Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twitch TV now bans nude, suggestive streaming

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,142

Article written by Doug Gross over at CNN

Apparently the feminist movement in gaming is gaining stride as they battle the inequality of how females are represented in the gaming industry. I'm not sure how this works in a virtual world, but at least for now, no more seductive or nude streaming on Twitch TV. I understand why some are striving for a better environment for all gamers, but we'll see just how far this goes to revamping games like GTA, Tomb Raider or other games involving mature content.

Comments

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I don't see the issue here,  To much PC from amazon :/
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I think OP is making a slippery slope fallacy argument here. I am not comfortable with people who make streaming videos while  half naked and exploiting their physical "virtues". It's sleazy and unfair to those who are genuinely trying to make good quality content. Sexual content in a game is completely different as it is part of the purpose of the stream to show the game as it is.  

There's nothing to actually indicate that this will lead to censoring game content.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Apparently the feminist movement in gaming is gaining stride as they battle the inequality of how females are represented in the gaming industry. I'm not sure how this works in a virtual world, but at least for now, no more seductive or nude streaming on Twitch TV. I understand why some are striving for a better environment for all gamers, but we'll see just how far this goes to revamping games like GTA, Tomb Raider or other games involving mature content.

I doubt that has anything to do with it.  A lot of the twitch casters have " sub goals " and do stuff for donations, and adding this policy just stops the problem of " nudity " type goals from happening in the future.  

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,142
    Originally posted by iridescence

I think OP is making a slippery slope fallacy argument here. I am not comfortable with people who make streaming videos while  half naked and exploiting their physical "virtues". It's sleazy and unfair to those who are genuinely trying to make good quality content. Sexual content in a game is completely different as it is part of the purpose of the stream to show the game as it is.  

There's nothing to actually indicate that this will lead to censoring game content.

Well, seeing as what is happening with Twitch TV stems from what the movement has been fighting for. Then consider what Anita Sarkeesian originally set out to do with the gaming industry as a whole, I think it's safe to say, it's headed in exactly that direction. However, I don't understand how you can regulate equality in a virtual environment, but I won't put it past someone to try and get it regulated. Only time will tell.

Originally posted by thinktank001

I doubt that has anything to do with it.  A lot of the twitch casters have " sub goals " and do stuff for donations, and adding this policy just stops the problem of " nudity " type goals from happening in the future.  

Try reading the article first, it clearly states why these bans are being enforced.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Tomb Raider was already revamped . . . It's the female uncharted now, and quite good.

Feminism doesn't mean removal of everything, it means not just using females in a singular manner (aka sex object). For example, you'll still have hookers in GTA, and you'll likely still be able to kill them after sexoring them, but women may be present in other areas of the game as more rounded characters.

It's not a binary scenario like people seem to think. Last of Us, for example, is pretty progressive in it's characters. Would it have been a better game if Ellie was a 19 year old with a slammin body wearing a bikini the whole time?

As for twitch, I didn't look at this change as a feminist change. I thought of it as finally cracking down on women who offer poor content, but have viewers because of how they dress & look. I dunno, as a guy, I kinda think it's exploitative of male gamers. These women know that a good portion of their audience is desperate, single, and lonely men and they prey on that. They're not doing anything worthwhile in terms of gaming, but they do get donations for basically existing while female.

It's the double edge sword for women. If you don't want to be objectified, too bad, it's gonna happen constantly. If you do want to be objectified, well you can monetize that.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

So you're telling me 90% of 'female gamer's" will lose all their followers?

Originally posted by Lazzaro

Depends if they only gained followers because of what they were wearing and not what they were discussing.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

yeah they got me :(

haha

So wait, the feminists don´t allow women to stream in a bikini anymore? What´s that, radical cut down of freedom, total takeover of the glorious west?

Wouldn´t be surprised tbh, dictatorship incoming

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Try reading the article first, it clearly states why these bans are being enforced.

I decided to read it and it was another clueless article making a ridiculous accusation that Twitch's nudity policy has something to do with gamergate, which has nothing to do with feminism.

IMHO, Twitch probably updated their policy because they don't want to deal with the slippery slope of " nudity " for subs/donations.  They are just drawing the line to make it clear for everyone.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 671

good job

no more strip for donations

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Rusque

It's the double edge sword for women. If you don't want to be objectified, too bad, it's gonna happen constantly. If you do want to be objectified, well you can monetize that.

This guy gets it!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

About time!!

I hated to scroll down through the tops of all the popular game's channels with every other topic being like "look ima gamer gurl lol <3 " in which attention whoring chicks prostituted themselves cleavage-fishing for donations.

I feel sorry though for that one really fat dude who always used to stream without any shirt on, as he's now losing his channel-trademark :)

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

This is for the best.

The amount of times me and fellow friends have looked at a stream and mentioned how ridiculous the girls looked "playing" the game and I use that term very lightly while the bazongas were shooting out their chest like they had just been hit in the back by two nuclear missiles.

This also stops the possibility of more nefarious ladies that don't normally game and would get more money from "gaming" while still using body assets and tease type play to induce more revenue.

Don't get me wrong here every guy likes a great looking "lady" but twitch t.v with some of these lasses has taken the biscuit.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

Depends if they only gained followers because of what they were wearing and not what they were discussing.

A serious journalist or game reporter doesn't need to show of clevage in first place.

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Just looked up gamers gate thing LOL !!! What a bunch of crap. It's just video games people. This country makes me laugh. Someone needs to give that Quinn chick a Tampon Stat!!

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,434

I think it's unlikely that Twitch's ban has anything to do with Gamergate.

They already took action against copyrighted music. Banning erotic shows is a logical step for them to take as they're trying to make the service more respectable.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

I am a guy who likes women. BUT, the Twitch TV market is seemingly saturated with girls showing their cleavage as a ploy to get viewers. I cannot speak for them all, but most of those channels (that I have browsed)  provide nothing other than something to look at. The actual content is shit. Like I said, this is only going off of what I have seen so far, and it is disappointing when I see a female streamer who doesn't have a good personality simply showing her boobs and somehow she is partnered with thousands of viewers. 

EDIT: If we are truly going for an Anita Sarkeesian style world where woman are not 'demoralized' and are not 'sex symbols' then the female streamers who abuse this must go as well. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I don't really watch twitch streams, but I had no idea this was even a thing.  I only heard about one case where this guy playing Diablo 3 (Kripp) would have his girlfriend on the stream while he was playing to get more viewers, but I didn't know girls who aren't genuine gamers were using twitch as a means to wear skimpy clothing and make money.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,417

streaming Bayonetta the sexy witch is totally fine. Streaming Bayonetta de sexy witch while half naked is not. You wanna play naked? turn off the stream, period.

Well done, Twitch.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 1,998

It gives the authors opinion on why the rules changed, while I find it likely that the current environment likely led to the changes, it is possible that there are other reasons.  I just think the timing reinforces the argument, but doesn't exclude other factors.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    I don't really watch twitch streams, but I had no idea this was even a thing.  I only heard about one case where this guy playing Diablo 3 (Kripp) would have his girlfriend on the stream while he was playing to get more viewers, but I didn't know girls who aren't genuine gamers were using twitch as a means to wear skimpy clothing and make money.

My friend linked me a stream the other day, this is what I saw, it's sad people have to resort to this and I'm glad something is being done about it: http://i.imgur.com/UC0Chef.jpg

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

It gives the authors opinion on why the rules changed, while I find it likely that the current environment likely led to the changes, it is possible that there are other reasons.  I just think the timing reinforces the argument, but doesn't exclude other factors.

Perhaps it is timing, but as long as computer games and twitch have existed and the fact there IS a feminist movement in the gaming industry, it wouldn't surprise me that it is indeed connected. However, you know what will happen. Some other streaming company will simply allow streamers do do whatever they want. If there is a market for something and money to be made, trust me, someone will design the product. I understand the fundamentals of equality and agree with them, but I also believe in freedom of speech and expression. In my opinion, games can be viewed as entertainment, not a means for politically correct education.

This discussion has been closed.