Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one to resub: Swtor or ESO...

EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 

• SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player.
  • ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off

Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?

Comments

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Man.......just stick to FF14. SWTOR is too old to be starting fresh and more than likely you will quit and ESO from what i read it isnt great either. Only real advice i got from mmorpg gamer to mmorpg gamer is wait for an entirely new game to surface. One that gives you that urge to play. Either one u go to i bet you will quit within 4 months. So just play FF14..it isnt too bad and new content will come soon. If you absolutely have to play a mmorpg try GW2.....no sub required...
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

OP don't listen to this guy. Nothing wrong with taking break from a MMO you have been playing for a year or more. 

Out of ESO and SWTOR i would recommend SWTOR simply because of amount of content it has. ESO is still a new game and although fun from lvl 1 to 50 it falls apart once you hit veteran ranks. They are in process of making huge changes to ESO so i suggest wait till champion system is patched in.

If you are tired of grind give SWTOR a shot. Not saying it isn't grindy at end game but it is very mild in comparison to FFXIV and ESO.

Moreover new expansion is releasing on 8th dec so it is a perfect time to join SWTOT. Many will return to SWTOR for new content no doubt.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Emhster

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago):  SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player. ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off   Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?    

ESO's bots are long dead, buddy. They revamped some of the public dungeons. Community is always a mixed bag in any game. This is the internet anyways.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    TOR is f2p ... sub is entirely optional ....
  • Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70

World of warcraft

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    There hasn't been a bot in ESO in over 7 months.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

OP don't listen to this guy. Nothing wrong with taking break from a MMO you have been playing for a year or more. 

Out of ESO and SWTOR i would recommend SWTOR simply because of amount of content it has. ESO is still a new game and although fun from lvl 1 to 50 it falls apart once you hit veteran ranks. They are in process of making huge changes to ESO so i suggest wait till champion system is patched in.

If you are tired of grind give SWTOR a shot. Not saying it isn't grindy at end game but it is very mild in comparison to FFXIV and ESO.

Moreover new expansion is releasing on 8th dec so it is a perfect time to join SWTOT. Many will return to SWTOR for new content no doubt.

3 weeks. So by the time you hit cap it will be here.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

If you don't mind a game that doesn't have 64 bit client and/or direct x 11 and also every few weeks become bugged then i will suggest you play swtor. if not try eso. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    Thanks for the input so far. How are Swtor leveling areas now?
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago)... 

I've also been debating between these two games, for several weeks now.  I enjoyed the combat in both; both have a pleasing look to them.  ESO is newer, and I greatly prefer their skill system to SWTOR.  SWTOR has the PvP games I enjoy (ESO only has Cyrodiil, which neither I nor any of my friends found fun in the slightest).  Haven't been able to make a decision between the two yet, so will keep an eye on this thread to see if anything inspires me.  :)

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Most of zones in SWTOR on my server (The Ebon Hawk) have multiple instances. Lots of people playing.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• My vote goes to ESO simply due to the fact that there are some awesome changes/additions that are going to be put in the game.

Imperial city, justice system, champion system, spellcrafting, etc.

And i also like to the pvp in ESO better. Both have awesome pve in my opinion.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWTOR is free, so login take a look around, if you like what you see resub, if not try ESO.  Why ask if a game has improved when you can just see for yourself?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Originally posted by Octagon7711
    SWTOR is free, so login take a look around, if you like what you see resub, if not try ESO.  Why ask if a game has improved when you can just see for yourself?

This. This guy is right.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

Asking around is free too :) And it's a quick way to know what improved and what is still lacking.

• Originally posted by Emhster

Asking around is free too :) And it's a quick way to know what improved and what is still lacking.

Well i can speak for ESO at the moment since i resubbed a month ago. The bots and stuff are gone if thats waht your worried about.

SWTOR is still fun as its been though. so its up to you to decide.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Both stand as good games right now, both are set to expand soon, so it's really a matter of which of the two you are into the most, which understandably can be a pretty close call. As it is for me as well.

Right now I'm playing TOR I still had not done ROTHC yet and the new expansion is fairly close. Plus my wife and roommate play it. I"ll be back in ESO after that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Personally I like both SWTOR and ESO. Personally I play ESO atm because it's just a beautiful game and some great patches are incoming. Also it's strictly P2P which is an important thing for me.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

What the hell is so hard about this decision?

One is free, and if you don't like that play the other one.

You will probably only play both a short time anyway and then go back to FF.

Hmm do I get a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder....?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by shingoukieh
    [...] Only real advice i got from mmorpg gamer to mmorpg gamer is wait for an entirely new game to surface. One that gives you that urge to play. [...]

Yeah, well, thats what I myself am doing. But that might take a while. Like, a very long while.

[...]

He's talking about switching though, not about taking a break.

Originally posted by jesteralways

If you don't mind a game that doesn't have 64 bit client and/or direct x 11 and also every few weeks become bugged then i will suggest you play swtor. if not try eso. 

I fear you.

You claim theres a MMO out there thats bugfree ? LOLz !

And, seriously ? You complain that a game doesnt have some cosmetics on paper that ultimately mean nothing at all ? Who the frak cares ? I would care about actual performance and about actual graphics quality, but not about some stuff on paper.

Especially for MMOs I much more prefer a game that can handle 200 units on the screen over one that looks uber gorgeous, but will start to lag with more than 4 units. One can always play offline games for the later.

Play them as you like them, but to me, MMOs are longtime experiences.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

For me i'm waiting ESO for the PS4 

SWTOR is about to have its new expansion come out big changes, a lot of new stuff, New story too.

Plus its star wars if you need your fix like I do sometimes.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by bbethel

For me i'm waiting ESO for the PS4 

SWTOR is about to have its new expansion come out big changes, a lot of new stuff, New story too.

Plus its star wars if you need your fix like I do sometimes.

I was waiting for eso on the ps4 but when I played ffxiv on the ps4 and noticed the ps4 couldnt handle many ppl on the screen it was over for me. Dont play mmos on the console ^^

Edit:

On topic: I playeswtor 3 years ago at launch, been playing it for a few days now with a friend he did a refferal lvled a new operative and its been fun healing in pve and pve im lvl 54 now next week the new expansion launch and then Im gonna look if raiding is fun in swtor! But the lvl 50-55 area is pretty impressive

I did lvl so fast cause of the 12x xp when you buy the expasion. And lvling together is fun!

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by bcbully

3 weeks. So by the time you hit cap it will be here.

Given Zeni's track record more like 3 to 4 months because only God knows how many thinss they are going to break with champion patch.

I think OP will be much happier playing SWTOR.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 

• SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player.
    • ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off

Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?

SWTOR has a good story but it doesn't feel like a real world to me, the planets are just  too small on average, plus it has tab-targeting combat which at this point really turns me off. 

ESO has better graphics, a much better game world (with lots of chances to interact with it) and actiony combat. Personally, I played both at launch but I'm about to go back to ESO. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com