Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside

RaenzRaenz Member UncommonPosts: 81
Anyone heard of anything major going on for PS?

-Raenz-

Comments

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

PS is dead

Loved it in beta uptil sept 2003 then corecombat ruined it

• RaenzRaenz Member UncommonPosts: 81

Well I had heard through the grapevine that it's on the outs.

I have a Sony Station Pass, but hadn't heard anything first hand.

-Raenz-

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Thats cause its run by SOE.  Bad customer support, High subscription fee, Low amount of updates.
  • GreydGreyd Member Posts: 17

Planetside is definitely over the hill, though I guess that's not news. There are some factors speeding that decline: like the BFRs, which are still too powerful and too common (an atrocious combination), and the annoying player-warping that's been around since beta.

Seems to me like SOE has pretty much forgotten about ol' Planetside. I doubt the development team is getting much in the way of a budget--SOE is just cruising the game out now, milking whatever profits they can without putting anything in.

It'll be sad to see the game go. Truly one-of-a-kind.

• ShoedimusShoedimus Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Veiled_light
    corecombat ruined it

THANK YOU SIR! As soon as Core Combat came out, I was done. Up until then the game was great though. That expansion was so.... crappy...

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294
    PS isnt dead as long as die hard FPS fans are around. It may be old in graphics and have some short comings, but it is not dead. I was on on a week day around noon and I did instant combat there was well over 100 to 200 people just in that battle that was 5 days ago. I was laggin so I went back to Sancturary and went to Instant comabt and yet again at least 50 more peole in another battle. So no its not dead. Maybe in a year or two but no time soon. Also as far as player warping I in the last 8 months of playing it have yet to experience it.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• ShoedimusShoedimus Member Posts: 24

Oh, I love FPS more than any other type of game. The game was fun for the first couple months but than it got old. It was discouraging logging on in the afternoon to see the continent you took over the previous night now in the hands of the enemy once again. The death timer increase got on my nerves as well but I know it was to balance the game. The original sniper rifle was extremly gimp. I would shoot guys in the light armor and they wouldn't die, even if I shot them in the head. But besides all this and a few other things, the game was great.... it just got too repetitive after a while ::::21::

• jakethejonesjakethejones Member Posts: 7

Remember how rare orbital strikes were? Well I was bored and reactivated... still kind of fun here and there... But now there are too many High command rank people. The orbital strikes have something like a 3 hour cool down, but its not uncomon to see three or four of them in a single tower stand off now.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

I felt the repetitiveness after about 5 days of play, looked at all the recent updates and it was obvious SOE had abandoned it. If they aren't going to add new content they could atleast reduce subscription costs, especially now that they have ads everywhere.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• Sparks243Sparks243 Member Posts: 271

I hope the failure that Planetside has become doesn't discourage future game makers wanting to make a retail MMOFPS, since the concept is genius but the execution has been lackluster.

• OV|MoratOV|Morat Member Posts: 8

Playing PS at release was a complete blast, the large battles were really intense and tower capping was fun. Then it got worse the more they added.
    AND they released it at the beginning of the school summer holidays which meant that the first crop of CR-5s were a bunch of annoying teenage gimps with hitler fantasies. (at least that was true of TR on Werner at least).

Shame