Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor RIP #2 - Symbiosis

2»

Comments

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Never thought i'd ever see myself saying this again as I've been pretty critical of the game from the last expansion, but I'm having alot of fun right now with Warlords. 

Garrisons are cool (though all they did is take the timed elements of some of the facebook games and inserted it into WoW), leveling is fun, the fact they got rid of flying mounts in the new area really helps as well. Minor issues with some of the 100 level skills for my Hunter, but overall the game has been a blast to play again.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Yeah! Wait until the "euphoria" of enjoying the game wears off and then write a review!

He might be on to something. Wait until you're done having fun and then just write about how the games not fun and completely skip writing about the part where you did have fun.

My new review of Super Mario Brothers:

I don't own the game anymore, or a Nintendo, therefore I don't think the game is fun. It might have been fun when I played it, but there's no sense in discussing that in my review.

You're being a tad ridiculous, regardless of proving a point.  The suggestion is the "new game euphoria" can be established in any game you're enjoying, but as we all know that can change quickly.

A review should be an on-going affair for an MMO.  There were initial reviews for games on this site that have COMPLETELY changed since they released, yet the site has them still listed with faults and low scores from previous factors that are non-existent now.

I would be more interested to see how the long term review/enjoyment goes rather than just another "WoW expansion, much fun, very wow!" which is just status quo by this point.

What do you think the purpose of a "Review in Progress is?"  

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Some idiot was bragging that he leveled to 100 in 6 hours.  I asked him why did he buy the game?  He certainly has no clue the point is to playing a MMO.  Just another FPS nut that thinks the level is everything.   If you get in a group with players like this, BOOT them, they will most definitely ruin your game play.  

Enjoying this expansion far more than some of the past ones.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Haven't touched WoW since WoTLK expansion and none of the xpacs since have drawn my attention, not even this last one. I fail to see the draw beyond that of fanboyism.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Haven't touched WoW since WoTLK expansion and none of the xpacs since have drawn my attention, not even this last one. I fail to see the draw beyond that of fanboyism.

I wasn't interested too cause on paper it doesn't look that impressive. But when you get to play it is awesome. Story is great, draenor is interesting and the garisson is very cool.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ripp57Ripp57 Member Posts: 2

A lot of hype on this expansion, but i won't be giving it a chance. With each expansion the game got more and more dumbed down.

It's so mind numbingly easy, it's ridiculous

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I love this expansion.  I've said it before even seeing the first raid, Best Expansion Ever! :)

I'm hooked on the Garrison and find almost all my time getting resources for it, and not just the garrison resources.  Another thing is that it is per character.  I have 3 level 100s, and spend half my time or even more doing Garrison stuff :D

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    It's already miles better than the last 2 expansions, so that's a win right there for players.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I love this expansion.  I've said it before even seeing the first raid, Best Expansion Ever! :)

I'm hooked on the Garrison and find almost all my time getting resources for it, and not just the garrison resources.  Another thing is that it is per character.  I have 3 level 100s, and spend half my time or even more doing Garrison stuff :D

This! Garrison is a pretty compelling time sink. I'm loving it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I just want a WoW 2 at this point, that engine is so old and dated it is really limited in the type of gameplay it can deliver. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by tixylix
    I just want a WoW 2 at this point, that engine is so old and dated it is really limited in the type of gameplay it can deliver. 

I hear this a lot, but the reality is that you don't fix something that isn't broken. Comparisons are often drawn to engines like Cryengine, Unreal, etc. but the real question is whether or not these are even suitable for the genre. The driver behind ongoing engine development is need. There is competition, so they require constant updates, they need to evolve their products, in order to remain competitive. WoW has no competition and it continues to be quite healthy.  There may be a market for WoW 2, but it would, ultimately, sacrifice a large portion of their audience, too. The fact is they just should NOT update the engine, at all. There is just no need. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Blizzard pretty much flat out said they weren't ever going to make a WoW 2.  If they make another MMO, it won't be based on the WoW franchise, you can guarantee that.

And the truth is, game engines don't make games fun, games do.  People have been enjoying WoW for 10 years now... the game engine isn't what makes the game.  There are better and newer game engines out there and a whole lot of nothing built on them.  A lot of games rely on the whizbang features of a game engine to hide the fact that there really isn't much of a game to play.  At least with WoW, you know it's not the game engine that gets people to want to play the game... not so much for a lot of other games out there.

WoW can be better, yes, but it doesn't need a game engine overhaul to bring it about.  

• MetricaMetrica Member CommonPosts: 37
    I feel like I'm the only one who isn't taking crazy pills.  
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The engine can be expanded and modified to deliver whatever kind of experience they want to. Garrisons weren't originally a part of the engine, but they added the necessary code and functionality to make them happen. Think of all the things that have been added to the game since it launched. All of that required them to build on to and improve what they started with.

In fact, look at it this way... The engine/tech for WoW is originally derived from Warcraft III. 

They took WCIII's tech and expanded on it to create a much larger game.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Yeah! Wait until the "euphoria" of enjoying the game wears off and then write a review!

He might be on to something. Wait until you're done having fun and then just write about how the games not fun and completely skip writing about the part where you did have fun.

My new review of Super Mario Brothers:

I don't own the game anymore, or a Nintendo, therefore I don't think the game is fun. It might have been fun when I played it, but there's no sense in discussing that in my review.

You sir, are a genius. Or maybe just one of the few normal person left in this world....

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

To me it just seems there is so much more to do this expansion, not just questing, but in new types of content.

I'm addicted to checking on my Garrison and it's update. The Garrison is a game inside of WoW itself, and I consider it the price of the expansion alone. 

A lot of other things have made it a great expansion too. For one, on previous xpacs I would slowly quit questing after I hit level cap, to me there wasn't a need to really go on if I didn't need the experience. The Ops comment about "all systems seem to feed into one another" kind of fits here. Followers! They placed a large number of followers in the quest chains, and if you want them you continue questing. If you have a level 2 barracks you can even use a follower as a "body guard", and they do damage while fighting! It is an ingenious method to string you along and finish the questing, at the same time learning more of the lore and story of Draenor.

Another little feeder is placing a menagerie in your Garrison. I have never really played the battle pets for very long, I'm not sure why, but it didn't seem like my thing (I thought). Placing the menagerie in my garrison has influenced me to start playing the battle pet system. The battle pet mini game is much more fun than I thought it was. Hey, I can watch football and level my pets!

Very good article OP. It's my favorite expansion to date! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KhaunsharKhaunshar Member UncommonPosts: 349

Coming from WildStar and FFXIV, I must admit I just could not get into WoW again. I left after Catacylsm Firelands, and being an avid raider and group-player with a penchant for hardmode games (I love Dark Souls, both of them, for example, and tend to play most games on hard mode), I unfortunately cannot find much to draw me back into WoW.

I think the primary problem is that even the supposedly "hard" stuff is, after raiding in Wildstar and the top-end FFXIV stuff, very tame. Its probably not a matter of the game getting easier, but the players getting better, but WoW has never been about flawless execution in most fights, yet nowadays it seems you can ALWAYS get away with sloppy execution as long as your gear is right, and you dont commit any cardinal sins (reaction time over 1 sec, standing in fire, ignoring proper positioning).

Garrisons are a nice idea, but as with the pet battles, they are more of a social game on facebook or my smartphone. Games which, I freely admit, draw huge numbers of people in, but not something I like to spend my MMO time on.

I did appreciate the idea behind the silver/gold challenge modes, and would have welcomed a more diverse offering of group content, but I suppose group content (as in, single group) is not a priority anymore.

The only real issue I truly take with the game is the, by now, outrageously generous free pass that so many players give it by sheer virtue of putting something in it. Garrisons are not innovative.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Khaunshar

Coming from WildStar and FFXIV, I must admit I just could not get into WoW again. I left after Catacylsm Firelands, and being an avid raider and group-player with a penchant for hardmode games (I love Dark Souls, both of them, for example, and tend to play most games on hard mode), I unfortunately cannot find much to draw me back into WoW.

I think the primary problem is that even the supposedly "hard" stuff is, after raiding in Wildstar and the top-end FFXIV stuff, very tame. Its probably not a matter of the game getting easier, but the players getting better, but WoW has never been about flawless execution in most fights, yet nowadays it seems you can ALWAYS get away with sloppy execution as long as your gear is right, and you dont commit any cardinal sins (reaction time over 1 sec, standing in fire, ignoring proper positioning).

Garrisons are a nice idea, but as with the pet battles, they are more of a social game on facebook or my smartphone. Games which, I freely admit, draw huge numbers of people in, but not something I like to spend my MMO time on.

I did appreciate the idea behind the silver/gold challenge modes, and would have welcomed a more diverse offering of group content, but I suppose group content (as in, single group) is not a priority anymore.

The only real issue I truly take with the game is the, by now, outrageously generous free pass that so many players give it by sheer virtue of putting something in it. Garrisons are not innovative.

You are right, they aren't totally innovative, but they are in their own Warcraft way. You don't have to have innovation for something to be fun, take raids for instance, they are hardly innovative but you are an avid raider. /shrug

mmoRPGs revolve around content. The more you have the more it feels like an actual world, and by providing "facebook" mini-games you are given choices. Not everything in gaming is about killing and looting, and either should be the time you spend in a game. If you don't want part of something you simply don't play it, but if it's not their your choices are gone.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Having a blast in the game again.

One thing that is bothering me about all the changes is the lack of attention Mages received versus the other classes. Each specialization in the Mage tree just feels incomplete (I have not delved into fire as much). I think it is the only class that does not have an across the board self heal now (use to have invocation with a glyph) and so far the damage of my Mage in season 1 PvP gear (which can be used in PvE now) seems unimpressive.

Outside of a few issues the expansion is on the top of the list if not the best one yet! Garrisons are a home run.