Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Wish I could vote, but not playing in any of these currently would not be fair :)

Have a great competition, everyone!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136
    ESO will beat Wildstar into a pulp, based sheerly on how bad the news at Carbine and Wildstar has been recently and the relatively good news and spike in playerbase ESO is currently having. While I don't think it's going to win the face-off, it'll definitely make it pretty far.
  • vinillavinilla Member UncommonPosts: 24
    The fact EVE leads on UO is pure example of sandbox lacking experience  in mmorpg.com viewers :/
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by vinilla
    The fact EVE leads on UO is pure example of sandbox lacking experience  in mmorpg.com viewers :/

No... I think it has more to do with the fact that EVE's player base is bigger.

Smile

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Ewww, Archeage vs DF, DF is.a proper sandbox, AA is well, cringe worthy.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

The hardest decision was TESO vs. Wildstar.

Both so disappointing.

Agreed

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I'm surprised how close it is between Planetside 2 and Defiance.  I would think PS2 would curb stomp Defiance.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I really, really hated having to choose between FFXIV and GW2.  Same with Aion and LotRO.

<3

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Epix...

GO TESO/TSW/Lineage 2! haha... Everything else I care little about, but did like ARR/GW1.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I'm surprised how close it is between Planetside 2 and Defiance.  I would think PS2 would curb stomp Defiance.

Same here! That was a difficult one. 

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I'm trying to figure out why Trove is on this list.  Why not FFXI? Anarchy Online? Fallen Earth? Tera? Any of these would be better than Trove.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    TERA Online? The MMO with the best combat and impressive boss fights? Hello?
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by emota

DF is a proper sandbox???

If proper is defined as NOT AT ALL - then you'd be correct.

DF is not a sandbox period - what tools are given to players to make it a sandbox??

AA is not a sandbox either - just to get that out of the way.

Sandbox =/= Minecraft.

Darkfall is sandbox because it has no levels, and as such no level bracketted leveling zones, it has a strong crafting component and great housing mechanics and territorial conflict through conquering keeps. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Yamota

DF is not a sandbox period - what tools are given to players to make it a sandbox??

Sandbox =/= Minecraft.

Darkfall is sandbox because it has no levels, and as such no level bracketted leveling zones, it has a strong crafting component and great housing mechanics and territorial conflict through conquering keeps. 

No levels and no bracketted zones has nothing to do with sandbox.

Sandbox = players are given tools to change gameplay in a permanent way

Minecraft is a good example of sandbox because a ton of tools are given to players to create all types of gameplay

DF has territory control as the only sandboxish feature, crafting in DF is not really sandboxy IMO

Again DF has far too few sandbox features (like 1) to be called a sandbox - if DF is a sandbox than every game that has crafting and territory control is a sandbox

Sorry DM, but you are on the losing end here.  DF is most certainly a sandbox.  I don't grasp where you got the idea that you have to be able to change the game world to be a sandbox because I have never seen that in any sandbox definition.  Some sandboxes do let you do that, but it is not a basic requirement.

The difference between a sandbox and a themepark, a sand box has no classes, it is skill based.  It is also open ended, you basically can do anything you want, you are not tied down to a series of quest lines.   I think you are getting way too specific here.

As to the Face-off, did not see any surprises, there are a few hard choices there, but for the most part there is one clear winner.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Trove vs Marvel Heroes 2015 is like having to choose between Minecraft and Diablo 3 ... apples and oranges...

Sandbox =/= Minecraft.

Minecraft is a good example of sandbox because a ton of tools are given to players to create all types of gameplay

DF has territory control as the only sandboxish feature, crafting in DF is not really sandboxy IMO

Again DF has far too few sandbox features (like 1) to be called a sandbox - if DF is a sandbox than every game that has crafting and territory control is a sandbox

Example - ESO is a sandbox - has crafting and you can capture keeps in Cyrodiil

Or DAoC - that is a sandbox too according to your definition - keep control and crafting

Do you see how wrong that is?

I did not say any of those things. Darkfall is a sandbox due to a combination of several factors, including no levels, the world not being divided into level brackets, strong crafting component and territorial conflict all combined create for a non-directed game play, which is what defines a sandbox.

The thing that you are talking about, permanently changing the gameplay is not the defining characteristic of sandbox. If it was then Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, two legendary sandbox MMOs, would not be sandbox. Which they were.

• Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136

Not really the best combat, ESO's is much better. Especially in skill progression.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sandbox =/= Minecraft.

Sorry DM, but you are on the losing end here.  DF is most certainly a sandbox.  I don't grasp where you got the idea that you have to be able to change the game world to be a sandbox because I have never seen that in any sandbox definition.  Some sandboxes do let you do that, but it is not a basic requirement.

The difference between a sandbox and a themepark, a sand box has no classes, it is skill based.  It is also open ended, you basically can do anything you want, you are not tied down to a series of quest lines.   I think you are getting way too specific here.

So Trove is not a sandbox game according to your definition as it HAS classes and is NOT skill based.

And I am being too specific?

The degree of how much a game is a sandbox is determined how many tools are given to players to create/change and impact the game in a meaningful way.

That is the CORE aspect of a sandbox - if you are not given any tools to play in the sand - the entire sandbox is pointless.

Classes, skills and other systems can exist or not in a sandbox game - you can have an open ended non-linear game with classes and set skills.

That is what defines a sandbox. Could you have that with classes and levels? I guess you could but usually when you have levels then you also have level bracketted zones which you get funneled through, like quest hubs. And that is not a non-linear game experience.

More over, you can have non-linear game experience without impacting the game in a meaningful way, whatever that means though I am not sure.

Originally posted by Overlord_Neizir

Not really the best combat, ESO's is much better. Especially in skill progression.

ESO combat? LOL?!

It is rubbish, soft targetting where most arrow and spell skills automatically hone in to your target. It is psuedo action combat and even GW 2 has better combat.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    The hardest choice for me was Age of Conan vs Guild Wars :(, rest was easy needed less than 1 second for all the other ones
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by mmorobo
    The only thing different that should be done is have it double elimination.  It is kinda meaningless when the number 2 game gets knocked out in the first round or a few of top 5 games don't even make it to the top ten.

If you look at it as we have a number 2 game.  We don't.  Understand this is about having a winner as number 1 and all the rest are losers. /end

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Archeage vs Darkfall? Are you trying force me into voting for AA? That's just criminal. 

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • EnarchyEnarchy Member Posts: 1

DAOC vrs Everquest????

Are you kidding me?

Lord have mercy.

• termintor27termintor27 Member Posts: 2
    very hard choices man, damn.

• ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    In wich world EVE beats UO ?!? really guys ?? It might be a age think , young folks don't know Uo well..