Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamewatch YoshiP Interview

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Regarding Samurai
They had an idea to make Samurai a tank. However because the Heavensward (I think they call it Souten no Ishigard in Jp) theme is dark, they felt a dark knight was more fitting for the role.
Inside of YoshiP the Samurai feels more like a DPS than a tank.
Since they released the Ninja job,they didn't want another Japanese style job
They decided to skip Samurai for now but since a lot of people request it they are still examining whether to add it in the future

Implementation of Dark Knight
Strong image of FF Tactics and Ogre Battle
Image of the two handed swordsman Guts similar to that from the manga Berserk.
Thought about making it a DPS but ultimately settled on tank
Can't talk about why DK has no class
Will be available to chose at the start of the expansion

Regarding unannounced job
Making the new job too simple is not going to be interesting. (Thank you AkirraKrylon)
If you look at FF series of the past carefully you can imagine what it will be
I will talk about it at the TokyoFanfest

Other Stuff
Heavensward trailer has some 2.5 contents so some of them will be implemented before the expansion pack
It will be a connection to the current story like the current story did to 1.0
Will talk a lot about patch 2.5 at Tokyo Fanfest
Odin battle will be added right after the fanfest is over.
The Odin battle at fanfest will be "hard mode" while an extreme mode will be implemented for the game.

Regarding Flying Mounts
You will be able to fly over the entire map of the new area
However in 3.0 you will NOT be able to fly over the current game maps.
There will however not be a limitation if you use the airship
Rewards will be given so that you can fly over the whole area right away
When you reach the level cap (new one?) it will be very rewarding
There will be adjustments made to mount variety. The basics are done but they are tweaking the gimicks and types.
There will be no air battles other than for story/cutscenes etc
You will not be able to fight field mobs in the air etc.
Adventurers will be able to go to the Dragon World (dragoon world? lol)
They keep their policy from 1.0 that you can go to places that have been "named" (aka you can't fly to a random unknown area?)

Regarding the New Primals
Since we've mostly used up all the old classic FF primals we figured we'd do something new
Since Bismarck is a beast type, we decided Ravanna to have a cool insect type design
The battle is meant to include the new job which means the base level will be 60

So is the 3.0 map not zoned and seamless?

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Hmm.  Somewhat disappointing if they don't have Samurai for the next expansion.  It's a class that Yoshi-P has consistently mentioned when speaking on future classes.  It's kind've set the expectation that it would be seen when new classes were introduced, especially when he kept on acknowledging that people asked for "jobs like Samurai" in many interviews.

Then again it's really the only class I was looking forward to and was feeling encouraged that it was mentioned so often.  Therefore any negative feelings towards that are likely bias.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

One should be very skeptical about the zones being seamless. Don't fall into that hype trap because that would be a stark difference in design to what was in 2.0, without any change in the status quo (the PS3 version is still here).

What is far more likely is that the zones, while not seamless, will be significantly larger in scope to that of the 2.0 areas. It's not hard to do that even with the PS3 version; you just add "empty" space to fill the zones with. Most MMO's already do this to make the areas seem "large". There's practically as many landmarks (textures, interesting locales) than what the FFXIV 2.0 areas are sporting, but they are simply distributed in a wider area. SE probably didn't go that route at the beginning because they felt that large areas are not interesting if there is not any more to actually see, and all you end up doing is make the travel times longer.

Of course they have by now understood the validity of the complaints regarding the 2.0 areas, so now we will have the filler to increase the scope of the 3.0 world. In that way "sky" is a good option - just increase the distance between landmarks such as islands and you've got yourself a bigger world.

TL;DR: Zones are not going anywhere, but their size will increase because it has nothing to do with the PS3 version - it is a design choice, not a technical limitation.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    They didnt want to add another Japanese style job. Because theres not enough European style jobs? (Paladin, Dragoon, Bard, White Mage, Black Mage, Dark Knight)  vs  (Monk, Ninja)
  • ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    They didnt want to add another Japanese style job. Because theres not enough European style jobs? (Paladin, Dragoon, Bard, White Mage, Black Mage, Dark Knight)  vs  (Monk, Ninja)

I wonder if Yoshi was pointing to real "jobs" opposed to fictional "jobs". Also, the setting of FFXIV isn't in a fantasy Japan. 

When the rogue/Ninja came out, did all servers experience an increase in wait time in the Duty finder? I think a tank class or a healing class would balance things out in that regard.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

He is speaking specifically of new jobs. Because we just got an asian style new job, he doesn't want to add another asian style new job before adding other style jobs.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    no airship battles dang they missed out big time on that.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Hoping next one is a healer class as I only play those but not one that uses the same clothes as the white mage and scholar. I am saving sand and oil for this from Syrcus Tower.
    Chamber of Chains