Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social?

syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

why doesnt anyone speak any more in mmos i play? -> wow , swtor and champions online.

only at the noob starting grounds where ppl goof off but later nothing.

i try to start a chat sometimes but only get odd responses of various kinds.

isnt the major point of an mmo that you can talk to ppl online and such?

-thanks for reading

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by syltmacka

why doesnt anyone speak any more in mmos i play? -> wow , swtor and champions online.

-thanks for reading

This is bizzare - I don't play WoW but back when I did (vanila 2004) it wasn't the case.

The MMOs I do play now have very chatty players so not an issue, so it could be a combination of servers/games you pick.

Also join an active guild - it will make a world of difference.

its very difficult to find a good mature social guild these days in both swtor and wow. :S

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I never chat in-game, apart from the odd comment or to ask (or reply to) a question and haven't done so in about 10 years.  Why?  Because I prefer to voice chat with friends and family as I play, which is far more social  than typing to a stranger in a game who I'll likely never see again.

Back in the days of EQ the player base was much smaller and the zones weren't as packed as they are in games today.  You saw other players in the zone chat window so often that you used to pass the time of day with the regulars at the very least, even if that was as much interaction as you did.    It's not like that these days.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

-thanks for reading

No that is NOT the point anymore. In fact, if all you want is to text chat, you don't need a MMO (or any game to do it). Just start battlenet, or chatroulette, or a thousand of those chat programs.

The point is different for different players. Some just want to play the content like a single player game, some want random groups, some want to pvp.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

-thanks for reading

This is bizzare - I don't play WoW but back when I did (vanila 2004) it wasn't the case.

The MMOs I do play now have very chatty players so not an issue, so it could be a combination of servers/games you pick.

Also join an active guild - it will make a world of difference.

its very difficult to find a good mature social guild these days in both swtor and wow. :S

IMO the best way to find a good guild is outside the game - then you join the server the guild plays on.

I think many players pick a server first and then their choice is only guilds on that particular server alone (obviously talking about shard based games, not megaserver)

I think that is some good advice.  Know what you are getting into beforehand.

Here is what I think though.   I have played SWToR and I really can't think of a good reason to socialize in that game from a casual perspective.   It truly  is the perfect Nariuseldon  MMO.   Just solo it or play with a friend.  Period.

WoW  I did the trial, and Champions I have no idea.

One of the things I truly believe now, after playing Fallen Earth for over 2 years, is that chat channels or at least one chat channel in a game needs to be moderated.   I even think this carries over to to the non moderated channels.    If you leave chat open to the average player it just sinks into the worst kind of degenerative chaos you can imagine.   Hence a game will be labeled as having a bad community, and people looking to socialize ingame will just shy away from all the abusive and insulting chit chat that goes on.

In Fallen Earth, because of the moderation, everyday players are given the opportunity to help other players and the chat remains relatively civil and informative.   This allows people to ask questions without fear of flaming or antisocial reprisals.  And from that it gives the community as a whole the chance to evaluate other players, based on how they respond to others in the game.   It doesn't take long to distinguish the douchebags from the people who enjoy the game and want to learn it, which are the people I tend socialize with.

You can imagine what these forums here would be like without the moderators to keep things in check.  Same goes for games.   Say what you want in a PM or other channel but there needs to be a place in chat where normal people can ask questions and help others without being overwhelmed by the few that just like to disrupt everything.

It is a simple thing, but to me it makes all the difference and is simple to do.   More games should follow FE's example IMO.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!