Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Learning from WildStar

124»

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I tried to get into the game but just can't seem to like it. WoW is better bang for my buck and just is a better game overall.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

The only GOOD things to "learn" are the raids, and dynamic encounters in an Action Combat MMO.

There are many BAD things to learn:

- how NOT to design a world with only 5-6 areas

- how NOT to release content: yey another DAILY zone

- how NOT to fix bugs: game-breaking (abilities not usable, exploitable elements) left in the game for months

- how NOT to balance classes: disparity in DPS/tanking/healing of at least 40% between top and bottom classes. Only GW2 is more broken in this regard.

- how NOT to spend money: sooooo much marketing going around Wildstar, not even 10% of that effort is put into development

and the list goes on and on....

Man, the world size was my first disappointment on release. Granted, the zones are cool, but it felt really confined after a while. Long gone are the days of actual worlds being made. 

• RedneckRPGerRedneckRPGer Member CommonPosts: 1

I found the game very grindy, more so than a more trad MMORPG like LOTRO, and I even have issues about how grindy LOTRO is.

I think WS had some great features, things like when you have a quest to kill X of Y killing harder mobs counts more towards that final X count.  And yes I know this helps reduce grind, but the game still felt very, very grindy.  Now that might be because, as other have said, it is "soulless" fo so long until you get to the interesting Story Arc Quests.  For too long it felt like the only thing there was to engage with was "The Grind".

Seeing my guild complain endlessly about the end-game grind-to-unlock-another-grind-to-unlock-another-grind of attunement, and seeing how that meant that no level capped player ever had time to help lower-level players really killed it for me; what are guilds for if not for helping one another, even those lower level than yourself?

And I was in two minds about the combat system as well.  I genuinely liked the action combat nature of the game, what I hated (with a passion) was the skill set limitation.  I really do not like games that have you level and then pay to unlock skills that they then say you can't use.  Far too many of the classes end up as 2 dimensional 5 button rotations with no real thinking involved in the combat.  No need to choose between X or Y skill in Z situation, because in Z situation there is only one skill to use and if you don't have it slotted you fail.  And while the action combat nature of the game made it somewhat more interesting the fact that you have a limited skill set and few, if any, skill use choices to make made the combat feel very, very ezmode.  Almost like the action combat was added to hide the fact that you really never have to think about skill use at all.  I like having more than one skill for a situation and then having to weigh up the pros and cons of those skills in a split second and then use the right skill at just the right time.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Soulless is a pretty good description... all the 'bits' where there, they just never really came together. Also, and it's a personal pet peeve, but the whole 'hero' story / vibe is a massive immersion killer for me in MMOs.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I just started playing a month ago and I love it. Nothing else comes close in terms of combat, and I LOVE that the content is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Get better or go home pansy!
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Learning from Wildstar.....

'Do not make terrible games'.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

its hard for me to understand why people say the combat is boring. in games like WoW, people just stand still and click. now in pvp people move but they just twirl in circles like wonder woman. to me thats boring. im not saying everyone is like this, but i think alot of people who are saying the combat is boring actually means its too much work. i admit it was a challenge for me to go from WoW combat to WS, but i loved it. now for the record i am currently playing WoW but i was subbed to WS and quit due to the list of issues we all know of. i do plan to return and resub once things are corrected which i see is happening. unless they go F2P or B2P in which case i will never go back.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Kajidourden
    I just started playing a month ago and I love it. Nothing else comes close in terms of combat, and I LOVE that the content is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Get better or go home pansy!
    dont you mean that its NOT dumbed down?
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Currently playing FFARR, but i keep my sub active as i still think Carbine can turn things around. Drop 4 is toward the right direction and if they keep the same philosophy, leaving behind the hardcore crap, the game can only get better and better. Time will tell.

Btw WS combat is the best i have ever experienced in a mmo.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2