Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running Multi Monitors with a gaming laptop.

Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Greetings fellow PC enthusiasts, have some questions regarding Converter boxes vs external video card adapters. I have a Asus G75VW gaming laptop which has a VGA and HDMI port. My issue is that I would like to have my laptop monitor with my desktop extended across two additional screens at the same time. I need the HDMI port to connect my tablet screen (3rd) and a nice 24 inch monitor via the two methods I mentioned above. I would prefer to get a Converter if I could since they are 30 bucks cheaper than an average VGA to HDMI  external video card adapters. The converter box I am looking at is here:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-1080p-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009L4X3ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418357091&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter+box

And the External Video adapter is said to definitely make this possible but is a few bucks more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815343002

Has anyone ever come across this problem that are familiar if either of these options would work?

Comments

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Bump.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Darkfalz89
    Greetings fellow PC enthusiasts, have some questions regarding Converter boxes vs external video card adapters. I have a Asus G75VW gaming laptop which has a VGA and HDMI port. My issue is that I would like to have my laptop monitor with my desktop extended across two additional screens at the same time. I need the HDMI port to connect my tablet screen (3rd) and a nice 24 inch monitor via the two methods I mentioned above. I would prefer to get a Converter if I could since they are 30 bucks cheaper than an average VGA to HDMI  external video card adapters. The converter box I am looking at is here:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-1080p-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009L4X3ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418357091&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter+box

And the External Video adapter is said to definitely make this possible but is a few bucks more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815343002

Has anyone ever come across this problem that are familiar if either of these options would work?

I have had 3 monitors for years on my desktop, only had 2 on my laptop.

Reading the brief descriptions of the devices the second on seems to use your usb port as an interface converter for a monitor which would probably work poorly but still work i guess.

I think running 3 monitors in extended mode would kill your video card tho (if it actually gets routed there and not use some cpu emulation. in either case performance would be poor) and running in a eyefinity or surround setup is basically a no.

On a side note: It was only until recently that major video card vendors for desktops allowed a third monitor to be enabled on a single video card(through a display port). Previously you had to have 2 cards if you wanted more than 2 monitors enabled.

Hope there was something helpful in my post.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

How many monitors total again? It's a bit vague in the OP.

I have used a VGA "converter splitter" before, that takes one VGA D-SUB input and splits it across 3 monitors - it used some driver magic to render to the 3-across resolution on the D-SUB output of your computer, then split it evenly across the 3 monitors.

It worked OK for semi-static stuff - web pages, PowerPoint, etc. You definitely wouldn't want to game or use it for everyday working though.

I have not tried the USB->Video adapters though.

VGA->HDMI should be a fairly straightforward conversion box though (the one you linked through Amazon). You may have to deal with overscan issues though.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Thanks for the information, was actually reading about the two device types pretty heavily due to waiting quite a bit for a response. As you both suggested the converter box would probably work slightly better but it almost seems that there would be some resolution issues going from a analog to full digital conversion. The adapter works although very poorly for anything more than still web page browsing without playback. I planned on connecting my extra monitor through the external adapter for watching 1080p video's and movie's but it seems that the mileage on each external card may vary and even the higher end ones drain your CPU like a mother. It being a laptop the CPU is a limited resource as it is and the adapter would just make it choppy.  As you guys also suggested just using a newer desktop card has enough outputs to connect at LEAST 3 monitors so If i want this to happen it would have to be on a desktop. Unfortunate but you all and some research on my side saved me quite a bit of money. 

Many thanks guys :P