Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch: ie PC gaming is dead.

Comments

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    "Sorry, Mean to mark ESO and BUY2Play model.."

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I have been watching folks play, people are having alot of fun, they are giddy and say things like "im so happy" because they have been waiting for a fun video game for a while now.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Yep, PC gaming is dead.  That's why companies like Square Enix are releasing their previously console-only releases on PC.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    No games, genres or platforms where harmed in the making of Overwatch.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited October 2015

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "We don't believe you, you need more people!" -Jay Z
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    So because PC gaming has some things that you don't like, it's a dead platform? Did you skip your afternoon nap today or something? Because you sound like a petulant toddler. Now go have a nap and when you wake up I'll give you a cookie. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    OP is in a bad situation when he relies on only Blizzard for games.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    PC gaming is a multi billion dollar a year industry.  How a person gets dead from that is mind boggling.

I self identify as a monkey.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    necromancers everywhere , the thread has 1 year lol
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     The op's viewpoint is equivalent to saying professional sports are dead, because more people watch UFC than Baseball. Do you honestly think just because the genre you enjoy isn't as popular as fps, that all pc gaming is dead? Get over yourself, you aren't the only person who plays pc games. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    How is that related to Overwatch? Also why did you expect Blizzard to make another MMORPG. Blizzard only have 1 MMORPG and most of Blizzard's iconic games are not MMORPGs. They are not turning away from what they are good, they are just not a MMORPG focused company. They never were. I am actually quite excited about Overwatch and I really don't want Blizzard to make another MMORPG. I would much rather have new starcraft games, new diablo games or even Warcraft RTS game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited November 2015
    adam_nox said:

TLDR: Get off my lawn, e-sports.

just for the record, you are not the mainstream
    the fact that YOU don't like someonthing, won't stop blizz making more money with that product that you or me will ever see ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Pc game sales are set to beat consoles this year!   http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/83972-pc-games-sales-eclipse-value-console-games-sales-2016/

or an article from last year  http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2014/07/14/the-console-war-is-over-the-pc-already-won/

OP PC gaming is going nowhere its here to stay.  Industry veterans and financial data analysts (experts) completely disagree with you.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I don't think OP understands how Blizzard operates.

Blizzards business strategy is to make the best game they can in every field, dominate that field as best they can and milk the ever loving **** out of it forever with expansions.
    Why would Blizzard make another MMO when they already have wow, wow is undisputed market leader.

Blizzard will not make another card game, or another rts, or another moba, or another mmorpg, or another fps.  The next game they make will probably be a city builder...or who knows what.

When you make another title in the same genre all you end up doing is cannibalizing your own players and turning half of them against your new game.  Everquest 1 and 2 are examples and so are FFXIV and FFXI. 

Look at what Square Enix did with FFXIV, that's exactly what they did.  They ended up causing a huge rift among their playerbase, stealing players who were already paying them money from one of their titles to pay them less on another and after all that they don't have many more players than FFXI did anyway. 

It was a complete disaster, the only saving grace it has was the ability to add micro-transactions to a p2p title (which would of been almost impossible on FFXI).
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    OP made a little tear well up

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited November 2015
    Esports has it's own positive and Negative on PC and Console. recent example is Halo 5. they sacrificed Multiplayer for Singleplayer among other things.

PC gaming is doing great as an open platform considering there is no major publisher directly behind it. however these major publishers behind consoles ironically are ruining consoles right now. we used to have games like Shadow of Colossus etc on consoles. not anymore. people can praise the likes of Bloodborne all they want (which is an epic game, that is not my point though), but i value the likes of Demon Souls more. let's hope The Last Guardian turns out to be something special.

thanks to Kickstarter however we are seeing some genres getting revived and console gamers are welcoming Kickstarter as well which is a good thing.

as for your claim regarding piracy on PC, let's just say PC centric games usually sell more on PC and console centric games usually sell more on consoles, (for the record Witcher 3 is not a PC centric game. it works better on PC, but it is designed to be console friendly. even so Witcher 3's sales on PC rivals X1 if not surpassing it)

sadly i didn't read all the rant completely though, so sorry in advance if i missed something.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "PC gaming is dead", False
    Guy read title, responded to title, but not with a sentence.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    kairel182 said:

PC gaming is and has already surpassed console gaming.  This entire post is just opinionated non-sense.

You completely lost me at Twitch.  You sound like the type that hates games in general.  I'm a huge gamer, both in games I play and games I watch, whether casual or professional.  I've almost completely replaced TV with Twitch, it's far more entertaining.

Also, it was just shy of 1bil that Amazon paid for Twitch.

Also - Blizzard and Blizzcon mean nothing to me.  The only Blizzard game I have installed is D2 and they've completely abandoned the game, one of their core founding games, allowing the servers to become completely unstable and unplayable.

PC Gaming has held console gaming back largely because some genres/sub-genres and releases have continued to be PC exclusive.

How many people would play WoW on PCs if they could play it on Consoles with KB/Mouse Support?  What about GW2 (which would work amazing with a controller, IMO)?  ESO is a good example.  There are tons of people who ditched the PC port for the console port, ported their characters over, or simply refought it and moved over to console.

Strategy Games (Starcraft) and games like Hearthstone haven't really made the shift to Consoles yet.  MOBAs are only just now starting to shift to consoles.

A lot of people game on PCs simply because they have no choice. The games that they want to play, simply are not available outside of the PC ecosystem.

I think what we're in the middle of is a bit of a shift.  I do expect the next generation of consoles (PS5, next Xbox) to do some serious damage from that standpoint and I would not be surprised if companies like Sony and Microsoft (particularly Sony) are already talking to developers and publishers to heighten their chances there.

By then Streaming from Console to PC is going to be fairly rudimentary, as well (and I expect that to improve additionally).

From a fairness standpoint, I see nothing wrong with that, though.  There are way too many cheaters in PC games.  Much, much less in consoles.

flooding the gaming industry with esports wont kill gaming regardless of platform. Esports games will kill themselves when they start failing en masse and only the few best remain. Same with mmos, same with coop games, same with everything.

Now, what will definitely kill PC gaming slowly and painfully will the ridiculous amount (and growing) of digital distribution DRM crap that every publisher wants to lock their game behind (origin, glyph, etc etc etc). That kills the convenience of having all digital games in one place (steam is at the top). As soon as i am forced to install 5+ DRM programs to play each publishers games respectively. I will stop purchasing PC games and happily stick to my console. Playing only DRM free PC games from that point on. Yes, that includes mmorpgs. I should not need to install 10 different digital platforms to play 10 mmorpgs.

This is why I stopped gaming on PCs.  All this crap that often runs in the background.  You can't just install a game anymore and move on.  You have to have Steam, or Glyph, or Origin, or Battle.net...  Or something else...

And often a combination of them.

Which means you have a combination of separate logins, and a combination of background processes and sometimes buddy lists spread across different services.

I just don't like it.

I rather game on a console if I'm going to go that route, and that's pretty much what I've resorted to doing.

And that's not to mention separate clients like Curse that you need to manage add-ons, otherwise that becomes a huge cluster....

Ridelynn said:

Originally posted by indef
    The only way for an MMO to be profitable is to be successful, which no new MMO has been in the last decade besides WoW and EVE.  There are many other sectors of business where these people can invest $100 million in a less risky way.  Game devs have learned how to cushion the blow by offering paid early access, paid alphas, paid betas, paid founders packs, etc.   This has led to MMOs becoming monetization schemes, rather than enjoyable products.

Can this be true? No other MMO in the last 10 years has been successful apart from WoW and Eve?

First off - it matters how you define success. You imply that this is a financial metric, since your speaking in terms of profitability and investments. So let's just continue with your assumption.

Going with that, let's look at this post on Joystiq:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/23/league-of-legends-tops-mmo-revenue-list-hearthstone-no-10/

Now it claims all of these are MMOs, some people here will take issue with games like Hearthstone and LoL being lumped in there. Ok, so let's just go ahead and ignore those.

Maplestory was released in 2003, so that doesn't meet your 10 year criteria.
    Lineage 1 was released in 1998, that definitely doesn't fit.

So I guess if we just look at this post, and say - you know, no other MMO is on that list, so they all must be failures - then you'd be right.

Let's look at a similar post. Again this time on Gamespot, but from the same original source. This lists MMOs specifically, but only covers through 2013.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wow-was-the-top-subscription-mmo-in-2013-star-wars/1100-6421191/

Yup, WoW is on top there, and Eve clocks in at #6.

So what about numbers 2 through 5? Are they failures? They beat Eve in revenue, and that was one of your benchmarks. Three of them were released in the last decade, so it would appear, at least on the surface, we've found 3 games apart from WoW and Eve that are "Successful". I didn't differentiate between revenue and profit. So maybe you have some insider information, and you can gotchya me on that one.

But I would say there are more metrics than just revenue/profit to consider. Just because a game doesn't beat WoW in subscribers, players, or revenue, doesn't mean it's a failure. And just because indef doesn't like the game doesn't mean it's a failure.

MMOs have been successful in the past 10 years.  EQ2 was successful.  ESO was successful.  etc.

The only reason why you people can give the illusion of logic in those template responses is because you're setting a ridiculous bar for "success."

You don't need 10M subscribers to have a successful MMO.  The fact that WoW achieved that was very impressive, but it's not some bar for qualification.  That is just Blizzard's own accomplishment.
    edited May 2016
    It's hard to take an article like that seriously if we are not given a breakdown of where the money is coming from.  There are people spending thousands in the L2Store for super rare items out of boxes.  Most console gamers wouldn't do that, especially in a game that old.

If a ton of revenue is coming from P2Win Cash Shop games, then that doesn't really say anything positive about the direction of PC Gaming, IMHO.

Additionally, as stated in the article, the PC Market is supported by Genres that simply aren't represented at all (and certainly not widely or well-represented) on consoles.  MOBAs, Strategy Games, MMOs, etc.  (mentioned this in an earlier comment before even seeing this).

If Consoles see an influx of these types of games (especially with them supporting M&KB, this is very possible), then it will pull players away from the PC ecosystem.

The fact that people are even arguing about this these days, is a huge win for the console platform.  10 years ago, no one would even try to make an argument of it, because PCs were simply that far ahead.

Right now, the momentum is with consoles, not PCs.  No one can predict the future, though.
    edited May 2016
    Gretelda said:
    Esports has it's own positive and Negative on PC and Console. recent example is Halo 5. they sacrificed 

as for your claim regarding piracy on PC, let's just say PC centric games usually sell more on PC and console centric games usually sell more on consoles, (for the record Witcher 3 is not a PC centric game. it works better on PC, but it is designed to be console friendly. even so Witcher 3's sales on PC rivals X1 if not surpassing it)

sadly i didn't read all the rant completely though, so sorry in advance if i missed something.
    1.  If you're going to respond, do yourself the favor of actually reading what you're responding to.  For obvious reasons...

2.  Interesting comparison:  Witcher 3 on all sorts of PCs vs. Witcher 3 on... "just X1."

I can guarantee you the game likely sold more on "Consoles" than on "PC" simply due to the fact that there are more console players who can play this game decently than the number of PC gamers with a PC strong enough to run it at a performance or graphical level that would rival the consoles, anyways, which is the only reason you'd get it for PC instead of console.

Who would buy a game on PC simply because "in theory, it runs and looks better on PC than Console" when their actual PC cannot perform or look better than what the console presents them?

This is why I almost always buy games on Console before PC.  I don't even have to care about system requirements.  The games always look good...

Oh, and I can resell or trade them to buy other new[er] games later on.

What kind of PC do you need to play something like Witcher 3 at above-console Graphics Quality and Performance, and still be able to stream the game concurrently (i.e. Twitch) or record Gameplay (i.e. Fraps)?
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    kairel182 said:

PC gaming is and has already surpassed console gaming.  This entire post is just opinionated non-sense.

Came here to say this ^

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."