Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stolen Art Assets

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Copyright law states 10% alteration is all you need. Which isn't all that much.

That's completely wrong, as others have said.

I think it makes copyright laws clearer if you stop to consider their purpose.

The only purpose copyright laws serve is to legally allow people/business to monopolize things they create.  IMHO, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but historically anything that allows one person/business complete control is generally seen as bad, since it erodes competition.

While copyright laws do create a monopoly of sorts, it's on something too narrow to really be a problem.  If you create a product, copyright laws do not prevent me from creating from scratch a product intuitively similar to yours and competing with you that way.  A company may have a monopoly on the rights to sell one particular game, but that hardly constitutes a monopoly over the entire game industry.  The latter situation, where no one else can create a similar product to compete, is when monopolies become problematic.  Patent laws can sometimes grant such monopolies, but that's an entirely different discussion from copyright.