Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look at this pure awesomeness

13»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

For me, it was the whole nod-to-pedophiles thing.

Creeped me out a bit. Just couldn't do it.

Me too, I hate the Elin and their pedo-bear companion race. Is this some Korean thing? Cause it is really creepy.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

For me, it was the whole nod-to-pedophiles thing.

Creeped me out a bit. Just couldn't do it.

Me too, I hate the Elin and their pedo-bear companion race. Is this some Korean thing? Cause it is really creepy.

+1

great game, but fighting doe-eyed little girls in school-girl outfits ruined it for me. Even worse, when I lost to'em.

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89

Though Elins certainly were a little weird. When it comes to immersion, I find it unusual all these MMOs where you see nothing but players as perfectly-sculptured, in-prime-age, perfect human beings. Or whatever race... Clearly there should be limitations, a 5 year old fighting? Too young. 95 year old fighting? Too old. Elins seem to be about a 10-12 year old girl (though they are several hundred years old lore-wise) and that seems on the extreme low end to me. I see no reason why there can't be 14-16 scrawny "teens" as playable characters and all the way up to 60 somethings or 70 somethings old wizards and such. If the game even includes stats based on age and physical fitness that would awesome, clearly a teen and a 60 something would not be as strong as your typical mid to late 20s human character that has spent the last decade working out 8 hours a day.

Also, poporis are the best race in MMORPG history and I am always disappointed when I check out a new MMO only to find out I have to play a 5-7' tall humanoid. Dwarves are chill, I suppose.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Calling itself an action combat game yet locking you down during combat. I made an archer and it sucks. GW2 lets you moving around dodging during combat. It was the second mmo that i was pumped enough to pre order based on the action combat lie.

This "action combat" but then having rooting mechanics is kind of meh, who ever invented rooting should be shot!

Another reason why it is niche.  I enjoyed having to think ahead with my abilities.  Will I have time to pull off this giant slam or should I just stab him a little bit more?  It has a Risk vs. Reward in it that some folks find very enjoyable.  Just because you don't, doesn't mean it's bad.

........snip....Most people play RPGs instead of Action-RPGs because they focus on the strategical tactical aspects rather than the twitch-decision making aspects of an action RPG.

Pretty much this. I like strategy too but I feel that in an action mmo the "strategy" should be more twitch based as in knowing when to run when not to, knowing which skill slows you down some etc etc but this rooting thing is just lame IMO. 

Then again I found Mortal Kombat and the like just got really boring once you learned the moves and timings, strategy my behind.

I mean I loved games like FF tactics, vandal hearts etc so it's not a case of I don't want to "think".

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Seems to me it makes perfect sense for an archer not to move while charging a shot. Charging I see as something like aiming. It requires all your attention, and it would be difficult to move very much while doing it. If you couldn't move at all while in combat, that would be bad, but you can skip about plenty except when lining up a shot, and it feels reasonable to me.
  • HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by grimal

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of fighting games like Street Fighter where you're ALWAYS rooted in place when you attack, and part of the huge gameplay comes from making sure you don't idiotically spam your attacks and leave yourself open.  In this regards, I see the whole rooting thing in TERA more of a gameplay style thing, just like Street Fighter, than a flaw.

To a lesser extent, there's rooting mechanics in Diablo and Diablo-esque games too (sure, your attack speed is fast enough that it's not that big a deal, but you still need to think and stop attacking when the time comes to dodge or run away).  I figure rooting mechanics are one of the primary things that separate an action RPG from a non-action RPG.

Still, I can understand why that'd be niche for an MMORPG.  Most people play MMORPGss so they can sit back and relax a bit.  Most people play RPGs instead of Action-RPGs because they focus on the strategical tactical aspects rather than the twitch-decision making aspects of an action RPG.

The standing in place never bothered my either, but I too am also a fan of SF2 :)

Me either, I have no problem with Tera's combat. For me it's pretty much the best out there. Having said that, I've never liked the higgledy piggledy "let me be constantly on the move and never stop" combat that some people seem to enjoy.

I couldn't agree more. Also, I find it destroys the animations and makes it look wonky. With all the stupid looking body twisting going on.

The animations have power behind them. As a zerker I absolutely feel I'm swinging something heavy. And when that weapon comes crashing down...so sweet!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Herzy
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by grimal

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of fighting games like Street Fighter where you're ALWAYS rooted in place when you attack, and part of the huge gameplay comes from making sure you don't idiotically spam your attacks and leave yourself open.  In this regards, I see the whole rooting thing in TERA more of a gameplay style thing, just like Street Fighter, than a flaw.

To a lesser extent, there's rooting mechanics in Diablo and Diablo-esque games too (sure, your attack speed is fast enough that it's not that big a deal, but you still need to think and stop attacking when the time comes to dodge or run away).  I figure rooting mechanics are one of the primary things that separate an action RPG from a non-action RPG.

Still, I can understand why that'd be niche for an MMORPG.  Most people play MMORPGss so they can sit back and relax a bit.  Most people play RPGs instead of Action-RPGs because they focus on the strategical tactical aspects rather than the twitch-decision making aspects of an action RPG.

The standing in place never bothered my either, but I too am also a fan of SF2 :)

Me either, I have no problem with Tera's combat. For me it's pretty much the best out there. Having said that, I've never liked the higgledy piggledy "let me be constantly on the move and never stop" combat that some people seem to enjoy.

I couldn't agree more. Also, I find it destroys the animations and makes it look wonky. With all the stupid looking body twisting going on.

The animations have power behind them. As a zerker I absolutely feel I'm swinging something heavy. And when that weapon comes crashing down...so sweet!

Yep, same with Slayers. Huge ass sword which takes a while to swing but once it comes crashing down... so beautiful. Have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMOvaN407cY&list=UUe2FTU0537rZQ2X9GZneuWA