? Why do you care if other players experience all the content or not as long as you are enjoying your play style? 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    A conundrum for Blizzard. Has no flying contributed to the sub drop? If they introunced it could people who like no-flying leave? And people who have already left staying away.

I agree with J-LP.
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Honestly doesn't bother me either way i can go without flying
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Hellscream
    Honestly doesn't bother me either way i can go without flying

check out the wow forums. After being told yesterday there will not be any flying in Draenor or in future Xpacs, the crowd over there will beg to differ.

By the next xpac the crowd will get over it. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

I haven't played the expansion.  No idea if lack of flying was a cause for the drops or not.  But my personal opinion is:

Is not the same not providing something since day one, to providing it and then take it away!

Some players will be happy with the change, some will not.  And those dragons and rockets will not make any sense at all now.  Well for me rockets, bikes and all those mechanic stuff wasn't making any sense either in a medieval style setting.

But the flying, was it disabled in the new zone, or completely removed from Azeroth, Northrend, and Pandaria too?

They jumped the techno shark many years ago with the introduction of the choppers...

They expanded flying and allowed it everywhere with the Cataclysm expansion... then started having second thoughts with the Pandaria expansion when they prohibited flying there until you had completed the story line and reached the (then) level cap.

It's only the new zone where flying using your own mounts is totally prohibited... although public transportation uses flight like back in the old pre-flying mount vanilla days.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jaxomejaxome Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I think blizzard is trying to get people to fall in love with the world again since we have all already taken our trip to the themepark and for the most part are done with it. All of the things that make wow easy are things that make me hate it. LFG, Flying Mounts, and the AH all allow you to play a single player game with multiplayer raid content. WoW in my brain is no more a mmo then Diablo 3 is, your not forced to live in the world together or to interact with each other or learn about each other in the way many others mmorpgs do. I think blizzard knows they need people to live in the world at this point, not just drop in for a visit for new content. Things change, and absent the first few months of vanilla, I have loathed WoW and all of its changes(LFG Tool Flying Mounts and so on), maybe they wanna make a game id actually play for the final days of WoW. Maybe let the game go out with some of the dignity it came into the game world with, instead of the marginalized mcdonalds version of a mmorpg it has become.
  • JJthomasJJthomas Member Posts: 8

I find it fun without, but when you sell flying mounts on the store and then don't allow in a new zone, it makes you wonder why even sell flying mounts, and if you are gonna do it right remove all flying  or maybe have no fly day or something each week. Sometimes the logic blizzard has about game mechanics makes me wonder who really understand players and the types of needs of the playerbase.

Love this game but my love is turnin to like.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    only time i really wanted to fly in draenor was when playing my druid because of it's flight form. but that can be remedied by just going to a zone where flying is allowed. i dont use flying mounts that much anyway i use the flightpaths and just tab out when i'm traveling somewhere.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    only time i really wanted to fly in draenor was when playing my druid because of it's flight form. but that can be remedied by just going to a zone where flying is allowed. i dont use flying mounts that much anyway i use the flightpaths and just tab out when i'm traveling somewhere.

Which makes the absence of flying mounts that much more mystifying since flightpaths are everywhere and people just do what you do: get on public transit and go have a pee or whatever... so much for more living in the world lol.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by nate222

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

I hope they never allow flying.

It is really hard for me to believe that anyone believes this. Sounds like complete horse shit. This sounds like something someone who wants to be offended by everything in life says.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Sorry OP, but I have thoroughly enjoyed not flying in WoD. 

It has been fun exploring on the ground for a change and I hope that in the future they might have other no-fly zones.

http://wow.mmosite.com/news/05222015/blizzard_tells_why_they_cancels_mounted_flight_in_warlords_of_draenor_zones.shtml

Every time this article is read, a Creeping Carpet dies a little more inside.