Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do we pay full price for games?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

What is so special to get a game at launch that we spend 30 dollars more on a game at launch than what it is on sale for today? I take Shadow Of Mordor as an example here. Fifty six days have passed since its release and is now available for around 20 dollars. 

Assassins Creed Unity is available as well for 35 dollars, it has been out for around two weeks which assuming you bought it for 50 dollars it has gone down one dollar each day it has been out. 

Call Of Duty, now available for 20 dollars, again not sure the launch price but I would guess it was 50 or more.

From these three games alone if you bought them all today it would of been close to a SINGLE game at its launch price. 

Myself I have little to no interest in any of these games, I was interested in Dragon Age, but after seeing the game play I was put off. 

Why do people buy games at launch prices when you pretty much can get them all for the same prices a couple weeks or a month later? 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Originally posted by andre369

Why do people buy games at launch prices when you pretty much can get them all for the same prices a couple weeks or a month later? 

Because they want to play them and the money doesn't matter.

30 dollars is what? Two lunches during the work week? I suppose I could wait but I don't really feel the need.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

It just depends on how fast you want to play the game.  There are games that I can't wait for, but others that I didn't get until they were on super sale.

I only pay what I am willing to pay.  If I can wait 6 months (or often times less as you have pointed out) then I get a lower price.  If I want to play at launch I pay the full price.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I sure don't.  There is no way i'm paying $70 for a game like Far Cry 4 , and then add 13% tax.  I'd much rather pirate the game. ARRRRRRR
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Sovrath

30 dollars is what? Two lunches during the work week? I suppose I could wait but I don't really feel the need.

Well put it into perspective, you buy 10 games at 60 bucks. 600 dollars, if you had waited a few weeks/month you could buy this by simply waiting a little before buying your games. 

So many people play on low budget computers, I believe a lot of people could afford a whole new PC if they were more patient buying their games.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If you want to play the game sooner rather than later, you'll pay a higher price.  You can always wait, but many people enjoy getting into a game early.  For some games, earlier is better. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The same can be said with most retail items. People pay full price at release because they want to be able to use/access it at release. The people who don't want to pay full price, and don't mind waiting for a sale, will wait.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

Well put it into perspective, you buy 10 games at 60 bucks. 600 dollars, if you had waited a few weeks/month you could buy this by simply waiting a little before buying your games. 

So many people play on low budget computers, I believe a lot of people could afford a whole new PC if they were more patient buying their games.

I already have a decent pc and will update it soon.

Look I get your point but it's not a lot of money for me. If I'm not that excited for a game I won't buy it or will buy it later. If I really want to play the game then it's no imposition to pay full price.

But I get it, there are people who clip coupons or buy something, see that it's on sale a few days later and then bring it back for the refund.

For me I couldn't care less. But then again, that's one of the reasons I have a job. So not only can I pay my bills/living expenses but also so that I can enjoy myself.

It's probably why, even though I live in a city with a decent public transportation system, that I will take taxis to get someplace sooner.

If I'm out on a Saturday night I "could" take the subway and then once out walk home for 15 minutes or I can pay about 16 dollars or so and get home in 10 minutes right to my door.

I like convenience and I'm willing to pay for it. If I want to play a game "now" then I'm willing to pay for it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49

Personally, this comes down to common sense.

There are the people who say 60 pounds is nothing to them so its ok but these people are not doing it cuz the money is nothing to them in my opinion.

They just lack common sense.

For example, a person with common sense who isn't a millionaire would think like this. I can buy wasteland 2 for 30 pounds or I can go onto g2a.com and get it for 7 pounds, I could buy shadow of mordor for 40 pounds or I could get it for 14 pounds from g2a.com for steam.

Now the senseible person would think, that's a big saving, with that extra money I can save it and buy another house to earn more rental income or buy a nicer car etc.

The person without common sense would say boastfully that's its not a lot of money for them so its ok and doesn't even bother to think forward to how many 1000s it adds up to over the years and how they could have multiplied their earnings if they invested their savings properly into bonds, isas or property.

Then there are the last class of people, the people who are multi millionaires and genuinely don't care about investing any of their money to multiply it. For them, its legitimate if they really want to pay 60 pounds for dragon age 3 on origin or get it off g2a.com for less than 30 pounds today.

They can go for the more expensive option but if they do that, they still have no common sense. In my experience, those with foresight and common sense end up earning the real money and buy games at value for money prices while those who buy things at rip off prices and boast about how they can afford it actually lack common sense and end up poorer than others because they spend their lives wasting money.

Lets face it, for most people like me, every pound I save on a game goes into buying another property to earn rental income from and I don't own enough properties to make me a multi millionaire yet so there is added incentive not to behave stupidly and to buy games at 30 pounds instead of 60 when I can.

At launch, ie now dragon age 3 is 60 quid on origin and less than 30 on g2a.com. I know where I bought the game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by mmorpglover1

There are the people who say 60 pounds is nothing to them so its ok but these people are not doing it cuz the money is nothing to them in my opinion.

For example, a person with common sense who isn't a millionaire would think like this. I can buy wasteland 2 for 30 pounds or I can go onto g2a.com and get it for 7 pounds, I could buy shadow of mordor for 40 pounds or I could get it for 14 pounds from g2a.com for steam.

Now the senseible person would think, that's a big saving, with that extra money I can save it and buy another house to earn more rental income or buy a nicer car etc.

The person without common sense would say boastfully that's its not a lot of money for them so its ok and doesn't even bother to think forward to how many 1000s it adds up to over the years and how they could have multiplied their earnings if they invested their savings properly into bonds, isas or property.

Then there are the last class of people, the people who are multi millionaires and genuinely don't care about investing any of their money to multiply it. For them, its legitimate if they really want to pay 60 pounds for dragon age 3 on origin or get it off g2a.com for less than 30 pounds today.

They can go for the more expensive option but if they do that, they still have no common sense. In my experience, those with foresight and common sense end up earning the real money and buy games at value for money prices while those who buy things at rip off prices and boast about how they can afford it actually lack common sense and end up poorer than others because they spend their lives wasting money.

Lets face it, for most people like me, every pound I save on a game goes into buying another property to earn rental income from and I don't own enough properties to make me a multi millionaire yet so there is added incentive not to behave stupidly and to buy games at 30 pounds instead of 60 when I can.

At launch, ie now dragon age 3 is 60 quid on origin and less than 30 on g2a.com. I know where I bought the game.

Well, let's pretend you actually have income from all these rental properties you have and are looking to save a few pounds to buy yet another property, the few pounds isn't really all that much.  Not saying you are full of crap, but I can't believe it.  If you are hardcore into making money, you wouldn't spend time and money on video games.

Video games are cheap entertainment.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I agree with you , especially considering we now lease the games.

I breed dogs and I've decided from now on any pups  you purchase from me are just leases even though I am still going to call them sales and purchases.

Because the bloodline is my intellectual property the people that buy my dogs no longer have the right to resale them or breed them without my express written consent.

Would not want people thinking they own what they work their asses off to buy in this modern world. 

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well, let's pretend you actually have income from all these rental properties you have and are looking to save a few pounds to buy yet another property, the few pounds isn't really all that much.  Not saying you are full of crap, but I can't believe it.  If you are hardcore into making money, you wouldn't spend time and money on video games.

Your thinking is very short sited. Every economist it taught the importance of marginals. All those marginal amounts that I save in buying games, in buying food, in buying tech etc all add up to a large amount. I put them in my tax free savings account and accumulate the interest further compounding my gains till I have a substabantial enough amount to put into bonds and then property.

The sort of short sighted thinking that you propose leads to wasting of massive amounts of money in a variety of areas over a number of years, that leads to significant losses. Even at just 20 pounds a week, that's 1000 a year I would save and you would lose. I use that example because 20 pounds a week is a tiny amount but it adds up.

Now multiply that over a number of sources and aggregate the savings and you get a significant amount which you then compound through investment. People who fail to see more than 1 step ahead don't see these things.

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242

bleh. If you own rental properties then get off this site and find a wicked hot girl..... seriously wtf dude.......

Originally posted by nebb1234

bleh. If you own rental properties then get off this site and find a wicked hot girl..... seriously wtf dude.......

Are you kidding? do you think owning rental properties makes you rich. It doesn't, it just makes you average. I only own 2 rental houses atm and both are just 3 bedroom houses. I get enough to help me with my life but not make me rich by any means but when I have 3 it will help more and then 4 etc etc and with each one it will make getting another faster. These are the basics of investment and how a person builds up a good income by the time they are older.

isa in the short term, bonds in the medium term, property in the longer term. Then rinse and repeat till you are earning substantial income outside your career to accelerate your growth.

Now, I understand some people don't aspire to have this because they will never earn enough to buy a house but that doesn't mean that you cant afford nice holidays, car, pcs etc if you spend your money wisely.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Your thinking is very short sited. Every economist it taught the importance of marginals. All those marginal amounts that I save in buying games, in buying food, in buying tech etc all add up to a large amount. I put them in my tax free savings account and accumulate the interest further compounding my gains till I have a substabantial enough amount to put into bonds and then property.

The sort of short sighted thinking that you propose leads to wasting of massive amounts of money in a variety of areas over a number of years, that leads to significant losses. Even at just 20 pounds a week, that's 1000 a year I would save and you would lose. I use that example because 20 pounds a week is a tiny amount but it adds up.

Now multiply that over a number of sources and aggregate the savings and you get a significant amount which you then compound through investment. People who fail to see more than 1 step ahead don't see these things.

The BS meter just went off the scale. you don't own rental property. lol.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Sigh, people like you will never learn. If you must know, my parents helped me out in the beginning and you know why, its because they didn't waste their money and taught me as well not to waste mine. So I got a good start in life and when they die, I will get part of the properties they will leave us children.

Don't act like its something special, being middle class is nothing new.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Careful with real estate, Tier 2 residential, farmland, energy reserves, and fresh water resources are all solid real estate investment but avoid the rest. Also look carefully at rare element mining companies. China is moving to grab up every source of rare earth elements in the world, that is going to be huge money very soon. 

Sigh, people like you will never learn. If you must know, my parents helped me out in the beginning and you know why, its because they didn't waste their money and taught me as well not to waste mine. So I got a good start in life and when they die, I will get part of the properties they will leave us children.

Not sure where you live, but yea. I have been looking into or atleast thinking about buying my own place. Would cost around 1k a month to pay down the loan. which is pretty much the same price as renting a place where I live. Dunno what rents are where you live/own. But having multiple places to rent out should make you live pretty comfortably and easy. 

Not sure where you live, but yea. I have been looking into or atleast thinking about buying my own place. Would cost around 1k a month to pay down the loan. which is pretty much the same price as renting a place where I live. Dunno what rents are where you live/own. But having multiple places to rent out should make you live pretty comfortably and easy. 

Im comfortable, Im not rich and I still have to work for a living. The point is this is just a middle class lifestyle. I want to get to the point where I don't have to work for a living or am  earning a full salary without working. That takes time.

Btw, I am mortgage free. I admitted my parents helped me. I was just trying to show what being smart with your money can get you even as a middle class person if you don't waste money on buying games as well as other things at prices higher than you can get them. My parents were able to help me because they didn't waste their money, I will live a good life because I wont waste mine and 1 day I will have kids who I will be able to help as well.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

What is so special to get a game at launch that we spend 30 dollars more on a game at launch than what it is on sale for today? I take Shadow Of Mordor as an example here. Fifty six days have passed since its release and is now available for around 20 dollars. 

Assassins Creed Unity is available as well for 35 dollars, it has been out for around two weeks which assuming you bought it for 50 dollars it has gone down one dollar each day it has been out. 

Call Of Duty, now available for 20 dollars, again not sure the launch price but I would guess it was 50 or more.

From these three games alone if you bought them all today it would of been close to a SINGLE game at its launch price. 

Myself I have little to no interest in any of these games, I was interested in Dragon Age, but after seeing the game play I was put off. 

Why do you care what other people spend their money on.  To some its a premium you pay more to get it first.  Here are a few examples.

A new Vette comes out a dealer marks the price up 80k because it's new.  Why does somebody pay an extra 80k because they want it first.

You spend $20 for a new movie at a theater when in six month you can spend a $1 at redbox 6 months later.  

Its really none of your business if a person wants to pay a premium to play a video game on day one.  

Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Why do you care what other people spend their money on.  To some its a premium you pay more to get it first.  Here are a few examples.

A new Vette comes out a dealer marks the price up 80k because it's new.  Why does somebody pay an extra 80k because they want it first.

You spend $20 for a new movie at a theater when in six month you can spend a $1 at redbox 6 months later.  

Its really none of your business if a person wants to pay a premium to play a video game on day one.  

You completely missed the point of this whole topic. The poster made a comment as to why people waste money. I explained my view on the topic and the advantages of not wasting money was part of the explanation of my view. I clearly explained why buying a game for 60 pounds when you can buy it at the same time for 30 using the example of dragon age is not smart.

As for if you waste your money or not, I don't care. Ruin your life if you want, I simply answered the poster and explained the benefits of good financial planning. If you don't want to listen, don't. Its not my problem.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    I have played games since apple II E  and I can honestly say I have never preordered or payed full price for a game. Those that do good on ya it makes em those big doll hairs that keep me in games.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Two lunches? I spend at least $50 every day for lunch.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

You completely missed the point of this whole topic. The poster made a comment as to why people waste money. I explained my view on the topic and the advantages of not wasting money was part of the explanation of my view. I clearly explained why buying a game for 60 pounds when you can buy it at the same time for 30 using the example of dragon age is not smart.

As for if you waste your money or not, I don't care. Ruin your life if you want, I simply answered the poster and explained the benefits of good financial planning. If you don't want to listen, don't. Its not my problem.

First I wasn't replying to you and don't care about IMO your ignorant view point they are not my problem.  If you think spending $60 for hours of entertainment is ruining somebody's life I feel sorry for you.  If for one sec you think Id listen to somebody like you, you are seriously mistaken.  

The only thing that is not smart is a person caring and judging how others spend their money.  

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I remember when ESO came out.  People were complaining because their bank accounts were debited for the $15 in advance.  To my amazement people were saying that $15 taken from their accounts early really screwed up their accounts and that bills wouldn't be paid because of it.

If my account didn't have a buffer I would never have bought a game at full price and would have waited for it to go on sale.  But everyone doesn't think the same which is why some people over spend and carry large credit card balances, as well as don't to educate their kids on good spending habits.  

Everyone wants to be part of the crowd that has the latest and greatest.  But more and more I find myself waiting for games to go on sale and it works out well.  By then needed patches have been applied, and dlc content can be had for a discount.  And if the game didn't live up to the hype by then you know for sure not to buy it, or you can get that sixty dollar game for under five bucks.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I am sorry if I have offended you, why I dont know. And no it is not my business if people choose to pay X or Y.  I do not care if a person pays X or Y. 

I simply asked the question why people pay more when they can pay less really. As you said it is for the perk of being there early. I get that, I have done it plenty of times my self. 

As for why I care what others pay for games though. It affects all of us gamers. Just look at all the early access and what not. Prices go up because people are willing to pay. I bought into alpha of AA. It was not my best decision to say the least. I am not sour about it all though. I hope it leads to more sandbox game in the future. That aside. 

My main point of the OP was that in general people can save a lot of money if they buy many games by simply waiting for a few weeks or a month. I have no intention of bashing people who do buy games at release as I have done and we all have at some point. 

My main point with this is that you can save quite a lot of money and if you buy many games in a year you can get a new computer for "free" if you are smart about your purchases. 

I think people should question whether or not buy games at release.Take Unity as an example here, shitload of bugs, with a review embargo 12 hours after the actual release. Is this consumer friendly?