Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

South Park...Freemium Episode!!!! Awesome

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

um its not off topic its about video games and freemiums.  Its very on topic.

but thanks forum police, please leave that stuff up to the moderators

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Very funny... Now we know it's all Canada's fault image
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Ya it was really funny and on point
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Technically, its about mobile freemiums like Simpsons Tapped Out, not MMORPG freemiums. Mobile freemium plans are much worse then any decent F2P MMORPG worth playing. 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    [mod edit]
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

At LAST.

I was expecting for years that Southpark makes an episode to debunk this crap. Free to play, microtransactions etc.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Just watched it. Excellent and accurate.
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577
    Holy crap that was so spot on. I watched it tonight when it came on, and while the episode wasn't the funniest, it certainly was the most true thing I've seen any mainstream media say about this FTP/Freemium scam model. Seeing it played out on tv and outlined there I hope gets further mainstream media attention here in the US. Honestly while I'm usually not in favor of government regulation, I hope and pray this model gets hit with the nerf hammer. Possibly even the total ban hammer. and Hi Paige!!!
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Big South Park fan here.

As Raagnarz said, it wasn't the funniest episode I've seen but mate, it was spot on.

After TitanicAge, I will never be touching any game that markets itself as free again.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    [mod edit]
    Harbinger of Fools
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It was indeed awesome. You know it's pretty bad when Southpark calls out this crap.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by nilden
    It was indeed awesome. You know it's pretty bad when Southpark calls out this crap.

What? South Park calls out everything. If it's an interesting topic or being talked about a lot, you can bet South Park will eventually make an episode on it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by Sector13
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Technically, its about mobile freemiums like Simpsons Tapped Out, not MMORPG freemiums. Mobile freemium plans are much worse then any decent F2P MMORPG worth playing. 

Any game that says it is free falls into this category whether it is MMO or app game.  They all try and do exactly what the episode showed, they try and get the people that have no self control to spend all their money on crap.  Nothing is wrong with the occasional purchase but as soon as you see gambling boxes they are worst they freemium apps.  Anyone that pushes crap like that should be brought up on charges just like drug dealers and pushers.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

I think the reason this episode isn't as funny is that they basically took the truth and.... that's it.  With the exceptions of the Canadian devil and government, I can fully imagine this episode happening in real life in multiple places.  In fact, I'd be kinda surprised if that wasn't the case.

It's only funny at all because the truth is funny.  Other than that, they didn't really exaggerate anything ridiculously or put any silly spins on it with the exception of the Canadian government and demons. It's basically "the truth" and nothing else.  (likening it to crack wasn't a jokeful exaggeration.  That's the truth, too.  Everquest was nicknamed Evercrack and that's before theindustry went F2P for the worse, even)

So yea, that makes it really spot on, as if they took R2game's presentation and made it presented by South park characters and left it at that.  Again, it works in part because the truth is funny, but... yea, not as funny as most other episodes.

It IS very impressive just HOW spot on they were though.  Even down to the "People think F2P thrives on lots of microtransactions from a large player base, but in truth most of its revenue comes from addicted whales" thing.  Also, I absolutely adore how they clearly did the research for the devil's lecture to Stan, especially with the skinner box reference.