Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dang, I think this game might be dying on the Vine!

1235»

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,193
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Zarf42
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Pretty sure they want the game accessible to all ages, which makes sense given the shallow combat and the extreme cartoon look. You can have stylized cartoon graphics, but these are aimed at kids too much. Pretty sure that is what they intended though (child audience). The combat is so horrid IMO I don't even care about the graphics. There will be other games coming, just not a new EQ that we hoped for.

    The game is a year or 2 from release. Who knows what the game will actually be? I don't understand people's obsession with saying they don't like a game that isn't even playable yet. Why would SOE make a game aimed at 30 year olds that are so full of themselves and so stuck in whatever game they played in 1999 that they will never be satisfied? 

    You must be new to gaming if you believe it will drastically change in a year or 2. Bookmark this thread and let us know how much it changes once released. It's been in development for years already, they will not be making drastic changes to it.

    That's exactly the problem I outlined, people assume that the game will either be "drastically different' or "exactly the same" but they never make the leap to "better more robust version of what is shown".

     

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Zarf42
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Pretty sure they want the game accessible to all ages, which makes sense given the shallow combat and the extreme cartoon look. You can have stylized cartoon graphics, but these are aimed at kids too much. Pretty sure that is what they intended though (child audience). The combat is so horrid IMO I don't even care about the graphics. There will be other games coming, just not a new EQ that we hoped for.

    The game is a year or 2 from release. Who knows what the game will actually be? I don't understand people's obsession with saying they don't like a game that isn't even playable yet. Why would SOE make a game aimed at 30 year olds that are so full of themselves and so stuck in whatever game they played in 1999 that they will never be satisfied? 

    You must be new to gaming if you believe it will drastically change in a year or 2. Bookmark this thread and let us know how much it changes once released. It's been in development for years already, they will not be making drastic changes to it.

    That's exactly the problem I outlined, people assume that the game will either be "drastically different' or "exactly the same" but they never make the leap to "better more robust version of what is shown".

    Honestly, this is why we don't tend to see big-budget innovative games. EQN / EQL is one of the most ambitious games in recent years. However, that lends itself to a number of problems:

    1) They need to show interest in the game in order to keep it funded. However, most gamers are used to seeing games in 'beta', that are actually nearly ready to launch. Most people have long since forgotten what it's like to actually test a game and guide it's creation from inception to launch. They expect all the features to be in place, if buggy, but playable. EQN isn't doing that, and it's very obvious if people would only pay attention to the reveals.

    2) As a result of the above, they were forced to essentially 'show their hand' too early. People wanted this game, Sony gave is it in a very early state, and now people are treating it like a launched product, and assuming it's dead. And ironically enough, we may cause that very outcome, depending on how certain factors play out.

    - People need to keep in mind at how ambitious this project actually is. We still haven't seen one of the largest aspects of the game that will essentially make or break whether or not this game will actually be worth playing. I'm referring to the AI that they've been talking about for years now.

    The peaces are coming together one by one, but I don't think people understand this. Even scarier, I don't think most people have even tried to comprehend what all these features might PLAY like in their final conclusion. Atm the game seems like it will have really awesome creation tools, (if they pull it out) sophisticated mob UI, and (arguably) decent pvp. If there's going to be anything else to this game, we haven't seen / heard about it yet.

    I'm definitely worried that this game will be another Starbound (on a much larger scale). By the time it gets released (which I'm assuming is probably going to be early-mid 2017), people will have already played around w/ all the creation tools. So what's to keep them playing after that?

  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Mensur
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    The Walt Disney style killed this game for me.

    Ditto!

    the style is awesome! they did a fantastic job on that - wasnt that impressed by graphics and artstyle in a loonoong time...maybe we will get more female players too which is a big plus for diversity. Furthermore there are more than enough "realistic looking mmo's" out there that you can play - play eso if you want or eq2.

  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284
    Find a slot between GW2/FF14 and Black Desert and you'll win the day,

    So basically make another Eastern style game? I appreciate the style of those three, along with the many other games that share a similar look, but they aren't what SOE is going for. To me it's like suggesting that Big Hero 6 look like Akira. Simply different styles that people either enjoy as individual efforts or not. While I hope there is a bit more "darkness" or whatever to EQN, I would never want it to look like any other game/style just because. SOE could of picked any style they wanted for EQN, nothing forced them to go with what they did. It fits their overall game design of having "heroic" characters, that show emotion, and that is accessible to a large audience, on top of voxels and what not. While obviously it isn't for everyone, I think it will have a broader appeal then Black Desert for example.

  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

    Action combat will never be the future on MMORPGs. Constantly shoving it down peoples throats doesnt make it so. It is shallow and built for people who have short attention spans that require something flashy to happen every second. There is a reason why the most popular games are tab targeting and a reason why those same games have the most staying power. Ever notice how all these action MMORPGs go f2p practically overnight or how they release as f2p? There is a reason for it.. Wildstar is next.. ESO will probably hold out but it isnt over the top action like the other games.

    Might want to look at the list of upcoming mmorpgs or games in general, action combat everywhere. They are the future of gaming as they are literally the upcoming games. F2P is also the future as seen by the current stock of games and upcoming ones, reason being is it is more profitable for companies.

    I'm curious what mmorpgs you've played that are designed with people with long attention spans? What games don't have you hitting a button fairly often to do something? As a fan of being engaged and actually doing something in games instead of hitting auto attack and going to find a snack, glad I've missed these games.

  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

    Action combat will never be the future on MMORPGs. Constantly shoving it down peoples throats doesnt make it so. It is shallow and built for people who have short attention spans that require something flashy to happen every second. There is a reason why the most popular games are tab targeting and a reason why those same games have the most staying power. Ever notice how all these action MMORPGs go f2p practically overnight or how they release as f2p? There is a reason for it.. Wildstar is next.. ESO will probably hold out but it isnt over the top action like the other games.

    Might want to look at the list of upcoming mmorpgs or games in general, action combat everywhere. They are the future of gaming as they are literally the upcoming games. F2P is also the future as seen by the current stock of games and upcoming ones, reason being is it is more profitable for companies.

    I'm curious what mmorpgs you've played that are designed with people with long attention spans? What games don't have you hitting a button fairly often to do something? As a fan of being engaged and actually doing something in games instead of hitting auto attack and going to find a snack, glad I've missed these games.

    i would agree to that...action combat is

    more engaging

    more dynamic

    better suited for all gaming systems (pc, consoles)

    benefits skill over (cookie cutter) routines

    widens the possibilities away from the holy trinity possible

    gives you more control and possibilities over your character

    can give the combat more "oomph"

     

    gw2, teso, tera - they all go into the right direction but one thing you need to realize - games had yeeeears to perfect tab targeting  -and the system is really easy...to do action combat right is harder, and it takes some time to nail it down

     

    ....instead of tab target combat i can also enjoy and excel workshop and have about as much fun...

  • RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by Mensur
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    The Walt Disney style killed this game for me.

    Ditto!

    the style is awesome! they did a fantastic job on that - wasnt that impressed by graphics and artstyle in a loonoong time...maybe we will get more female players too which is a big plus for diversity. Furthermore there are more than enough "realistic looking mmo's" out there that you can play - play eso if you want or eq2.

    Nice assumption on female preference there, most female gamers I've played with get bored with cartoon graphics just as much as men do. And the ladies I've played Archeage with spend most their time drooling over the realistic graphics.

     

    From what I've seen in eqn the cartoonish graphics are a turn off for me personally. They remind me of a playstation game....oh wait!

  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

    yeah right...the stylized graphics get old fast but the realistic look ages really well...not...

     

    and aa as a good example? rly? if i cant see one thing anymore than its asia-armor-bikinis and overly sexualized little grils with fluffy ears and tails

  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Rivol
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by Mensur
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    The Walt Disney style killed this game for me.

    Ditto!

    the style is awesome! they did a fantastic job on that - wasnt that impressed by graphics and artstyle in a loonoong time...maybe we will get more female players too which is a big plus for diversity. Furthermore there are more than enough "realistic looking mmo's" out there that you can play - play eso if you want or eq2.

    Nice assumption on female preference there, most female gamers I've played with get bored with cartoon graphics just as much as men do. And the ladies I've played Archeage with spend most their time drooling over the realistic graphics.

     

    From what I've seen in eqn the cartoonish graphics are a turn off for me personally. They remind me of a playstation game....oh wait!

    Its just another of those assumptions, that Women somehow have a different aesthetic sense to Men, when really its about age groups, perhaps younger people (both Male and Female) probably like Cartoon stylisations, but, for the most part, as get older, they grow out of it, or it becomes less appealing generally.

    That doesn't mean unable to appreciate something for how they look, i think as get older you tend to appreciate things more, from in game landscapes to real ones, the problems with 'stylised' games is that the character models often don't mesh with the games graphics, and by that i mean the 'landscapes' and by standing apart they just end up looking ridiculous.image

  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Rivol
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by Mensur
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    The Walt Disney style killed this game for me.

    Ditto!

    the style is awesome! they did a fantastic job on that - wasnt that impressed by graphics and artstyle in a loonoong time...maybe we will get more female players too which is a big plus for diversity. Furthermore there are more than enough "realistic looking mmo's" out there that you can play - play eso if you want or eq2.

    Nice assumption on female preference there, most female gamers I've played with get bored with cartoon graphics just as much as men do. And the ladies I've played Archeage with spend most their time drooling over the realistic graphics.

     

    From what I've seen in eqn the cartoonish graphics are a turn off for me personally. They remind me of a playstation game....oh wait!

    Its just another of those assumptions, that Women somehow have a different aesthetic sense to Men, when really its about age groups, perhaps younger people (both Male and Female) probably like Cartoon stylisations, but, for the most part, as get older, they grow out of it, or it becomes less appealing generally.

    That doesn't mean unable to appreciate something for how they look, i think as get older you tend to appreciate things more, from in game landscapes to real ones, the problems with 'stylised' games is that the character models often don't mesh with the games graphics, and by that i mean the 'landscapes' and by standing apart they just end up looking ridiculous.image

    now you assume as well...

    besides the models for eqn seem to fit nicely with the landscape - its coherent and unique

    realsitic characters in mmo's mostly look shitty - everyone has the same face and same facial expression - non... and if you would assume that younger people enjoy the stylized look more (which is exactly the contrary for myself) what kind of assumption would you have to make on which part of the population exactly like oversexualized litte girls...? old pervi guys?

    i think its good that we get a variety of different styles and looks and eqn has quite a unique style to it and that is good - we dont need all realistic mmo's, we dont need all stylized mmo's, we dont need all tab targets mmo's and we dont need all action combat mmo's - we need diversity, innovation and guts

     

    i can name a lot of single players games that look realy good with realistic look....name one mmo that does? oh yea, black desert...which hasnt released yet, and besides all the mail bikinis, cute litle cat pets and eptileptic combat that is...

     

    if somone can deliver a mmo with black desert level of graphics, that plays smoothly even during heated pvp battles, without all the asian awfulness - hell im gonna play it... but before this happens my priorities are set smoothness > non asian awfulness > realistic look

  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

    but try to stay focused on hating them for the things they actually screwed up. Hint: Vanguard isn't one of them.

    to give the hint, the Force was not with SOE 10y ago.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 8,005
    I am over fifty and female and have never had any problems with cartoon aesthetics in fact I love them. I loved Wildstar but hated the combat so I left. No issue with tab targetting since I target with my mouse usually but I dislike action combat . I have poor reflexes so it puts me at a disadvantage so I think this game will be a pass for me.

  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by Spankster77

    For starters we are talking about SoE which is the same company that completely ruined Vanguard. 

    Ah yes, this tired, old, incorrect excuse to hate on SOE.

    Vanguard was not "completely ruined" by SOE, it was saved by SOE.

    Just as a little example, if not for SOE, players characters in Vanguard would not have been able to wear helmets (well, any form of headgear at all really), as SIGIL could not get them in game.

    If not for SOE, there would have been no Vanguard at all.

    A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    it´s not finished, be patient
Sign In or Register to comment.