Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Review in Progress #1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There's nothing that kills procrastination on writing an article more than the fact that the game you're supposed to be writing about is, well let's just say "non-functioning". Yes, I'm talking about the latest World of Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor and, yes, it's been one of those days.

Read more of Suzie Ford's World of Warcraft - Warlords of Draenor Review in Progress #1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Current "expected" issues aside. I am having a total blast! Definitely the best WoW expansion so far!

It exceeded my expectations. After all these years, I am actually having fun playing WoW again.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Current "expected" issues aside. I am having a total blast! Definitely the best WoW expansion so far!

It exceeded my expectations. After all these years, I am actually having fun playing WoW again.

I agree completely!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I agree completely!

Another "agree" here.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Despite spending more time in queue than actually playing the game, the expansion itself is pretty epic. Not gonna lie. BC 2.0? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I've only had about 4 hours of play time since launch, but really enjoying it. The story and atmosphere are very well put together so far. Just started Garrison, and it seems to be a very interesting side game, which I will probably spend a ton of time with.

Why did this and DA:I have to launch so close to each other.......!?!?

• SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29

I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this expansion. It's the most fun I've ever had playing WoW and I've played from Vanilla through Mists of Pandaria only skipping Cataclysm. I've come and gone from the game and my opinion of the game has changed many times from hating WoW and blaming it for ruining the genre to liking it even though I thought it was far from perfect. Now, well, with this expansion... I'm loving it! I'm so impressed with what Blizzard has done. I think every element of the game has been improved on.

Everybody in my guild who was on last night was sharing the same feeling as me. I had one huge worry about garrisons not being that fun and in the end just being a community breaker but I see them differently now. I think they are crazy fun and I realize that going to Stormwind and trying to see the auctioneers and merchants through people on their huge mounts was not really community. Did I talk to people in Stormwind? No... I would chat in general and trade. Really the chat window was the 'community' all along and that is still there in garrisons. For me, at least, it's had zero impact. Garrisons is one of my favorite features of the expansion and prior to playing I thought very little of the feature.

Thank-you Blizzard! Keep impressing me! I know I'm hard to please but you CAN do it. You've just proven it.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    I totally agree with you Seiroth. Me and WoW have a Love Hate Love relationship until now. Warlords has brought me completely over to the WoW fan boy side. This is a phenomenal expansion! 
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I was able to get in no problem in the morning and it was great. Then the population exploded and things went downhill, but I have never seen a game launch that did not have issues or need fixing soon after because things were broken.

I will say so far, I would place this at number 2 for the expansions, First for me was Wrath, but then that could be just a sentimental thing too.

So far I am very happy with the game and everything it in ... I even have a screenshot of the "Holding Pattern" of people trying to land at a garrison... I am sure in a week or 2 that will be quite a funny thing ... just like falling through the world .. when WOW launched in 2004

The memories

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Despite spending more time in queue than actually playing the game, the expansion itself is pretty epic. Not gonna lie. BC 2.0? 

I'd go even further. In Draenor it almost feels like WOW 2.0. It's THAT much better than the 1-90 game... the level 90 boost (which I'll use once I figure out what class and professions I want to boost) is making a lot more sense now: I just want to play in Draenor.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Iselin

I'd go even further. In Draenor it almost feels like WOW 2.0. It's THAT much better than the 1-90 game... the level 90 boost (which I'll use once I figure out what class and professions I want to boost) is making a lot more sense now: I just want to play in Draenor.

Can you give some details on why you feel this way? I'm curious, and NO I'm not buying, but curious non the less ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Another renewed fan here. Having SO much fun with this Expac.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I'll agree that WoD is shaping up to be one of the better expansions. Will it dethrone BC or WotLK? That is to be determined, but it's really well done and I like a great many things about it with very little to complain about. We'll see how I, and others feel about it in 6 months -1 year after the shinyness has worn off.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I'll agree that WoD is shaping up to be one of the better expansions. Will it dethrone BC or WotLK? That is to be determined, but it's really well done and I like a great many things about it with very little to complain about. We'll see how I, and others feel about it in 6 months -1 year after the shinyness has worn off.

I agree... I think we can mentally say the game history is now:

Classic > TBC > WotLK > WoD

We can just forget that Cata and MoP ever happened.  Those that left during that time period or because of it, will likely find that WoD was the expansion they should have released after WotLK.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by bcbully

Can you give some details on why you feel this way? I'm curious, and NO I'm not buying, but curious non the less ;)

I'll give you my take, since I feel much the same way. First, Draenor is a very savage feeling land so far. The ambiance of the zones, along with music, and more rugged looks than many previous expansions (WotLK is another xpack I'd consider more rugged) give way to a darker feel for the game. 

Gameplay options feel so much better. Rare creatures aren't necessarily "rare" anymore, but are one time bonus kills that are available that offer better than average loot along with garrison resources. Due the this newer system for the silver dragon mobs, Blizzard has tucked them away all over the place. You'll often find them in tucked away areas on the fringe of normal questing zones. It gives way to some exploration.

Also, there are these random challenges that are tucked away in the zones. They aren't marked on the large map, but will show up on your radar if you get into zone. You'll see crossed swords and it's basically a little bonus event that you do. I helped a grizzled frostwolf veteran and was rewarded with a neat trinket and a note that has some flavor text for the event. I also ran across a "treasure trove" where I killed a bunch of mobs and then broke down this ice block and received another neat trinket (they often given interesting procs like summon a "guardian" for x seconds). There's a reason to explore and now I can completely see why Blizzard isn't allowing flying anytime in the near future. Flying would cheapen the exploration finds of these areas.

Finally, Garrisons. HOLY CRAP I LOVE MY GARRISON!! It's actually waaaay more addicting than I thought it would be. Sure, it's not exactly SimCity WoW style. However, the follower mission system is super neat. Followers have special abilities that will counter abilities of the mobs they will face in their mission. Using the right follower will insure 100% success. However, multiple missions are available at a given time and so far I don't always have 100% guaranteed success. I've ranged from 55-100% for success rates. Through mixing and matching of my followers, I've been able to net at least a 73% success rate each time. There are also rare missions that use multiple followers that you'll need to use the right combination to counter everything they will face. Rewards have ranged from bonus xps for followers, to gear, to garrison resources, to bonus training for followers, and that's only the few hours I've delved into my Garrison. I've barely scratched the surface. Additionally, being able to mix and match the different structures and having to make decisions based upon what you need vs. what you want and limited space makes for hard choices. My rogue is an alchemist, so I chose the alchemy lab for access to better flasks and additional daily cooldown, but I also chose the enchanter's hut to disenchant my old gear. However, I really wanted the tannery to make the little tents that grant 1 hour xp boosts, but I don't have room for it.

Ok, finally for real this time. My rogue is decked out in Heroic and Heroic Warforged gear, plus an heirloom dagger. He's pretty B.A. and while most mobs completely melt before him, there's been a few that have given me a hard time. I imagine things are going to be fairly challenging for non-raid geared alts and new characters when they finally hit Draenor.

The only negative thing I will say thus far is that I feel Blizzard has opened pandora's box with the Garrison system. I can't imagine playing another expansion without my Garrison or an extremely similar system. I might feel differently after dealing with my Garrison for a year or so, but for now it's a great system that I want with me from here on out.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Chalk me up as another returning player. TBC was the last time I seriously played WoW, and I'm loving the garrisons, the exploration-based questing, the "rare monsters", Archeology (I know, not new, but it is to me), and the fact that I can level crafting from 1 in Draenor. Lots of little touches to the entire open world experience that make the game feel brand new.

It's still a theme park, but it certainly cements WoW's place as the best of its kind.  We'll see how long the luster lasts.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kaneth

I'll give you my take, since I feel much the same way. First, Draenor is a very savage feeling land so far. The ambiance of the zones, along with music, and more rugged looks than many previous expansions (WotLK is another xpack I'd consider more rugged) give way to a darker feel for the game. 

Gameplay options feel so much better. Rare creatures aren't necessarily "rare" anymore, but are one time bonus kills that are available that offer better than average loot along with garrison resources. Due the this newer system for the silver dragon mobs, Blizzard has tucked them away all over the place. You'll often find them in tucked away areas on the fringe of normal questing zones. It gives way to some exploration.

Also, there are these random challenges that are tucked away in the zones. They aren't marked on the large map, but will show up on your radar if you get into zone. You'll see crossed swords and it's basically a little bonus event that you do. I helped a grizzled frostwolf veteran and was rewarded with a neat trinket and a note that has some flavor text for the event. I also ran across a "treasure trove" where I killed a bunch of mobs and then broke down this ice block and received another neat trinket (they often given interesting procs like summon a "guardian" for x seconds). There's a reason to explore and now I can completely see why Blizzard isn't allowing flying anytime in the near future. Flying would cheapen the exploration finds of these areas.

Finally, Garrisons. HOLY CRAP I LOVE MY GARRISON!! It's actually waaaay more addicting than I thought it would be. Sure, it's not exactly SimCity WoW style. However, the follower mission system is super neat. Followers have special abilities that will counter abilities of the mobs they will face in their mission. Using the right follower will insure 100% success. However, multiple missions are available at a given time and so far I don't always have 100% guaranteed success. I've ranged from 55-100% for success rates. Through mixing and matching of my followers, I've been able to net at least a 73% success rate each time. There are also rare missions that use multiple followers that you'll need to use the right combination to counter everything they will face. Rewards have ranged from bonus xps for followers, to gear, to garrison resources, to bonus training for followers, and that's only the few hours I've delved into my Garrison. I've barely scratched the surface. Additionally, being able to mix and match the different structures and having to make decisions based upon what you need vs. what you want and limited space makes for hard choices. My rogue is an alchemist, so I chose the alchemy lab for access to better flasks and additional daily cooldown, but I also chose the enchanter's hut to disenchant my old gear. However, I really wanted the tannery to make the little tents that grant 1 hour xp boosts, but I don't have room for it.

Ok, finally for real this time. My rogue is decked out in Heroic and Heroic Warforged gear, plus an heirloom dagger. He's pretty B.A. and while most mobs completely melt before him, there's been a few that have given me a hard time. I imagine things are going to be fairly challenging for non-raid geared alts and new characters when they finally hit Draenor.

The only negative thing I will say thus far is that I feel Blizzard has opened pandora's box with the Garrison system. I can't imagine playing another expansion without my Garrison or an extremely similar system. I might feel differently after dealing with my Garrison for a year or so, but for now it's a great system that I want with me from here on out.

Cool, new systems. Cata(when I left) had almost nothing new but quest dungeons and raids. I felt the same when I was suckered into Pandaria during what was a mmorpg drought for me. I lasted 3 weeks... I'm watching a video on garrisons gameplay now.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

What Kaneth said up above :)

And I'll add just this quick summary. To me the 1-90 WOW experience feels very much like "just the same old WOW" with a few new twists and bells and whistles. Draenor feels like what WOW would be like if it had been designed for a 2014 release. Story lines, cinematics, voice acting, the new dungeon loot system where everyone gets their own individual RNG chance to get loot form a boss specific to his/her class instead of the "need/greed/pass" that the rest of the game has, a unique "housing" system with a purpose other than catering to interior decorators...

It feels very fresh in Draenor.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Unfortunately I have been unable to play at all because of the technical issues.

But having played an early beta version I could say that in many ways it is the most promising expansion for the game since the TBC/WotLK era.

Hopefully in time we can forget panda land ever existed. (Edit: Don't get me wrong I think panda land had some good elements but the Asian panda theme just dominated too much.)

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

best lauch ever! been falling out garrison 2 day now... 2 day!

Hope they turn off servers for few day and fix proplems. get tired sit front pc and look my char falling out world.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Chalk me up as another returning player. TBC was the last time I seriously played WoW, and I'm loving the garrisons, the exploration-based questing, the "rare monsters", Archeology (I know, not new, but it is to me), and the fact that I can level crafting from 1 in Draenor. Lots of little touches to the entire open world experience that make the game feel brand new.

It's still a theme park, but it certainly cements WoW's place as the best of its kind.  We'll see how long the luster lasts.

I'm leveling up a priest to 60 before I boost him only to get the crafting boost. 

Now I'm wondering if this is necessary?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Glad you all like it...talk to you guys in two months

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Sucks time exists...I have so many alts and not enough time to level them all and give them all a nicely built up Garrison.  It's still early though so its hard to tell how it will affect later gameplay, but for the moment its a blast.

Like snoocky brings up, this could all be a different story in two months with the endgame, but as I mentioned, the garrisons are a nice diversion.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

hmmm, bending here!

ive said Wildstar would be my last mmo ill ever be playin...i love WS, but...

would the WOD expansion be considered a new mmo???-hmmmm

my dranei is calling.

Originally posted by snoocky

Lol... even if what you're implying about how long the enjoyment will last is true, what you're saying is about the same as saying: "Sure, you're enjoying your 2-month vacation in Hawaii now, but how will you feel when you get back?"

I'll take 2 months of MMO game play enjoyment wherever I can get it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by snoocky

2 months for $50, I'll take it. Better than $60 for a 10 hour console game in my opinion. Plus, being I am one of the dirty casuals these days, I will probably get far more than 2 months, especially since it needs to share time with DA:I.