Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is EVE

kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Excellent trailer.  One of - if not the - finest they've done thus far, imo.

o7

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Yeah, that's a very, very cool trailer. Doesn't get much more "real" than hearing the actual voices, of actual players, in actual situations. 

Kinda shows those who wonder what Eve's all about, or think it's literally "spreadsheets in space", or just "all about trolling other players", that it's actually quite a bit more than that.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by kovah
     Excellent trailer.  One of - if not the - finest they've done thus far, imo.o7

I enjoyed that, However its a bit misleading in terms of the "day to day" events of eve.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by kovah

Excellent trailer.  One of - if not the - finest they've done thus far, imo.

o7

I enjoyed that, However its a bit misleading in terms of the "day to day" events of eve.

To be fair... no MMO trailer shows the "day-to-day" activities. They always show the more exciting stuff the given game offers.

Although, it does show people mining, and sharing their excitement about the yield potential... or of how they're hauling stuff more valuable than the ship it's in and need to "get the eff out of this system", etc... That could very well be "day to day" activities for many players. 

Those things may not be exciting to you, but they would certainly raise the interest of others.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,087

I liked EVE a lot for a while. But I didn't like their execution of the skill system.

The skill system just seemed to shout at me : 'Stay subbed please so you can get this pretty skill!' .

That and the lack of PVE made me stop playing. Although probe scanning gave me a sense of treasure hunting in a way that I never see in other modern MMO's. And PVP was loads of fun for a while too.  But in terms of interesting activities It was not enough for a MMO for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,922

Definitely an excellent trailer and really captures what EVE can be all about, and why I've been playing since 2007 I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

The trailer is amazing like most of their trailers.

Sadly......

New Eve player, meet Eve vet.

Hey, where did the new player go?

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

CCP_Prawn-
    All the scenes were hand animated, but were based on the original footage (staring at overviews or asking some people who were there for more info) wherever possible. It's rendered completely in-engine to try and keep it as authentic as it could be, but with a touch of creative license of course. :) 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,038
    Great video.  Using player comms lends a genuine-ness to the clip that makes it very enjoyable; this is something that you would not be able to find in a game without depth and a long running history.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• I love this game. And yes this is the REAL Eve. By the way... Brace yourselves! Butthurt newbies incoming!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Best EVE traier created to date, and a reminder of why I've been playing this great game since 2009 :)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Very nice.

Its this kind of experience i search in fantasy setting mmorpg.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Beautiful trailer.. I can't say much more than that. Best trailer I've seen for a game, ever.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    For me best mmo experience ever.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254

OMG - what a trailer !

Because it captures the SPIRIT of the game, not only the grafics ....

Great work CCP !

Have fun

• WITWICSWITWICS Member Posts: 8

As some ppl say, EVE is not a game, but a career!

As long CCP keep working hard to upgrade and polish the game at every chance they have, I will be playing. Don't fool yourself thinking is an old game just because was launched in 2003, in fact, if you played EVE last year there will be thousands of new stuff there if you log today.

There are not that many MMOs out there with subscription fee (and not a cheap one) that can live 12+ years, you know.

EVE is on top of almost every serious ratings and some ppl are surprised when they see things like "The best MMO of the year" for many, many years and not only 2003. Of course, disgrunted ex-players (mostly cheaters that were banned) will talk about how "bad" the game is... the only thing you can be sure is: you have a free trial available, try and see for yourself.

Fly safe.

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

Excellent trailer...seriously...BEST TRAILER EVER.

Because it showcases a lot of not only what makes Eve Online special, but also why people play MMORPGs, without some arbitrary or over-dramatic storylines. (not saying thats a bad thing, i really enjoyed Draenor's cinematics, for example)

Its the players. The Community. The people that, when you logged into your favourite MMORPG, and see them online, and your game experience and enjoyment increase tremendously. They are half the reason or sometimes the only reason why you keep logging on, long past the honeymoon stage of your MMO life.

And no other trailer so far captures this essence...this spirit better than "This is Eve".

Its so good, it may just as well be called" This is MMO". (or at least, what a MMO supposed to be).

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    It's a great trailer, made me want to play again (last time I played was 2011) so it had the desired effect I guess. :)

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I liked EVE a lot for a while. But I didn't like their execution of the skill system.

The skill system just seemed to shout at me : 'Stay subbed please so you can get this pretty skill!' .

That and the lack of PVE made me stop playing. Although probe scanning gave me a sense of treasure hunting in a way that I never see in other modern MMO's. And PVP was loads of fun for a while too.  But in terms of interesting activities It was not enough for a MMO for me.

I liked Eve's skill system because it took the grinding out of basic character progression. No doing boring quest after boring quest, no griding mobs for hours on end. Just click a skill and watch it increase, and everyone increases at roughly the same pace with no benefit in this area for the no-lifers.

<3

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Nice.

I've been thinking about picking up EVE again. Haven't played in a couple of years, but getting the itch.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    dang what a amazing trailer i downloaded eve because it does look cool but. I just got completely lost. im sure if i understood more of the beginning i would have stayed it looks like such a great game
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by mayanking
    dang what a amazing trailer i downloaded eve because it does look cool but. I just got completely lost. im sure if i understood more of the beginning i would have stayed it looks like such a great game

Eve Online is not a game you can just jump into. The tutorials, unlike in other games, are mandatory.

<3

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Enbysra
    Originally posted by Nepheth

I love this game. And yes this is the REAL Eve. By the way... Brace yourselves! Butthurt newbies incoming!

Incoming newb right here... ~20% downloaded so far.

The whole seeing a spaceship and not my customized character part is what has always turned me off from trying this game. Seeing how it is, EVE seems like the only real sandbox with depth, why not give it a shot with the free trial? And as someone (ah! dreamscaper, right above this post image) mentioned, it has a mandatory tutorial, so just hoping it gives the basics on gameplay options.

My own main reason for trying it out at this point (of which I visited their site and started downloading before coming here and seeing this video), is to see some points that sound to be of actual interest. EVE's economy, the corporation spy bits, the information that is actually important enough that others would want to buy it bit and the exploration bit. 

I have read a little here and there about EVE, and probably the most about EVE's economy, which does sound interesting. Any tidbits anyone here can give on these points of interest?

** How the economy works / is set up, in some depth, and how to utilize it in order to build? As far as I have heard, each region has it's own economy, with various resources more valuable than others based on where those resources come from and how dangerous it is to harvest and transport them.

** How does one actually go about becoming a spy for one corporation, and then actually get into spying in another? Add, what type of information are spies actually valuable for or aiming to gain, and-or how is that information used? Based on what I know without having played, I would imagine spies would communicate information to their "actual corporation they work for" with respect to the "spied on corporation" having it's forces in one location while leaving another location vulnerable. Also, I could see where transportation of valuable resources or products may also be important.

** Information that one can achieve that others would want to buy... what type of information would one want to gain that would fall under this category? How would you go about gaining such valuable information? In this, I might be inclined to think that mining sites may fall under this category. This may also include information to various corporations such that the "spy category" entailed... thus, one could act as a rogue / mercenary type spy?

** Exploration, I would assume would lead to finding mining sites, or perhaps getting a visual location or direction of fleets? What else would this entail?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry about the wall of text. And your welcome for the free newb farming target I am likely to supply you once I do get in. image

1 - Yes, each region have it's own market, but everything pretty much tied up to one of the main trade hubs. Jita, Amarr, etc.

2 - Spycraft is pretty much like real life, you blend in and gather infomation ie listening on TS, chat logs...etc. As type of info, depends, fleet movement, titan building, gatecamps. Note: most, if not all corp in EvE are very very paranoid and have taken up measures to stop spies, ie restricted access to certain resources, teamspeak chat rooms etc.

3 - IDK

4 - Exploration not entitled to mining sites. There are deadspace complexes, wormholes, hacking sites, and also other players mission sites. You can scan down salvage wrecks too.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

EvE is the one that I always feel an impulse to go back to because it's the only one that is about existing in a virtual world, but the real-time based skill system annoys me because having to wait 3 months or whatever for a new skill gets to be a drag

Edit: Hmm based on the video there's a lot of new stuff since the last time I was in EvE

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by Enbysra

Incoming newb right here... ~20% downloaded so far.

Welcome!

The whole seeing a spaceship and not my customized character part is what has always turned me off from trying this game. 

This one always makes me smile a bit.  In just about every Fantasy MMO where you can spend forever customizing your characters appearance then you're in game with full plate armor on and a small slit that you can almost see those customized mesmerizing blue eyes...   

In EVE think of your ship as that armor.  Interchangeable and upgrade-able from the basic rookie ship all the way up to Capital Class ships depending on your need/desire (and time spent training dem cap skillz)

Seeing how it is, EVE seems like the only real sandbox with depth, why not give it a shot with the free trial? And as someone (ah! dreamscaper, right above this post image) mentioned, it has a mandatory tutorial, so just hoping it gives the basics on gameplay options.

The tutorial can be skipped and resumed as desired, FYI.  But it really IS mandatory that one should complete it.

** How the economy works / is set up, in some depth, and how to utilize it in order to build? As far as I have heard, each region has it's own economy, with various resources more valuable than others based on where those resources come from and how dangerous it is to harvest and transport them.

The market is searchable based on the Region your character is currently in and search results can be filtered down from there to the Station you are in as the only place being searched.  There are ~4-5 main "trade hubs" in game in non-NullSec.  Basically they're just the place in each Region that will definitely most likely have the item you are searching for and typically at the best price.  But anything can be sold anywhere so while Jita 4-4 will likely have the item you want for 5,000 ISK the same item might also be selling for 6,000 ISK in the system you are currently in.  Or for 5,000,000 ISK for the same item out in "dangerous" Low-Security space.

I'm no market guru though so as far as utilizing the economy for more than just buying stuff I gots nothing.

** How does one actually go about becoming a spy for one corporation, and then actually get into spying in another? Add, what type of information are spies actually valuable for or aiming to gain, and-or how is that information used? Based on what I know without having played, I would imagine spies would communicate information to their "actual corporation they work for" with respect to the "spied on corporation" having it's forces in one location while leaving another location vulnerable. Also, I could see where transportation of valuable resources or products may also be important.

I figure what yaminsux said pretty much covers in.  I know in Faction Warfare everybody knows to not give out crucial information in the Militia chat just cause of course the enemy faction has some newb alt spy in there reading everything.

** Information that one can achieve that others would want to buy... what type of information would one want to gain that would fall under this category? How would you go about gaining such valuable information? In this, I might be inclined to think that mining sites may fall under this category. This may also include information to various corporations such that the "spy category" entailed... thus, one could act as a rogue / mercenary type spy?

** Exploration, I would assume would lead to finding mining sites, or perhaps getting a visual location or direction of fleets? What else would this entail?

Wormhole entries and other sites can be found via Exploration and the locations can be sold/traded but are more often just utilized by the Explorer themselves.  The Exploration tree leads to cloaky ships that can track enemy movements but even cloaky ships have to uncloak when they use a gate and take half a half a second to recloak on the other side.

Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry about the wall of text. And your welcome for the free newb farming target I am likely to supply you once I do get in. image

Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.  Trust no one.  If someone is talking to you its probably a scam.  Insanely helpful community - ASK in the Rookie chat that you are forced into for the first 30 days.

GL HF Fly Safe!

o7