Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DA: I Processor issues

anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119
Hey guys, so just a quick question.  I have a pretty decent processor, with a stock cooler, an Intel i5 Gen 4 model.  Now then, I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition and I seem to have a tad of an overheating problem when it comes to running the game.  And by a tad, I mean a hell of a lot.  The CPU actually hits 100 degrees (c).  I'm hoping (and pretty sure) it's not the processor because it runs everything else pretty much without a hitch.  I ordered a different cooler that should be coming in a few days (Evo 212) just wondering, any way that I could possibly decrease the amount of heat being put off by the game, or quite possibly make the game playable without killing my processor?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

What are your idle and load(using some stress tests such as Prime95) temperatures? How do you get the numbers?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

You can decrease the amount of heat for your processor by underclocking it. Decreasing performance = less heat created.

I'd recommend just waiting for the new cooler though. Have you also checked that the airflow to and from your computer case isn't blocked, and that there isn't too much dust interfering with the cooling?

• anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Gdemami

What are your idle and load(using some stress tests such as Prime95) temperatures? How do you get the numbers?

My idle temps are rather high actually. 53 on the first core, 54 on the second, 55 on the third, and 56 on the fourth, I'm using HW Monitor to watch as for some reason CoreTemp actually makes me crash.  I ran Prime95 for a minute and in that minute all cores reached at least 99 degrees with 2 of them actually reaching a straight hundred.  

Originally posted by Vrika

You can decrease the amount of heat for your processor by underclocking it. Decreasing performance = less heat created.

I'd recommend just waiting for the new cooler though. Have you also checked that the airflow to and from your computer case isn't blocked, and that there isn't too much dust interfering with the cooling?

We underclocked and it helped quite a bit but not much towards dragon age, we also applied new thermal paste as it had been over a year and a half since I had last changed it, I dusted it out twice the night before and everything's running pretty well in terms of airflow.

Originally posted by anthony21690
    Originally posted by Gdemami What are your idle and load(using some stress tests such as Prime95) temperatures? How do you get the numbers?
    My idle temps are rather high actually. 53 on the first core, 54 on the second, 55 on the third, and 56 on the fourth, I'm using HW Monitor to watch as for some reason CoreTemp actually makes me crash.  I ran Prime95 for a minute and in that minute all cores reached at least 99 degrees with 2 of them actually reaching a straight hundred.  

Hm...assuming HW monitor reports correct numbers, I would focus on HW.

Check the placement of the heatsink and thermal paste(too much paste cause high heat).

Experiment with heatsink and paste and after booting up, enter bios and check the temperatures there. Your idle temp seems too high - it should not go over 45°C even in badly built case. You should be aiming at around 35°C.

Originally posted by Gdemami What are your idle and load(using some stress tests such as Prime95) temperatures? How do you get the numbers?

Hm...assuming HW monitor reports correct numbers, I would focus on HW.

Check the placement of the heatsink and thermal paste(too much paste cause high heat).

Experiment with heatsink and paste and after booting up, enter bios and check the temperatures there. Your idle temp seems too high - it should not go over 45°C even in badly built case. You should be aiming at around 35°C.

The person who owns the paste is sadly not on my campus today, however, I'll let him know to swing by with it tomorrow and we can attempt a to re-apply the paste, we added about the size of a pea as is usually instructed.  That should be fine correct?  Also, while the heatsink was off I properly dusted it and the rest of my motherboard thoroughly.  Any other suggestions on what the problem might be?

Originally posted by anthony21690The person who owns the paste is sadly not on my campus today, however, I'll let him know to swing by with it tomorrow and we can attempt a to re-apply the paste, we added about the size of a pea as is usually instructed.  That should be fine correct?  Also, while the heatsink was off I properly dusted it and the rest of my motherboard thoroughly.  Any other suggestions on what the problem might be?

I find your idle temperatures high so it would indicate a HW issue rather than SW and in that case, it is the heatsink and paste.

The heatsink must have very firm grip on the socket, not even slightest movement allowed. Also check the fan speed.

My bet would be the paste - you applied too much.

Depending on paste, I would consider this amount an upper limit how much should be used:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/applying-thermal-paste-to-cpu-processor-motherboard-35129913.jpg

The person who owns the paste is sadly not on my campus today, however, I'll let him know to swing by with it tomorrow and we can attempt a to re-apply the paste, we added about the size of a pea as is usually instructed.  That should be fine correct?  Also, while the heatsink was off I properly dusted it and the rest of my motherboard thoroughly.  Any other suggestions on what the problem might be?

I find your idle temperatures high so it would indicate a HW issue rather than SW and in that case, it is the heatsink and paste.

The heatsink must have very firm grip on the socket, not even slightest movement allowed. My bet would be the paste - you applied too much.

Depending on paste, I would consider this amount an upper limit how much should be used:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/applying-thermal-paste-to-cpu-processor-motherboard-35129913.jpg

Alright I'll definitely get him over here tomorrow then.  Thank you for your help Gdemami!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Those temps are way higher than they should be. Have you checked that your current CPU fan is functioning?

Maybe checking if your current fan works isn't that important since you've already ordered a replacement fan. Just wait for it and replace the fan with a better one, and I'd suggest avoiding running anything that heats your processor to more than 80 Celsius. The processor can break if it's run too hot, and yours is running way too hot.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Its not your processor its DAI unfortunately it has some major bugs running on some systems at the moment. My processor hits 100 on the main menu screen then drops back down during gameplay. Many players are getting this problem or similar problems with performance despite having over the required requirements.

Bioware is aware or the problem and have been working on a patch since day 1 hopefully it will hit any day now.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Grunty
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Yep that's the replacement I've got coming in for my stock cooler.

Originally posted by Juice2000

Its not your processor its DAI unfortunately it has some major bugs running on some systems at the moment. My processor hits 100 on the main menu screen then drops back down during gameplay. Many players are getting this problem or similar problems with performance despite having over the required requirements.

Bioware is aware or the problem and have been working on a patch since day 1 hopefully it will hit any day now.

Yeah hopefully, this is killing me, I barely made it out of the hinterlands (I'm also back at the hinterlands because I can't stay away from being a completionist) and I can't do much at all without risking killing my computer.

Originally posted by Vrika

Those temps are way higher than they should be. Have you checked that your current CPU fan is functioning?

Maybe checking if your current fan works isn't that important since you've already ordered a replacement fan. Just wait for it and replace the fan with a better one, and I'd suggest avoiding running anything that heats your processor to more than 80 Celsius. The processor can break if it's run too hot, and yours is running way too hot.

Yeah right now all I can really do is browse the web as anything else I really do will most likely raise it the extra 30 degrees it needs to just go caput. I'm surprised honestly that this hasn't happened already.  I wasn't aware I even had an overheating problem till  a couple of days ago.

* bump *

Any progress?

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Juice2000

From the bioware forums, looks like that patch is finally coming today!