Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the pvp in TERA?

NothingSpecialxdNothingSpecialxd Member Posts: 4

My friends and i mostly enjoy pvp so i was curious how pvp is in this game before we try it.

I also have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind answering.

Are the pvp servers/shards actually populated? Also is there only one pvp shard?

Is open world pvp popular on pvp shards?

Are there arenas such as 3v3, 5v5s etc. and are the ques really long to enter them or to enter battleground as well?

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

For instance pvp, there is 3v3's, 15v15's, and 20v20's.  Some of the instances are equalized matches (all gear is set to the same, no matter your lvl) you can enter those at lv30.  The one's that are not equalized are ranked and best to go in with pvp gear.

The highest populated pvp server is MT, so you might want to try that server.

There is also faction pvp on all servers (3 factions per server)  along with Guild v Guild pvp.  The GvG pvp is pretty much pointless as of right now but they will be adding new guild housing to the victors of GvG battles in the future so that might perk it up some.

Here's some useful links:

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/pvp#wherecanifight

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/battlegrounds/corsairs-stronghold

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/battlegrounds/fraywind-canyon

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/battlegrounds/champions-skyring

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Was there not some politics system in game ? And open PVP ?

Or was that removed ?

• You're awesome, thank you so much!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Was there not some politics system in game ? And open PVP ?

Or was that removed ?

Both are still in game last time I checked.  

To OP.  Tera had some great PVP when I played it from launch to a month after F2P.  The thing that killed it for me was when they put in stagger.  Dumbest mechanic they could of put in imo.  I can't say for sure if it still is in game or not.  If they took it out, PVP is great in Tera.  MT is definitely the place to go.  My mains are there.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Just a word of warning, because Tera's system is more skill based than other mmos a lot of people get the idea that they can just go in with crap gear and wreck.  Which usually ends poorly in much rage.  The problem is of course that to get the get the best gear takes quite a bit of time and PvP, so the people with good gear also tend to have a lot more experience both with their class and countering other classes.  So new people generally are at a double disadvantage of gear and experience which takes a lot of skill to overcome (unless your opponent is horrible, there are a few of those around.)

I feel a bit silly mentioning it... but I had a friend who was brought to tears because he though "skill" based combat would mean he would just go in and destroy everyone in his first bg...

• Thank ya'll for the replies. I don't really expect much from new games i sort of take them how they are, i've played enough bad games and i've learned that lesson lol. I want to give this game a try i just wanted to make sure the pvp wasn't dead in it before i decided to try it, anything else i can probably get over or work around hopefully. I already expect games like this to be a grindfest but i don't mind if they're actually worth it.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by reeereee

Just a word of warning, because Tera's system is more skill based than other mmos a lot of people get the idea that they can just go in with crap gear and wreck.  Which usually ends poorly in much rage.  The problem is of course that to get the get the best gear takes quite a bit of time and PvP, so the people with good gear also tend to have a lot more experience both with their class and countering other classes.  So new people generally are at a double disadvantage of gear and experience which takes a lot of skill to overcome (unless your opponent is horrible, there are a few of those around.)

I feel a bit silly mentioning it... but I had a friend who was brought to tears because he though "skill" based combat would mean he would just go in and destroy everyone in his first bg...

This game is more about gear than skill. If it was a skill based game, it wouldn't matter what gear you have but it does. This game has no skill involved at all - it is all gear based.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

This is so definitely true. You can go in with the second best set and still beat anyone if you know what you're doing, and you can also beat people with the absolute best of everything with lesser gear if they're bad. Once you get to that point where you have a half decent endgame PvP set (to put you on equal footing with everyone else) it's all about the skill. There are players out there that have played a lot and know what they're doing more than you realize (unless you see them explain stuff in a video or forum post or via voice chat if you're playing with them, etc.) It's not about their gear because everyone at endgame has the same gear. TERA is more skill based in PvP than most games and definitely fun. There's a lot of nuances that you won't pick up on at first.

• Would anyone mind telling me how the ques system works, can you que for a 3v3 with a premade group and can you que for warfronts with a premade group? we all want to play with each other
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by botrytis

This game is more about gear than skill. If it was a skill based game, it wouldn't matter what gear you have but it does. This game has no skill involved at all - it is all gear based.

There is some gear requirements.  But this statement is pretty false.  A well geared player but not very skilled will get destroyed by a player with decent gear and good skill.  I think botrytis is mistaking Tera with a tab target mmo.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The one PvP server in EU is pretty well populated. However the open world PvP in TERA is pretty terrible. It contains mostly of twinks, decked out in twink equipment, ganking people lower level and less equipped to them.

Then at level 60 you have gankers, decked out in full, end game PvP armor, going around and ganking mostly high levels because there is a system in place which penalises you if you kill people 6+ lower level than you.

The penalty is pure annoyance though and not much else. It basically permanently switches on your PvP switch until you wait or kill mobs to get rid of it. And yes, you heard that right, there is a PvP switch on the PvP server O.o

Then there is a zone specifically made for alliance PvP, which means three faction PvP but it is mostly pointless and just another gear grind by doing PvP mixed with PvE.

Finally you have your run of the mill instanced PvP, with equalized gear and level, and then duels and guild conflict which I have not understood what the point is. Beside just killing people of the other guild, ofcourse.

Overall I would say that TERA PvP is pretty shitty and the focus of the game is 90/10 in favour of PvE. Pretty sad as the action combat does make for some nice PvP. However it is quite abused by the idiot devs giving the tiny races, like the pedo-elin and their pedo-bear companion, much smaller hitbox but with few other disadvantages over the larger races. So most PvPers run around as Elin which makes PvP even a bigger joke than it already is.

For you who don't know, Elin is basically an anime girl race (=pre-teen girl in sexualised clothing). And most female models are basically wearing bikini-armor and swinging their hips side by side when moving. The game is a fairly sexist one.

But the combat is oh soo good and the GFX (female models excluded) is pretty damn good. But dont play this game purely for PvP as you will likely be sorely dissappointed.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by botrytis

False. Gear plays a major factor in PvP combat but so does skill. I would say the combat is 60/40 in favor of gear. However the BGs (instanced combat) all have equalized gear so there it is 100% skill/experience. Also some classes are much more powerful than other. The fairly recently introduced class, the Reaper, is massively OP with huge DPS spikes, several invulnerability skills and long stuns on top of that.

Some other classes have high survivability but next to zero DPS, such as the Priest and Mystics. Lancer, the main tank of the game, is pretty good in PvP but due to low DPS really can't kill anything by himself but they can be a huge pain in the ass.

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63
    pvp is all about gear, just try to kill a priest in the top pvp gear as a lancer with the top pve gear
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The instanced pvp is awful.  It's one of the worst i've ever experienced in MMO's.   There's only 2 maps, and one requires being a baby wearing diapers, where the other team has to collect candy gems.. i'm being serious here.
  • ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Yamota

The one PvP server in EU is pretty well populated. However the open world PvP in TERA is pretty terrible. It contains mostly of twinks, decked out in twink equipment, ganking people lower level and less equipped to them.

Then at level 60 you have gankers, decked out in full, end game PvP armor, going around and ganking mostly high levels because there is a system in place which penalises you if you kill people 6+ lower level than you.

The penalty is pure annoyance though and not much else. It basically permanently switches on your PvP switch until you wait or kill mobs to get rid of it. And yes, you heard that right, there is a PvP switch on the PvP server O.o

Then there is a zone specifically made for alliance PvP, which means three faction PvP but it is mostly pointless and just another gear grind by doing PvP mixed with PvE.

Finally you have your run of the mill instanced PvP, with equalized gear and level, and then duels and guild conflict which I have not understood what the point is. Beside just killing people of the other guild, ofcourse.

Overall I would say that TERA PvP is pretty shitty and the focus of the game is 90/10 in favour of PvE. Pretty sad as the action combat does make for some nice PvP. However it is quite abused by the idiot devs giving the tiny races, like the pedo-elin and their pedo-bear companion, much smaller hitbox but with few other disadvantages over the larger races. So most PvPers run around as Elin which makes PvP even a bigger joke than it already is.

For you who don't know, Elin is basically an anime girl race (=pre-teen girl in sexualised clothing). And most female models are basically wearing bikini-armor and swinging their hips side by side when moving. The game is a fairly sexist one.

But the combat is oh soo good and the GFX (female models excluded) is pretty damn good. But dont play this game purely for PvP as you will likely be sorely dissappointed.

You made me laugh so hard i cried, thanks :)

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by Yamota

However it is quite abused by the idiot devs giving the tiny races, like the pedo-elin and their pedo-bear companion, much smaller hitbox but with few other disadvantages over the larger races. So most PvPers run around as Elin which makes PvP even a bigger joke than it already is.

Elin have smaller hit boxes, AND longer reach and animations on some classes make them move further than other classes. And that OP Reaper class you mention can only be an Elin. It is really weird.

Personally I don't think of the Elin as sexualized little girls, but neither do I want to play as a (imo) stupid looking little girlish character in underpants so its a bit disappointing that Elin are basically the master race in Tera. I actually really like all the other races (male and female) and the art.

In terms of pvp- the keep attack bg that unlocks around level 35 is quite fun.

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

to the OP:

I truly enjoyed Teras open world pvp servers. i can only speak for the leveling process though. teras combat is inspired by capcoms monster hunter series, which has the best combat ever imo. sure gear matters, but its like 80% skill. i remember i was at the desert. and one lance guy attacked me. he crit me twice and i was near dead. through skill and concentration i was able to chip his health away and still win. that suspension, when you meet someone in a vast area, is like in real life.. you look how he will react. thats how pvp should be in mmos imo. but also, the pvp system can sometimes be flawed at 1v1 level. its sometimes unbalanced. for example there was one class called mystic? or so^^. that class had pet summon, healing power and one fucking teleportation. they were really hard to beat 1 v 1. in big cities you can duel people for fun. we dueled and showed our gear.

so yeah, in a crappy themepark mmo world, tera is the way to go for pvp imo. have fun

edit: aolso in tera happened something, so weird and cool, that i thought : wow, mmos have such potential. 

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by observer
    The instanced pvp is awful.  It's one of the worst i've ever experienced in MMO's.   There's only 2 maps, and one requires being a baby wearing diapers, where the other team has to collect candy gems.. i'm being serious here.

That battleground is actually really innovative, like a lot of things about TERA.  3 players controlling bosses vs. actual players is an amazing idea and it's lots of fun.

Yes it's silly and weird, but so is the whole style of TERA.

TERA continues to innovate with the new competetive PVE battleground.  Anyway, I think the PVP is some of the best in MMOs, as is the PVE.

Only thing stopping this game is the style puts many off, and it takes them a long time in between content updates (at least it has, maybe they will be quicker).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    OWPVP in Tera has been a joke for quite sometime.  Was fun at launch, but then you realize that everything you need to do in Tera, you can do with a scroll (port) to the dungeon you need to go to, or whatever.  They added the alliance area...but it's nothing more than large battlegrounds.  So...that said, owpvp is very fail in this game.  BG's are okay...combat system is amazing.  It's worth it for a pvper to play a few months, but if you like owpvp, you will get bored.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"