Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is more important, graphics or gameplay???? pls read before vote

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

As a gamer what drives you in what game you play or stick with? Will you keep playing a game that has just ok graphics if the gameplay is top notch? Or will you pass on a game with good gameplay because its not challenging enough for your graphics card? Or will you keep playing a game purely on its graphics and forgive the game play thats not what it should be? 

This poll was started because of this thread HERE where someones stand was dated graphics means that game should be dumped, like WoW. What kinda gamer are you? Do you put gameplay first or graphics? This poll will be an ether or option but the "I pick both" will not be included as I want to see what comes first to you as a gamer.

Comments

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/25/5843358/minecraft-console-sales-54m-copies-sold

I am one of these 54 million players so i could care less for graphics. image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Gameplay, but there comes a point when gameplay can no longer trump outdated graphics.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A game that is fun is most important since pretty but boring games never really worked for me.

That does not mean that looks doesn't matter and some games just look too dated for me, but I never spend long time in a game I find boring no matter what. Certain graphic can look dated and still work pretty fine, like CIV IV but in other cases it just annoys me.

I would put 2/3 on gameplay and the rest on graphics.

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49

Depends on the threshold.

For example, if the game uses Nintendo 8 bit graphics, irrespective of the gamplay, its not playable for me.

On the other hand if it uses ps2 graphics and the gamplay is terrible then since ps2 graphics are acceptable for some games for me, gameplay becomes more important.

Its not an either or question.

Its a combination of graphics and gameplay that matters.

As for the guy who pretends graphics don't matter to the 54 million players who play minecraft lol.

If that truly was the case, then they could never ever improve graphics on anything because there is a mass market who don't care at all.

Even minecraft players would like a minecraft with better graphics cuz graphics matter.

In my opinion, people who say graphics don't matter at all are lying just like people who nsay that appearance doesn't matter at all.

In any case, in answer to your question, its a question of threshold in terms of graphics and gameplay.

The minimum standard for me is ps1 graphics so even if a game had supposedly amazing gameplay, I wouldn't be able to play it on graphics worse than the ps1.

Tbh I even doubt that gameplay could be that good on games with graphics worse than that.

Originally posted by bcbully
    Gameplay, but there comes a point when gameplay can no longer trump outdated graphics.

Lol this guy just explained everything I wrote in paragraphs in 1 sentence.

Touche, I tip my hat to you. well said.

Originally posted by mmorpglover1

D

As for the guy who pretends graphics don't matter to the 54 million players who play minecraft lol.

If that truly was the case, then they could never ever improve graphics on anything because there is a mass market who don't care at all.

Even minecraft players would like a minecraft with better graphics cuz graphics matter.

In my opinion, people who say graphics don't matter at all are lying just like people who nsay that appearance doesn't matter at all.

In any case, in answer to your question, its a question of threshold in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Keep on beating that drum that anyone who doesn't agree with your 'graphics do  matter' opinion are liars. Repeat it 100 more times if you like.

You were claiming to speak on behalf of millions and how they won't be rushing to buy outdated 8 bit / 16 bit games and yet Minecraft sold 54 million copies.

After which you changed the goal post claiming 'even Minecraft players would want better graphics'.

I think you just love to argue and act all assertive on the internet. Whatever makes you happy i guess.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    For me graphics matter very little, I just spent a few months playing EQ2 as of late and would still be there is the end game community had room for me and my wife. I have a love for the lego series and after leaving WoW a few years ago I am back loving the WoD expanion. Im told that WoW is to dated and I must be nuts to cater to such a game lol. For me its 3/4 gameplay and 1/4 graphics. For me gameplay is the bread and graphics is the butter. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

for me it's both.

but it's not cut and dried.

"Graphics" are different than "Aesthetics".

for me the Aesthetics can be anything as long as they convince. I can play a low graphics game as long as the aesthetics are good for the level of graphical fidelity (not sure if that's a good term but I'll use it) in game.

I can't play a game where the aesthetics turn me off. No matter how good the game play. But that doesn't mean I can't play a game with old graphics.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

for me it's both.

but it's not cut and dried.

"Graphics" are different than "Aesthetics".

for me the Aesthetics can be anything as long as they convince. I can play a low graphics game as long as the aesthetics are good for the level of graphical fidelity (not sure if that's a good term but I'll use it) in game.

I can't play a game where the aesthetics turn me off. No matter how good the game play. But that doesn't mean I can't play a game with old graphics.

I agree, aesthetics and graphics are not the same thing. I have seen some new games pay omaje to 8 bit that looked very aesthetic. 

Originally posted by mrneurosis

D

Keep on beating that drum that anyone who doesn't agree with your 'graphics do  matter' opinion are liars. Repeat it 100 more times if you like.

You were claiming to speak on behalf of millions and how they won't be rushing to buy outdated 8 bit / 16 bit games and yet Minecraft sold 54 million copies.

After which you changed the goal post claiming 'even Minecraft players would want better graphics'.

I think you just love to argue and act all assertive on the internet. Whatever makes you happy i guess.

Lol minecratf isn't 8 bit or 16 bit.

And graphics obviously do matter if minecraft players would like minecraft toi have better graphics and since we keep improving graphics.

You sound like the sort of person who says appearance doesn't matter in real life but then  wont sleep with a fat, spot covered girl.

Its an old lie. a classic.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I love people who say game play, when I see a million posts about people complaining about Graphics!!
  • WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70

Gameplay 100% atleast for me, although sometimes graphics do just get too outdated like ultima online for example, Amazing game...but i can`t play it anymore, it feels clunky and graphics are really outdated.

IMHO they really go hand in hand though, if your game looks like complete garbage i mean noone will really try it, because first impressions always stem from graphic quality.

Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    I love people who say game play, when I see a million posts about people complaining about Graphics!!

But would you play a game that has outdated graphics if you loved the game play? Of corse everyone wants both but this tread is about whats more important. What do you as a gamer put first. So far we batting 100 but I am sure there are some that swing the other way lol

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I can't vote because there is no option for they are both equally important. I want a game that is fun and with great graphics that suits my artistic preference. If the game slides on either one, it hurts my fun factor. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good example of a great balance between the two...at least in my eyes...on a PS4 connected to a high end monitor which is the equivalent to a PC on high settings. I love the game play and I love the graphics and the corresponding artistry. Thus, for me...a perfect game that I'm addicted to.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian
    I can't vote because there is no option for they are both equally important. I want a game that is fun and with great graphics that suits my artistic preference. If the game slides on either one, it hurts my fun factor. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good example of a great balance between the two...at least in my eyes...on a PS4 connected to a high end monitor which is the equivalent to a PC on high settings. I love the game play and I love the graphics and the corresponding artistry. Thus, for me...a perfect game that I'm addicted to.

You didnt read the OP =-) 

D

And graphics obviously do matter if minecraft players would like minecraft toi have better graphics and since we keep improving graphics.

You sound like the sort of person who says appearance doesn't matter in real life but then  wont sleep with a fat, spot covered girl.

Sir repeats a lot strikes again. 

Minecraft is 16 bit and with texture packs you can enhance it upto 32 bit.  What minecraft players now want after games release is irrelevant when your original claim was that  millions won't buy an oudated looking game.

Its ok we all are wrong every now and then. Be a bigger man and own up.

D

Sir repeats a lot strikes again. 

Minecraft is 16 bit and with texture packs you can enhance it upto 32 bit.  What minecraft players now want after games release is irrelevant when your original claim was that  millions won't buy an oudated looking game.

Its ok we all are wrong every now and then. Be a bigger man and own up.

The poll alone proves he does not speak for the masses as he puts it. 

• faye01faye01 Member Posts: 64
    well yeah, game play has it all say! but  for me its the graphic first that i would look into a game, how could i better play games with  such lousy one. Game graphics are the one that player could see before anything else right? and graphics also help gamers be encourage more to check out the game. Developers should really be into 3D now its a good thing.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

D

It just gets to a point where you have to ignore some people. Its just not worth it. There's a company called gog.com and they are making a killing selling very old game's and people are loving them me included. The list of old games i play is to long to list here.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Pretty much both for me also. Neither has a lead since I don't see why both can't be done in one game.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Gameplay trumps all for me. I'd play a game with Tibia's graphics if it was fun and had a lot of good features.
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I'm going to say gameplay but for mmorpgs I am more likely to try the ones that are the most visually appealing.
  • James806James806 Member Posts: 9
    for me both cause it will be boring if the game is bad in graphics or in gameplay
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    is this even a serious poll???
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

For me this is the order:

1. Gameplay.

2. Replayability

3. Lag free

4. Graphics

I prefer great gameplay and a smoothly running game way over fancy graphics. Just an example. I play modded Minecraft. This game is not known for great graphics , or even runs smoothly (if heavily modded).

I tend to get used to nice graphics quite fast untill I don't even notice it anymore and take it for granted. It is always the fun of gameplay that stays enjoying and keeps surprising me. And with high replayability, this just keeps continueing.