Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Skyforge have a stigma for being Russian?

2»

Comments

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    I wouldn't care even if it was made by aliens.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

No. You are paranoid, and a russophobe. Don't poke the Bear, and the Bear will not 'hug' you.

Russian hackers are a legit concern, but so are American ones. You trusted your info to Trion, did you not? No? Ok, perhaps you are wiser than I thought. Or, not. May as well not play Tanks, if that concerns you.

F2P is a legit concern, tends to put me off.

Watch out for Moose and Squirrel.

DO NOT POKE THE BEAR!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

In answer to OP, I hope not, because it would be stupid and ignorant to do so. If on the other hand, you could prove that such a company was owned by people who used the money to further what you consider injustice, then that could be a different situation. For example, if Blizzard were owned by Monsanto or something, you might have your reasons to not give them your money.

There has been a lot of good sense in this thread so far, I should say.

America has done some pretty horrible things in history -- I won't go into details, but any person with at least a rudimentary education and who has not been blinded by propaganda knows this. If you look at almost any country's history, I'm sure you can find some crimes against humanity. Power elites the world over and throughout history are and have been all the same. It wouldn't make any sense to boycott a company (and the creative people who work there) because of where they are located.

Any reservations I have about this game are solely because it is f2p -- this is because of my experience with Trion (an American company). If a month or so after its release Skyforge is getting great reviews, I will check it out.

Let's not create a new cold war. We will never win. No one wins. Only the elites and their cronies who manipulate public opinion for their own personal benefit.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

When it comes to Russian games, I find the motto is pretty much, "buyer beware". Their games are sometimes actually pretty good, but the companies running them are living in a LIbertarian Utopia called Russia, where there are few enforced laws regarding consumers' rights.

I played WoT on and off for 2 years before I sank any money into it, for instance, and that was only because I felt I got my $20 worth of entertainment. But you have to choose your purchase veryyyyyyyyy carefully. Some things are worth they money, others aren't. 

I'm still skeptical of any Russian games on the market and not for geopolitical reasons. I just don't like having to analyze and research them and the company to death before I invest money. I'd rather go with a tried and true developer/publisher that I at least know holds themselves to some standard.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Originally posted by d_20

Any reservations I have about this game are solely because it is f2p -- this is because of my experience with Trion (an American company). If a month or so after its release Skyforge is getting great reviews, I will check it out.

I was just going to post that people will stigma the game simply cause it's F2P. This quote above proves it. "I had a bad experience with a F2P MMO so all F2Ps MMO are bad" is this odd mentality that users on this site share. I would give a little more credibility for people who played Allods, since its the same developer, but a lot of people seem to be bringing up AA and Trion like those 2 are even somehow relevant to Allods Team or Obsidian Entertainment. 

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    @OP: I've honestly been reading your thread and scratching my head.. Someone should make a minimum IQ requirement for internet access.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Honestly the political infrastructure is rarely what it seems.   I won't open Pandoras Box on that one, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

To me, Skyforge will always have a stigma for being another F2P game from the "Allods Team". They are doing a fine job of distancing Skyforge from the Allods name though.

Russian F2P games seem to align more with Asian values than western ones. They appear to accept the fact that money is power and have no problem with P2W. That's how RL works, so why should games be any different ?

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

"...and all the Redditors try to scold me..."~RedHotChilli Poppers

"I don't get it."~you

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

when it comes to politics i doubt it will have any stigma. 

The only stigma it might have will be the same Stigma our fellow Brazilian gamers have. Just because a group of them do some nonsense repeatedly there is a bunch of ignorants who keep generalizing about them in every online game.

So yeah, nothing wrong with politics. A lot of gamers play western games and share completely different views or ideals from the west, and vice versa. Gamers are gamers no matter what, keep politics out of our space.

My opinion.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Not really concerned by nationality of publisher/developers. What worries me more is how mail.ru will handle the payment model in this game. I used to play Allods for quite a while, and while it was mostly just yet another WoW clone in it's structure it had that interesting mechanic of astral ships as an endgame which was quite promising. The problem was the microtransactions that came along with cursed gear that you had to pay real money to de-curse, death penalties that you had to pay real money to remove, etc. If the business model will be reasonable I don't see why it being Russian would affect the game's chances that much. 

Keep in mind Russian Government =/= Russian People, just like in every other country. Should we boycott all US games as well just because NSA and 'what they can do with our personal data' ?

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

I think, with the current geo-political environment and the attitude between Russia and the west which doesn't seem to be calming any time soon, I personally won't be investing money in a Russian-made mmo. I understand it seems like paranoia, and that's fine, but if the conditions don't get resolved, why should I trust a Russian company with my financial info? Similarly, why would I log on to Russian servers and be at the mercy of whatever data I freely allow from them?

What do you think? Is Putin destroying this game's chance for success?

I assume you arent using any China build computing devices either?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

This thread is still going? See, it's true, "In Russia the game plays you."  <- Say that in a Russian accent and it'll make more sense. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Edli
    I wouldn't care even if it was made by aliens.

+1

Russian or not who cares. 

http://observer.com/2014/12/russians-rage-against-america/

"Today, according to the respected Moscow ‘Levada Center,’ which measures political sentiment in Russian society, 74% of Russians have negative feelings towards the USA. It hasn’t always been like this; in the 1990s, 80% had positive attitude toward America."

"Anti-American sentiment has been growing slowly in Russia since the war in former Yugoslavia. But the sharp recent increase happened as a result of the US-led sanctions that were imposed on Russia after the ‘Russian annexation of Crimea.’ For example, just last week Visa and MasterCard completely stopped their operations in Crimea, leaving more than 2 million people there without access to their money. 75% of Russians do not believe that their country is responsible for the events in Ukraine. On the contrary, they blame the US."

"The owners of the Moscow supermarket “Electronics on Presnya” are using American flag doormats so the customers could wipe their dirty feet off, according to the British tabloid Daily Mail. “Customers have been filmed wiping their feet on the fabled stars and stripes as they enter and exit stores across Moscow, as struggling retailers take a hopeless swipe at their Cold War adversaries,”

You know, alot of Russians are losing their jobs right now because of their economy issues. Some of those are very bright and have strong contempt for the USA. Sticking your head in the sand and saying, "it shouldn't matter", isn't going to change the fact a large number of them dislike us and would take what they could from us given the opportunity. I don't trust anything coming out of Russian right now, and probably a few years after it smoothes over, whenever that will be.

It's grand many people want to be pc. I don't think you're reasonable, though.

• VelqorVelqor Member Posts: 33

As a European (the Netherlands to be exact) I have to admit, i'd rather play something made by a company from Russia than a company from the US. And I'm certainly not the only one.

Originally posted by Velqor

As a European (the Netherlands to be exact) I have to admit, i'd rather play something made by a company from Russia than a company from the US. And I'm certainly not the only one.

Doesn't make any sense. Not sure you can legitimize it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

For various reasons I wont buy any stuff coming from Russia if I have the chance.

I don't trust the US for their Big Brother tactics, but I even prefer them above any Russian product.

I just don't like funding a dictatorship.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• VelqorVelqor Member Posts: 33

Most people here don't like that the US constantly spies on their allies, including the Netherlands. Not only through social media, but obviously games and other communication too (Also american spy planes are often noticed above Europe, which has raised some concerns as well as anti-american comments from a few politicians) 

At least a third of the people I've spoken were also dissapointed by the recent actions of the US. They haven't provided satalite data of the MH17 crash so far, I absolutely believe the rebels shot the plane down (though the plane shouldn't have been there in the first place, but that's ukraine's fault) but most of us are dissapointed by the lack of proof. Also, you can't take anyone seriously who says their evidence is from social media, and I still hope  Marie Harf is a troll.

Needless to say, even without geopolitics there seems to be a trend at which europeans focus on their own region, and why wouldn't they? They are after all number 1 in terms of GDP, there are a lot of quality products made in Europe, and yes, even games. 

But in general it still seems more people would choose for something from the US than something from Russia. Even if the US is weakening. And why wouldn't they, except the political situation and undemocratic behavior there is absolutely nothing wrong with the US, and some of the games that are made by Americans are amazing! But then again, you can say the same about Russia, it doesn't matter that much. It's not like one is good while the other is evil. 

Most people here don't like that the US constantly spies on their allies, including the Netherlands. Not only through social media, but obviously games and other communication too (Also american spy planes are often noticed above Europe, which has raised some concerns as well as anti-american comments from a few politicians) 

At least a third of the people I've spoken were also dissapointed by the recent actions of the US. They haven't provided satalite data of the MH17 crash so far, I absolutely believe the rebels shot the plane down (though the plane shouldn't have been there in the first place, but that's ukraine's fault) but most of us are dissapointed by the lack of proof. Also, you can't take anyone seriously who says their evidence is from social media, and I still hope  Marie Harf is a troll.

Needless to say, even without geopolitics there seems to be a trend at which europeans focus on their own region, and why wouldn't they? They are after all number 1 in terms of GDP, there are a lot of quality products made in Europe, and yes, even games. 

But in general it still seems more people would choose for something from the US than something from Russia. Even if the US is weakening. And why wouldn't they, except the political situation and undemocratic behavior there is absolutely nothing wrong with the US, and some of the games that are made by Americans are amazing! But then again, you can say the same about Russia, it doesn't matter that much. It's not like one is good while the other is evil. 

This thread is about being hesitant or unwilling to buy into Russian-made software because their populace is unhappy with the west and would like to screw us, because they feel we screwed them. I don't personally care that they invaded somewhere like Georgia or Ukraine, I care that because of the west's reaction, Russians are seething at the west, particularly the USA, and I don't think I'll trust financial transactions or downloads from them.

This isn't an "I hate Russia" thread. This isn't a "USA is best thread". This isn't a "I heard men in black were listening to my phone calls because I'm so interesting" thread. This isn't a "government spying" thread at all and I'm not implicating the Russian govenment when I say... This is a "we've just created a generation of pissed off Russians in the computer age" thread.

Get it now? Sure I ask, "Did Putin screw over Allods", because I feel he's at the epicenter of the impetus of this whole thing. It's past that now. The things are done, the sanctions are cast, jobs are gone, lives are ruined, Russians are pointing at US.

On a final note, don't think you're above this. Netherlands is part of NATO, too, last I checked, and your people are fine with the Russian sanctions.

• orcwillorcwill Member Posts: 1

If you don't want to play game, just write it. Don't approve your choice by standard phrase "Russians sre bad, they will destroy my world"

Don't be donkey with carrot near face. This game is shit! Because it is clon of Newerwinter and Elder Scrolls with Asian gameplay. And don't write, that Russians are bad, or you will see warriors from Chechna