Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something to look forward to

eversince i quite everquest i have never felt at home at any other MMORPG. i have tried them all. and not to say there arent some good ones out there, there just isnt the same feel to any of them as everquest. When i saw this game was being made by the same makers of eq i got really excited. i think this will be the game to set RPG style gaming back to where it should be. To every fag that is yacking about eq and eq2 clone, i dont think anyone gives a rip about your attempts to bring this game down. Eq2 sucked, this game will not. i can not wait for a realease date and to see yall in the game. I think this will be what everyone is waitin for!

Sir Frisk

Comments

• JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Hope so mate :P.. i quit EQ aswell.. tried EQ2.. that blew, CoH.. really boring, WoW.. boring aswell. Nothing can beat EverQuest.. though hope this new game.. will frash them all ::::20::

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by ziklag

eversince i quite everquest i have never felt at home at any other MMORPG. i have tried them all. and not to say there arent some good ones out there, there just isnt the same feel to any of them as everquest. When i saw this game was being made by the same makers of eq i got really excited. i think this will be the game to set RPG style gaming back to where it should be. To every fag that is yacking about eq and eq2 clone, i dont think anyone gives a rip about your attempts to bring this game down. Eq2 sucked, this game will not. i can not wait for a realease date and to see yall in the game. I think this will be what everyone is waitin for!
    Sir Frisk

I think you will come to realise one day that it is not the games, that have changed, but you. Everquest was probably your first real MMORPG experience and as such it was something special - diving into this whole new world of gaming and exploring.

With time however this magic fades as we see more and more of a game, understand its concepts, the gameplay and so on. Everquest is still the game it was when you started playing it; still you wont feel that magic anymore when you log on .

The same is true for every other game - in my case DAoC.

We tend to believe that this one game did it all right and all other games are no match for it - but for some mystyrious reason we got bored by it.

This is just a normal "growing up" like process. No other game can bring you back this feeling - because YOU have changed, not the games. And i seriously doubt that any game anytime soon will be able to bring a change to this genre - in the end they are all based on the same basic principles.

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Lasastard

I think you will come to realise one day that it is not the games, that have changed, but you. Everquest was probably your first real MMORPG experience and as such it was something special - diving into this whole new world of gaming and exploring.
    With time however this magic fades as we see more and more of a game, understand its concepts, the gameplay and so on. Everquest is still the game it was when you started playing it; still you wont feel that magic anymore when you log on .
    The same is true for every other game - in my case DAoC.
    We tend to believe that this one game did it all right and all other games are no match for it - but for some mystyrious reason we got bored by it.
    This is just a normal "growing up" like process. No other game can bring you back this feeling - because YOU have changed, not the games. And i seriously doubt that any game anytime soon will be able to bring a change to this genre - in the end they are all based on the same basic principles.

I agree with you in part.

I don't think that I will ever really feel the way I did back in EQ at it's release. Everything was new to me then, and there was wonder around every corner. I had no expectations, and no real hopes. In fact I started playing with a pretty skeptical outlook at how they were going to pull of what they said was their target.

However, I disagree that EQ is the same game that it once was. The core philosophies of it's design team have changed drastically over the years. The expansions have continued to evolve down a path which remove themselves from the original (since Velious at least). And the original content will never be the same considering the effects of the marketplace, and the disparity in the average level of players compaired that that of the content available in the original zones.

And the simple fact of understanding the game intricately is one of those little things that efforts were made to avoid in the original game which are not made in most games now at all. You are supplied with all the pieces of the puzzle, pre-organized and easily accessed. You can simply re-construct the game to it's finest details given minimal effort. This was not the case in original EQ, and as much as it infuriated the players at the time, it left a grey area, and a mystery.

I think I would be hard pressed to be as immersed in any game as much as I was in original EQ. But I don't know that it's a factor of maturing since then. More so, that I have an altered approach, a bit of cyniscm, and a desire to see a company take a leap beyond the portrayal of a world as it's been attempted to now. The approach is not easily cured. The cyniscm, ... I temper with hope I suppose. The world, that task lands firmly in the lap of the designers. And having heard the evolutions being attempted in Vanguard builds my hope enormously. They are moving the virtual world style forward more so than any other game I'm aware of. They are doing that as much as polishing gameplay, which to me is the factor which sets them apart.

I doubt that I'll ever really feel as I did in EQ. But I think that it's quite possible for a company to keep me very entertained and hooked for years to come.

-Feyshtey-

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by ziklag
    i think this will be the game to set RPG style gaming back to where it should be.

Not to pnume your thread, and not to knock Vanguard, I'd like to point out a minor personal experience; I had an occasion to correspond with the EQ Dev team, prior to SoEs buyout. The discussion was RPG in EQ. To some extent, the people I emailed and emailed me are the same people in Sigil. The conclusion they had reached, the point where they would not bend, was RPG.

In the minds of the Verant dev team, RPG was a thing of the players mind and not a part of the game mechanics. Looking at Everquest, this manifested itself with Trolls being able to socialize with High Elves without any in game social cost. Yet, the NPCs of any giving town would be KoS to either race (high elfs wouldn't be welcome in Ogguk, and Trolls wouldn't be welcome in Felwithe).

You could do faction work, to raise your standing with the NPCs and gain this racial trust. This was an ingame mechanical feature. However, your Gods didn't care what you did or who you did it to. This was a player decision.

I've been playing EverQuest since the release of Kunark. I hope, very strongly, that Vanguard will be my next mmorpg. However, I fear that they will either re-create EQ2 or re-create the parts of EverQuest that I enjoy the least.

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I don't understand why people keep banging on with the concept: "EQ was best because it was your first MMORPG".
    It is become fashionable this days to put EQ success down to the fact that it was the first game people played.

I beg to differ.
    My first MMORPG was Ultima Online, which was great but not as good as EQ.
    Also I play RPG since Ultima V, which was 10 years ago, maybe more.
    Since then I played almost every RPG that hit the shelves.
    When I was playing offline RPG, I was always wishing to play with real player in order to push my RPG experience even further.
    When Ultima Online came out I was exstatic and jumped at the chance to play the first "graphic" RPG online, and since I am a fan of the whole series, it was the right progression for my player experience.
    I enjoyed UO pretty much, but when I saw that a new 3D MMORPG was available I decided to give it a go.
    That game was EQ and it completely blown me away.

I quit playing EQ, when SOE starting playing around with the classes, nerfing right and left, and when the game started to be less challenging, in order to appeal to a wider player base.

Since then I played at least 10 major MMORPG, tried other 15 and beta tested 7.
    And when I say "played" I mean it, not like other people that "try" the game for a month and is convinced that they played the game.
    I spent at least 6 months playing each game, so I didn't just scratch the surface, but I got to know them pretty well.

The fact is that although I enjoied them, they had something missing: Challenge, and Community.
    The Challenge made the Community of EQ great, because eliminates all the powergamers, foulmouthed and immature players, that are around nowadays in almost every MMORPG.

I was tempted to re-activate the old EQ account, but I really didn't feel like starting a character from scratch.
    If I had my old characters I would have done it.
    Even after all the SOE nerfing, I believe Everquest is still the more challenging and fun MMORPG out there.

So I welcome the real successor of Everquest................Vanguard.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Everquest was so difficult for new players and locations so unknown back in the day it forced even the most anti-social hard to get along with people to be civil with one another in hopes that they would extract some tiny bit of information that would help them in their travels.

Noob-"hey, how the %&^* do i get to HHK???" -no reply

Noob-"dude how do you get to HHK??" High level person-"...take a boat dude"

Noob-"Scuse me, sorry to bother you, but how would one go about getting to HHK from Rivervale"  High level person-"Oh thats easy just go out the back door past the paladin trainer and take a right once you zone and stay high on the wall so the undeads don't get you. Stay right and youll get to highhold pass."

Thats how a community develops. Because the world is so harsh and unforgiving that people are forced to treat each other with respect to get information and help each other. Some people say community doesn't count for $hit. I believe if the game is too easy, the community suffers because people dont need each other. Therefore, in my saintedly humble opinion, good game and good community are inter-related.

This isn't about the year a game was released, this is about how well a game is thought out and implemented. Surely I do mourn the passing of the years, but a game can still have this effect. That crucial feeling that your needed in that game world where you have a real impact on the game and other players. Bring us hardcore. Bring us Vanguard!

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by anarchyart

Everquest was so difficult for new players and locations so unknown back in the day it forced even the most anti-social hard to get along with people to be civil with one another in hopes that they would extract some tiny bit of information that would help them in their travels.
    Noob-"hey, how the %&^* do i get to HHK???" -no reply
    Noob-"dude how do you get to HHK??" High level person-"...take a boat dude"
    Noob-"Scuse me, sorry to bother you, but how would one go about getting to HHK from Rivervale"  High level person-"Oh thats easy just go out the back door past the paladin trainer and take a right once you zone and stay high on the wall so the undeads don't get you. Stay right and youll get to highhold pass."
    Thats how a community develops. Because the world is so harsh and unforgiving that people are forced to treat each other with respect to get information and help each other. Some people say community doesn't count for $hit. I believe if the game is too easy, the community suffers because people dont need each other. Therefore, in my saintedly humble opinion, good game and good community are inter-related.
    This isn't about the year a game was released, this is about how well a game is thought out and implemented. Surely I do mourn the passing of the years, but a game can still have this effect. That crucial feeling that your needed in that game world where you have a real impact on the game and other players. Bring us hardcore. Bring us Vanguard!

You make some good points regarding the community of a game that has challenge. I'll admit to calling myself a noob in regards to the MMO scene (WoW being my first one), so I don't really know how civil everyone was to one another in EQ1. However, while WoW is a decent game, it's community isn't for s**t, and is the number one reason I'm not playing it right now.

A more mature game I would definitely dig. Vanguard has my interest for that reason.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Anarchyart explained perfectly what I meant by "Challenge equal Good Community".
    In other words if you were an arse you were treated like an arse, and when you needed help you didn't get any.
    Also in order to be part of a guild you had to behave yourself, and if you got kicked out, you would not be able to achieve anything in the game.

Also a thought about how the community change the nature of the game and the nature of the players too:

Originally posted by Feyshtey

In WoW... who cares. You can max out, and get a decently equipped character without ever talking to a soul. And even if you do group with anyone, it's for a fleeting few minutes till a quest is done. You rarely remember anyone's name, let alone build ties to them.

When I started playing WoW I was way too keen in being fair and polite when grouping.......silly me.
    After one week, I started leaving groups in the middle of a quest, and telling people to fuck off.
    In short I started to behave like a complete arse.
    Never happened in my player career to behave in such an appalling way.
    And believe me I did try hard to keep the cool, but it just wasn't worth it.............

I hope Vanguard will bring back challenges and good communities, because I am sick of bickering with 12 y/o brats that wants to lead a raid..............and go to bed in the middle of it.............