Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There Can Only Be One!!!

Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I have never understood the need for the MMO gamer to wish failure upon every game that is not their flavor of choice?  This forum runs rampant with fan boys and haters alike and I have to ask why?

It may be due to the fact that most of what us gamers have received from the gaming companies over the last several years has been less than stellar and if we find something we actually enjoy we want it to succeed so bad that we want every other game to fail forcing people to play what we like.  It may be the inevitability of "failure" that we have become accustomed to where a year after release the game is a baron wasteland. 

I think people need to keep in mind that no one is going to "love" a game just because someone on the forums says it's better than everything else.  People aren't going to stop playing a game they love because someone on the forums says it sucks.  And games are not one size fits all!

Games don't succeed or fail because of the gamers, they fail because the publishers fail to deliver what the masses want and/or content that keeps people coming back. 

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

After the way I was treated by the forum members of Warhammer Alliance, during the Warhammer hype days, made me want to see that game crash and burn.

Thats actually what made me into MMOExposed . I hated MMOs being overhyped ever since because I saw how blind the fanbase were to criticism. The fans dont really see the flaws. And to me, what better time to let the developers know about flaws in the game, than before the game is released?

but nope. the Warhammer Alliance staff and community was just ,,,, I dont even want to go there.

But nothing beats GuildWars2Guru.com when it comes to this. But oh well.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Not saying this is right or wrong, but some players believe that resources spent on MMOs they do not like takes away from developing MMOs they will like. So, in their minds, if they can "kill off" all of the "bad MMOs", then their perfect MMO could be made.

Unfortunately, that is not how it works...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I have no issue with every game not being to my liking, but when most are being made along the same theme park designs year after year, I get a bit cranky.

Fortunately, after a long dark age, we're starting to see some breakthrough in recent releases and future titles promise to deliver even more.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

People want to be reassured.  Want to know that it's ok to like what they like.

But when it goes into MY GAME PWNS YOUR GAME is where discussion is lost. Then it is about making someone feel bad because they might have read a perceived negative comment in a thread that you wrote.  It's why you see all the "User Deleted" in threads.  People create alts to flame you or open threads criticizing your game of choice.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Not saying this is right or wrong, but some players believe that resources spent on MMOs they do not like takes away from developing MMOs they will like. So, in their minds, if they can "kill off" all of the "bad MMOs", then their perfect MMO could be made.

Unfortunately, that is not how it works...

You mean if WoW dies sandbox MMO's won't magically spring forth from every development company as the death of WoW would be "proof" that that's what players want?