Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are You Put Off by Korean-English MMO's?

2»

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Yes. For the same reason as others.

*F2P heavily reliant on cash shop.

*Non-Korean game updates are delayed.

*Developers don't communicate with non-Korean players, many barely speak English.

*Lore and immersion is never taken serious, instead, the developers start adding the most ridiculous hats / armor / cars / giant forks / pink umbrellas / football outfits / plastic fisher-price shields. 2 months after the game is released you're asking yourself how you ended up playing in a disney theme park instead of the medieval world you signed up for.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I am heavily into Korean cultural huge drama fan here  <-----  

No problem with their folklore and I find them fascinating. I enjoy their games too but I cannot accept  PvP which is why I avoid their games when they do have it. Nothing to do with the other stuff mentioned here. I just do not like the PvP.

Chamber of Chains
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by goboygo

There is far to big a disconnect for me to make it work.  Pretty much everything seems "off" to me and I mean everything.

Characters look creepy, men look like she boys, girls look like blow up dolls.

Monsters look like someone took two cartoon characters and smashed them to together, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for anyone who thinks that's "scary" or immersive.

Combat sounds, wow where to start.  HA, EH, HA, EH I I I EH AH, an annoyingly hi pitched voice on every swing of a sword or pull of a bow.

Quests and stories I just cant connect with, even if they are translated well (which is hardly ever) they lack any sort of intellect or culture humor, they just fall flat and dead.

Weapons, hmm 40 foot swords, 12 foot bows that are so arnate to be unrecognizable as the objects they are supposed to be.

Gear, everyone starting from level 1 looks like they are going to a Gay costume ball ( no offense just calling it has I see it).  And it just gets more ridiculous from there.

Color pallet is generally florescent colors, everything overly bright and completely washed out, no character depth or use of shadows and light sources.

Small nuclear color bombs are detonated with every swing of the sword or casting of magic.

Screen is usually shaking non stop in combat.  Ya that's comfortable after an hour of gameplay.  10 mins and I want to toss my monitor out the window.

These, just off the top of my head.

Its no different then jumping on a plane landing in Korea heading to downtown and then saying, oh ya I just fit right in here.   Uhh no you don't.

*Standing Ovation* You sir are the very rare, neigh mythical unicorn of the internet. The intelligent human being. A beautiful creature, and an endangered species. I'm humbled that I got to see one in my lifetime.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

A fellow poster TiamatRoar posted a very interesting thought on these types of games. They dont appeal to us because theyre designed with a different society in mind. Most people in south korea frequent internet cafes and do not mind P2W as its socially and culturally acceptable there. As are the child like graphics and whatnot.

South Korea is kinda strange, you know what the #1 graduation present give to high school graduates is? Plastic surgery.

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I know for me the majority of them I have tried and/or have seen being played are nothing but lame excuses for MMO's. And can't seen any of them staying around.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Agree with OP 100%. I loved Lineage II, but I just couldn't take the play style and the over all gfx of the game after time. What  I wish is they would make a version of their games more toward what the west likes. Sad part they will always make the games where it is more profitable for them with internet Cafe's.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I have a hard time broad brushing questions like this.  I look at each game as an individual.  Some games I like, some I don't.  I can say that about Korean games, but I can also say that about American games.  Some American games try to please one crowd or another.  In many cases they try to please everyone, and end up pleasing none.

This same broad brushing of games applies for me also when people ask a similar question about game companies.  I don't decide on a game based on company, but the game itself on its own merits.

I will say that many of the Asian games can do with a bit of moderation when it comes to their graphic styles.  Some games I can live with it, but some games, I just can't get over it.  In this, I definitely prefer western graphics choices.

I self identify as a monkey.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

To be honest most MMOs turn me off in some way especially the ones from the past few years. I don't think the Korean ones are any worse. Most of the criticisms people are making here could also apply to WoW which let's face it most of these games are blatantly copying.

ArcheAge is actually the best MMO to come out in a long time even though I'm still not playing it because it's more "best of a bad lot." than actually "good".

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by dasX82

The desires of the Asian player base are incredibly different from the desires of the North American and European player base. What can be fun and relaxing to the typical Asian player can be viewed as repetitive and dull by the American/European player. 

Or there are people who like those decisions.

Personally, I'd rather NOT have localization and would just prefer to have translations. I can handle the differences in lore, story, in the use of local legends and fables, etc.

As far as game play I can handle the repetitive nature of their games.

So, I suppose, to answer your question I would say "no", I am not "put off".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Tera was the game when I said no more Korean shit, but gave AA chance and it's failed even worse. So, fuck all those shits, Korean MMORPGs. 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Goboygo said it.

Asian games should not try to be western because it will just feel fake. They should stand by what they are and some, but not a whole lot, will like it.. But atleast its honest. If I go eat at a [insert culture or country] restaurent, I expect to use chopsticks, sit on the floor or whatever is custom.. If I go there it is because I want that experience and not some fake themed thing.

Be proud and asian, I will not play you, but I will respect you.

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Yes they put me off. I can't stand the style of the characters.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The games are not really what bother me. It's the payment model and the lack of understanding in North American 'wealth'. Won to USD is 1000:1 but they price things in figures under the impression that we can and will pay large sums for game features. The cash shops need to be stream lined with a $15 a month sub in mind because our economies in the west are buying power driven, not based on everyone making a boat load of cheap money.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    P2W was invented by Korean MMOs. Nuff said.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by kjempff. If I go eat at a [insert culture or country] restaurent, I expect to use chopsticks

Eh, last time we went to Asia we saw many people eat with a fork and knife, there were still many more with chopsticks, but apparently some have realised the ease of using a fork and knife, since it used to be only westerners. Now you see asians using it, especially kids, they often ask for a fork and knife.

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117

You hit on it in the first post - I can get over UI design and art style, but I don't want a hand-me-down game that is always a patch or two behind due to localization.  On top of that, most of them insult the players with a Suggestions forum in the English version that is wholly ignored.

The most attached to such a game I've ever gotten is Pangya, a golf game.  It's not really possible to go against any given playerbase in your design decisions, so being a patch behind isn't as big a deal.  I gave it up due to rampant cheating and their refusal to consider design changes to counteract it.