Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why on upcoming 2014

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
From the little I read, there is no way this is coming out in 2014. From what I see it looks like 2015 DEC ish.

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

The freshest news I've seem publicly posted on the topic was from JC (co-founder) on these very forums : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6518808#6518808

Originally posted by JC-Smith
    Originally posted by XAleX360
    Is launch happening in the first half of 2015, based on your estimations?

Keep in mind this isn't an official date or anything like that, our official date is "when it's ready", but I think middle of the year is more realistic.  There's a lot of content, polish, animation work, bug fixing to do. It's so hard to give estimated dates with MMOs because they seldomly get met unless it's due to a game being rushed out by a firm date.

Feature wise there's a few things left (world map is still a work in progress, can't dig underground layers yet in cities are the two main things), but at this point its mostly  just us needing to get in more content, and refine the things that are in place so they are easier to learn and more visually appealing, balancing and squashing bugs. We'll take a look at where we're at in April or May and then start trying to lay out a more firm release schedule. We've been steadily increasing our staff size, and expect to significantly increase the staff size in February in preparation for our push to launch. But at the same time, making sure the game is ready when it does launch is our primary concern. When the game gets to the point where we think it's about ready we'll pose the question to the community on what they think our readiness level is and that will also help factor into the decision.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    From the little I read, there is no way this is coming out in 2014. From what I see it looks like 2015 DEC ish.

Quite correct, it will most definitely not be launching in 2014 !

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/738/view/news/page/1/read/33202/The-Repopulation-Latest-Update-Focuses-on-Alpha-Testing.html

Most likely 2015, and I'd guess second half more than the first half of the year...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Nov 2015 is my guess, if they stay true to their word.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Do you have a link to a quote of "their word" ? The last one I know of, publicly, is the one I posted above and it guesstimates it to mid-2015.

I'm not saying that November 2015 isn't more realistic, I just wonder where you got that from.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1

Do you have a link to a quote of "their word" ? The last one I know of, publicly, is the one I posted above and it guesstimates it to mid-2015.

I'm not saying that November 2015 isn't more realistic, I just wonder where you got that from.

The ONLY true to word i want to hear is when the game is FULLY bug free and ready for launch but i assume everyone by now knows this never happens.So like all other games when they feel the crunch an d NEED and possibly the community hype to release they will release no matter the state of the game.

IMO a developer ALWAYS 100% stabs themselves in the foot releasing too early under pressure,i hope these guys are smarter than the rest and do it right.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1

The ONLY true to word i want to hear is when the game is FULLY bug free and ready for launch but i assume everyone by now knows this never happens.So like all other games when they feel the crunch an d NEED and possibly the community hype to release they will release no matter the state of the game.

IMO a developer ALWAYS 100% stabs themselves in the foot releasing too early under pressure,i hope these guys are smarter than the rest and do it right.

If one group of indie devs/studio can pull this promise of releasing a game when it's ready, I have full faith it is them.

Now we have to be careful in our expectations, too, because there will always be someone to say it's "completely unacceptable" this or that feature didn't make it in for release or that it's "totally retarded" this or that other bug wasn't fixed in time. Reality is simply that MMOs are complex and evolve constantly, more so than most other piece of software.

The other aspect of it, I think, is that, sometimes, human beings being human beings, they make mistakes, sometimes huge ones, and, occasionally, a huge mistake on which a huge amount of work is done amounts to a catastrophe. And sometimes it means never launching/flushing down the toilet years of development and being unable to fulfill promises. On that point though, it is also up to the responsible studio to be upfront and honest with their customers and not try to cover up the whole thing in bs...

And on that last aspect, I also think that if one group of indie devs/studio can be honest about their development status on a game, it is them.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I think it's a bit easier for an indie to take the "when it's ready" approach as opposed to a game with a large publisher. Games do generally ship before they are ready. But the development team is often fighting for more time, and the publisher runs out of it. And there are good reasons for that. As we've all seen, MMOs (and games in general) seldom meet projection dates. They tend to be optimistic, if everything went right this would be the time. Even when developers try to give themselves leeway, they often find they didn't give enough.

Publishers meanwhile have release slots, they expect to ship one game in Q4, another in Q2, etc. They market a game based on those dates. They need to reserve shelf space. If a game is delayed the publisher eats a lot of costs. So eventually when a final date is set, the publisher forces the game to ship. It's not because the publisher is evil, it's because they have invested a lot of money towards that time frame already.

Self-published games don't have that problem. When they ship it's generally because they ran out of money and need to ship to start seeing some returns and continuing development. I don't really see us having either of those problems. We've been conservative with our budget to help ensure that doesn't happen. Not to mention things like the Early Adopter program are more accepted these days, as opposed to several years ago, and that certainly helps.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I hardly ever bash companys but this one I have at times because I dislike there way of doing things, it makes them looks like they don't have a clue at times.  The  reason I say this, I have seen things in game they should of been fixed right, and when you ask devs common basic questions about game development techniques they have no idea what they are, yes they are an indie but you should be hiring more experience  people to give the players there moneys worth. I did donate over 75 bucks when I believed in this project.

The team needs to work with shaders , they are lacking, badly which you can see even in some of the stuff you showed everyone. I could go on, but I won't . The game worrys me. So I doubt I will play, unless I see them hiring some experienced people and not gamers .... A lot of gamers think they know how to make a game, when in fact so did I before  I got an education and still no one eill ever know it all. You still should know what transitions are.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

@DarkCrystal: To give everyone else an idea of what your referring to and how silly that claim is. Your referring to a post you made about the GUI where he said there needs to be more Transitions, not a universal term and something that can be interpreted in different ways (we'd personally refer to them as GUI Animations). You made a post talking about this, and we asked him to be specific on what he was talking about. Your referring to a polish feature on the GUI which is slated for future revamp before launch to move it to an XML interface, which you are well aware of. That isn't the reason for your rant though.

Your personal vendetta is a result of you feeling that your guild should have gotten a guild invite. We've already explained that to you both in PMs and then again over here when you tried to accuse us of guild favoritism because your guild didn't get in. The reality is that we had very limited slots for PAX's Siege Demo, and cancelled future invites shortly after it because backers were complaining. I'm sorry that you feel slighted because of this all, or that we didn't give you more personal attention, but we are a small team and simply don't always have the time to do so. It had nothing to do with you or your guild, and it is unfortunate that  you took that personally.

This project has gotten to this stage of development with basically three programmers, and the vast majority of the coding being done by the two founding members. With a small number of coders everyone wears a lot of hats, generally working on everything from graphics, to systems, AI, networking, in addition to doing all of the GUI work. So to suggest something like that is pretty outlandish.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I"m not a fan of this game based on the tab targeting system with the option of aim to shoot as in the end, it'll be tab target, say as you wish, but that's what will happen.  Now that said, anyone who questions the hardwork, passion and current state of the game is a fool.  What they have done and changed from the beginning to now is nothing short of amazing.  I applaud Josh and his team for having a vision and pushing through.  I'd make the comment to the guy with the so called company (who's company is doing so well that he has to come here and bash another company in between his busy schedule) "you mean that certain shaders, graphics, etc need to be worked on in a games alpha stage, that's just insane?"

Lol...come on...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

@DarkCrystal: To give everyone else an idea of what your referring to and how silly that claim is. Your referring to a post you made about the GUI where he said there needs to be more Transitions, not a universal term and something that can be interpreted in different ways (we'd personally refer to them as GUI Animations). You made a post talking about this, and we asked him to be specific on what he was talking about. Your referring to a polish feature on the GUI which is slated for future revamp before launch to move it to an XML interface, which you are well aware of. That isn't the reason for your rant though.

Your personal vendetta is a result of you feeling that your guild should have gotten a guild invite. We've already explained that to you both in PMs and then again over here when you tried to accuse us of guild favoritism because your guild didn't get in. The reality is that we had very limited slots for PAX's Siege Demo, and cancelled future invites shortly after it because backers were complaining. I'm sorry that you feel slighted because of this all, or that we didn't give you more personal attention, but we are a small team and simply don't always have the time to do so. It had nothing to do with you or your guild, and it is unfortunate that  you took that personally.

This project has gotten to this stage of development with basically three programmers, and the vast majority of the coding being done by the two founding members. With a small number of coders everyone wears a lot of hats, generally working on everything from graphics, to systems, AI, networking, in addition to doing all of the GUI work. So to suggest something like that is pretty outlandish.

Ohhhhhhhh, busted!!!! LMAO. That's so awesome.... Thanks for being open about that. Honestly, I love the transparency that you guys have shown throughout the project, and your involvement around here. 

Oh, just thought I'd ask, can I get a guild invite ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by SirBalin

I"m not a fan of this game based on the tab targeting system with the option of aim to shoot as in the end, it'll be tab target, say as you wish, but that's what will happen.  Now that said, anyone who questions the hardwork, passion and current state of the game is a fool.  What they have done and changed from the beginning to now is nothing short of amazing.  I applaud Josh and his team for having a vision and pushing through.  I'd make the comment to the guy with the so called company (who's company is doing so well that he has to come here and bash another company in between his busy schedule) "you mean that certain shaders, graphics, etc need to be worked on in a games alpha stage, that's just insane?"

Lol...come on...

The people who play in action mode will dominate the guys playing in tab target mode on the hardcore server because of friendly fire, less button mashing, and easier transitions to the different fighting stances. 

edit: To the guy complaining about the UI ... in alpha! lol - I've personally reported 3-4 bugs during my short stent in alpha, as well as some basic QoL improvements. All but the movement has been dealt with. They even added little quest help thing in the quest log so you could actually find areas that were referenced or little bubbles saying "might be in this area" for the starter quest. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher