Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do we pay full price for games?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

In one word: Impatience.

Instead of waiting for prices to drop, bugs to get fixed, and an edition with all DLCs (5-30 bucks each) included, they run out and buy, buy, buy. But, they get to play the game sooner (and report the bugs) and brag on websites about how they were "first."

It is not just a "monetary" issue :)

Yes, a variant of the "time = money" theme.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    People buy boxes at full price because it gives pleasure.  Another factor is the wealth of the buyer, If you have a disposable income of £2000 a month for e.g, £20 here or there is irrelevant.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by andre369

What is so special to get a game at launch that we spend 30 dollars more on a game at launch than what it is on sale for today? I take Shadow Of Mordor as an example here. Fifty six days have passed since its release and is now available for around 20 dollars. 

Assassins Creed Unity is available as well for 35 dollars, it has been out for around two weeks which assuming you bought it for 50 dollars it has gone down one dollar each day it has been out. 

Call Of Duty, now available for 20 dollars, again not sure the launch price but I would guess it was 50 or more.

From these three games alone if you bought them all today it would of been close to a SINGLE game at its launch price. 

Myself I have little to no interest in any of these games, I was interested in Dragon Age, but after seeing the game play I was put off. 

Why do people buy games at launch prices when you pretty much can get them all for the same prices a couple weeks or a month later? 

It's simple: Most people are not very smart.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

What is 'full price' though these days? launch day prices seem to be, at least to me, a bit over the top, the more recent Dragon Age;Inquisition to me seems to be a bit much at £50, which i think is about $75 - $80, not a price i would be happy to pay, arguably a better game, and much cheaper is Shadows or Mordor, which was around £27 (recently on steam it was retailing at £20)

These are prices i associate more with console games, which are usually more expensive because of the licensing on the consoles themselves, something that is not applicable to the PC, unsurprisingly i chose not to buy the game yet, under the circumstances i will wait till it reaches a more realistic price range of around £30.

I don't condone pirating games, but with various DRM issues and pricing, its easy to see why it takes place, especially when the DRM is so intrusive that the pirated versions end up being better quality than the legit ones, although really thats a another issue, even if it is one that is also affected by the initial pricing of these games. image

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

We live in a consumerist society, that's why. People don't know how to spend their money. They don't value their money. Most of my friends get cheated on this whole black friday bullshit and they blow ALL of their savings thinking that they did the right thing. None of my friends have even heard of g2a.com, they always buy from the publisher at premium price. They feel bad about it, but they buy it anyway

You will buy it anyway. That's what you do average consumer Joe. 

Spare me the economist bullcrap. Half of you people don't know the value of money. Yeah you earn fat checks and you live in places where 50$ for a single lunch is considered okay. Well, this is bullshit. Or is it? Go consume my little consumerists :) Next time pay a $100 for a lunch. Make a thread with the receipt too 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Wow, so many stupid assumptions on this thread.  They don't do it because they lack common sense or are stupid.  They do it for their own damn reason.  It's their prerogative and none of your business on how much, when, or why they spend their money.
    **snip for length**

You're right, this thread is not about you nor I but I still will never agree with the lack of common sense and stupidity assumptions regardless of any studies.  It could be to some but there are many more factors as pointed out by a good amount of posters.

Common sense in and of itself IS an assumption. You're assuming that everyone has the same knowledge / information / understand as yourself. But you are free to believe in that if you wish.

As for other factors, there are very much numerous factors. However I try to keep it simple on these forums, as most people don't read posts longer than a paragraph or two. That said, if you want to have an meaningful conversation on the topic, you need to take into account all the facts. Not just the speculations / possible truths that reflect your own values as best as possible.

Believe me, I wish I was 100% wrong in what I posted. Sadly, not only does research / data show otherwise, but I've been shown time and time again that it's just the way it is. There are very exploitable parts of human nature, and it's been demonstrated that the body / mind often finds ways to act in a manner that defies its own best interests. Whether this be poor spending habits, poor diet, laziness, etc. It happens more often than not. More intelligent people find ways to counteract this. Most people however, do not.

- Also keep in mind that stupidity is a relative term. It's long since been demonstrated that there are multiple types of intelligence, and being deficient in one type does not mean you are deficient in all. Intelligence is no longer viewed as binary.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I will pay full price for certain games and wait on others. I buy maybe 4-5 games a year new, for a total of around $300 roughly. And maybe another $100 on sales throughout the year. So roughly $400 a year.

To me that is cheap cheap entertainment. Cheaper than pretty much anything else dollar vs time for entertainment. Add to the fact that I make a good living and work hard for it I actually like to treat myself with a new game a few times a year.

For my situation the money I personally spend on games isnt much in the scheme of things. For others it may be and I can understand that.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

What is so special to get a game at launch that we spend 30 dollars more on a game at launch than what it is on sale for today? I take Shadow Of Mordor as an example here. Fifty six days have passed since its release and is now available for around 20 dollars. 

Assassins Creed Unity is available as well for 35 dollars, it has been out for around two weeks which assuming you bought it for 50 dollars it has gone down one dollar each day it has been out. 

Call Of Duty, now available for 20 dollars, again not sure the launch price but I would guess it was 50 or more.

From these three games alone if you bought them all today it would of been close to a SINGLE game at its launch price. 

Myself I have little to no interest in any of these games, I was interested in Dragon Age, but after seeing the game play I was put off. 

Why do people buy games at launch prices when you pretty much can get them all for the same prices a couple weeks or a month later? 

For very simple reason.. i can afford it.

Yes i have the choice to wait till later date to get it cheap but i don't need to.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

We live in a consumerist society, that's why. People don't know how to spend their money. They don't value their money. Most of my friends get cheated on this whole black friday bullshit and they blow ALL of their savings thinking that they did the right thing. None of my friends have even heard of g2a.com, they always buy from the publisher at premium price. They feel bad about it, but they buy it anyway

Spare me the economist bullcrap. Half of you people don't know the value of money. Yeah you earn fat checks and you live in places where 50$ for a single lunch is considered okay. Well, this is bullshit. Or is it? Go consume my little consumerists :) Next time pay a $100 for a lunch. Make a thread with the receipt too 

Oh my this post is so full of win.

BTW the keysites like g2a and intkeys are the way to go. Here is a good link to use next time you are thinking of buying: http://cdkeyprices.com/

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

BS? I would say that is just supply and demand.

If i can afford $50 lunch, and that i find that much more enjoyable than $25 lunch, is there a problem if i go for the $50 version?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I work very hard but i play harder so yeah i do know the value of my money. Stop generalizing because you don't know us.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Because they want to play them and the money doesn't matter.

30 dollars is what? Two lunches during the work week? I suppose I could wait but I don't really feel the need.

Two lunches? I spend at least $50 every day for lunch.

Then paying full price for a game is also probably not a big deal to you. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Very simple, it depends on how much money you have, right now I do not have a lot of money so I am in heaven with the steam sales and such, other times if I really really want a game I may buy it and sacrifice something else, more likely I will  wait for a sale, Green Man Gaming is a legitimate site and they are always having sales
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Because the price is based on what the market will bear. To those who feel the full price is worth the cost, the money is not an object. But since value is subjective and based on individual opinion, there is a second tier who are willing to wait for the price reduction. Finally there is a third tier of folks who find the greatest value several months to a year down the road in the bargain bin. This system of descending prices is a tried and true business practice which maximizes both audience and profit. If you are asking, why doesn't everyone wait for the price reduction....well that's like saying why doesn't everyone have the same opinion of what constitutes value? Not gonna happen. Even if games released at half their current prices, there wpould still be a faction who wait for the price to drop - their thought is 'oh boy! Even more savings!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If there weren't so many people willing to pay a big price premium to get a game right at launch, games would use a different business model and not offer such big discounts so soon after launch.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Because they want to play them and the money doesn't matter.30 dollars is what? Two lunches during the work week? I suppose I could wait but I don't really feel the need.
    Then paying full price for a game is also probably not a big deal to you.
    It's really not about "can I afford it", but rather just how I was raised. I still refuse to pay $5 for a flavored coffee. I can buy a whole can of good coffee for $8.

My Parents were born in the depression era of the US (1920's), so I have ingrained in me to NOT throw out anything that may, sometime, in the near or far future, have some kind of use, somewhere, somehow. The same with money. Why pay more than I have to if a little patience will save me money. I'm afraid that if I were a millionaire, that attitude is so ingrained, I would do the same :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I'm afraid that if I were a millionaire, that attitude is so ingrained, I would do the same :)

Millionaires don't often get and stay that way by squandering money.

30 dollars is what? Two lunches during the work week? I suppose I could wait but I don't really feel the need.

Then paying full price for a game is also probably not a big deal to you. image

Consumer valuation is a flicky thing. Everyone can be different.

I will glad pay $50 for a bottle of wine, and certainly lunch with my wife, but I won't pay a $15 sub for a MMO, and $50 (except very few) to play a game on launch day.

It is really about what is important to each of us.

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

It's simple: Most people are not very smart.

This. The dumb masses are funding us games basically. So shhh!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I buy a game when it first launches because it's a game I've been looking forward to and, to me, the full price is worth the time and entertainment I'll get from it. 

If I'm iffy about a game, not sure I'd enjoy it, etc... I would actually not even get it when the price comes down. I'd wait for a free trial. If there's no free trial, then I'll wait for it to come down to $10 or lower. 

It has nothing to do with "common sense" or "squandering money", or whatever other pretentious, self-edifying nonsense some folks in this thread are  so condescendingly spewing out. Seriously, some of you need to hop off the high horse, and get over yourselves. I mean, I get it... these forums are a place where you can demonstrate your self-confirmed superiority over others. I'm sure you're all very impressed and enamored with yourselves. But honestly, you aught to limit the self-worship to when you're looking in the mirror. 

When I spend money on something, it has everything to do with what I, as a gamer and a consumer am willing to pay for entertainment; what I feel is worth the price or not. If it's a game I feel I'll enjoy, then it's worth the full price to me, and I'll gladly pay it. And that's it.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

"Why do people buy games at launch prices when you pretty much can get them all for the same prices a couple weeks or a month later? "

This isn't always the case. Games released close to the holiday shopping season are generally an exception rather than the rule. Sometimes I buy a game on launch day if it is something I'm really looking forward to. Other times, I intentionally wait for a game to drop in price. Sometimes that wait is lengthy, depending on the popularity of the game.

I had Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 on launch day, but waited on Rogue and Unity. That paid off for me as I picked up Rogue yesterday for 25$. Go me! I'll pick up the Unity CE when it drops (considerably) in price, due to it's poor reviews.

As for MMOs, I usually buy the expansions on launch day for the continuation of the experience.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by kitarad
    I used to pay full price and still do for MMORPGs because I like the vibrance, excitement, crowd, opportunity, fever of a launch of a new MMORPG and that can never be recreated by joining later. Other games like srpg or rts or other genre I just wait for the price to drop but not my MMORPGs.

This - there is something magic about an MMO/Online game when it's new.

Single player games - it'll still be new to you months from now when it's on sale. But an MMO will only be new once.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

My income allows me to pay full price if I want to. That said, this is how I handle my day one purchases:

I prefer to have all my games on Steam. If I have to have a game at launch, I will first check Green Man Gaming to see if they are selling a Steam activated version. If so, I use one of their very common 20-25% off coupons. So therefore, I never pay full price for Steam games on day one.

In the event that a game is an Origin exclusive, I will pay full price if I want it immediately. That only happens once in a while though. I have only ever bought 5 games on day one through Origin: Dragon Age Origins, Sims 3 (for the wife), Battlefield 3, Sims 4 (for the wife) and Dragon Age Inquisition ($69 for the DD version).

I have drastically slowed my purchases of older games long past release as I noticed I was falling into the backlog syndrome. So since I am not playing them, I hardly ever buy them anymore.

In the end I think it boils down to your disposable income and how excited you are for an upcoming game. My next day one purchase will be Witcher 3. Why? I think you know why.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

It depends -- I TRY to find games I want to play on sale and pre-order *IF* they are an MMO or something where getting in early means something.

For single player games -- yes, waiting just a little bit for a half-off sale is usually a better option, especially since the bugs are often cleaned up, content added, and more information is obtainable.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Pretty much this. If I want to play a game now, I'm not gonna wait 50-60 days. Shit, you don't know... you may be dead 10 days from now. Have fun while ya can.