Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been attempting to play for almost a week now with no luck (Full servers) any tips?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Hello!

I've been attempting to make a character for almost a week now on the "balmung" server, as it is the RP server.

And I've had no luck. At all. I've tried making a character every five hours for a few days now and even during the very early hours (Uk time) before college with no luck.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

Has anyone got any tips? it is starting to get very irritating

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

its one of if not the most crowded server, but you still might have a chance to try during night time 1-2 am.

regards,

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Why did the RP'ers pick such a bad server to flock to? Balmung is a legacy server; it's a horrible server for newcomers in all respects.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Why did the RP'ers pick such a bad server to flock to? Balmung is a legacy server; it's a horrible server for newcomers in all respects.

Probably many of them were already on that server before 2.0.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I freaking hate the RP'ers.

I was on Besaid, I was on it in 1.0, we never had a huge RP population. Not ever. I played for months without seeing ANY .

Then, 2.0 rolls around, I join up to play. I walk into town and see crap like this.

"xxx looks over at the bartender, noticing her shapely curves, he grins and beckons her over " A drink dear, if you please. Tea." "He watches her walk away and shakes his head, returning to the conversation to the two at the table"

I'm just like "Wat..."

I thought this was a right group of weirdos, so I walked on to the next town, to find yet more people doing this. Everywhere. Even some public E-RP.  Then people are all going "Well dude, it's the Unofficial RP Server"

And I'm like "WHY?!" and they said "It was in 1.0..." and I'm like "BULLCRAP IT WAS! I was on it in 1.0 and there was none of this crap going on."

It's disgusting. Not RP itself, maybe a case can be made for that, but public RP in a game like this is wrong. I pay good money for my subscription, why am I subjected to these kinds of offensive text? Luckily, you can actually report people for this stuff and have successfully, at least according to a GM had legitimate complaints and the users in question were warned about their behavior.

It costs like 25$ to switch servers, and my friends from 1.0 are on it as well. Yet the RPers tell me to go to another server. Screw them. I was in the Alpha for 1.0, the Beta, release, and the Alpha for 2.0, Beta, ect. I have been active in XIV in all phases of playable development, and at no point did someone mention that Balmung was going to be the Official RP server.

It is contaminated and I find myself shivering with disgust often, luckily I found a guild that doesn't do any kind of stuff like that and I turned public chat off as I can't go anywhere without seeing people making creepy text @ NPCs.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Really?

I don't RP myself but I always play on an RP server. The RP players do bring a level of immersion not found on other servers.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I was on Besaid, I was on it in 1.0, we never had a huge RP population. Not ever. I played for months without seeing ANY .

Then, 2.0 rolls around, I join up to play. I walk into town and see crap like this.

"xxx looks over at the bartender, noticing her shapely curves, he grins and beckons her over " A drink dear, if you please. Tea." "He watches her walk away and shakes his head, returning to the conversation to the two at the table"

I'm just like "Wat..."

I thought this was a right group of weirdos, so I walked on to the next town, to find yet more people doing this. Everywhere. Even some public E-RP.  Then people are all going "Well dude, it's the Unofficial RP Server"

And I'm like "WHY?!" and they said "It was in 1.0..." and I'm like "BULLCRAP IT WAS! I was on it in 1.0 and there was none of this crap going on."

It's disgusting. Not RP itself, maybe a case can be made for that, but public RP in a game like this is wrong. I pay good money for my subscription, why am I subjected to these kinds of offensive text? Luckily, you can actually report people for this stuff and have successfully, at least according to a GM had legitimate complaints and the users in question were warned about their behavior.

It costs like 25$ to switch servers, and my friends from 1.0 are on it as well. Yet the RPers tell me to go to another server. Screw them. I was in the Alpha for 1.0, the Beta, release, and the Alpha for 2.0, Beta, ect. I have been active in XIV in all phases of playable development, and at no point did someone mention that Balmung was going to be the Official RP server.

It is contaminated and I find myself shivering with disgust often, luckily I found a guild that doesn't do any kind of stuff like that and I turned public chat off as I can't go anywhere without seeing people making creepy text @ NPCs.

"Shivering with disgust"? Really? Wow...

Someone definitely has a problem here, and it's not the RP'ers. 

Seriously, they're having fun in a game the'yre paying to play, just as you are. They're not harming you. Maybe you need to learn to ignore them, let it be, and do what you enjoy? If you can't, then that's a problem you have to deal with. 

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    It IS harming me, watching some guy flirt with a NPC is so creepy I feel myself dirty for playing the same game as them. It's not something to do in public.  Or at all, but especially in public.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• DashegenDashegen Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I pay good money for my subscription, why am I subjected to these kinds of offensive text? 

- Thats why. In addition to that, the rating includes "Sexual Themes." Last I checked, flirting is probably one of the mildest forms of sexual themes out there.

Furthermore, you pay good money for your subscription, good for you... So does everyone else playing the game. Just like roleplayers can't tell you what server(s) you can and cannot play on, you can't tell roleplayers where, when, and how to RP, nor should you tell them how they should play the game at all. They pay just as much money as you to play this game, let them decide how they want to play it.

The only form of RP I personally find should really remain private is ERP. Aside from that, you have no reason to complain about how others, who are not you, decide to play.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I think Gilgamesh is also an unofficial RP server. You could try there.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

It's disgusting. Not RP itself, maybe a case can be made for that, but public RP in a game like this is wrong. 

I'm "kind of" going to agree with you.

My thought is that there should be a strict role play channel. All roleplay goes on there. Anywhere else? you get warned and moved to the RP channel.

Now, having said that, I've seen some great roleplayers in LOTRO. really fit with the world and lore. But not everyone is going to agree on what type of role play is "good".

A role play channel would suffice.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by naami

^ This, but its full as well... Which sucks because I'm going to be trying to return to FFXIV, and thats the server I made my characters on... And I kinda-sorta want to try the Rogue. :<

Edit:

Originally posted by Sovrath

It's disgusting. Not RP itself, maybe a case can be made for that, but public RP in a game like this is wrong. 

My thought is that there should be a strict role play channel. All roleplay goes on there. Anywhere else? you get warned and moved to the RP channel.

Now, having said that, I've seen some great roleplayers in LOTRO. really fit with the world and lore. But not everyone is going to agree on what type of role play is "good".

The biggest issue with a central "Roleplay Channel" is that, depending on what you mean, all of the RP in the entirety of that server for public RP would be in that channel... Which means completely unrelated RP scenarios would always be intruding on one-another. Furthermore, the "say" channel is sort of already the RP channel, so adding a dedicated "RP Channel" would be incredibly redundant.

Honestly, if you have such issues with RP, just turn off /say and /emote in your chat settings. Problem immediately solved.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I feel exactly the opposite. Off topic, OOC chatter is what should be confined to its own channel. There seems to be more and more people playing MMOs these days who are self-conscious about their hobby and they try to "deal with it" by being deliberately OOC talking about anything else.

Even bad or borderline creepy RP is preferable to me than a prolonged discussion about Tim Tebow. At least the bad RPers are trying to immerse and help everyone else do so.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The idea of a RP server full of people actually role playing makes this the first time I've ever even considered playing this MMO, I can understand why it is so popular.

Makes me long for the days when I was in Shadow Clan, heck we had our own language.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Velitans
    Originally posted by naami

^ This, but its full as well... Which sucks because I'm going to be trying to return to FFXIV, and thats the server I made my characters on... And I kinda-sorta want to try the Rogue. :<

Edit:

The biggest issue with a central "Roleplay Channel" is that, depending on what you mean, all of the RP in the entirety of that server for public RP would be in that channel... Which means completely unrelated RP scenarios would always be intruding on one-another. Furthermore, the "say" channel is sort of already the RP channel, so adding a dedicated "RP Channel" would be incredibly redundant.

Honestly, if you have such issues with RP, just turn off /say and /emote in your chat settings. Problem immediately solved.

That doesn't make any sense.

If the "say" channel is the RP channel then ALL the roleplay for the server is already in one place. So why are you saying it's an issue when clearly it's not an issue? So what's the big deal about having a dedicated roleplay channel if there is an unnoficial one already?

So instead of having unoffical then just have an official channel.

To that end, I'm fairly certain that role play servers have an OOC channel which implies that everything in the main channel is "role play". Once again, putting all the role play in one place and separating out the "non role play".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Iselin

I feel exactly the opposite. Off topic, OOC chatter is what should be confined to its own channel. There seems to be more and more people playing MMOs these days who are self-conscious about their hobby and they try to "deal with it" by being deliberately OOC talking about anything else.

Even bad or borderline creepy RP is preferable to me than a prolonged discussion about Tim Tebow. At least the bad RPers are trying to immerse and help everyone else do so.

That's not the point.

And for the record (because some in this bunch automatically assume that if one offers an argument for or against something then that automatically assumes it's their own stance) I have no problem with role players.

So if the indicated OOC chatter is confined to "ooc chatter" then that also solves the any issues. The POINT was to separate out role playing with non-role playing. What you are saying is already doing that.

All your doing is splitting hairs.

Perhaps what is needed is moderation to make sure that OOC chat is actually OOC chat and the RP chat is always RP chat and again, as one suggested, just allow channels to be turned on or off.

Originally posted by Velitans

That doesn't make any sense.

If the "say" channel is the RP channel then ALL the roleplay for the server is already in one place. So why are you saying it's an issue when clearly it's not an issue? So what's the big deal about having a dedicated roleplay channel if there is an unnoficial one already?

So instead of having unoffical then just have an official channel.

To that end, I'm fairly certain that role play servers have an OOC channel which implies that everything in the main channel is "role play". Once again, putting all the role play in one place and separating out the "non role play". 

Think of it like this. To "RP" is to act out the dialogue and actions of one's character. If you literally just slap all RP throughout the world into a singular channel that can be heard from wherever you are in the world, people RPing in, say, Limsa Lominsa would hear people RPing from way over in Gridania. I'm sure you can see how that would not only be redundant for RP, since /say is already there as well as /emote or /me, but actually hurt it in the process while breaking immersion, which is one of the major requirements for RP.

Global OOC channels are another story since those are just what they are, out of character. In-character RP channels, though, honestly only work as "comm" channels for guilds, if that makes any sense.

Any case, all this conversation is bringing the topic off of its original purpose, which was to help out the OP trying to make a character on a specific server. It might be best to go back onto the topic the OP set.

Edit: Also, be warned that I may have completely missed what you meant with your suggestion about "RP channels" because I honestly don't post much on forums (usually just lurk and look at the news), so forgive me if I misunderstood your point.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

A single channel doesn't have to be global. It can be private, local, regional, or global. If the RP channel were local, like a 'say' channel, then it would solve the problem like Sovrath said. The OOC or crap channel should be the same way, but I think they're better as globals, or regionals at the very least. That is what I got from his suggestion.

The OP should consider finding another server with an RP group.

The only server RPers are on aside from Balmung, as someone else mentioned, is Gilgamesh (Non-legacy), which also tends to be generally full. The best advice I could give is for the OP to go to the "Regarding Character Creation Restrictions"  news post on the main FFXIV site and check it for when there's space on either servers. It updates every few hours, with the next update in an hour. The server more likely to gain space for new characters out of the two RPers are on is Gilgamesh I believe. Aside from that, not many tips can be given as far as I'm aware.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    It IS harming me, watching some guy flirt with a NPC is so creepy I feel myself dirty for playing the same game as them. It's not something to do in public.  Or at all, but especially in public.

It's only a game bro.  There is much worse to see in real life.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

That's not the point.

And for the record (because some in this bunch automatically assume that if one offers an argument for or against something then that automatically assumes it's their own stance) I have no problem with role players.

So if the indicated OOC chatter is confined to "ooc chatter" then that also solves the any issues. The POINT was to separate out role playing with non-role playing. What you are saying is already doing that.

Perhaps what is needed is moderation to make sure that OOC chat is actually OOC chat and the RP chat is always RP chat and again, as one suggested, just allow channels to be turned on or off.

May be a small distinction and splitting hairs to you but immersion is a very important part of RPGs. And having the default channel that everyone has without having to make any special effort to join a separate one, be a channel that helps immersion is much better than the reverse, even if they accomplish similar things - they don't, but whatever.

There are always 2 or 3 threads on the front page at The Pub here proposing some convoluted scheme or another to make MMOs more realistic or about fostering better communities. And yet, here you are talking about one the simplest, most basic things that anyone can do to make the game more immersive and enjoyable and you want to segregate it in a special interest channel... just because some random new age prude with obvious anti-RP issues says he's "disgusted" by someone trying to RP the exact same situation you would notice within 5 minutes of walking into any bar anywhere.

I have to say, knowing your generally even headed posting history, I'm surprised you "kind of" agree with such a fringe anti-RP opinion about a bloody RPG.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Mrputts walks over to  Mkilbride, and hands him a tube of ointment that reads 'Another Server'

"My friend I know the butt hurt is painful. This ointment should help you."

With a smile Mrputts walks off.

Edit: Also OP just keep trying. Early in the morning seems to work for some. Like 2-3am early.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I don't think bad RP adds to immersion. Some of that is just painful to read, "Dark and stormy night" painful. Then there are the eRPers and horny flirters.

I can generally deal with the bad RP and do prefer RP servers for what the good RP players and events add. Those people do add a lot to the living world feel of a game.

That said, I don't get people like the guy that posted the RP-phobic stuff. It's not hard to ignore it like any other conversation you would in OOC. Even the bad RP isn't worse than some of the crap that passes for conversation in OOC/Global channels in any game.

Yeah most of the time it's easier to watch the horny flirting than dealing with the regular map chat. Especially cause you can easily tell that the "woman of low morals" which the guy is flirting with, is most likely a guy too. That brings some mischievious glee to anyone watching the chat.

I'm signed up on the Venus Rising forum - that mmo with erotic traits to it and about half of the signed up users on the forum are registered as 18 year old girls. Go figure..

Harbinger of Fools
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I don't think bad RP adds to immersion. Some of that is just painful to read, "Dark and stormy night" painful. Then there are the eRPers and horny flirters.

I can generally deal with the bad RP and do prefer RP servers for what the good RP players and events add. Those people do add a lot to the living world feel of a game.

That said, I don't get people like the guy that posted the RP-phobic stuff. It's not hard to ignore it like any other conversation you would in OOC. Even the bad RP isn't worse than some of the crap that passes for conversation in OOC/Global channels in any game.

I'm signed up on the Venus Rising forum - that mmo with erotic traits to it and about half of the signed up users on the forum are registered as 18 year old girls. Go figure..

Well I am totally surprised and shocked.  ;)

A single channel doesn't have to be global. It can be private, local, regional, or global. If the RP channel were local, like a 'say' channel, then it would solve the problem like Sovrath said. The OOC or crap channel should be the same way, but I think they're better as globals, or regionals at the very least. That is what I got from his suggestion.

Thank you Torvaldr.

That's not the point.

May be a small distinction and splitting hairs to you but immersion is a very important part of RPGs. And having the default channel that everyone has without having to make any special effort to join a separate one, be a channel that helps immersion is much better than the reverse, even if they accomplish similar things - they don't, but whatever.

There are always 2 or 3 threads on the front page at The Pub here proposing some convoluted scheme or another to make MMOs more realistic or about fostering better communities. And yet, here you are talking about one the simplest, most basic things that anyone can do to make the game more immersive and enjoyable and you want to segregate it in a special interest channel... just because some random new age prude with obvious anti-RP issues says he's "disgusted" by someone trying to RP the exact same situation you would notice within 5 minutes of walking into any bar anywhere.

I have to say, knowing your generally even headed posting history, I'm surprised you "kind of" agree with such a fringe anti-RP opinion about a bloody RPG.

I don't see it as anti RP at all. If anything, I feel that there is a knee jerk reaction to what basically entails giving the actors their stage.

No one likes Immersion more than I do. Heck, I will walk in Skyrim, a single player game, if it makes sense to do so (and have traversed the entire map walking on three separate occasions.

I think the real problem, and misunderstanding, is one of implementation.

I also think, and I hate to say this but I feel this is implied, that there is a bit of a persecution complex going on here when nothing has been said to persecute!

In my days of lineage 2 there were tabs above the chat channel. You would click on a tab and bam, you are in clan chat. Click on another and it's trade, another and it's local say, etc.

These are already there.

So what is the big deal about clicking on OOC for every day talk, and RP for the world stage? I would think, as an actual actor myself, that having a venue where I can ply my craft would be a blessing.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    its all in the good spirit of fun!!!!! hell i remember in 97 when internet was just booming and chat rooms was the hot thing...plenty of role playing there...i guess i grew up on that sort of thing but anyways let them be....I mean hell i guess its better than getting spammed with whispers from Gold sellers