Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Old School mmos, went back to subscriptions would you play (poll)

2»

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Callidor
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I used to think F2P games were the future.

Not anymore.

Subscription games are where it's at.

You know, to weed out 90% of the undesirables.

Right, because "undesirables" are incapable of coming up with $15 a month. image

All one has to do is compare the chat in AA to for example FF:ARR. The difference in maturity is noticeable inside of 5 minutes.

Exactly!

Because the more mature crowd prefers a game like FF, while the PvP crowd prefers a game like AA.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by delete5230

Like the topic, if the older community based mmos did away with the F2P Cash Shops and went back to subscriptions would you go back.

I know I would in an instant, what about you ?

EQ1

EQ2

D&D Online

Vanguard came back

insert other game here

Basically what I'm asking is, did F2P kill your mmo ?

These games were dying long before the cash shops. In Vanguards case it was DOA. I did lose what little respect I had for SoE when they first made EQ1 F2P and only let you play 3 crappy races and not even half the classes for "free."

Thankfully their F2P model has changed since then, unfortunately their low quality games haven't.

• EverQuestingEverQuesting Member Posts: 25

EQ2, D&D Online & Vanguard are not Old School.

EQ up to Velious are Old School.

:)

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Not really on topic but my take on subscriptions:

I'm at the point of desparation where I would pay 30-45$ a month for a FFXI server pre-Abyssea expansion. I'm serious.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by delete5230

Like the topic, if the older community based mmos did away with the F2P Cash Shops and went back to subscriptions would you go back.

I know I would in an instant, what about you ?

EQ1

EQ2

D&D Online

Vanguard came back

insert other game here

Basically what I'm asking is, did F2P kill your mmo ?

Yes. I support the funding of MMOs through Subscriptions, I am opposed to F2P and even B2P because no one gets something for nothing and MMOs have continuous expenses that need to be paid. I feel Cash Shops are wrong for MMOs because I believe every single virtual item or feature a character can acquire should be acquirable through normal gameplay and not through some external method such as a cash shop.

As for the games you list...

EQ1, EQ2, and Vanguard are SOE products and I no longer do business with SOE as a MMO publisher as of 3 years ago.

D&D online I tried and quit because I do not like gameplay of D&D unless it's gamerules 2.5 or previous.

DAoC I would subscribe to and play if and only if they had a dedicated permanent server with game features of pre-ToA and before.

I am currently paying Subs on 2 different MMOs consistently right now. That's how much I believe in Subs.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I've noticed the same chat in f2p and p2p, the Dane quality the same amount of updates the Dane amount of support (except swtor for support). There is no difference these days. It's only a question of do i like the game and an i willing to pay what the cost is in order to play the way i want.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    not unless its a remake with todays quality standards. I dont see myself paying a sub today for a game with 10+ year old clunky gameplay and graphics. And no.... before someone mentions it, WoW doesnt look/feel the same as it did at launch, its more polished from every angle.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by greenre

I can't feel engaged / entrenched / immersed / involved / needed / desired / wanted in a game that revolves around asking me to give them money multiple times a day. The discussion about my human wallet constantly has the effect of disconnecting me from the game world and reminding me that the game is a product and competition or effort are secondary because things can be purchased. I think psychologically it recreates a have and have not society without the sentiment that if you try hard enough and work harder, good things will be yours without having money. When good things are programmatically denied to you and put behind a for sale sign, it spoils any sense of commitment because the price tag becomes the game resulting in people bouncing from game to game looking for the best price.

It comes down to this. If all games are the same price, then you must judge them on their content to decide which to play. When all games are different prices then the choice of game will have to include the fee it consumes. 

This sums up the problem with f2p. I am not saying f2p cant be done in a nonintrusive way, but none has.. No that is not true, I have seem one exception, Path of Exile. Flat pricing will always be my preference, I want to know what the cost of a products is, and I want to know I am on equal terms with those I play with and against. The only shop items I find acceptable are cosmectic or otherwise not game altering stuff, DLC are on the edge but in some cases sort of ok.. Unlockin areas, races, classes as long as it is also realistically possible to do without paying, early access would be ok too.

Besides that, there are hardly any oldschool mmorpgs left, eq2 was never oldschool, vg is gone for now, eq changed and the only place to find a hint of oldschool is with emulators. So the poll is kindda offwierd. But my answer is sort of yes I would and I did.. I played eq progression server for a year which required a sub (eq progression was a server which started with the "original" game and got an expansion rolled on at regular intervals 1-3 months).

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Probably not. Games like the original EQ and DAOC are so incredibly outdated in terms of mechanics, design, UI, etc. that playing them is an exercise in pain and frustration compared to the MMOs of today. I can't even stomach Asheron's Call, and I loved that game.

Modern games are just better overall. Heading back to the past is like turning down a Delmonico steak in favor of a McDonald's hamburger.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• newbloodlustnewbloodlust Member Posts: 7
    Maybe yes, the only thing that I dont like is you are forced to use their item mall, cash mall, item cash or whatever they call it.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

My Wife and I subed and played 10 accounts from start till closing in Star Wars Galaxies.

But Sony killed their own game their.

I have to think most people that spend a part of their life to come here and read all of this, are suffering from the what I call the first love syndrome and come here to try and find it again. I rember well my supped up z28, a dirt road, a spanking, rock, real rock music blarring, and the hottiest girl in high school :).

I founded, played, and admined on Paradox mud for over 5 years of online time on my admin accout, we had so much fun even befor sound and pics , thought we were hot stuff when we got colored text !

That First mmo we played will never be the same even if it was still around.

Would we pay and play is the question ? YES

But the co need to know if we would pay and stay for years ? NO max level top gear is all most people can do if even that.

Look at wild star subs down co laying people off.

The average American will only take Martial arts for 3 months or work out at a club for 2, thats why now days they wont you to buy life time sub. They know u will not use it.

Look at STO, they just put out a horrable patch in delta, players caint even keep all of the 50 + skill saved on the charcters from one zone to the next, broke joy stick support, increased the rl cost to flying a top ships by 300 fold each.

And get this now they advertise selling life time subs lol. Gams componyies are all about the money now days, and gamers are all about wow boom bang flashy neon colors with a quick fast high burst of feel good.

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Probably wouldn't go back.
    Definitely will not play any F2P MMO going forward tho.
  • ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Most definitely I would go back.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Just because you add a sub doesnt mean its 2002 again.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    People did not leave because of the subscription and just rolling back to some mythical time period when the game was supposedly "good" is just wishful thinking cause even that the time it was not that good.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    No, payment model does not impact my playing preferences, old school MMOs would need to go back to their original designs first.

There's a DAOC freeshard that when it was up was set more or less to a 2003 ruleset and I enjoyed it enough to donate money. Hope it comes back one day.

This pretty much.

Nobody gives a damn about payment models unless your narius.

A old school MMO (with their proper desings) (with current age grapichs) i would play within a heartbeat. heck id probaply trow a ton of money at em.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I've come around to the idea that Free-to-suck is one of the better things to happen to mmorpgs. That is, it awoke you to realize what a soul-sucking gerbil-wheel these games are and can inspire you to get off the treadmill. It's kinda like my joke that Tabula Rasa had the best crafting system in any mmorpg because it only took ten minutes to realize it was worthless as opposed to other games where you only find that out after you have grinded to Grand Imperial Artisan or whatever it is.