Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I do not really pvp in MMO's anymore.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I no longer find pvp in a mmo fun anymore.  SWTOR I think is the best for pvp currently in the mmo market. Even that is lacking. Hopefully a game like Camelot Unleashed will bring back mmo pvp goodness.  Until then ill be playing COD Advanced Warfare.  My mmorpgs will be for pve only.

How do you view the current state of pvp in MMORPG's?

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by xpowderx

I no longer find pvp in a mmo fun anymore.  SWTOR I think is the best for pvp currently in the mmo market. Even that is lacking. Hopefully a game like Camelot Unleashed will bring back mmo pvp goodness.  Until then ill be playing COD Advanced Warfare.  My mmorpgs will be for pve only.

When and in which mmo did you find pvp fun?

What were the characteristics that made it fun for you? Have you changed or has mmo pvp changed?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by d_20

What were the characteristics that made it fun for you? Have you changed or has mmo pvp changed?

Well, the most fun I ever had pvping was in Dark Age of Camelot. Defending a keep with my ranger and two others. Against four 8 man teams. And us winning :-D. In WOW during the Burning Crusade years. I was voted top pvper(Open and BG) on my server by both Horde and Alliance. I loved seeing entire level 70 groups try to take my hunter down.  Raid guilds on my pvp server paid my guild a 1000 plat a week at one point just for me to not gank them :-D(Thats 2.5 days of dailies.).

I did the pvp grind in Rift 3 times. About 2-3 months each. Quickly burned out on that. Got to the point where I was making twinked lowbies.  Then even that became boring.

Now cannot even find a mmo that has pvp that is even fun. SWTOR pvp is ok. Only if its that football pvp arena :-D. But for the most. Its all mainly cookie cutter(Some polished, some not).  Perhaps I pvped way too much. Only game as of late that sparks my interest and is quite fun to play is the new COD.  It is not a mmorpg.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I find most new MMO PVP games are boring .

In some older game there are system that allow 1 player vs 1 party if he is "natural enemy" of that party,

And the enemy of one are prey of another . When you meet your natural enemy , run or die .

Then come to stats build that allow you to become unique .

The gears using Diablo loot table so there are many kind of gears .

Basically , there are no "best" because there are always change you get beat up by even weaker player .

For me , PVP still fun , but not fun as it used to be .

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

The current state of PvP in MMORPGs has sunk to new depths on the level pathetic. Absolutely no risk vs. reward, only rewards that turn PvP into a mindless instanced grindfest versus other players. The player-skill cap has been decreased in order to favor gear to casualize the PvP part of MMO industry, so horrible players with incorrectly built characters can still feel special if they spend enough time with the game. True open world PvP (and especially sieges), GONE. 

All I can do is just admit that the carebears won the war, from majority to minority to niche to a shunned one. Even mentioning FFA PvP & risk vs. reward (ex. full loot) you'll get get zerged with the popular opinion that the industry used to laugh and shun upon.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    My personal opinion is this: if you want good and balanced pvp, play a FPS or a MOBA. It seems that pvp in most MMORPG's usually turns out to be an unbalanced, gear/level dependent mess.
    Originally posted by d_20

Personally, last time I properly enjoyed PvP was Shadowbane (Darkfall gains a mention from beta, but that was just because all your old friends and foes hopped into beta and we had a blast slicing each other apart). But it was Shadowbane, purely on the aspect of politics, character building (you actually had to put effort to build one properly) the freedom of action and the consequences that followed. Note that SB had FFA PvP and death penalty of inventory drop + gear maintenance, so you could assault anyone at any time, whether you did was up to you (Although I belonged to a guild that was on KoS list of every single guild outside our nation / alliances on the server, so I didn't have much choice in the matter).  But ultimately it was the decisive battles that made the game, whether it was defending your city, besieging someones city, fighting over territory control (mines) or just making an example of someone. It was the thrill of going against another guild that kept my adrenaline flowing, not the fact that I lost whatever I was carrying in my inventory or that my shiny shiny gear took a durability hit.

You had that in other previous MMOs prior to SB as well, you could say I miss the political aspect and guild vs. guild warfare in a open environment where you never knew what happened. I personally hate instanced PvP with exact numbers playing CTF mode which belongs to Unreal Tournament, not MMORPG. Instanced PvP (even if ranked by ELO rating or similiar) doesn't offer the same thrill you had in proper guild vs guild PvP, and whenever I play instanced PvP with nothing real to gain or lose I just feel like I'm grinding gear, and it has bored me to death.

Now I'm just ranting on these forums out of pure bitterness towards the current state of MMO market.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    My personal opinion is this: if you want good and balanced pvp, play a FPS or a MOBA. It seems that pvp in most MMORPG's usually turns out to be an unbalanced, gear/level dependent mess.

In my opinion, one of the reasons you gear up and level up in MMORPGs is to get an upper hand in PvP, and that's what makes it different from MOBAs and FPS's. 

Trying to balance MMORPG around PvP has created disasters in many games, yet it's completely unnecessary to do so.

That's only because todays MMORPG's don't have proper character building. The classes are set on certain skill patterns and some games have "talent trees" in which you can specialize, but all the characters on x class are more or less homogeneous, which means that when they attempt to balance the classes, they end up giving someone the edge. In older games when there was much more freedom in character building and gear wasn't simple upgrades but choices, the MMO was much more balanced because you had multiple character variations and gear alone didn't count as simple upgrades (instead you had to choose between 15% movement speed + 6 VIT or 6 VIT & 6 STR, there was no gear that gave 6 VIT & STR + the MS buff), so the characters were heterogeneous instead.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't usually play any pvp game. However, if I want to do so, i will go with MOBAs, or games like World of Tanks. Mixing pve & pvp is not fun for me.

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70

it`s weird for me, when i played WoW and warhammer online all i did was PvP and I loved it. PvP for me is the best it`s so enjoyable rekin someone else.

But after years of PvP just being about grinding players for gear, it just became boring, and now all i feel like doing is playing games where if you kill someone they lose everything. I really cant wait for shards online. I would play darkfall but it`s really not that good IMO, when i played, it was pretty much empty.

Hopefully in the new year we`ll have some awesome PvP games, for the moment though I`ve just been playing CS GO.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly it depends on what you actually look for out of pvp.

The problem w/ PvP when it comes to RPGs, and MMO specifically, is you have 2 conflicting types of players enjoying the same game. RPGs are all typically about acquiring power. Power to defeat the big baddie, the villain, to become the hero, etc. MMOs build upon this in a multiplayer setting. Which is where you get things like raids from.

Good PvP exists, but I would hardly call SWTOR good pvp. It feels 'fun' because lightsabers. But it is very shallow, and unbalanced pvp. If we are to talk about actually skill-based pvp I would still have to give this to GW(1 or 2). The RvR may need some work, but it is still fun at the higher tiers, and the PvP lobbies have come a long way since launch. Furthermore the game goes out of it's way to make the playing field even, leaving it up to the players to play intelligently and to come up with good tactics.

If you're looking for more RvR (DAoC), then options are indeed limited. There have been some decent RvR games (and heck, even GW2's isn't that bad), but the problem is such: Most players don't handle group-pvp well. You see this a lot in MOBAs as well. Most players are very self-centered and tunnel vision hard when it comes to team / large-scale pvp. They don't think about things like group tactics, and it definitely shows once you start playing with people who actually do. This is where a good commander really stands out from a decent / bad one. Furthermore group pvp typically isn't balanced on a 1v1 scale. However most players want it to be. Because they still want to feel like the badass, they don't want to have to think about the bigger picture.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You do have a point there. Right now do I only PvP in GW2 since I actually can win any 1 Vs 1 fight there on skill instead of stats and gear (even if that still affect the battle).

Most MMOs are basically made for PvE with a little PvP added as an afterthought. Most of the rest of them still have a way too big powergap between noobs and vets.

I don't enjoy combat where I can't win or can't loose to an opponent no matter what skill me andthe opponent have and they really should make more PvP based games where a great playing new character could beat a badly playing character who are maxed out. That should still be very hard since I want some progression as well but it should be possible.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Loke666

You do have a point there. Right now do I only PvP in GW2 since I actually can win any 1 Vs 1 fight there on skill instead of stats and gear (even if that still affect the battle).

Most MMOs are basically made for PvE with a little PvP added as an afterthought. Most of the rest of them still have a way too big powergap between noobs and vets.

I don't enjoy combat where I can't win or can't loose to an opponent no matter what skill me andthe opponent have and they really should make more PvP based games where a great playing new character could beat a badly playing character who are maxed out. That should still be very hard since I want some progression as well but it should be possible.

Very much this ^.

I highlighted on this in my previous post, but most RPGs (MMO or otherwise) are built around acquiring more power. This directly conflicts with what makes for good pvp. GW2 is one of the few MMORPGs that actively goes out of its way to take the gear grind out of hte equation when it comes to pvp. The game still has plenty of grind, but you aren't forced into it to be on an even power lvl in pvp. It's very easy to get evenly matched gear (it just looks crappy).

And as a result, I too pvp a lot in GW2, when I'm not playing SMITE (or lately, dragon age).

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

DAOC Keep taking / defense was best PVP ever.  Period.  

Old game Wow PVP was also awesome (until last rank level at least).