Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch was Titan... proof inside

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Rollermint

Ok, they scrapped "Titan" but took some art assets, coding and personnel from that project and made a new game, a rather significantly different one at that.

So what? I don't see whats the big deal in any of this.

Game looks fun as heck though!

The "big deal" is that it was supposed to be an MMO, they scrapped it (probably due to technical issues of bringing FPS to MMO scale without resorting to heavy instancing and lobbying like Destiny and that's not what Blizzard would want probably nor would the gamers) and used what "didn't come to be" to make Overwatch, A lobby arena-shooter.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Whats not to understand? This game was Blizzards "Titan". They recently had come forward claiming they completly scrapped the project. Leakers have described the game as you see it as Overwatch. They probably did the disinformation interview to try and curb further leaks, or discussions about the leaks.

Or they had Titan "the mmo" couldn't make it work, scrapped that project, took the assets, programming, design decisions, etc and used them in a different game and one where it would work well.

Maybe the combat in Overwatch was the only part of Titan that worked so they decided to develop that into a [edit] different game.

Because otherwise, what you are saying is "they canceled Titan and then the released it!" But with a different name!

That doesn't make sense.

Pretty much this, but I figured people were spart enough to figure it out on their own without me having to write a 10000 word post with my thoughts.

Seems some people dont understand the name "Titan" was just a code name for the project..

He is merely speculating where as you were trying to present it as a fact.

I doubt it took them 7 years to make a TF2 style arena game. So you were saying something about 'people not being smart enough'? 

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Pretty much this, but I figured people were spart enough to figure it out on their own without me having to write a 10000 word post with my thoughts.

Seems some people dont understand the name "Titan" was just a code name for the project..?

Sorry, just posting to say that was ironic and funny. Carry-on...

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Fusion

Ok, they scrapped "Titan" but took some art assets, coding and personnel from that project and made a new game, a rather significantly different one at that.

The "big deal" is that it was supposed to be an MMO, they scrapped it (probably due to technical issues of bringing FPS to MMO scale without resorting to heavy instancing and lobbying like Destiny and that's not what Blizzard would want probably nor would the gamers) and used what "didn't come to be" to make Overwatch, A lobby arena-shooter.

And I still say:   so what?

Is the whole point of this thread,  that this alleged event is yet another harbinger of doom for the MMO genre?

Because that is the only motive for this that I can come up with.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Someone actually called this not too long ago on these forums. There was a post somewhere about what Titan actually was and this seems to be it.Posted Sep 24th 2014"""Players would be able to select from classes with names like Reaper, Jumper, Titan, Ranger, and Juggernaut, each of which had its own special combat abilities and items, according to a source. Jumpers, for example, would be agile scouts with a teleport ability and the ability to quickly leap in and out of combat. Titans were tanks, while Rangers were snipers with cloaking and other abilities (think Nova from StarCraft II and the ill-fated StarCraft Ghost)."""So the recent interview from Blizzard talking about how they scrapped Titan was just a load of BS because some of these leaks were actually true.http://titanfocus.info/

The premise of what your saying is wrong.

Just because they used the scaps of Titan does not mean Over watch was Titan.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    TF2 (I mean Overwatch) is not Titan.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    @ Instigator-Jones

Cell phone posting for the L I guess.

So much piss and vinegar in this thread it's too funny.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    My guess is that they tried out various concepts (aka game types) under the project name titan. Sharing code, assets, game engine stuff, but not picking a direction. The "cancellation" of titan was probably to kill the speculation of titan beeing a new mmorpg. It is likely that some other branch of project titan continued using what already has been made and turned into Overwatch.. Atleast it is unlikely that everything is tossed in the bin withou trying to use some of the work.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

At some point what it means to 'scrap' something, becomes splitting hairs.  Clearly they scrapped their original vision of Titan.

Also somewhat clearly, what we see as Overwatch, is probably the remnants of Titan. 

Some are asking why they bothered changing the name.  Same reason they said they scrapped it. They wanted a clean slate without the pressure and expectations that had been building for Titan.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    @ Instigator-Jones

Cell phone posting for the L I guess.

So much piss and vinegar in this thread it's too funny.

That's my favorite drink.

• gajolmandgajolmand Member CommonPosts: 29

If you watched the Q&A you would know that one of the guys asked if this was Titan and they told him that they used the assets from Titan to make Overwatch.

And it makes sense.

In the start cinematic you saw the robot invasion, that were probably going to be the enemies.

Blizzard made the character creator (Thats what they used to make all the chars)

They made classes (The 12 different heroes that are there so far)

They said that they tried with more abilities and upgrades but there was too much going on.(They just used class abilities they had already made for Titan)

The armor the different heroes are wearing are just gear sets from Titan reused on the heroes.

The few special heroes like the monk and turret robot have probably been added after the decision to scrap Titan and turn the remains of it into a team based FPS.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Why wouldnt they use the games resources for Overwatch?  Just because they dumped the idea of Titan doesnt mean the work has to be wasted.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nadia

related -- from September

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

All of the people who described the game to me made a lot of Team Fortress comparisons both in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. Three people who saw the game have compared the aesthetics to Team Fortress 2, with one source describing it as a cross between StarCraft II's in-game cinematics and Pixar's The Incredibles. Your perspective would switch between first- and third-person based on whether you were heading into combat or hanging out in a city, according to two sources—not unlike Bungie's Destiny.

The fact that Jeff Kaplan is the lead developer for both games also ties them together

otherwise, i agree, I don't think they renamed Titan to Overwatch

but borrowed heavily from the existing game assets

Spot on. Whether they renamed Titan, borrowed heavily from it, morphed it or whatever are minor quibbles. This announcement and the release time frames make it pretty clear that this, in one form or another, is something they've been working on for a while.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Boneserino

And I still say:   so what?

Is the whole point of this thread,  that this alleged event is yet another harbinger of doom for the MMO genre?

Because that is the only motive for this that I can come up with.

The big deal? Really? A company can't use any of the assets that they put time, money, personnel, and effort into another game that they make? 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Plus, they also seem to have a serious obsession competitive e-Sport gaming, and this works into that perfectly.

This vid covers a lot of what Blizz has been doing. Like the guy or not, agree with his opinions or not, he's been spot on with a lot of the predictions and insights he's given over time. He's also very passionate about the topics he takes on, which is what I particularly like about his vids (even when I don't agree with him).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Even on day one sites were running stories quoting Blizzard devs explaining how pieces of Titan can be found in Overwatch. Blizzard had stated that they were unable to find the "fun" in Titan. I think it's plausible that elements of the game were, in fact, very fun and they decided to develop a new game using those things and cut out what wasn't fun. I don't see any controversy in this - it actually makes good business sense.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Are you saying they really didn't scrap it and they are still working on under a different name?

Only Blizzard knows that for fact but it sure looks like that to me.Even worse is that i believe they are RUSHING this product out before Christmas which fits Blizzard's tendencies 100%.Point is that i believe this is Titan but a streamlined version,basically saying an unfinished Titan product.

As to the notion of lying to investors,who said that?They can always be honest with their investors,after all it is they who are actually making the decisions and still lie to the gamer's.

This smells of the timing with the Panda ordeal that blizzard and other's tried to cover up but was so insanely obvious to the average person.Can we use that same excuse then,they were covering up the Panda ordeal from investors?No of course not,we as an outside source have to use our own judgement because developers are NEVER going to be 100% honest with us.

Point is ,of course they scrapped Titan,the name that is.

If you believe Blizzard is so honest then look at their VERY obvious voice overs,they are 99% copies of Warcraft,so how can they be claiming this is a NEW franchise yet copy the voice overs?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    All you have to do is think of it in terms of financial gains. Titan gameplay was pretty much what Overwatch is right now. A FPS MMO with insanely smooth gameplay, satisfying combat,  and  beautiful art design. Blizzard has an MMO that makes them a billion dollars a year.  They knew Titan would be a monumental success and that it would hurt WOW subs. Do they really want a game to compete with  another one of their games? No of course not,  so what do you do, you take the best parts of Titan, repackage it, and make a new game in a genre that is  highly saturated with millions of players,. Online FPS is big business on pc and even  bigger on consoles. Blizzard is going for where the money is at, and Overwatch was a smart move financially. Did they fuck over the MMO community? Yup.. we needed that  new MMO  that only Blizzard could deliver, and they threw it away for a quick buck.  The MMO is a dying genre let's face it. If a 10 year old game is still dominating the market then  we have some serious problems. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by marcio519
    if it's fun I do not care to be or not to be part of the titan ... its just a name ...

I agree with you 100% all that matters on paper is if a game is fun "for you" to play,however there is some ethics involved in supporting a misleading developer if we can use the word misleading.Until we know the full truth we can only say misleading but would not surprise me the least if they are not flat out lying.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I think all the art assets and engine are from titan.   Those are expensive things to make, and it makes sense to reuse them.
  • PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

@OP

Titan was originally intended to be a sci fi mmo. For whatever reason it didn't persist going down that route and overwatch is the result of that. Apparently elements of titan made it into overwatch, but according to the devs they feel the game is better with what  they want this way than an mmo as originally planned.

Whether that means Blizzard ended the potentially competition on the mmo front and revised it doesn't matter. But it's not hidden that Titan elements became a part of Overwatch.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

errr. the point where they said they "used assets from titan to make overwatch" wasn't proof enough?

k

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Good God, don't you have something better to do?

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by MMOVet74
    All you have to do is think of it in terms of financial gains. Titan gameplay was pretty much what Overwatch is right now. A FPS MMO with insanely smooth gameplay, satisfying combat,  and  beautiful art design. Blizzard has an MMO that makes them a billion dollars a year.  They knew Titan would be a monumental success and that it would hurt WOW subs. Do they really want a game to compete with  another one of their games? No of course not,  so what do you do, you take the best parts of Titan, repackage it, and make a new game in a genre that is  highly saturated with millions of players,. Online FPS is big business on pc and even  bigger on consoles. Blizzard is going for where the money is at, and Overwatch was a smart move financially. Did they fuck over the MMO community? Yup.. we needed that  new MMO  that only Blizzard could deliver, and they threw it away for a quick buck.  The MMO is a dying genre let's face it. If a 10 year old game is still dominating the market then  we have some serious problems. 

Honestly if their "competitor" for WoW is something they develop and it becomes successful they're not really losing out on money any if anything they could potentially gain some what with the ability to have box sales + monthly + expansions in the works instead of trying to find things to expand on with a 10+ year mmo.

I think honestly it came down to a technical side of things. Smooth gameplay is one thing and their game seems smooth. But mix in 100 people it'd be a cluster fuck. But to instance everything then it's not really an mmo. So the way they have it here is an arena shooter where the quality, smoothness, and gameplay elements are favored for. Not an mmo.