Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Carbine Employees Trash Wildstar Dev on Career-Building Site

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    The reality is they lost their jobs and like every situation you must accept that part of the vitriol is from the loss.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Meh, what employee is satisfied with their superiors? Especially the ex-employee...

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I have no doubt that carbine's management is just as cocky as everyone else. I feel bad for the people working under them.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by FleshMask

Employees at Carbine studios as the worst place to work in MMORPG development.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138349-Carbine-Studios-Employees-Give-Negative-Reviews-to-Developer-of-Wildstar-MMO?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news

Thoughts and comments?

Thoughts?

How do these complaints compare to similar companies on the site? Are there other game companies of similar size that have significantly higher results/comments?

Or is this par for the course for disgruntled employees or is this par for the course for game studios?

If there are similar companies (and not just one which would be an anomaly ) that have significantly higher comments, results then "yes" it would appear that Carbine is horrible.

If similar companies garner similar comments/results then it's either the nature of the beast for laid off/former employees or it's the nature of the beast for game developers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86

I hated Wildstar but those employee complaints aren't even that bad. Boys club lol? That's like complaining Kragen Auto Parts is a boys club. Of course it is, MMO's have a 95% male population. It's made for men by men and you're surprised it's a boys club???

They need to fire everyone involved with the light show combat system if this game wants to go anywhere. Hopefully they're amongst the 60 that were canned.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    He must of found something he liked if he stayed 5 years.................
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Gregor999

I hated Wildstar but those employee complaints aren't even that bad. Boys club lol? That's like complaining Kragen Auto Parts is a boys club. Of course it is, MMO's have a 95% male population. It's made for men by men and you're surprised it's a boys club???

They need to fire everyone involved with the light show combat system if this game wants to go anywhere. Hopefully they're amongst the 60 that were canned.

I think you are still living in 2000. Might want to Google a bit more about that subject, because especially in the last 5 years women have been flooding the gaming industry. This is one of the reasons GamerGate has hit mainstream news and media outlets. I know the male numbers still make up a majority in gaming, but it is more like a 60-40, 70-30 divide now.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

To be fair.... Objectivity from employees on a company that just had to lay-off 60 people is going to be rather hard.

However, I think many of those problems are common in large gaming companies, by the time you manage to climb to the top of the pile your so far far from the ground floor that you have no idea what's going on. So instead of acutally making plans and goals based on real data from the people who work on it. Your making generalizations based on game direction and finacial time-lines. All of which lead to bad decsicions, impossible dead-lines and programers working 70 hours weeks to push out sub-par products. 

Look at EA.....

Look at NCsoft....

Look at Sony...... 

Look at Activision.....

Yes they are still making "successful" games but when is the last time you really looked at one of those compaines and went.... Damn that was a REALLY good move. 

COD: Ghosts?

Launching BF4 2 years after BF3?

The current EQ:N and EQ:L debacle 

The 6-8 weeks announcement on H1z1?

The Ultra-fail that was Wildstar(fun game, but run terribly)

If you check out that top 2014 10 MMO games list floating around you'll notice that only 3 of the items on that list are from one of the "AAA" companies.

with 1 being a 10 year old WoW

another being the 16 year old Lineage 1

The only one you should even count is Hearthstone, and it was at sitting at 10. 

Those don't paint the entire picture of the industry I know, but i think it's safe to say they arn't living up to their potential. 

Think of what Star-citizen could be with the money that EA threw at TOR. 

Look at what a games like Camelot Unchained or Life is Fuedal are doing with budgets that are <10mil...  Activision and SoE couldn't even give their Project Leads a X-mas bounus with that. 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    It could explain how the game turned out.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Sounds very similar to ArenaNet's GlassDoor.

Guess we know where NC Soft stands amongst employees in the industry.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

. I know the male numbers still make up a majority in gaming, but it is more like a 60-40, 70-30 divide now.

You must be joking. Yes, there are more female gamers now as there are more gamers in general, but to think there was some crazy explosion to level the playing field between male and female gamers thinking its 60:40 or 70:30 is insane.

It's more like 85:15. The only reason people even think this is because "cam girls" found a new niche with streaming websites like twitch and so a ton of females are streaming just to rake in easy money from desperate guys who like their boobs even if they're not even showing them off, they know they're still gonna get easy tips/views just for that fact.

Disclaimer: I'm not calling every female streamer a cam girl, just that a lot of cam girls moved to streaming games cause its easy money and all they have to do is play a game, don't even have to play it well.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Tracho12
    Sounds very similar to ArenaNet's GlassDoor.

Guess we know where NC Soft stands amongst employees in the industry.

A company treating its foreign employees badly. Who would have thought! (Remember NCSoft is Korean so the US is a foreign country to them and generally they don't care about us.)

• Grimlock22Grimlock22 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

. I know the male numbers still make up a majority in gaming, but it is more like a 60-40, 70-30 divide now.

You must be joking. Yes, there are more female gamers now as there are more gamers in general, but to think there was some crazy explosion to level the playing field between male and female gamers thinking its 60:40 or 70:30 is insane.

It's more like 85:15. The only reason people even think this is because "cam girls" found a new niche with streaming websites like twitch and so a ton of females are streaming just to rake in easy money from desperate guys who like their boobs even if they're not even showing them off, they know they're still gonna get easy tips/views just for that fact.

Disclaimer: I'm not calling every female streamer a cam girl, just that a lot of cam girls moved to streaming games cause its easy money and all they have to do is play a game, don't even have to play it well.

Uhm, about your weird misogyny here...

Long story short - do your research. The MMO population does, actually have a lot of "real" gamer "girls" (or, as we tend to call ourselves, women). No, most of them do not do the "cam girl" thing, but I know plenty of bro-dude-bros that do and think it makes them hardcore gamers.

Yeah, actually, the split is closer to 60-40 in most MMOs now. Hate to burst your boy's club bubble, but it's a real problem in the industry, hence the backlash from that whole GamerGate bs.

Source?   I have to say I'm HIGHLY Skeptical that women now make up anywhere close to 40% of MMO players.  We can all agree that the number of female gamers has increased, but I also doubt it's close to 50/50 yet, and probably won't be for a long time.

hmmmm....I stand corrected.  According to this survey, women account for 34% and men 66% of MMO players.  

http://t.joystiq.com/all/2014-10-27-report-men-play-more-mmos-fpses-women-rule-mobile-rpg#1

much closer than I would have guessed.

Me Grimlock King!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Most folks who work in the games industry are not going to air the dirty laundry in public.  Makes too much trouble getting another job, because other companies do take note.   Without actually talking to those people off the record, the only place you will get more of the unvarnished story is on places like Glassdoor, etc.  

I know a number of people from the industry, and the tales I hear of middle and upper management mismanagement are legion.    Inclines me to suspect that some of these Carbine tales are true.

If you want to see real incredible awfulness, go and read the Glassdoor accounts from Gibson Guitars employees ....          

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have a feeling it used to be fun working for an mmo company but ever since Wow started making the kind of money they do. The suits took over and it is probably like working in a sweat shop like one employee said. Rushed out products half finished and the don't give a dam what the costumer thinks  from the managers on top. Truthfully if you have to work in that type of place and you love gaming it must really suck.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I've never seen a public fallout of a development studio like this. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Who has made the most money ? >>> Blizzard and who has most likely had the most employees leave?I don't know the numbers of course but i do know there has been a TON leave Blizzard including a lot leaving just the Wow game .So if Blizzard makes so much money and everything is all good,why leave that kind of comfort level and security?I think the answer is obvious,they don't treat their employees all that great,unless of course the very high up ones...aka management/salaries.

EA had that huge lawsuit that sadly left EA paying not nearly what was owed but gave in on a settlement.Nobody came forth to say anything until they had a solid case and a lawyer willing to challenge EA and that  is not an easy thing to do.Just imagine how much these developers actually rip off their employees that never makes it to court or to the public's eye.

There is a LOT of injustice going on out there a lot of corrupt activities including perhaps the biggest >>>Hasbro.

What seems to be a common trend is that law often shows it's corrupt face,it seems to protect the guilty more than the innocent.This is because it is almost always a "settlement" here take some of what we owe you and make sure we come off as the good guy in the press release.

We have seen MANY to employees/CEO supposedly quit or resign when it looked more than obvious they were told to resign but as  usual the developer saves face and writes that employee a note of good standing in exchange the fired employee writes a positive letter to the press.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Wizardry

So if Blizzard makes so much money and everything is all good,why leave that kind of comfort level and security?I think the answer is obvious,they don't treat their employees all that great,unless of course the very high up ones...aka management/salaries.

...or they do not leave but are fired. Obvious?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I've never seen a public fallout of a development studio like this. 

Sigil Games and 38 Studios both come to mind...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ex employees are going to be extremely bitter.

This thread should not be on this site - because every company has nasty ex-employee glass door reviews.

Its pointless.

I absolutely disagree, DMK. If it's related to MMOs, even tangentially, it should be fair game for discussion here. As long as it is subject to reasonable moderation, as long as its presentation and arguments are decently sound and decently persuasive, then it should be allowed. If there is a fundamental undermining component in an argument--downsized employees often retaliate by badmouthing employers, for instance--then let's trust that the resulting discussion will give that aspect its due consideration. Whether or not the discussion is ultimately fruitful should be determined by the discussion and not arbitrary hard editorial impassable lines that preempt what I think is really the whole point of having forums here--debate and discussion on the subject of MMO's and related topics.

I personally find the Glass Door entries in question to be believable. I do not read any particular malice beyond what would be expected if what is being reported is true; moreover, the entries seem quite respectful and even considerate (especially regarding fellow employess). Also, I surely think it's hard to deny that Wildstar's many hiccups do not add some credibility to these type of behind-the-scenes insights. To be fair though, I will acknowledge that I would not qualify anything I read in the entries as proof positive that Carbine is a bad company, and I would urge others not to view it that way based merely on this evidence.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I don't think you understand what they mean by "Boy's Club".

The complete term is "Good Old Boy's Club" which comes from the expression "Good Old Boy"

It means upper management hired or promoted people who didn't deserve it based on the old "Who you know" concept, passing over people who should have gotten the job.

• Cold7comfortCold7comfort Member Posts: 8

they say a lot of things. but where is the proof of it???

when I read a newspaper I know that there is something else happen.

money exchanged... business exchanged... someone is earning more money..... lies and lies....

give a recording and more proof not just words.

maybe the former employees got paid to talk bullshit about a dev?

happened before in many games.

and if a dev had to leave because of health family well could be nice to look into what is going on.

maybe one of his family member got cancer? maybe he worked over time and don't feel well....

its extremely amateurism to write an article but have no proof of what you write.

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    How does one prove an opinion?
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

From the article

-Abysmal wages, morale, and job security.
    -Astonishingly inept resource allocation.
    -Disregard for employee and player incentives
    -Inability to put the word to the deed: deadlines routinely missed, poor quality assurance, sweatshop workplace conditions.
    -Amateurish design, management, PR.
    -Boys' club.

Plenty points to prove how bad this company acts.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by mayito7777

From the article

-Abysmal wages, morale, and job security.
    -Astonishingly inept resource allocation.
    -Disregard for employee and player incentives
    -Inability to put the word to the deed: deadlines routinely missed, poor quality assurance, sweatshop workplace conditions.
    -Amateurish design, management, PR.
    -Boys' club.

Plenty points to prove how bad this company acts.

Say what you want about former employees being bitter.

But the above does reflects how the game (and even website) was handled at launch. Not to mention how their PR attitude was displayed.

This discussion has been closed.