Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype?

13»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    The hype on this one is mostly fab based. CU fans have full drunk the fruit punch on this one. So you cant say in this case that mmorpg.com or the devs are to blame for the hype train. Heck the fans of this game had to be told to stop emailing people with spam mail to try and raise funds for this game. 

A crowd funded game hyped by the crowd funding it? Oh my God who would have thought!

Damn right we're hyping it....because we ARE hyped. The only ones to be let down are us, so if you're not on the hype train jump off and leave us be.

Take a chill pill, just telling the OP the hype is fan based not from devs going nuts making false hype. Or mmorpg.com because they are getting paid. Fact of it, CU devs have said so little on the game I am not sure why the fans are so hyped lol. Im a huge DAoC fan myself but so far I dont see enough to get on board. 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    If it s 1/10th as good as DAOC rvr I ll be very hyped. As of now I need to see more first.
  • KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87
    That's a good indication we've finally reached Hypelightenment.

bwahahahahhahahaha!

• BlackthronBlackthron Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Will CU be full loot?
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by Blackthron
    Will CU be full loot?

No, it will not be full loot

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by laokoko

the guy in charge is a pioneer of WvW mmorpg.  Makes DAOC, also warhammer online.

wonder what he'll take WvW next to.

Hopefully many new ideas and give the WvW genre a push.  

I doubt it will be good, RvR / WvW / AvA Games nowadays are always Zerg vs Zerg or 25 vs 25. What some people like in DAoC was 8vs8 Fights but none wants this today, look at Warhammer RvR it was the worsed i ever saw, totally no balance (Wizards Bombsquad Easymode) and besides this it was in moste cases just Keep trading.

DAoC was good but not so good as people want it to be. They had massive balance problems and also the upcomig for Zerg Fights.

We need something fresh and new today and i doubt that Mark Jacobs can do this.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by Haralin

the guy in charge is a pioneer of WvW mmorpg.  Makes DAOC, also warhammer online.

I doubt it will be good, RvR / WvW / AvA Games nowadays are always Zerg vs Zerg or 25 vs 25. What some people like in DAoC was 8vs8 Fights but none wants this today, look at Warhammer RvR it was the worsed i ever saw, totally no balance (Wizards Bombsquad Easymode) and besides this it was in moste cases just Keep trading.

DAoC was good but not so good as people want it to be. They had massive balance problems and also the upcomig for Zerg Fights.

I wouldn't judge prematurely if I were you. I obviously can't say what the end result will be, but I do know that they are aware of these things and are actively developing the game to provide the best experience possible. It's not a mass appeal game like WoW, and that's okay. Not everyone is into RvR, but it's great for those of us who are to get a game that caters to our needs.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

The PvP parallels you use can be misleading. Note that RvR is not RvRvR (the difference can be far from neglectable) also 25 vs 25 sounds more like WoW battleground to me. It will more likely be 37 vs 17 vs 33 - or probably much more massive at times - in Camelot, together with practically no PvE option, or having it tightly connected with RvRvR. 

I also like that you won´t be able to switch sides quickly (1 faction allowed per account - "the choice matters"), sub required and many other elements that IMO plagued GW2 and - to lesser extent but still - ESO  RvRvR experience. So, CU being geared towards strong realm pride (as opposed to "blue vs red team") and aiming for much more niche audience than some previous games (together with Mark being behind it) makes your blanket generalizations dubious at best.

PS I can´t speak of DAOC, but  we will never agree on Warhammer. I enjoyed WAR with friends until the very last second (I am still checking private server from time to time) and if CU offers anything close to that experience, I will be a very happy customer.

W...aaagh?
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Ignore the hype meter on this site.  It literally DOES NOT reflect the pulse of the gaming community.  More like a list of games that no one is likely to play if you ask me.

This.

Out of mmorpg.com i see no hype for CU. Only MMO with a real universal hype over the internet was GW2 or every other WOW expansion.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637
    Originally posted by Nepheth

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

I don't have to say anything else...

This answers and resumes all.

Originally posted by JamesGoblin

The PvP parallels you use can be misleading. Note that RvR is not RvRvR (the difference can be far from neglectable) also 25 vs 25 sounds more like WoW battleground to me. It will more likely be 37 vs 17 vs 33 - or probably much more massive at times - in Camelot, together with practically no PvE option, or having it tightly connected with RvRvR. 

I also like that you won´t be able to switch sides quickly (1 faction allowed per account - "the choice matters"), sub required and many other elements that IMO plagued GW2 and - to lesser extent but still - ESO  RvRvR experience. So, CU being geared towards strong realm pride (as opposed to "blue vs red team") and aiming for much more niche audience than some previous games (together with Mark being behind it) makes your blanket generalizations dubious at best.

PS I can´t speak of DAOC, but  we will never agree on Warhammer. I enjoyed WAR with friends until the very last second (I am still checking private server from time to time) and if CU offers anything close to that experience, I will be a very happy customer.

And WAR was a shadow of DAoC. So is CU is DAoC 2 (we, humans, never los hope), then you will have a huge fun in it. :)

Originally posted by Masa1
    Originally posted by Tamanous

How does 2.9 million dissuade you? Do you know this raises constantly? It it too little for your imagination to accept a game can be developed with it? Are you aware that this game is only  roughly 50% crowd funded and therefore has a budget twice that with a highly skilled and experience dev team devoted nearly exclusively to it's development making it vastly more efficient per dollar to make?

You misuderstood me. I wasn't scared of too small $ number. I was angry about the fact that they're trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made.

Where do you see that highly skilled dev team? I can only see overhyped game and overhyped dev team.

Dont be angry about other people's decision about their money. Every one knows in what to spend their money. Be angry if someone tells you what to do with your money.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Like everyone need do , in release , buy ,  play around 60h , make a review for youself and see worth

Dont sure if game be great

Dont sure if this game meet my desires

Dont sure if engine can allow or make everything he say 

but

Concept i like and love warhammer( i know bugs and server crash) and daoc

and Dont bash or give love util i played at last 60h in release 

• Zontas_HierospiritZontas_Hierospirit Member UncommonPosts: 57

I've played DAoC for 6 months again back in 2014, and picked it back up again this week. I still have the original game disc and the expansion discs.

On the back of the original game disc, in big letters, it states Dark Age of Camelot is a mythical world brought to life. This I believe is DAoC's main feature. In small letters, in the very bottom right corner, it states RvR is one of its features. This I believe sums up DAoC very well for me. It is also why I believe Camelot Unchained is not DAoC 2 and never will be, at least until it is announced that it will be bringing the World aspect to CU. I can certainly admit it is the spiritual successor of DAoC's RvR, but it is like telling fans of the original game that they have gutted so many countless other features in favor for a few to make a new game out of it. I pretty much had that same feeling upon hearing of the game's kickstarter.

To the christian gamer who played DAoC, we knew it wasn't really about killing the other realm, because the real battle is not of flesh and blood. Like on Shrouded Isle's game disc, the dragon takes center stage between the three realms. But alas, the curse is that people still think DAoC was only an RvR game. Hence, I believe Mark Jacobs gave up his artistic integrity and gave his customers what they said they wanted, not what they really needed for their eternal souls.

Such is the shame of Camelot Unchained, but again it is only my opinion, but because in the wake of CU, DAoC has seen many changes that unchained it from the popular money train design, and now has opened up as a very fun game. In the old days, people used to run several accounts, buy and sell accounts, buy group spots just to get a few bubbles of xp, many people could not afford a house or anything really, it was very bad times where people were almost criminal in order to play. Now the game is alot quieter, you can at least afford a small house. Sometimes events happen and you can make a small fortune. DAoC's expansions have also made DAoC grow old nicely, and it boasts very good and sharp graphical textures and animations still. The game basically gives you options of difficulty. If you like slow leveling then you can still head to Shrouded Isles for that. If you're new, then the new user journey quests are great, easy, and fast.

But yeah, the population in DAoC is very small now, the only places it is very busy is in RvR zones or lvl 50 glass quests in atlantis. I set foot near neither very often, and I have a feeling that the only reason for this is because people simply do not have the time nor do they want to slow down enough to just smell the flowers.

But to those excited for CU, I wish them well. As for me, I'm still waiting for DAoC's next expansion. I'd like to see new textures for armor. They already have some great ones, but they could easily random it up some to make people wearing the same gear look even more different. I also want to know what that huge giant statue the Ygwych Gyrg is always standing by. And no offense to Uthgarde, but I hope they take you down, so that people can only pay to play DAoC, or DAoC goes free to play with an awesome store. Either way, Uthgarde, you're standing in the way of a great game that needs to grow old with dignity.

But a very extra special thank you for Camelot Unchained, as it has somehow indirectly unchained the original game. Thank you thank you thank you. Thank you God. Thank you Mark Jacobs.

Originally posted by Keeper2000

And WAR was a shadow of DAoC. So is CU is DAoC 2 (we, humans, never los hope), then you will have a huge fun in it. :)

We, Goblins, want to believe you image

W...aaagh?

I think you will smile with this, my fellow destro. This resumes mids' love for hibbies in DAoC... :)

Originally posted by Zontas_Hierospirit

I've played DAoC for 6 months again back in 2014, and picked it back up again this week. I still have the original game disc and the expansion discs.

On the back of the original game disc, in big letters, it states Dark Age of Camelot is a mythical world brought to life. This I believe is DAoC's main feature. In small letters, in the very bottom right corner, it states RvR is one of its features. This I believe sums up DAoC very well for me. It is also why I believe Camelot Unchained is not DAoC 2 and never will be, at least until it is announced that it will be bringing the World aspect to CU. I can certainly admit it is the spiritual successor of DAoC's RvR, but it is like telling fans of the original game that they have gutted so many countless other features in favor for a few to make a new game out of it. I pretty much had that same feeling upon hearing of the game's kickstarter.

To the christian gamer who played DAoC, we knew it wasn't really about killing the other realm, because the real battle is not of flesh and blood. Like on Shrouded Isle's game disc, the dragon takes center stage between the three realms. But alas, the curse is that people still think DAoC was only an RvR game. Hence, I believe Mark Jacobs gave up his artistic integrity and gave his customers what they said they wanted, not what they really needed for their eternal souls.

Such is the shame of Camelot Unchained, but again it is only my opinion, but because in the wake of CU, DAoC has seen many changes that unchained it from the popular money train design, and now has opened up as a very fun game. In the old days, people used to run several accounts, buy and sell accounts, buy group spots just to get a few bubbles of xp, many people could not afford a house or anything really, it was very bad times where people were almost criminal in order to play. Now the game is alot quieter, you can at least afford a small house. Sometimes events happen and you can make a small fortune. DAoC's expansions have also made DAoC grow old nicely, and it boasts very good and sharp graphical textures and animations still. The game basically gives you options of difficulty. If you like slow leveling then you can still head to Shrouded Isles for that. If you're new, then the new user journey quests are great, easy, and fast.

But yeah, the population in DAoC is very small now, the only places it is very busy is in RvR zones or lvl 50 glass quests in atlantis. I set foot near neither very often, and I have a feeling that the only reason for this is because people simply do not have the time nor do they want to slow down enough to just smell the flowers.

But to those excited for CU, I wish them well. As for me, I'm still waiting for DAoC's next expansion. I'd like to see new textures for armor. They already have some great ones, but they could easily random it up some to make people wearing the same gear look even more different. I also want to know what that huge giant statue the Ygwych Gyrg is always standing by. And no offense to Uthgarde, but I hope they take you down, so that people can only pay to play DAoC, or DAoC goes free to play with an awesome store. Either way, Uthgarde, you're standing in the way of a great game that needs to grow old with dignity.

But a very extra special thank you for Camelot Unchained, as it has somehow indirectly unchained the original game. Thank you thank you thank you. Thank you God. Thank you Mark Jacobs.

Well said :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IMo what this game is actually receiving hype on is not a good sign for the game.

IMO people are getting excited about the notion of a DAOC game.I played DAOC and lasted one day before quitting.

Second is too much talk about pvp and even the testing game play videos were nothing more than random players swinging the same sword at each other.

Those two ideas a former title and PVP will not sell the game to me and i doubt it will sell to many others that were not DAOC fanbois.

I won't rack my brain trying to figure out what they promise,i rather wait and when they make a content filled video,i will watch it and decide.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I think you will smile with this, my fellow destro. This resumes mids' love for hibbies in DAoC... :)

Only 12 k views? 10 dislikes?? Your link is obviously broken ;)

W...aaagh?
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Masa1
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Why not the hype?

Far worse MMO's have gotten on the hype train for absolutely no reason :)

Don't remind me about that. I still have shit in my mouth from ~2 months of Archeage.

So.. why hype some unknown kickstarter game? Does community ever learn not to trust the hype train?

well, if you concider mark jacobs unkown, let me be the first one to welcome you to the world of mmos.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Only 12 k views? 10 dislikes?? Your link is obviously broken ;)

hehehe :)

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

For me , 

Mark Jacobs

RvR focus 

Servers (no mega server )

Sub only, no F2P

are all huge positives are what I want. 

ATM this the the only game on the horizon that might give me my type of mmo back. I don't need it to have 5 million nor 500k players. Just enough to keep the game alive , and I'm happy.