Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This should have been open world PvP

FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

There the title says it all.

Having an instanced area where PvP happens ruins the "world" feel and just makes the game feel like a game. Nothing like playing Skyrim or Oblivion that managed to create the feel of a world that was alive even with just NPCs.

They really missed a trick not making this game the same as Oblivion/skyrim but just MMO. People could have really taken cities and towns and built stuff.

As it is it just feels like an artificial world and the lore just does not fit it.

Such a shame.

Comments

• Eh, ill just wait til the Justice System. That should be close enough for me.

As long as there is a balance between killers and guards, it should be good enough.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    MMO in TES universe should to be an sandbox mmorpg , but too late for it
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    That system doesn't work and that's exactly why they didn't do it.  If you want proof then go play Mortal Online.  Its everything ESO Hardcore shoulda been and then some.  But be prepared to deal with a lot of douche bags.  And a harsh harsh world.  The players as a whole just don't want to deal with all the crap that comes with open world pvp.  And the developers don't know how to make it so its bearable at the least.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Having an instanced area where PvP happens ruins the "world" feel and just makes the game feel like a game. Nothing like playing Skyrim or Oblivion that managed to create the feel of a world that was alive even with just NPCs.

They really missed a trick not making this game the same as Oblivion/skyrim but just MMO. People could have really taken cities and towns and built stuff.

As it is it just feels like an artificial world and the lore just does not fit it.

Such a shame.

I couldn't disagree more, they actually wanted their game to succeed. Archage, Darkfall, mortal online are all out there failing miserably. Why the risk? To many people want to grief, and it scares away the player base.

The problem with the RvR in ESO is it just doesn't mean enough.

I hope you find that game you're looking for!

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Such a shame.

Umm, no.  Open World PvP fails period can you say AA?  Just like "sandbox" it sounds great to PvPers until it is put into action and then fails on its face.  There are always cowards and players with no skill ganking other, or exploiting mechanics in ways that were never dreamed of by the devs.

You want it to be just like Oblivion and Skyrim?  That's easy... Make it a single player RPG and leave out the MMO portion. Balancing every single possible character build with every other possible build alone makes your entire statement moot since balance is hard enough for cookie cutter character builds in almost every game, then throw in open world PvP and you a game where everyone plays the best build and only noobs and idiots play anything else.  Having everyone playing the same character sounds like tons of fun especially for PvP.

The problem with posts such as yours is that while it sounds easy to do it is anything but easy when you start digging down and have to incorporate mechanics from a single player game into an MMO while still addressing age old problems that come with MMOs, balance being just one.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a MMO that worked exactly like Skyim, but it is easier to dream than to create. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I agree OP it would have been nice if it did launch with Wpvp. That being said, Cryodiil is a pvp area the size and likes of we have never seen. Everything that's outside of Cyrodiil is also in Cyrodiil.

I think the justice system will be a really nice addition by bring some Wpvp into ESO.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Entris38

Such a shame.

I couldn't disagree more, they actually wanted their game to succeed. Archage, Darkfall, mortal online are all out there failing miserably. Why the risk? To many people want to grief, and it scares away the player base.

The problem with the RvR in ESO is it just doesn't mean enough.

I hope you find that game you're looking for!

but yet WoW has 10 million subscribers with Wpvp everywhere.

Originally posted by Bannuk

Such a shame.

Umm, no.  Open World PvP fails period can you say AA?  Just like "sandbox" it sounds great to PvPers until it is put into action and then fails on its face.  There are always cowards and players with no skill ganking other, or exploiting mechanics in ways that were never dreamed of by the devs.

You want it to be just like Oblivion and Skyrim?  That's easy... Make it a single player RPG and leave out the MMO portion. Balancing every single possible character build with every other possible build alone makes your entire statement moot since balance is hard enough for cookie cutter character builds in almost every game, then throw in open world PvP and you a game where everyone plays the best build and only noobs and idiots play anything else.  Having everyone playing the same character sounds like tons of fun especially for PvP.

The problem with posts such as yours is that while it sounds easy to do it is anything but easy when you start digging down and have to incorporate mechanics from a single player game into an MMO while still addressing age old problems that come with MMOs, balance being just one.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a MMO that worked exactly like Skyim, but it is easier to dream than to create. 

and yet WoW has 10 million subscribers and Wpvp everywhere.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That's largely irrelevant since the vast majority of the time you either fly over that 'open world' or you are in a lobby waiting for an instance.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Such a shame.

Why exactly? You do realize that ruins the game for alot of people right? There are plenty of games out there that you can run around pking to your hearts content. This one happens to not be one of them. Its good the devs didn't do that. 

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Such a shame.

How can I put this in simple terms...NO! (Says it all).

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Such a shame.

Nothing you suggested is anymore TES than ESO is. Open PVP? Taking cities? Building stuff? (please don't suggest Heathfire as actually building stuff.).. Taking skyrim and making it a MMO would be a themepark through and through, Quests the main content, instanced pre-made housing in set locations (with very limited customization). A world that's open but is mainly just filled with quest givers, resource nodes and scripted content. No way to impact or build in the world outside of random killing....it's a themepark.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Distopia

Such a shame.

Nothing you suggested is anymore TES than ESO is. Open PVP? Taking cities? Building stuff? (please don't suggest Heathfire as actually building stuff.).. Taking skyrim and making it a MMO would be a themepark through and through, Quests the main content, instanced pre-made housing in set locations (with very limited customization). A world that's open but is mainly just filled with quest givers, resource nodes and scripted content. No way to impact or build in the world outside of random killing....it's a themepark.

Skyrim is open ended themepark without a linear leveling path. You can join various guilds, take almost infinite number of different paths to max level.  So no, nothing like ESO at all. In Skyrim there is a sense that you can be attacked anywhere, in modern MMOs, this feeling is very very sparse.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JDis25

Such a shame.

Skyrim is open ended themepark without a linear leveling path. You can join various guilds, take almost infinite number of different paths to max level.  So no, nothing like ESO at all. In Skyrim there is a sense that you can be attacked anywhere, in modern MMOs, this feeling is very very sparse.

You can be attacked just as much in either by the same thing NPC's, 2 of the guilds you can join are also in ESO... more to come... we can trade back and forth many aspects that are similar or different, that's not teh point I was making, SKyrim is nothing like typical MMO sandboxes, it shares much more in common with themeparks.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

You can be attacked just as much in either by the same thing NPC's, 2 of the guilds you can join are also in ESO... more to come... we can trade back and forth many aspects that are similar or different, that's not teh point I was making, SKyrim is nothing like typical MMO sandboxes, it shares much more in common with themeparks.

Pretty much this.

Once you did the main quest and xpac stories, became the head of every guild there (companions, thieves, Brotherhood, mages). Crafted best armor and weapons, etc. there's really nothing to do but run around caves and dwemer ruins doing maybe some side quests. Kinda like some Mmos actually, lol.

But closer to a themepark IMO as well.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Pretty much this.

Once you did the main quest and xpac stories, became the head of every guild there (companions, thieves, Brotherhood, mages). Crafted best armor and weapons, etc. there's really nothing to do but run around caves and dwemer ruins doing maybe some side quests. Kinda like some Mmos actually, lol.

Unless you play ES games on Super easy, any ES game has real dangers in the wild. ESO no. It has challenging moments, but they are all right where you'd expect them to be. I am never surprised by the challenge in ESO, I expect it during certain times. Just like WoW or any other themepark.

ESO's content should have been open ended gameplay, not "these levels you go here, and then when you're done... you must go here!" Don't worry, unless you enter a dungeon or head into Cyrodil you have absolutely no chance of being defeated!

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by JDis25
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Pretty much this.

Unless you play ES games on Super easy, any ES game has real dangers in the wild. ESO no. It has challenging moments, but they are all right where you'd expect them to be. I am never surprised by the challenge in ESO, I expect it during certain times. Just like WoW or any other themepark.

ESO's content should have been open ended gameplay, not "these levels you go here, and then when you're done... you must go here!" Don't worry, unless you enter a dungeon or head into Cyrodil you have absolutely no chance of being defeated!

I've played ESO for a few months only but still play Skyrim from time to time.

Not sure I'd have enjoyed ESO even with a more open world type gameplay. I never got passed the 'restrictive' class specs or the cloth-wearing, staff-wielding DK Fotm at the time. My opinion of course.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

No thanks to open world griefing.

Try Darkfall or Mortal Online?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I hate these PvP creeps that try to ruin a perfectly good game because they feel they have the right to "grief" me.

Yes, there should have been a server.  Have at it.  Let all of you kill each other til you get bored with your min/maxing and leave me to my PvE entertainment.

It's like these kids now adays don't realize how shitty stuff like UO was when you would randomly open a chest in the woods to have someone stand over your dead poisoned body and grief the hell out of you (or your ghost).

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

Going into Cyrodil is like being a soldier in a war.  Going into something like an arena is volunteering for a duel.  Open world PvP is being mugged (being made miserable by others) or making other people miserable (which does nothing for me.)

Note that the justice system here has real potential to be very interesting - because there are real rewards for being cops as well as being robbers.  We'll have to see how it plays out, but that's the sort of (opt-in) PvP that I might actually find interesting.

Having some kids ganking me while I'm questing, griefing me because they get their kicks out of pissing other people off, or just hassling me for the hell of it: no thanks.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Ok just wanted to clear some things up.  10 Million WOW subs has nothing to do with the 2 pvp servers.  Archeage did not fail because it was WPVP.  It failed because it didn't deliver on any of their expectations.  Just about everyone who had 1 good reason to play that game lost it shortly after launch.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

instanced pvp is by far better to me, everyone in it wants to pvp, so its fair game.  Open World pvp on every open pvp server I have played on ends up lame anyways, there are never fair battles, its always ganking lower levels, or bringing 5 v 1.

I hear a lot of self absorbed anti pvp people in this thread. They actually think when they are in enemy territory questing and farming then get killed the killer did it to grief them. 

Again WoW has one of the least restrictive Wpvp systems in the genre. Why don't you see the boards filled with these same complaints? Why, because 99% of the complaints you read are gross exaggerations of events that may have happened to them once or twice in all their hours of gaming. Something that happened to them 10 years ago in UO.

Stop with the poor me. I hear there are a lot of good single player rpgs with co-op now a days.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I like Cyrodil.  I don't like being ganked when I want to be doing something else.  That's not anti-PvP; it's favoring consensual PvP.  Open-world to me means PvP everywhere; that's a different beast than PvP in designated places.
  • CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99

The way they made the game it wouldn't work obviously, but I think if it was a huge open world with the three factions and something like what they have in Cyrodiil it might have been pretty fun. Points of interest, keeps, guard towers at choke points all having connections to territories that could be taken over for your faction would of been pretty cool.

I just think that the PvE focus on these games with the big worlds is wasted space after you experience it once or twice with an alt, with PvP and land control you would have reason to go back into every area many many many times.