Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning player - game is much improved

I was one of SWTOR's harshest critics and left the game 2 months after launch...returned a year later for one month and then returned this past week.

1st off - I know they're a lot of MMORPGers here that hate theme parks and will hate SWTOR forever - I understand that but the game overall has improved much and I felt it was time to revise my opinion.

Stronghold's (or housing) has always been a favorite part of MMO's and SWTOR did a really nice job with the design - although placing of decorations is a bit stiff (you can't just drop stuff down anywhere) it's a great diversion from combat and it's made traveling around SWTOR so much easier. (from your Stronghold you can port to your ship...The Fleet or even the last place you were at.) I never understood why Bioware/EA just didn't let people use their ships as a home with decorating capabilities - just seemed like a waste.

The F2P model is very limited but it's a good way for people to try the game out for themselves and IMO if you decide to check out SWTOR and like it just go ahead and pay for the month's sub - it's only 50 cents per day and you'll end up spending much more if you buy add-ons or unlocks.

The game engine seems better but I would advise that anyone playing this game have at least a Quad-Core with 8 gigs of ram and 1 gig Video card - this will give you a playable FPS even in PVP but you will be set on the lowest graphic setting (yes...it's a hog and one of the biggest mistakes Bioware/EA made with game design)

The crafting system has depth and the Companion system was always one of my favorites but I have yet to assess whether or not end game crafting is viable now or still behind drops (I'm sure someone here will let me know)

In retrospect I wish my starting character had been a Jedi and not The Trooper....I love the Jedi story and nothing feels more like Star Wars than swinging a lightsaber and hurling foes through the air with the Force :)

It's a solid game now and since it's free and all you have to pay for is a sub for full access....why not give it a try? The new expansion is coming out in December so now is a great time to start :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I agree, the game is a lot better than it was before.

I also quit playing couple of months after launch and just came back for 12x XP boost and I have to say I'm enjoying it.

But, the game is still the same at it's core.

So, if someone left because of bad optimization, ability delay, long loading screens, 5 hour emergency maintenance in prime time, empty servers etc., then by all means you should come back. The game is now working flawlessly.

But, if someone disliked lack of massive PvP, heavy on-rails experience with little to no exploration, lots of repetitive grindy quests covered up with in-game cutscenes etc., don't expect the game is any different now.

Me, I appreciate good class stories SWTOR has, as well as the casual social experience provided by heroic quests. I will keep playing.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by DeniZg

I agree, the game is a lot better than it was before.

I also quit playing couple of months after launch and just came back for 12x XP boost and I have to say I'm enjoying it.

But, the game is still the same at it's core.

So, if someone left because of bad optimization, ability delay, long loading screens, 5 hour emergency maintenance in prime time, empty servers etc., then by all means you should come back. The game is now working flawlessly.

But, if someone disliked lack of massive PvP, heavy on-rails experience with little to no exploration, lots of repetitive grindy quests covered up with in-game cutscenes etc., don't expect the game is any different now.

Me, I appreciate good class stories SWTOR has, as well as the casual social experience provided by heroic quests. I will keep playing.

Most of my problems with the game early on were performance and the other items you mentioned and as you said these have been taken care of and the game runs smoothly now.

The lack of mass PVP is a slight disappointment and I hope in the future is corrected but they've added more Warzones (battlegrounds) to make it more interesting and of course if you like world PVP you can just join a PVP server.

The servers being empty was a big problem but now that's solved also and there are people everywhere I go. Lack of changing planetary weather patterns is a bummer but not a deal breaker and as long as Bioware/EA continue to add content on a regular basis the game will get better and better.

It's definitely worth the sub now and I plan on trying out many of the other classes.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

I concur with the OP.

I returned for the x12 XP Multiplier for class missions  and i am doing mostly story/class missions at the moment and this is were SWTOR shines.

However, since i played last time there is a TON of new content i did not know about (e.g. macrobinocular missions, seeker missions, Bountyhunting week, free flying space PvP  etc etc.). And it "feels" like a much better game compared to time at game launch.

I also enjoy the housing aspect of games, so the introduction of Strongholds was a big plus IMHO. Collecting items, displaying them, rearranging them is important ... especially when once i was an SWG architect ;-)

Have fun

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Unless you are heavy into SWTOR PvP or can stomach the tedious and most repetitve daily content, "end game" is still rather boring. And I left out the so-called "space combat" as I still feel it is far too limited. My opinion.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Gruug

Unless you are heavy into SWTOR PvP or can stomach the tedious and most repetitve daily content, "end game" is still rather boring. And I left out the so-called "space combat" as I still feel it is far too limited. My opinion.

Pretty much all the MMOs and online games have ¨repetitive endgame content¨  or ¨daily quest¨, someday it will change but it doesnt look like it will change anytime soon. 

But SWTOR after almost 3 years have really a good amount of endgame content or things to do, so it doesnt feel repetitive at all.  

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Just came back to SWTOR after a year off. I agree it's improved a lot, and since I never finished my class story I've been having fun with that.

Can't seem to settle down lately on a fantasy MMO, which for me is very odd. Right now, I like playing this and Firefall.

Anyway, for those that are curious, echoing the others who say you will find the fundamentals are the same, but it's more stable and flexible now, and there is a lot more content. As always having a few friends or a decent guild helps. Good luck all!