Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What SINGLE game feature or game mechanic ruin an MMO for you?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

If an MMO has a feature or mechanic that you absolutely despise, does it make you stop playing? or do you keep going on?

I bring this up, because I was trying to figure out why I wasn't enjoying ESO.

And after trying FFXIV and back to WoW...I realized what it was...

The god damn inventory system. Yup that simple thing ruined ESO for me. I am a hoarder, and in Skyrim I was a old crazy hoarder of all things...but ESO had the most horrible inventory system I ever PERSONALLY saw in an MMO.

I make a new character? NOPE...the bank is shared with all characters...and this pissed me off cause I know why they did it (no alts to hold more items, except on the alt inventory itself. But it was a mechanic to force alts not to be able to store more items in a different bank)

I don't know why they designed such a horrid inventory system in ESO. Upgrading bags gives a tiny +10 increase. And they were stupid expensive for a newbie.

In WoW, it was easy buying bags...sure sometimes ran into problems...but nothing like ESO. I spent 1/4th (literally) of my time trying to keep my inventory clean in ESO. Cause in every elder scrolls I never had a problem picking everything up...except carry weight...and skyrim...moving slow as hell to a store...but ESO? Can't even do that.

It was the most annoying thing ever. Pissed me off so much. Pretty much ruined the MMO for me.

Have any features/mechanics that ruin an MMO for you? Maybe its the inventory system...or something else...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    It used to be cash shops, but almost every game has them now so I've learned to adapt to them. Now, it would have to be a non-fluid moving system. I absolutely hate clunky movement in an MMO, this is mostly seen in Korean MMOs where the character movement and combat are both very static. That's something that would for sure make me not play a game.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

reading the forums......

oh in game mechanic? my bad! i wouldn't say any mechanic ruins a game for me but the look and feel of some games certainly does.

i don't like games where i am forced to play a character that looks like a 12 year old Asian school girl or some anime style character.

i will also say that games that feel like they are ghost towns really ruin the experience for me. or maybe pure sandbox games where the main mechanic of the game is tedious farming (actual crop farming) and chopping wood (for example) other than that, i can't complain about any in game mechanics, i'm not that picky i guess!

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Heavy Heavy Instancing/zoning with an honorable mention of groupfinders teleporting you to dungeons.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Mavolence
    Heavy Heavy Instancing/zoning with an honorable mention of groupfinders teleporting you to dungeons.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Forced open world PvP.

I don't mind PvP servers, heck, sometimes I've even played on them in some games (not too frequently, though)... but if I don't have the option of playing 100% PvP free if I want to, I'm not interested.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

Mob Zoo: patches of 10-20 mobs of the same type next to other patches of mobs all over the world. This side of the road is crabs, other side are tigers further down the road you find birds and rats while around the east corner you find slugs and bats.

It's boring, unrealistic and immersion breaking. Mix mobs, put them where they belong, have random groups roam around, sprinkle in some sentient mobs like other races that are hostile (orcs, goblins whatever)

How much effort would it take to do that? Exactly the same as placing them neatly into small patches. It require no further effort or programming unless you want to get really fancy and have them eat or fight each other, which of cause would make it even better.

----

MMORPG Zoo and Kill X quests are the worst.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Free to play.  I honestly think this trend has damaged the overall MMO genre.
  • AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140

I can sympathise with the OP's dislike of poor inventory systems. Free open-world PVP is another no-no for me (mentioned above), and I agree that "mob zoo" is an immersion-breaker, though i wouldn't uninstall because of it.

My current #1 gripe is games where mobs never drop any interesting loot. Usually this means the game is pay-to-win and that kills it for me.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Only one?

Toss up between achievements and forcing people to visit cash shops in game windows.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Mavolence

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

In a f2p game? P2W type cash-shops. Like Allods online or Runes of Magic.

All freemium type games i can't stand. Like Runescape and Wizards 101(though i never played this).

In p2p? Honestly couldn't come up with 1. All p2p games i've stopped playing were for multiple reasons and not just 1 ruined it for me.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Only one?

Toss up between achievements and forcing people to visit cash shops in game windows.

How the fuck does achievements ruin an mmo for you? Like what?

The only way i can even fathom achievements would ruin an mmo for you is because some people might require you to have a specific achievement to join their "experienced raid group". And that's not a fault against achievements, that's just a certain group of people wanting to be sure they're going with people who've done the fights.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Isolated end-game content. I hate it when the whole huge open world is only a stage for leveling, and when you hit the cap you are thrown into instanced "off world" end-game pockets. What a waste.

This ofcourse goes hand in hand with dungeon finder. Not only is the content isolated and away from the rest of the world, but you dont even need to travel to the location, you just push a button. WHY even have a world entrance to the place? I'm not against instances, I'm against having almost all the content in "end game instances" and on top of that a teleport there.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Gambling lockboxes as loot, such a terrible idea for gameplay.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Cash-shop and brain-dead easy mode constant solo play
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

features that support bad behavior - be it open pvp, stealing, destruction of others work etc.

i was just watching fevir's video from archage, and it was about how he spend whole session just pretty much stealing from other people and destroying their work and while i love his videos, the whole time i was thinking "do i really watch someone "bragging" about being an ass?"

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I dislike a lot multiple things.

#1 Systems in place that exploits/cheats/bots that persist, thrive and not taken care of properly.

#2 Double standard. Company disallows me to sell account/chr/items/currency legally for $ but they or some 3rd party site does it and nothing is done about it.

#3 Promises that are not delivered, which is why I avoid sub games or spending things I'm not 100% what I'm getting in return. I've seen far too many MMO's devolve and become worse over time, cuz a lot of the $ generated is not invested back in my game.

#4 GM/Staff abuse. I've seen in a lot of games my experience become worse due to staff interferences rather than better.

#5 Lack of purpose of accomplishing something. I want what I'm doing to feel truly rewarding, not something most get as well in the process of playing the game. Cash shops destroy this a lot. Usually, the game loses the sense of accomplishment when the company tries to be the winner over the players themselves.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Free to play.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Damage meters and ability to inspect player gear stats.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    cash shop ruined mmo's forever : (
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Monetization mechanics.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Useless jumping. If I can jump in an MMORPG but:

• The world is so polished that I can't stand on much without being bumped off.

• If I do manage to get on top of and stand on something and it gives me no real advantage (such as monsters still being able to hit me, or glitching up to where i am in order to get me, or resetting their meter because they can't fairly target).

• Or if if jumping doesn't let me move faster then running or raise evasion against abilities cast on me.

The I have to ask why the mechanic is in the game. And, usually when it is present in this way. There are also, other things that make as little sense. Like mounts disappearing if you so much as touch knee high water. Swinging a sword within the range of an opponent visually, but missing physically. Shooting something behind me as well as if I had been facing it because of hard locking...Useless jumping is more often then not the first glaring piece of evidence that the game was developed lazily. That they either copy pasted an engine meant to be used with an entirely different game. that they used an editor that wasn't in house. or that they simply failed to implement a lot of features they had intended to with launch, and never readdressed that.

It's a big red flag for a company being a crank out publisher/developer as well (as in, flip some switches to randomize features and a look a bit, turn the crank, and another MMORPG pops out, that is basically the same MMORPG they last did with a thematic change).

Useless jumping has yet to fail me in making this presumption. It has always proven to be the first and most easily accessible thing that shows a games color in this way. My first few minutes in a new MMORPG after character creation is spent jumping (onto things, while attacking things, seeing how it compares to running). It might seem dumb. But, it has never failed me. And, so now I simply trust it. If you a see a newb bounce into existence, spaz out and then stop for a while, log out and never log back in...It may have been me.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    F2P has been the thing that has ruined it for me so far!
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Any two handed sword wielder like a warrior spinning in a circle. Also, I hate rapid fire bow use....

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

If an MMO has a feature or mechanic that you absolutely despise, does it make you stop playing? or do you keep going on?

I bring this up, because I was trying to figure out why I wasn't enjoying ESO.

And after trying FFXIV and back to WoW...I realized what it was...

The god damn inventory system. Yup that simple thing ruined ESO for me. I am a hoarder, and in Skyrim I was a old crazy hoarder of all things...but ESO had the most horrible inventory system I ever PERSONALLY saw in an MMO.

I make a new character? NOPE...the bank is shared with all characters...and this pissed me off cause I know why they did it (no alts to hold more items, except on the alt inventory itself. But it was a mechanic to force alts not to be able to store more items in a different bank)

I don't know why they designed such a horrid inventory system in ESO. Upgrading bags gives a tiny +10 increase. And they were stupid expensive for a newbie.

In WoW, it was easy buying bags...sure sometimes ran into problems...but nothing like ESO. I spent 1/4th (literally) of my time trying to keep my inventory clean in ESO. Cause in every elder scrolls I never had a problem picking everything up...except carry weight...and skyrim...moving slow as hell to a store...but ESO? Can't even do that.

It was the most annoying thing ever. Pissed me off so much. Pretty much ruined the MMO for me.

Have any features/mechanics that ruin an MMO for you? Maybe its the inventory system...or something else...

The one thing that has saved me alot of money is quest hubs.

I made a new rule awhile back, when i log into a game if i see ! above NPC heads then i know its a quest hub game and i just uninstall instantly no questions asked.

and i saved myself some money