Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOSRPG - massively multiplayer online singleplayer rpg

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
Basically an mmorpg with no group content. Other players are only there for the sake of an in game economy. Your actual game play is one personal instance in an open world ie Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Mass Effect ... You go out an attempt to conquer as much as you can, build up your housing, fortunes, achievements, .... aquire trade goods and contribute to a global ah that players use to help themselves along the way or to build riches.

Also would like - Player forge - extremely difficult top tier content

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is what I've been saying the anti-pvp crowd really wants.. Single player game with online auction house and co-op.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    You are correct with anti pvp, however no Co op is needed either, this idea is for the most part a single player experience only. Ideally there will be dungeons with difficulty tiers that few people will be able to achieve, personal power will be the carrot on a stick that leads to achievement. Perhaps a global leader board as well would be a good addition.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Diablo et al.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

Well, this concept of yours reminds me about story mode in first Guild Wars. But i don't see how you can get "player driven economy" and "global ah" on top of that. Why you should buy something from someone? You need to create a demand for items and PvP usually is the best way (full loot or your ship just get destroyed like in EvE). Group PvE content creates limited demand for some items (consumables mostly) but not for everything. I don't see much ways for PvE game to do so. Gear that lose durability and could not be repaird for instance will just make game too boring. Anyway you can make it yourself (sinse there is no group content you can't be crafting only or combat only character - you have to be both or you don't need crafting at all). So i don't see how you create a demand in such a game for economy to work. Or it will be P2W game. Like you absolutly have to buy soething to progress. And that sucks even more.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Blizzard is the master of disguise,join the fray and call your game a MMO yet plays 99% of the time like a single player game.You can really whip a game together quickly and cheap that way,most of those games took 1-2 years to make.Blizz's way over spends for what they accomplish because they carry too much overhead and spend a lot on marketing and making appearances to market their products.Blizz also knows they can take their time because they will make millions,they still release bugs/glitches like anyone else and they NEVER push the genre but like to develop cheap low end assets on low end game engines.

Seeing how much money they make doing it has lead the majority of devs down this same path ..../sadly so EVERY game coming out is a SINGLE player game calling itself a MMO just because it has servers that can handle lots of players.Sorry but server capacity does NOT=MMO,it has to actually PLAY like a MMO,after all you don't buy the game just to join the server you buy it for the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

You have to look at it like it is pvp, through a pve experience. Let's say you have aquired more than me, then you are beating me. Pvp does not have to be so narrow as to say pvp is only when two or more players engage in combat and there is a clear winner when one dies.
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Blizzard is the master of disguise,join the fray and call your game a MMO yet plays 99% of the time like a single player game.

WoW mostly known for it's group PvE content (read "raiding"). And they do it right. So i don't know what are you talking about.

If you are playing WoW for dailies or other shit, well, it's like orbiting some planet in high sec zone in EvE and wandering why nothing happens.

Originally posted by Battlerock
    You have to look at it like it is pvp, through a pve experience...

Online cock size contest? No, thank you.

Originally posted by Newfr

You have to look at it through a pve experience...

Online cock size contest? No, thank you.

I'm just saying there is a way to make it competitive. That is the essence of pvp. wow has timed challenge modes with normalized gear - it's brilliant and it puts pride back in the game.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I love the idea but it would take a new company to make it. Non of the mmo companies out there would ever risk making something like this. We are past the days of companies having guts to be unique. To many suits are in control and thats why we have so many crappy games.
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    I play mmos alone most of the time, so tired of guild drama in many different games. I usually only group with people if I have to.  
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The idea is called Diablo 2
    Originally posted by Albatroes

The idea is called Diablo 2

Yes it is - only not in arpg form , more of an open world rpg, with instance dungeons ... like a skyrim, but repeatable dungeons and with weekly world invasions , think rifts
  • AustrianAustrian Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by Newfr
    Well, this concept of yours reminds me about story mode in first Guild Wars. But i don't see how you can get "player driven economy" and "global ah" on top of that. Why you should buy something from someone? You need to create a demand for items and PvP usually is the best way (full loot or your ship just get destroyed like in EvE). Group PvE content creates limited demand for some items (consumables mostly) but not for everything. I don't see much ways for PvE game to do so. Gear that lose durability and could not be repaird for instance will just make game too boring. Anyway you can make it yourself (sinse there is no group content you can't be crafting only or combat only character - you have to be both or you don't need crafting at all). So i don't see how you create a demand in such a game for economy to work. Or it will be P2W game. Like you absolutly have to buy soething to progress. And that sucks even more.

I do agree that pvp full loot is the best way for creating demand for gear, however, if the developers just simple removed gear from quests, drops, or severely reduced the frequency then you can still have a viable economy without any pvp at all. FFXI did this and quite well.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Basically an mmorpg with no group content. Other players are only there for the sake of an in game economy. Your actual game play is one personal instance in an open world ie Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Mass Effect ... You go out an attempt to conquer as much as you can, build up your housing, fortunes, achievements, .... aquire trade goods and contribute to a global ah that players use to help themselves along the way or to build riches. Also would like - Player forge - extremely difficult top tier content

I wonder if they created an auction house and told players it was player controlled but in reality it was completely controlled by the game, would the majority of the players know the difference?  Make up some fake names of sellers, slightly adjust prices as demand increases / decreases and run out of an item here and there for shiggles.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by dave6660

I wonder if they created an auction house and told players it was player controlled but in reality it was completely controlled by the game, would the majority of the players know the difference?  Make up some fake names of sellers, slightly adjust prices as demand increases / decreases and run out of an item here and there for shiggles.

It probably won't make a difference for most players.