Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Video is more Transparent and Passionate than ever

I know this game has had it's fair share of up and downs. I know there's still full sites out there dedicated to trying to run this game, the production company, and it's volunteer staff to the ground. It's an unfortunate truth of these times we live in.

However this new video not only shines a light on the passion of the small team who still believe in this idea, but how selfless they are at showing the production and it's limited state. Again I'm not telling anyone to like this project or even appreciate the hefty amount of work this small team has done. But just reflect on the fact that these are real people working on a game that a lot of people on this site have been asking for since EQ.

Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSFuHBRdNU

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Have to say I,m looking forward to this game immensely.Just watched the November video and it shows just how far the small team have come in such a short space of time.Oh well 2 years to go.Hope I live that long.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I know this game has had it's fair share of up and downs. I know there's still full sites out there dedicated to trying to run this game, the production company, and it's volunteer staff to the ground. It's an unfortunate truth of these times we live in.

Yeah those evil evil sites. It's not like Brad brought all this upon himself and people are just pointing it out.

Damn those conspiracy sites. Damn the times we live in.

Harbinger of Fools
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Looks really neat, glad to see they are pushing forward.  Dakeru, you will have to forgive me for not smearing additional poison around in this thread.  You may have to double your efforts up in the next post.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Yeah those evil evil sites. It's not like Brad brought all this upon himself and people are just pointing it out.

It's not about "pointing out" the game or developers flaws, it's about a personal vendetta against a small group of people that has turned into an entirely negative and invasive hobby.

I didn't care about the fact they made a hate site against pantheon until I heard they raided a volunteers twitch stream. I'm sorry but that is harrasment. 

Its one thing to picket outside someone's business, it's shitty but that's legal. But when you start attacking people at tier home, on a hobby stream, or otherwise that's just wrong.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I don't get it. The game in this video looks terrible.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Dakeru

It's not about "pointing out" the game or developers flaws, it's about a personal vendetta against a small group of people that has turned into an entirely negative and invasive hobby.

I didn't care about the fact they made a hate site against pantheon until I heard they raided a volunteers twitch stream. I'm sorry but that is harrasment. 

Its one thing to picket outside someone's business, it's shitty but that's legal. But when you start attacking people at tier home, on a hobby stream, or otherwise that's just wrong.

You are right, that is pure hate.  I don't know any other man who receives as much hate as Brad though, which tells me something about him.

It's a bit like this thread. You could just have posted that there is a new video that shows the progress.

But you decided to start your post by talking about sites with vendettas against Brad.

If I was cynical I would say you started your thread with a troll bait.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I don't know, I'm not really crazy about a game that's being developed in 2014 using basically the same attack animations and spell particle effects that EQ used back in 1999. I can just play EQ if I wanted that. I'm not bashing it or anything, it's just that nothing really stands out. The best part was the background music to be honest.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    .... and I still wouldn't give 10 cents to support this game.
  • agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    I don't know, I'm not really crazy about a game that's being developed in 2014 using basically the same attack animations and spell particle effects that EQ used back in 1999. I can just play EQ if I wanted that. I'm not bashing it or anything, it's just that nothing really stands out. The best part was the background music to be honest.

I agree 100%. It looks exactly like EQ1, which graphics that aren't as good as EQ2. I'm not sure why anyone would support this to be honest. EQ combat for its time was great, because there was nothing else to compare it to. Whats with the combat? I mean... you stand still waiting for things more than you do anything else. No one wants a game where most of your damage comes from auto-attacks. And the UI, its 2015 almost.. come on that is just plain ugly.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,854

Having just downloaded and played the original everquest this weekend I think it looks better than EQ. And the combat seems faster. At least from the few hours I played.

It's along those same "everquest" lines but for my taste, I forgive it the "old style look and feel" as I really just want an open "world" as opposed to what most of these games are creating today.

Having said that, they need to actually finish it and it needs to run decently in order to get my money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Well one might assume that the animations will be improved during development , but yes it looks a lot like EQ I was surprised to see that even this much was finished. But this is the kind of game that so many people talk about here, something hard and old fashioned. I do not think that the customer base are out there for this kind of game, but its good to see that they are working on it.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

Originally posted by Knytta
    Well one might assume that the animations will be improved during development , but yes it looks a lot like EQ I was surprised to see that even this much was finished. But this is the kind of game that so many people talk about here, something hard and old fashioned. I do not think that the customer base are out there for this kind of game, but its good to see that they are working on it.

Awesome avatar by the way. I'm a big Joy Division fan.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Remember this game is not even at an Alpha state yet, combat and loot have only just been put in this version and are still very basic yet and will be polished as the development progresses. 

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    I am keeping my eye on it. I like that they are actually working on it before trying to get people's money first like thet did originally. I think once they make decent progress on an alpha build they will try to Kickstart again.

This is how the project should have started. A lot of anger from folks could have been avoided doing it this way. Anyway,good for them.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by agentsi1511

I agree 100%. It looks exactly like EQ1, which graphics that aren't as good as EQ2. I'm not sure why anyone would support this to be honest. EQ combat for its time was great, because there was nothing else to compare it to. Whats with the combat? I mean... you stand still waiting for things more than you do anything else. No one wants a game where most of your damage comes from auto-attacks. And the UI, its 2015 almost.. come on that is just plain ugly.

Well, when making a game, you don't start with the full blown graphics bonanza, because that is the recipe for failure. You make a playable concept with squares, test out how it works, adjust, test, adjust, test, and inbetween that models, effects, animations, world etc are put on in small steps. With that in mind they are pretty far, also considering how little funding they had. If they can attract funding it can happen, but with only a bunch of dedicated supporters, I doubt it will ever reach maturity.

You cannot just go and play eq, because that game with its original vision, does not exist anymore. However, I agree it is a little too close to being a eq remake and that wont work.. They need to capture the spirit of old eq, and modernize it in a better way than SoE has done with eq or eq2. 

I do not agree that no one wants "auto-attack" combat, because players who would play this kind of game are not interested in action combat, but more the cooperation and tactical part of combat. Besides auto-attack is a much simplified word invented to make it sound boring.. If you say stuff like eq=turn auto-attack on and go afk, you have no idea how to play eq.. It require constant attention and tactical timing to maximize output.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'll tell ya one part that is not transparent enough at all, the chat box that takes up half the screen in that video.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    What stood out for me the most was the fixation and the attention to detail placed on all that snow. That was alot of white, powdery snow in that video. You can tell that the dev has a passion for snow....Mounds and mounds of snow....
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by nilden
    I'll tell ya one part that is not transparent enough at all, the chat box that takes up half the screen in that video.

The chat box is opened up for the Dev team while they work on the game, it dosn't represent what will be in game. 

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Very impressive video. Especially when you realize it is all being done with a volunteer staff. I can't wait to see how the game continues to progress.

Hopefully they will end up finding their funding without having to relinquish any creative control over the project.

--------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

What stood out for me the most was the fixation and the attention to detail placed on all that snow. That was alot of white, powdery snow in that video. You can tell that the dev has a passion for snow....Mounds and mounds of snow....

Rofl, I see what you did there hahaha.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Looked real cool until I saw the combat. That was combat right?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Looks pretty generic.  Let me guess. They are going to charge a sub if/when this game is launched?

EDIT:  It's brave of them to show this footage.  Not sure if this will drum up the support or hype they are looking for.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

However this new video not only shines a light on the passion of the small team who still believe in this idea, but how selfless they are at showing the production and it's limited state. Again I'm not telling anyone to like this project or even appreciate the hefty amount of work this small team has done. But just reflect on the fact that these are real people working on a game that a lot of people on this site have been asking for since EQ.

Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSFuHBRdNU

Game is coming along nicely. I can't help but think the ticking time bomb that is Brad is bound to go off sometime soon and re-ruin the project. I guess only time will tell.

Originally posted by rodingo

Looks pretty generic.  Let me guess. They are going to charge a sub if/when this game is launched?

EDIT:  It's brave of them to show this footage.  Not sure if this will drum up the support or hype they are looking for.

They have been releasing monthly videos of it and it looked worse in the beginning. You can definitely see some progress. I like the snow gathering. Weather in MMOs (and most games for that matter) is very boring.

Originally posted by DMKano

I'd love to see this project succeed.

Its sad to see so many not willing to give others more chances.

People make mistakes in their life, sometimes a great deal of mistakes, are they not deserving of another shot?

I believe that everyone should still be given another chance - especially when they have zero backing like Brad has here.

I don't get why folks are treating Brad as they would a murderer on death row - with no ability for redemption.

Its pretty sad to judge another so harshly, especially when there is no harsh crime.

I'm sure there were plenty of people who were willing to forgive and forget the whole Vanguard debacle. But then came the Pantheon kickstarter, aka Amateur Hour, and then came the questionable allocation of donated funds, then came the on-boarding of a religious fanatic with extreme viewpoints. There comes a point when you have to say enough is enough already. Pantheon isn't going to be able to sail on by with the merits of Brad's success with EQ. It's going to take competent leadership, a dedicated team of professionals, sufficient monetary backing, and most of all, good solid game design. And it's going to take more than creating a generic video using stock Unity assets to impress people.