Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch: ie PC gaming is dead.

124»

Comments

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Holy Necro...
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Holy Necro...
    Huh?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    PC gaming have always been about copying others, 99% of all PC games ever have been clones of something else and Blizzard have been masters of taking others ideas and add some polish and good programming to it since after they first released the first Diablo. That are good at it for that matter.

While I doubt this will be a legendary game people will remember 10 or 20 years from now it is hardly a sign that PC gaming is dying either. There have hardly been that many games like that ever, made a few each year.

I do admit that since the market is more or less controlled by a few giants today there are fewer original games now then 20 years ago but we still get a Minecraft or other unique game now and then.

What have happened is that the people who got into casual PC gaming in the early 00s have moved on to mobile platforms but the core PC gamers have been around for far longer and will stay and that might not be such a bad thing for us gamers (and I think everyone bothering logging on this site is a gamer), PC games will become a bit geekier again. It might be that companies like EA and Activision will move more towards mobile games but PC gamers still don't mind spending money on games so the niche will fill itself.
    Loke666 said: 99% of all PC games ever have been clones of something else
    Huh? You must mean PC MMO clones right?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Most games are derivative.
    Shooters (FPS AND TPS) RTS, Survival, Voxel, MMO,4X...I agree with @Loke666 
    LOL....awesome. So you both think 99% of PC games are clones. Learning new stuff here every day....

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited May 2016
    Mobile gaming is here.

If right now is a indication of anything, it's in the near future mobile is going to be the biggest thing in gaming. not pc or console.

Imagine a mobile device that is just as powerful as a console or PC but still maintaining the normal utility of a regular cell phone? It's not far-fetched considering how much mobile gaming is making right now on cash grab styled games.  Do not assume your favs arent watching the success of mobile. They are,

I predict in the next 5 years some AAA games will not only come with a console version, but a Mobile version as well.  Think about how fast technology moved in the last 5 yrs esp mobile and gaming. 

BTW: the PC vs console thing fluctuates every few years.

Usually when consoles are in the last days of its gen you see PC numbers rise because devs are preparing for the next gen consoles.

When consoles are at the beginning of a gen, you see console numbers rise because people are buying them because it's new.

Also would be interested in seeing how many games outside of the MOBAs and WOW are being played exclusively on PC and have huge numbers behind them? Compared to console. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited May 2016
    Holy Necro...
    Huh?
    Thread is from 2014 and most of the comments ended Oct 2015 until Darkswarm necroed by quoting several posts in the last couple hours.

You a sock puppet of his sweetie or just unobservant?
    LOL....awesome. So you both think 99% of PC games are clones. Learning new stuff here every day....
    Name something recent that was not
    99% of recent games...was not said. 99% of PC games WAS said. Guarantee.....that statement is wrong. I would challenge you to prove 99% of current ones are clones instead. You might be right there...but then who the hell cares? 99% of everything these days are clones. Cars, music, movies, games.....

But that's not what was said....right?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Name something recent that was not
    99% of recent games...was not said. 99% of PC games WAS said. Guarantee.....that statement is wrong. I would challenge you to prove 99% of current ones are clones instead. You might be right there...but then who the hell cares? 99% of everything these days are clones. Cars, music, movies, games.....

But that's not what was said....right?
    Art imitates Art ;)
    You made me smile there...I give up :P

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited May 2016
    adam_nox said:

TLDR: Get off my lawn, e-sports.

@adam_nox ;  Wrong audience OP. I understand what you're saying and in a lot of ways, I feel the same. But I think it has to do with "popular culture." You can't rail at the masses for liking pop. Same thing has been happening with music and film for decades.

Your opinion is an outlier. So you need to find a niche audience -- just like for film and music. It's low-budget indy games from here on out if you want games that takes risks, that are art, etc.

I don't expect to see a next-gen game like Morrowind again. I know the creativity is out there. It will just be indy if it happens. Then indy studios that are successful will get bought out as the indy developers get married, have kids, realize they need money to feed them, etc. and so on. That's the cycle. It's always been that way.

At the same time, I still have fun with some of what's on offer. I can jump into a popular game for my short play sessions. I even watch some of the streamers. It is a new form of entertainment.

Only rule for me now is no more pre-orders. I have a huge backlog of games to play from past Steam sales. I can wait for the new games to launch and go on sale and have some reviews behind them from actual players instead of paid shills. No reason to worry, OP. You will still get fun games. Just don't look to the mainstream outlets because they are there to sell what's "hot" now.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    kairel182 said:

PC gaming is and has already surpassed console gaming.  This entire post is just opinionated non-sense.

Came here to say this ^

I CAME HERE TO REPOST THIS ^

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

flooding the gaming industry with esports wont kill gaming regardless of platform. Esports games will kill themselves when they start failing en masse and only the few best remain. Same with mmos, same with coop games, same with everything.

Now, what will definitely kill PC gaming slowly and painfully will the ridiculous amount (and growing) of digital distribution DRM crap that every publisher wants to lock their game behind (origin, glyph, etc etc etc). That kills the convenience of having all digital games in one place (steam is at the top). As soon as i am forced to install 5+ DRM programs to play each publishers games respectively. I will stop purchasing PC games and happily stick to my console. Playing only DRM free PC games from that point on. Yes, that includes mmorpgs. I should not need to install 10 different digital platforms to play 10 mmorpgs.

Glyph is not a drm program, it is Trion trying to have all of their games under one launcher for convenience, you can shut down Glyph as soon as you launch a game and you can play as much as you want, there is not security related script or drm script running with Glyph. Now Origin, that is something, most games with their current drm system will shut down as soon as Origin is shut down.

On the topic of so called e-sports games, they won't die, games that promote fair competition will see rise with more players but yes most of them will die and only a handful; 4 or 5 per genre of moba, fps, ccg etc; will continue to thrive.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.