Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype?

Comments

• BeezowDooDooZopittyBeezowDooDooZopitty Member CommonPosts: 4

If anyone does even a TINY bit of research knows that this is a niche game. It is not intended or being designed to be a "WoW Killer" and Mark Jacobs has said over and over again he is making a game that he wants to make, the way he wants to make it. It will not appeal to everyone and that is good for the people who have backed it or have seen the great work they have done so far. 

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by Alumicard

They use crowdfunding which means asking for money to create something and the people who give money get something in return once the product is finished. That imho is far from "trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made"

That's exactly what they are doing: milking the players dry. Digital items for a game which is not even finished. Multiple donation levels to lure small fish, medium size fish, large fish and the whales. They drain more from players with heavier wallet combined with low IQ score and high hype level.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by Masa1
    Originally posted by Tamanous

How does 2.9 million dissuade you? Do you know this raises constantly? It it too little for your imagination to accept a game can be developed with it? Are you aware that this game is only  roughly 50% crowd funded and therefore has a budget twice that with a highly skilled and experience dev team devoted nearly exclusively to it's development making it vastly more efficient per dollar to make?

You misuderstood me. I wasn't scared of too small $ number. I was angry about the fact that they're trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made.

Where do you see that highly skilled dev team? I can only see overhyped game and overhyped dev team.

I'm not sure I'd agree with an over-hyped Dev team.

1. I love Jacob's. He's open and honest and when shit goes wrong he takes the blame for it. 

2. Andrew Megg's is a code super guru..... Go read his blog some time, or better yet fire up the CSE live stream and watch him smash some code sometime(they do that occasionally) He will BLOW YOUR MIND. really..... He's THAT GOOD. 

Now I understand you don't want to do the Kick-started thing. The simple answer is... don't. MJ and CSE will be the first ones to tell you(and have multiple times) that if you don't want to donate then don't, Follow the game, wait until the NDA comes down, and decide to buy or not buy then, or post-launch.  

I don't understand the rage here. 

I know i'm a fanboy.... but the game isn't even at 3 mil yet......  I wouldn't exactly call that "bleeding them dry". 

*looking at you Star Citizen*

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The hype is primarily misplaced trust in a project by what was promised (doesn't mean btw it can't be good, just there isn't any good reason to believe it WILL be as its advertised) with nostalgia pushing off people wanting that style of game. A lot of the 'hype' is pressed forward more by people wanting their investment in the game to pay off, not wanting to find out the money they gave to support the game turns out to create a good game.

Right now, the hype for the game is the worst kind I hype being heavily fueled sheerly by what the 'say' they will deliver rather then having any actual examples of it to the player in its full content. Primarily blind faith through promises from people who invested in a game and as such WANT it to succeed so bad they really hype it out for the company as a form of advertisement (which isn't a terrible marketing strategy, even if the hype can blow up in their face under delivering high expectations they create). 

In Short: Falsely placed hype in part due to people investing in a product not wanting it to fail. In the end the product has a chance to turn out good, but the hype itself is blown out of proportion and will likely hurt the end product.

Originally posted by Purutzil

The hype is primarily misplaced trust in a project by what was promised (doesn't mean btw it can't be good, just there isn't any good reason to believe it WILL be as its advertised) with nostalgia pushing off people wanting that style of game. A lot of the 'hype' is pressed forward more by people wanting their investment in the game to pay off, not wanting to find out the money they gave to support the game turns out to create a good game.

Right now, the hype for the game is the worst kind I hype being heavily fueled sheerly by what the 'say' they will deliver rather then having any actual examples of it to the player in its full content. Primarily blind faith through promises from people who invested in a game and as such WANT it to succeed so bad they really hype it out for the company as a form of advertisement (which isn't a terrible marketing strategy, even if the hype can blow up in their face under delivering high expectations they create). 

In Short: Falsely placed hype in part due to people investing in a product not wanting it to fail. In the end the product has a chance to turn out good, but the hype itself is blown out of proportion and will likely hurt the end product.

A sound and well reasoned argument. 

As such I can't really argue the point. I do think that having players invest  early in the development cycles does make for some excess hype as backers "defend their chips" to use a poker analogy. 

However. that's the problem with the genera in general. It takes a LONG time to make an MMO. If a game has no hype, it wont sell,. If a game has too much hype, players will get in find out it isn't some divine creation and leave before actually giving them game a chance.

It's a double bladed sword and a damn sharp one. hopefully CSE wont gut themselves on it.  

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

A sound and well reasoned argument. 

As such I can't really argue the point. I do think that having players invest  early in the development cycles does make for some excess hype as backers "defend their chips" to use a poker analogy. 

However. that's the problem with the genera in general. It takes a LONG time to make an MMO. If a game has no hype, it wont sell,. If a game has too much hype, players will get in find out it isn't some divine creation and leave before actually giving them game a chance.

It's a double bladed sword and a damn sharp one. hopefully CSE wont gut themselves on it.  

It's not rocket science, people.  The reason people are investing in this game is because of Mark Jacobs and his proven ability to make a great MMO (Dark Ages of Camelot).  It's no different than investors buying stocks or employers hiring employees based on a resume and past experience.  Mark Jacobs clearly has the experience and he's able to communicate his ideas effectively.  So to me, the douchebags accusing people of having low IQs for investing in this game are the idiots.  If it were some random, unproven guy with no experience trying to push this game, I'd see the point of the naysayers.  But this is Mark Jacobs we're talking about here.  He has a proven record of producing a great MMO game on a shoestring budget.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I watched the trailer video just because this was at #5 most hyped coming MMORPG. It literally told me NOTHING about the game. I watched the entire video, saw "Kickstarter" text at the end of the video and lost my interest about the game.

If you have to ask then you obviously never played Dark Age of Camelot, which when in its prime was  highly regarded as the best rvr mmo ever. This is the spiritual successor to it.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Once again I trusted the hype train and was disapointed.

Learn to think for yourself, you should have some grey mass in your skull, use it and don't let others tell you what is good and what is bad.

Hype only says how many lemmings there are looking for a leader to guide them.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

I love when people make something sound more intellectual than it actually is. Dude....it's simple.....you have a ton of Daoc fans who loved the game and would like to see it redone in a 2015 manner. The dude who started Daoc said "hey, I can do that. I will even put in millions of my own money to do it if you guys help me out." Done.

This is a niche game for a niche crowd and Mark jacobs knows it. It is why no one else has tried to create another Daoc, they know it is not a mainstream MMO.

So basically what I am saying is speaking for this niche crowd, our hype is our own so leave us to it. No one is asking you or anyone else to care. Your little theory does not hold any water at all.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Nepheth

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

I don't have to say anything else...

Was a decent game when it released.  I played it for 2 solid years but left the moment WoW released and WoW made fully realize how bad DAoC was and is.  CU will be 10x worse for me because it removes the 2 things I NEED in an MMO.  PvE and Loot Drops.  Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

Was a decent game when it released.  I played it for 2 solid years but left the moment WoW released and WoW made fully realize how bad DAoC was and is.  CU will be 10x worse for me because it removes the 2 things I NEED in an MMO.  PvE and Loot Drops.  Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre.

To me, PvE is the weakest part of a typical MMO because it grows stale so fast.  Until Artificial Intelligence improves to the point in which NPCs can think and act for themselves (giving the game a much more dynamic and non-static feel to it), PvE will hold no interest for me.  Loot drops essentially kill the crafting in any mmo game and relegate it to the afterthought heap pile of features.

So I think Mark Jacobs has his head screwed on right with the PvP-centric approach he's taking.  As long as he can withstand the withering attacks from the PvE crowd and their boring, static preference of play, I think this will turn into a great game.  In a nutshell:  PvP is the best way to go now until the AI is there.

Originally posted by Satarious

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

To me, PvE is the weakest part of a typical MMO because it grows stale so fast.  Until Artificial Intelligence improves to the point in which NPCs can think and act for themselves (giving the game a much more dynamic and non-static feel to it), PvE will hold no interest for me.  Loot drops essentially kill the crafting in any mmo game and relegate it to the afterthought heap pile of features.

So I think Mark Jacobs has his head screwed on right with the PvP-centric approach he's taking.  As long as he can withstand the withering attacks from the PvE crowd and their boring, static preference of play, I think this will turn into a great game.  In a nutshell:  PvP is the best way to go now until the AI is there.

Speaking of A.I. this is why I am so anxious for more information on EQN.

I have been playing video games since the early 80's and all those years the best part will always remain the PvE.  99.8% of all games feature PvE elements and to remove that, you remove the best part of a game.  PvP is fine but for me only in smaller doses.  Never have I and never will I let PvP constitute the majority of game time. But to each their own.  At least MJ knows his game is developed with a niche mindset and for all the fans of PvP and Sandbox knowing your game is niche is good for the genre.  Just something I would never play, nor the majority of MMO gamers.  Diversity in the genre is a good thing though so I wish them luck.  (Although if there was PvE I'd try it out).

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Cramit845
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Why not the hype?

Far worse MMO's have gotten on the hype train for absolutely no reason :)

Don't remind me about that. I still have shit in my mouth from ~2 months of Archeage.

So.. why hype some unknown kickstarter game? Does community ever learn not to trust the hype train?

The game isn't unknown, it's being lead by Mark Jacobs, the creator behind Dark Ages of Camelot and one or two of the Warhammer games I believe.  Wasn't a Warhammer person so not sure which but he did at least 1 of those games. 

Only one guy from famous game? That's it? That's your reason for hype train?

Lol, this is like saying, "Why does it matter if Derek Jeter retires? It's just one guy." Replace any major star in place of Jeter, Lebron James, Peyton Manning, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky. Sorry, it's a ridiculous argument. DAOC is, possibly, top 5 as far as most recognized games in the entire genre. Same can be said about Chris Roberts, Brad McQuaid, Cliffy B. All people who defined or redefined genres. So of course there's hype surrounding it. Your expectations will, as they should be, elevated beyond realistic expectations. 

How in the name of greatness can you list Brad McFail?  Really?   But then you also list the greatest regular season QB in the sentence as The Great One as well that says a lot.  Just because someone has one success in the game industry does not mean they can repeat that same success over and over again.  Great athletes are in no way comparable to great game developers/leads.  That unless you include people like Peyton that have one success then everything else looks great on paper but never can repeat with another Super Bowl win.  Peyton and Brad are two I would never build a team around and expect to win it all.  They bring people and money to the table but always seem to screw something up when it's all on the line.

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

If PvE and loot drops concern you then it was you, not Daoc. Don't say how "bad Daoc was and is" because you liked WoW's playstyle more. Even trying to tell us you are comparing the two speaks volumes.

[mod edit[

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I've visited their website and read some of their ideas. I didn't play DAOC but I found many of their ideas interesting. That said I'm not a believer to the extent that I have pledged, I'm just keeping an eye on it as it develops and may consider pledging as it does. Some people need to give the game a break though, it's being done by professionals and it's very early days. It's way too early to write it off for not delivering.
    Originally posted by Viper482

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

If PvE and loot drops concern you then it was you, not Daoc. Don't say how "bad Daoc was and is" because you liked WoW's playstyle more. Even trying to tell us you are comparing the two speaks volumes.

And who plays a "bad" game for 2 years? And if CU will be 10x worse in your opinion why are you even on this forum? Just bunk all around. You should just stay out of here or be reported for flaming/trolling.

I played DAoC because at the time it was fun, new and different.  My favorite part of DAoC, was not the PvP but the PvE and class diversity.  Some of my all time favorite classes were found in DAoC.  Friar, Cabalist, Smite Cleric, Champion, Shaman and Thane were so much fun to play in PvE.  I hardly spent any time in PvP until Darkness Falls came out.  But I only played DF because it opened up what I considered the best PvE hybrid dungeon in the genre at the time.  It wasn't till WoW came out 2 years later that I realized how much more fun good, high production quality PvE centric content was and never went back to DAoC.  So no it wasn't me, it was DAoC and their philosophy behind the game. 

Camelot Unchained removes everything I found fun with DAoC so it gets a pass from me.

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

And who plays a "bad" game for 2 years? And if CU will be 10x worse in your opinion why are you even on this forum? Just bunk all around. You should just stay out of here or be reported for flaming/trolling.

I played DAoC because at the time it was fun, new and different.  My favorite part of DAoC, was not the PvP but the PvE and class diversity.  Some of my all time favorite classes were found in DAoC.  Friar, Cabalist, Smite Cleric, Champion, Shaman and Thane were so much fun to play in PvE.  I hardly spent any time in PvP until Darkness Falls came out.  But I only played DF because it opened up what I considered the best PvE hybrid dungeon in the genre at the time.  It wasn't till WoW came out 2 years later that I realized how much more fun good, high production quality PvE centric content was and never went back to DAoC.  So no it wasn't me, it was DAoC and their philosophy behind the game. 

Camelot Unchained removes everything I found fun with DAoC so it gets a pass from me.

Ah, that explains everything.  You're a PvE guy.  The RvR in DaoC was almost revolutionary at the time.  It's what truly set daoc apart from the competition and why many today consider it to be the gold standard when it comes to PvP/RvR.  Strip out the RvR from daoc, and you have a very average mmo game.  Everquest and WoW were much more superior when it came to PvE.  What makes DaoC exceptional is the open world RvR.

Originally posted by Satarious

Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

Ah, that explains everything.  You're a PvE guy.  The RvR in DaoC was almost revolutionary at the time.  It's what truly set daoc apart from the competition and why many today consider it to be the gold standard when it comes to PvP/RvR.  Strip out the RvR from daoc, and you have a very average mmo game.  Everquest and WoW were much more superior when it came to PvE.  What makes DaoC exceptional is the open world RvR.

Yea I look at it like.....Strip out the PvE from DAoC and you have a very boring game.  I don't consider any game that doesn't include character progression in PvE content very MMO like.  In fact I wouldn't even classify it as an RPG.

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29

Because Mark Jacobs.

3 years DAoC LW Champikeen

4 years Warhammer Online Khaine Swordmaster

I trust this man to put out a product I will enjoy.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

the guy in charge is a pioneer of WvW mmorpg.  Makes DAOC, also warhammer online.

wonder what he'll take WvW next to.

Hopefully many new ideas and give the WvW genre a push.  

• I like how there's a thread about why the game is so hyped simultaneous with a thread about why there's no hype.

That's a good indication we've finally reached Hypelightenment.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87
    That's a good indication we've finally reached Hypelightenment.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    The hype on this one is mostly fab based. CU fans have full drunk the fruit punch on this one. So you cant say in this case that mmorpg.com or the devs are to blame for the hype train. Heck the fans of this game had to be told to stop emailing people with spam mail to try and raise funds for this game. 
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    The hype on this one is mostly fab based. CU fans have full drunk the fruit punch on this one. So you cant say in this case that mmorpg.com or the devs are to blame for the hype train. Heck the fans of this game had to be told to stop emailing people with spam mail to try and raise funds for this game. 

A crowd funded game hyped by the crowd funding it? Oh my God who would have thought!

Damn right we're hyping it....because we ARE hyped. The only ones to be let down are us, so if you're not on the hype train jump off and leave us be.