Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like fast pace and obnoxious ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Seems that for the past few years mmos turned the corner form being a relaxing life with danger waiting only if you felt like it depending on your mood to crazy.  I used to log into an mmo :

- look over my quest log

- check and see what friends are on line

- see what my guilds are up to

- decide what zone I'll play at that time

- decide hard or easy content

- decide on long content if I had the time or short by my self type stuff.

Now it seems like we don't have any choice other than pressing the Dungeon key.  Everything is in turmoil, everything is blowing up and the ground is shaking.  In my last job we had a CEO with a favorite saying " Hit the ground running ". This is what I find in mmos now !!!!............Everything is obnoxious and crazy, from starting zones to end game.

This makes a game dynamic and modern ?.......Well for me it's stressful crap with no choices.

Maybe you like crazy fun, maybe you don't. here's a quick list of crazy :

1) Wildstar

2) FF14

3) SWTOR

4) ESO

5) Rift ( at least the starting area )

6) Neverwinter

7) Defiance

8) GW2

Developers try to pawn there games off as dynamic innovative and modern.....Lets not forget the train ride. Buy your ticket and go where the train takes you ! 

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Fast or not fast it isn't problem ,

problem is how many thing you can play and have fun in your game

And how many gate you need to open to search the contents .

Have to play 1 month of quest hubs just to join PVE raid or PVP battle is worst thing i ready did .

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by delete5230

Seems that for the past few years mmos turned the corner form being a relaxing life with danger waiting only if you felt like it depending on your mood to crazy.  I used to log into an mmo :

- look over my quest log

- check and see what friends are on line

- see what my guilds are up to

- decide what zone I'll play at that time

- decide hard or easy content

- decide on long content if I had the time or short by my self type stuff.

Now it seems like we don't have any choice other than pressing the Dungeon key.  Everything is in turmoil, everything is blowing up and the ground is shaking.  In my last job we had a CEO with a favorite saying " Hit the ground running ". This is what I find in mmos now !!!!............Everything is obnoxious and crazy, from starting zones to end game.

This makes a game dynamic and modern ?.......Well for me it's stressful crap with no choices.

Maybe you like crazy fun, maybe you don't. here's a quick list of crazy :

2) FF14

I see you say these things, meanwhile I've done exactly as you describe in FF14 with no problems whatsoever.

It's you, not the game.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

I'm not sure I get your intent but...

if I'm in the mood for fast paced action combat, I have no issue with the attitude you describe. In fact I prefer it. 

I've just burnt out on that, so these days I prefer my "virtual worlds" with their sometimes slow and calm activities, which often have nothing to do with combat.

• JafeeioJafeeio Member UncommonPosts: 57

As a long time DAoC player you speak to my heart. Since the leveling process was very much "stay at one spot, pull one mob and then regenerate" you had time to get to know your group, chat and it allowed you to even go afk for a few minutes and nobody would bat an eye. We might have bitched about downtimes but it wasn't until the later mmos hit the market that I realized that downtimes are essential in mmos to have a good time with your group. 

As soon as quest mmos like WoW hit the market my stress level increased tremendously. With no downtimes and constant checking of the map to find the optimal route for my quests I constantly pushed myself and for the first time got burned out by an mmo within a few weeks. I will confess that this is partly the fault of my personality, I could take my time and go slower but you want to be efficient at the same time. There is also no set endpoint to a session if you are questing by yourself. Level ups are not something to celebrate if you are still right in the middle of a quest or even questzone. I used to get exactly one level a day in DAoC from 40 to 50 and I was content with that. 

I haven't even touched games with dungeon finder except for some FFXIV and when I do I do extensive research of the dungeon beforehand because I know nobody is going to take the time to explain any mechanics to me. 

We have to accept that the focus of MMOs has changed in the past 10 years. MMOs are not virtual worlds anymore, they are an accomplishment-simulator for achievers and lootobsessed people. I still enjoy playing in the same world as other people, more than playing a comparable singleplayer game like Dragon Age, but it's not what I truly want. 

• plyrofmmoplyrofmmo Member UncommonPosts: 25

I see what you are saying.

There is a difference in MMO, one is playing in a "world" the other is playing in a "situation".

When an MMO has a situation, a war, an apocalypse, invasion, the quest system tries to impress a sense of urgency.

NPCs shout things like "If you don't start moving soldier we are all going home in body bags". A lot of MMOs have taken this route to make them feel more actiony and to make the linear game play less noticeable.

In an MMO with a world feel to it there isn't that sense of urgency, there aren't orcs coming over the wall.

This plays more like "here is your house key and here is your horse key, try to avoid that part of town because there be orcs".

Unfortunately MMOs have gotten away from the "world" type game but with an influx of sandbox games it may be popular again with devs.

As was stated before it all comes down to play style.

I prefer the world type game.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I see two effects that need to be balanced: the fireworks effect, and fishing.

The fireworks effect has been documented: people's brains get overloaded with stimulus, and we like that. People go "oooh" and "ahhh" when watching fireworks, because of this effect. Games need this effect too.

But the game can't all be fireworks, it needs other activities like fishing. In ESO, some nights I just had fun running around gathering things. In FF14 I'll just go fishing, standing around watching the world. Exploring to find new fishing holes, etc.

Good games give you options, and allow you to pick your playstyle. Do I want to go out in a blaze of glory? With fireworks and bombs going off all around? Or do I want a quiet evening fishing, gathering, crafting, etc?

Many games start out with some kind of crisis, like escaping a dungeon, that instills some kind of urgency. Good games will balance that with the fishing effect.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.