Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Sales up? Box Sales down? ESO Selling more than W.o.D.? Intersting VGChartz Numbers

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Anyone remember when BC was the Age of Wushu guy?  And before that?  Black Desert?  GW2?  TSW?  I honestly can't keep track of the FotM.

Needless to say, he's currently a FAN of ESO, and historically NOT a fan of WoW.  So I'll just drop that there, laugh at the use of VGChartz (which as previously stated is very inaccurate guesswork at best), and continue on my day.

Originally posted by Forgrimm
    People still buy physical box copies of PC games???

I do.  ALOT.  I like physical.  For the same reason I still have my original Tie Fighter 3.5s and X-Wing/Baldur's Gate CDs. (oh and Black and White.. I loved me that game).

I still have the CD's for Horizons, EQII, Matrix Online, Ruins of Kunark, etc.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Anyone remember when BC was the Age of Wushu guy?  And before that?  Black Desert?  GW2?  TSW?  I honestly can't keep track of the FotM.

Needless to say, he's currently a FAN of ESO, and historically NOT a fan of WoW.  So I'll just drop that there, laugh at the use of VGChartz (which as previously stated is very inaccurate guesswork at best), and continue on my day.

I do.  ALOT.  I like physical.  For the same reason I still have my original Tie Fighter 3.5s and X-Wing/Baldur's Gate CDs. (oh and Black and White.. I loved me that game).

The problem is stores don't carry many boxes anymore. If a GameStop carries any PC games the selection is usually found on a half empty single shelf unit by the back office door. I'd buy all my games with discs if I could. 

I find a bigger selection of games at the used book store Half Price Books.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Odd isn't it 10 million subscribers and only 3.3 million buy the expansion ....does that mean 6.7 folks aren't even playing the expansion?

well "maybe".

And by that I mean I started up a WoW sub as I've never really pushed past level 30 something.

going to see where I can get. so I have a sub but have not purchased the expansion. Perhaps there are other people who are lower level but who decided to resub and see where they can "get to".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127
    hmmm.....
    o.O

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ikeda

WoW is the greatest mmorpg of all time imo. played for 5 years. I raided 6 nights a week, and made it to 2400 3v3. DRAIN CLEAVE Aff lock, restro shaman, disc priest. 

I don't know much about BD except every character looks the same. GW2, played it for three weeks. TSW best mmorpg story ever written. AoW <3 most innovative mmorpg i ever played. 

This is not about me though image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Lets see...

ESO is selling game at discounted prices

WoD is selling expansion at full price

If you underestimate WoD sales by focusing on box sales for a short time period (by finding their lowest point) and count the highest point of ESO box sales during their highest box sale period, then ESO might come out on top for like a day.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's already been announced that there are again over 10 million players playing WoW since WoD, i was down to like 7 million in the last earnings report.

The only reason to buy physical copies now is for collector's editions imho.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by bcbully

WoW is the greatest mmorpg of all time imo. played for 5 years. I raided 6 nights a week, and made it to 2400 3v3. DRAIN CLEAVE Aff lock, restro shaman, disc priest. 

So what happened then?  Because you've been at the throat of WoW for quite a bit it seems.  If it ain't personal, I'm not quite sure the point of the thread.  We've had the VG discussion about as often as the Raptr discussion.

Originally posted by Gravarg

The only reason to buy physical copies now is for collector's editions imho.

I just wish the WoD had more swag.  I already have a ton of Blizz Blurays, sound tracks and mousepads.  They need more swag like the Diablo skull.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think all that matters is, both games have made what or around what they needed to make to keep moving forward. That's no surprise with WOW, yet ESO ( and all teh negativity that surrounded it). That's kind of surprising. They've shown no major slow down in development, still have their leads as far as I know ( which is important for a project to stay in forward motion), and their development plan has stayed true thus far, which is in stark contrast to most themeparks that have released in the last few years ( on their first go).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I'll admit I am playing WoW, World of Warcraft, currently & for the month because of that $5. all included but WoD Black Friday sale they had even though I have a subscribed account which is not active & a free starter edition account.  $5. was just too low of a price to not take advantage of since it included 30 days of play time & all content up to MoP, Mists of Pandaria.  I know most would state that since it did not include WoD what is the point, but I always enjoyed the atmosphere & questing of WoW & have not played as a subscriber in a drought of time so I went ahead & donated my $5.  Even if I never played this new account again it is tough to state it is a bad deal.  I gave up on WoW being my primary MMO years ago & I still bought the MoP CE, along with all the other CEs, when it was on sale & I was not subscribed.  I did not buy the WoD CE though so it will be the first expansion of WoW I do not have the CE of so I broke the cycle.  I noticed Blizzard raised thte CE price by $10. this year anyways & it did not offer anything more.

For ESO, I have yet to try it.  I do want to, & am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise.  I still have a Daggerfall in it's hard box.  I will look into ESO when I have the time & they offer a free trial or something.  Skyrim will have to do for now. 

With as many good quality free MMOs nowadays released I respect the concept of playing first then liking then donating some $ to it's cause.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I knew who the OP was just from the title.  Forum PVP at its best (or worst).
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Probably at a ratio of about 1 physical copy to 100 digital.....so trending anything from physical sales is pretty useless.

I don't believe retailers, developers and publishers freely share their sales and marketing data with outfits like SuperData or VGChartz, until I see proof I won't accept their "educated" guesses, which is all any of these services are really offering.

Yeah, they sound real legit, with all their talk of inside information and what not, but I think it's all bull.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Probably at a ratio of about 1 physical copy to 100 digital.....so trending anything from physical sales is pretty useless.

I don't believe retailers, developers and publishers freely share their sales and marketing data with outfits like SuperData or VGChartz, until I see proof I won't accept their "educated" guesses, which is all any of these services are really offering.

Yeah, they sound real legit, with all their talk of inside information and what not, but I think it's all bull.

• Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

All data is regularly checked against manufacturer shipments....

Not sales data. It's kinda like Algebra. 

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

News flash WoW is better than ESO.  ESO wishes it had the sales of WoW. 

There I said it!!!

BOOM!!!

SNAP!!!

CRACKLE

and POP!!!

Now rage at my post as I sit here and munch on my popcorn.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Is OP retarded? There's no planet where ESO outsells WoW if you can read between the lines.

What we can learn from this post is how easy it is to misinform the masses regardless of obvious evidence to the contrary.

There is such a planet, it's called "Wildstar Nexus", and it's gunna out sell WoW!

:P

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

What i still don't understand is how a game can have 10 million "active accounts" but only sell a little over 3 million expansion units. What's going on with the other 70%?

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Getting to 90,lol
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Alders

What i still don't understand is how a game can have 10 million "active accounts" but only sell a little over 3 million expansion units. What's going on with the other 70%?

WoD didn't release in all regions on the same day. The 3.3 million sales occurred on day 1 of the NA/EU release. Several other regions released the following week; those sales were not factored in as the press release announcing the 3.3 million number was a week earlier.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

• Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

All data is regularly checked against manufacturer shipments....

Not sales data. It's kinda like Algebra. 

Again, why would publishers, manufacturers and channel distributors share this information with these folks?

They don't even publish it as part of marketing or press releases, but we're supposed to believe they freely share this with this services?  I'm not buying it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

WoD didn't release in all regions on the same day. The 3.3 million sales occurred on day 1 of the NA/EU release. Several other regions released the following week; those sales were not factored in as the press release announcing the 3.3 million number was a week earlier.

Subscriber Definition: World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

If 10 million people log in for 1 minute during the same 30 day period from an internet cafe, that means WoW has 10 million subs....

Subscriber Definition: World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

If 10 million people log in for 1 minute during the same 30 day period from an internet cafe, that means WoW has 10 million subs....

I'm pretty sure that everyone is well aware of how WoW counts their subscribers by now. That doesn't change the fact that the 3.3 million sales number for WoD did not include several regions in which the x-pack hadn't launched yet.

I'm pretty sure that everyone is well aware of how WoW counts their subscribers by now. That doesn't change the fact that the 3.3 million sales number for WoD did not include several regions in which the x-pack hadn't launched yet.

It does include box copies purchased by retailers though.

I'm pretty sure that everyone is well aware of how WoW counts their subscribers by now. That doesn't change the fact that the 3.3 million sales number for WoD did not include several regions in which the x-pack hadn't launched yet.

It does include box copies purchased by retailers though.

And boxed copies are a small portion of the overall sales. In addition, in several regions in which players pay for time blocks instead of monthly subscriptions, historically they haven't had to purchase the expansions separately. The licensing partners in those regions have included expansion content as part of the game.

Edit: What some people may not realize is that all of the data for the expansion was downloaded by everyone who was playing the game via pre-expansion game patches, regardless of whether or not they purchased the expansion. So everyone already had all of the expansion content on their hard drive. Essentially, there's no reason for anyone to buy a boxed copy unless they were getting the collector's edition, since purchasing a regular copy of the game is nothing more than an activation code.

• RingbusRingbus Member Posts: 36

Again, why would publishers, manufacturers and channel distributors share this information with these folks?

They don't even publish it as part of marketing or press releases, but we're supposed to believe they freely share this with this services?  I'm not buying it.

You don't need to waste time wondering if the absurd claim by the kid at vgchartz that publishers, manufacturers, and channel distributors are sharing with him data they share with no one else.

The stupid little kid at vgchartz claims to:

* Do global retail tracking for console hardware

* Do global retail tracking for console software

* Do global retail tracking for PC software

* Four times a month

* And in addition he claims to do pre-order numbers for all of the above software

NPD a company with about 3000 employees that almost every game developer and publisher pays for their services and have done so for many years:

* Is only able to do retail tracking for North America

* Is only able to come out with their numbers once a month

Forget all the other lies and bullshit the dumb little kid blabbers about to try to hide the fact that i'ts just his dumbass sitting at home at his mom's house typing fake numbers into his computer and uploading them to his sad little fanboy website.

If the very idea that this stupid little fanboy is doing the work of all gaming retail tracking firms WORLWIDE you are too stupid to be allowed anywhere near the Internet.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ringbus we get it, the company is run by a 'little kid'', ofc it is.

You could have simply said the figures are rubbish because blizzard made millions of sales direct through battle.net.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D