Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I resubbed to FFXIV and...

It turns out FFIX:ARR has really really improved on everything from crafting, gathering to questing and running dungeons. Groups and people galore all over the place doing various things. It reminds me of original Everquest to be honest. I'm having a great time in game and have met some really cool people so far. My guildies are class acts. I rolled a Gladiator not realizing that the job unlock would be Paladin (Tank). Turns out after running some dungeons as a "tank" that I absolutely love it! I enjoy tanking in this game far more than any other MMO. The storyline missions are generally fun as well as your class or profession quests. 

All in all I'd say FFXIV is well worth 15$ a month...especially compared to other P2P MMO's on the market. I'd advise you all to give it a shot and really sink your teeth in. You won't be disappointed. Whether you like Final Fantasy or not I'm sure this game will have alot of things you are looking for. Dungeon queue's are not long, especially for healers or tanks. DPS takes some time but that's usually the case in any MMO INCLUDING WoW. 

On a side note: ZERO LAG!!!! I haven't had ANY lag whatsoever no matter how many people are on the screen or how many spells or animations are going off. That is a feat that is HARD to touch. WoW even lags with lots of players especially on PvP servers. I keep comparing it to WoW but that's just because WoW is so successfull and there isn't any reason as to why FFXIV:ARR shouldn't be. 

So... with all that being said. Check out FFXIV and give it a shot image

Comments

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Yep, to me FFARR is the only MMO on the market where you feel like you truly get your 15 bucks worth. The patches alone almost feel like expansion packs.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Yes the game is absolutely bursting at the seams. Every zone is packed. Nice to see people supporting this awesome game.

I was doing Syrcus Tower yesterday and we had an abysmal time because the groups were not working together avoiding telegraphs , dispelling effects like bombs or killing the adds or other mobs that might buff the boss. The best was when at the Glasya Labolas someone placed the knight in the wrong spot so none of the jumping pads activated. It was amazing how important it was to unfreeze players and not dry up the resulting pool with an ill placed effect, people were just not working together but a couple of wipes and when people started paying attention it all came together. Now this is how you make a game for grouping ladies and gentlemen , I do really like this game and am a happy trooper.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    The entry sub fee is $13 by the way, most of us aren't paying the usual $15 fee for this game.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Best mmorpg I've ever played in years. When I try other p2p mmos like teso, swtor etc. something always seems off. But with FFXIV everything is perfect. The story, class system, dungeons, leveling, crafting and even pvp. I can't believe but they even overcame the lack of pvp content. The frontlines is great. The quality in this game is amazing...

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I canceled the moment i see a cash shop coming in, i dont support sub + cash shop.
  • gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Agreed, it's a great game. I just cancelled my account though. Been playing Firefall and I just can't stop.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

it takes a while especially if you're not used to the slower pace of combat but it really grows on you

plus the community is just great, the commendation system gives players an incentive to be nice in pugs and it really shows

• Arcane4176Arcane4176 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Was gonna resub until i heard about the cash shop incoming as well why dont companies ever learn they have plenty of subs here and are making a killing but they still find a need to put in a cash shop. This is called greed and ruined many games.. Oh well i'll stick my current game. Boooo FFXIV what made you great just turned me away..You wont miss me and i wont miss you..
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Here is the thing: the game is great as long as you avoid getting caught up in the end game grinder madness that has been encompassing Bahamut's coil and the EX primals.   Then again, the hard core grinding at end game has been a problem in the genre for a while now.
  • EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Colt47
    Here is the thing: the game is great as long as you avoid getting caught up in the end game grinder madness that has been encompassing Bahamut's coil and the EX primals. 

That is the reason why I'm subbed. If there is one thing I love about this game is Coil and ex primals so that is a strange thing to say IMO.

Originally posted by Colt47
    Here is the thing: the game is great as long as you avoid getting caught up in the end game grinder madness that has been encompassing Bahamut's coil and the EX primals.   Then again, the hard core grinding at end game has been a problem in the genre for a while now.

I don't see the grind? Learn the fights, then clear them once a week while capping tomestones, done.

If anything the HC playerbase complains about lack of things to do. The zodiac questline helped with this though. That is grind.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I think it is an awesome game. I am subbed. But there is something about the presentation that makes it feel small to me and I can't shake it. I've rediscovered EQ1 and can't stop playing this old antiquated game. I don't what it is.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Haralin
    I canceled the moment i see a cash shop coming in, i dont support sub + cash shop.

I was thinking of returning as well, But I feel the same.

I quit WoW too. I'm just done with RMT of any form in my games. I'm currently in single player games, but I will probably try ESO soon. But that's the last one AFAIK.

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I quit WoW too. I'm just done with RMT of any form in my games. I'm currently in single player games, but I will probably try ESO soon. But that's the last one AFAIK.

I recently came from ArcheAge to FFXIV, where they have a sub and a cash shop, and trust me, FFXIV's cash shop is completely fine and innocent compared to ArcheAge's blatant pay2win cash shop.

What I'm trying to say is that in the nowadays MMO world filled with pay2win/horrible monetization models, a cash shop that has mostly just conveniece and cosmetic items is completely fine.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Shayyd80

It turns out FFIX:ARR has really really improved on everything from crafting, gathering to questing and running dungeons. Groups and people galore all over the place doing various things. It reminds me of original Everquest to be honest. I'm having a great time in game and have met some really cool people so far. My guildies are class acts. I rolled a Gladiator not realizing that the job unlock would be Paladin (Tank). Turns out after running some dungeons as a "tank" that I absolutely love it! I enjoy tanking in this game far more than any other MMO. The storyline missions are generally fun as well as your class or profession quests. 

All in all I'd say FFXIV is well worth 15$ a month...especially compared to other P2P MMO's on the market. I'd advise you all to give it a shot and really sink your teeth in. You won't be disappointed. Whether you like Final Fantasy or not I'm sure this game will have alot of things you are looking for. Dungeon queue's are not long, especially for healers or tanks. DPS takes some time but that's usually the case in any MMO INCLUDING WoW. 

On a side note: ZERO LAG!!!! I haven't had ANY lag whatsoever no matter how many people are on the screen or how many spells or animations are going off. That is a feat that is HARD to touch. WoW even lags with lots of players especially on PvP servers. I keep comparing it to WoW but that's just because WoW is so successfull and there isn't any reason as to why FFXIV:ARR shouldn't be. 

So... with all that being said. Check out FFXIV and give it a shot image

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Br3akingDawn
    Originally posted by Grable
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I recently came from ArcheAge to FFXIV, where they have a sub and a cash shop, and trust me, FFXIV's cash shop is completely fine and innocent compared to ArcheAge's blatant pay2win cash shop.

What I'm trying to say is that in the nowadays MMO world filled with pay2win/horrible monetization models, a cash shop that has mostly just conveniece and cosmetic items is completely fine.

the real problem for a cash shop that many might be wary about for a beautiful game like FF is that all the amazing gear designs will come from the cash shop. at least thats what im mostly afraid of. 

Also what i'm afraid of and will stop supporting SE if it happens but as it is now, the shop have only cosmetics from the previous halloween events and a single horse mount cosmetic.

If it starts selling anything that effects stats or such then i can understand the complaints but not when it's stuff that would be unattainable anyway from old events.

the real problem for a cash shop that many might be wary about for a beautiful game like FF is that all the amazing gear designs will come from the cash shop. at least thats what im mostly afraid of. 

So the problem is the worry that there may or may not be a problem sometime in the near or distant future.

Perhaps I am a tiny minority but I will not let the unknown future detach me from the present. The present in which the cash shop did not change the game's direction in any shape or form. We had items buyable outside the cash shop before, items that were slowly but surely increasingly introduced through means other than the cash shop. The trend started in 2012 and the current cash shop did not change a single thing about it (aside from having a centralized place for these items, which is a massive change indeed /s).

In 2012 we had items obtainable outside the game. In 2013 we had more items obtainable outside the game. in 2014 we will have more items obtainable outside the game. In 2015 we will have more items obtainable outside the game... For those with gripes about the cash shop it's not about the items you can (or can't) buy there, it's about the sole existence of an entity resembling a cash shop.

A bit petty if you ask me ;)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

So the problem is the worry that there may or may not be a problem sometime in the near or distant future.

Perhaps I am a tiny minority but I will not let the unknown future detach me from the present. The present in which the cash shop did not change the game's direction in any shape or form. We had items buyable outside the cash shop before, items that were slowly but surely increasingly introduced through means other than the cash shop. The trend started in 2012 and the current cash shop did not change a single thing about it (aside from having a centralized place for these items, which is a massive change indeed /s).

In 2012 we had items obtainable outside the game. In 2013 we had more items obtainable outside the game. in 2014 we will have more items obtainable outside the game. In 2015 we will have more items obtainable outside the game... For those with gripes about the cash shop it's not about the items you can (or can't) buy there, it's about the sole existence of an entity resembling a cash shop.

A bit petty if you ask me ;)

If the cash shop in FFXIV;ARR was like the one in Archeage, then yes, people would have valid complaints. As long as they don't go the route Trion did with their cash shop then i will continue to play FFXIV;ARR.image

Originally posted by Phry

If the cash shop in FFXIV;ARR was like the one in Archeage, then yes, people would have valid complaints. As long as they don't go the route Trion did with their cash shop then i will continue to play FFXIV;ARR.image

Absolutely.

• StrongladyStronglady Member UncommonPosts: 29

This is one of my favorite MMO's. Although I find it's a little boring after you've capped whatever you needed for the week. Its kind of boring and there's really nothing to do. As well the game is a little small and needs to improve their endgame with something more.

I want to do more just gather and and craft. I don't know maybe I'm just burnt out -- even after I just payed for a three month subscription... /sigh

Still love the game though, I'm just nit-picking and  the shop is kind of expensive for the mount but then again I've never really got into a MMO to the point where I wanna spend money for a mount.  Now that I look back at it has improved a lot since it relaunched. 

Give  it a little more time maybe you'll get into it again.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It's a game I'd recommend to people on the whole.  Have my own issues with it, but it'd be a disservice to those who may enjoy the game to mention them as they are pretty much because of personal preference.  But it's definitely a game that's worth getting to max level on and completing the main storyline with, at least.

Though with regards to your queue comment, it's usually only about 5-15 minutes for a queue on WoW for DPS.  Most of the time it's 5 minutes when I attempt (granted I'm usually a tank or a healer most of the time).  Lately DPS queues for FFXIV have been 200+ minutes due to them releasing Ninja and making it DPS as opposed to tank.

However I'd expect that to go down eventually and will give a tip to people on how to circumvent it when it comes to storyline progression.

1)  Try the party finder tool and specifically put that you need help with storyline progression for that dungeon.  Mark it as new players welcome and watch all cutscenes.

2)  Attempt to ask in chat if anyone will help with your storyline mission

3)  Join a Free Company that is active and willing to help new players.

4)  Don't be afraid to make friends.

5)  Make sure to pass it forward; if you get helped, make sure to help someone in the future and or return the favor to the one who helped you.

In addition, it's usually best to have at least one tank or healer class (you're able to have all classes level on one character) for the purpose of getting items for your other classes due to no queues when getting the currency to buy end game equipment.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Originally posted by Arcane4176
    Was gonna resub until i heard about the cash shop incoming as well why dont companies ever learn they have plenty of subs here and are making a killing but they still find a need to put in a cash shop. This is called greed and ruined many games.. Oh well i'll stick my current game. Boooo FFXIV what made you great just turned me away..You wont miss me and i wont miss you..

From what I read, they've pledged to use most if not all profits of the cash shop and put those funds back into the game.  Such as putting in new housing districts and the like.  This is something that I greatly support if there is truth to it.

Hopefully they may even come up with a way to make housing more accessible.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Do you still have to group to advance story?

That's what made me quit the first time.

Originally posted by Yaevindusk

From what I read, they've pledged to use most if not all profits of the cash shop and put those funds back into the game.  Such as putting in new housing districts and the like.  This is something that I greatly support if there is truth to it.

Isn't this kind of jumping the shark? At least on my server (3rd largest EU server) there's a lot of plots available and it's been two weeks since the patch. It'll be 2 to 2,5 millions of gil for the plots in a few weeks. If you cannot gather that little money you don't deserve a house. The housing needs not be any more accessible than it already is. People just cannot put in the smallest effort and that kind of attitude shouldn't be encouraged by giving out welfare houses.

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Isn't this kind of jumping the shark? At least on my server (3rd largest EU server) there's a lot of plots available and it's been two weeks since the patch. It'll be 2 to 2,5 millions of gil for the plots in a few weeks. If you cannot gather that little money you don't deserve a house. The housing needs not be any more accessible than it already is. People just cannot put in the smallest effort and that kind of attitude shouldn't be encouraged by giving out welfare houses.

The server I played on always had a fair queue to getting into it; the small houses were taken up as soon as it came up.  In addition, the ability to own multiple houses poses a problem as my Free Company had someone purchase five houses right off the bat.  I was tempted to buy a Large House for each of my eight characters (there actually a medium one that I really like the position of as well), but decided the way they went about housing was (in my opinion) a mismanagement as a whole.

There were more intelligent ways to handle this distribution of assets.  In FFXI they sold airship tickets for a great sum of gil or allowed someone to perform certain quests; they also gave free rooms, of which you now require a Free Company and 300,000 gil to purchase.  Indeed, they could have made the separate housing districts added -- the subplots -- able to be claimed through real hard work either through challenges or time rather than get home from work only to feel like one is going back to it by making virtual money after making real.

Level 50

Difficult quest

Time investment at your own pace and without monetary saving in addition to the difficult quest.

This would instantly bring down the amount of houses needed as it has loft requirements.  But it could be a different path to owning a house in addition to simply paying if you don't want to work for it.  Heck, they could've even had some type of phasing technology or found something similar, much like how WoW is giving everyone their own garrison so long as their character is level 90 and has the expansion.  Being two different games, it's obviously not the same... but the idea is, and they could've come up with better solutions themselves.

In fact, one could go as far as to say that simply paying gil is too easy; you are either the 1% or not when it comes to most aspects of it.  The 1% has to do nothing -- I had hundreds of millions of gil going into 2.0 even with the 90% reduction due to multiple characters and being a part of gil making linkshells.  I've made thrice that easily since due to having everything maxed when the game started on multiple characters, having two accounts, and obtaining extra retainers.  To add to this, I did practically no work and made anywhere between 2.5-5 million nightly mainly do to complex macros and a check list of materials I needed to stock once a month.

I did not earn my house; I did not earn my FC's house(s).  I paid for them in full, but I did nothing compared to the hard work others are doing just to scrounge by.  Friends who spent 7 hours farming a day just to sell things that may net them 100,000 gil in a few day's time, if the market is favorable.  Only to see it vanish instantly due to other expenses.  This represented far too much of real life to be a fantasy game or an MMO that should be (in my opinion) about entertainment and forgetting this 99% or whatever nonsense -- at least when it comes to a big feature within the game.

This also brings about problems with older servers that should never have been.  Once servers were merged and transfers became open, it's safe to assume that economies have matured on most all realms.  Every server has their 1%, but on older servers prices are much higher than on newer ones.  Which means people have to work twice or even three times as hard.  Fine for the first round, perhaps.  But there were many accounts -- far before even alpha -- where the Producer Director said that the cost of a house will be no more than what you can make on two play throughs of the entire storyline.  I don't know about you, but I've never made tens and tens of millions of gil by collecting storyline only quest rewards.  He reaffirmed this multiple times, even up to the launch.

In addition to that, he again confirmed that prices will be much lower than Free Company housing once Free Company housing was introduced and said that we should all "please look forward to it".  Now his latest quote is that he was take out of context or that there was a miscommunication in translation.  This is an insult of the player base's intelligence, especially for those of us who have read every.  single.  detail.  about the game's production starting from when the new team took over in 1.0 and participated in forum discussion and voted on what we'd like to see in 2.0.

Though I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I perhaps bias towards Yoshi-P due to another promise he made -- multiple times -- to magazines and forum posters in the old 1.0 forums and alpha forums.  That there will be a RP server.  That he was an RPer himself.  Six month until launch, silence.  Every month there was a post asking for an update; one community manager saying that it's being discussed and we'll know soon.  Never again was there a post. 

Constant lying have I seen that made me a bit jaded.  Yet, I stuck with the game from the beginning.  I would stick with it beyond, I said.  The game was turning out great besides -- had a lot of problems at launch -- but by the first patch or two it was definitely worth P2P in my eyes.  Though, of course, I had two legacy accounts.

But I digress, the way they handled the housing issue is deplorable and counter intuitive to their overall goal of being an accessible and entertaining game.  Gil does not equal challenge, and vasts sums of it is simply an annoyance when most people have to do insane amounts of work while the 1% just sit back and snicker.   I personally bought several dozen rooms for friends in our mansion; I was saying "oh yeah, I have all these quotes and such, Yoshi-P, man... making the dream game, the Final Fantasy we deserve!"  I made them all of their furniture.  But now my main RP partner has quit, most of my friends have, and I'm left only with remember of the myriad of "pretty talk" that was given just to get people interested.

That said, I don't think FFXIV or SE is the worst company out there.  I don't think they rip people off.  Many MMO companies set out to do this, but I honestly think Square Enix is not one of them at present.  I just don't trust Yoshi-P anymore and have issues with the game that are more personal than anything.  He may have his reasons; he may have his data and know the costs of having districts and creating new systems... but he no longer has my respect in this light.  The game itself is fantastic in a lot of ways.  But I've no reason to continue supporting it even with my massive discount until the next expansion comes out, out of personal morals that I don't expect others to believe in or even understand.  But once you lose that trust, it's simply time to move on until it is perhaps earned back in different ways or by fixing what you feel wronged you or the community.

This is why I merely left my personal belief out in my two posts above.  Because they're personal and I don't expect people to understand them or even believe in them themselves.