Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AA, pound for pound the most fun MMORPG I have played

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Video game forums with people expressing opinions on video games.

Some of you guys have absolutely NO (ZERO) concept of what HATE really is. (Hint: it's about people not intellectual property)

You throw that term around like it's candy on Halloween without ever really realizing that you falsely calling someone a hater is far worse than someone telling you why they don't like your new game.

/shrug... I think you take the word 'hate' in this context way too literally in all honesty.

It's used in the same way as when someone says they 'love' chocolate ice cream. I mean, they clearly don't love it in the real sense, it's just a throwaway exaggerated term.

I wouldn't let it get to you. The same words can be used differently in varying contexts is all. Not worth reporting people over tbh.

No, it's not.

You can see the context it's being used. It's the exact same context here as it would be if it were an issue of race or rich vs. poor or any other people based topic.

There is a big difference between "Haters gonna hate" and "I hate mushrooms on my pizza."

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Video game forums with people expressing opinions on video games.

Some of you guys have absolutely NO (ZERO) concept of what HATE really is. (Hint: it's about people not intellectual property)

You throw that term around like it's candy on Halloween without ever really realizing that you falsely calling someone a hater is far worse than someone telling you why they don't like your new game.

/shrug... I think you take the word 'hate' in this context way too literally in all honesty.

It's used in the same way as when someone says they 'love' chocolate ice cream. I mean, they clearly don't love it in the real sense, it's just a throwaway exaggerated term.

I wouldn't let it get to you. The same words can be used differently in varying contexts is all. Not worth reporting people over tbh.

No, it's not.

You can see the context it's being used. It's the exact same context here as it would be if it were an issue of race or rich vs. poor or any other people based topic.

There is a big difference between "Haters gonna hate" and "I hate mushrooms on my pizza."

lol, no there isn't, but I respect your perspective on it. I just don't agree with you.

It isn't really a discussion for this thread tbh. Start a new one in general maybe?

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Didn't the OP post an "in love" thread already?
    Originally posted by Ikonic

Sorry, are my two threads, pretty much a month apart, spamming you with too much positivety? :P

Yeah, I said before how much I was enjoying the game, and I still am.

The purpose of this thread really though was to link that video, mainly as a break from talking about the same old stuff. Well, an attempt at that anyhow :p

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by remsleep
    Originally posted by Ikonic

Even if he did, what rule does that break of this forum?

Archeage is a superb game.

Its exactly what I've been looking for in the last 10+ years - it fits my playstyle perfectly.

What I like about it the most - it offers a wide variety of possibilities for gameplay - it is cutthroat, this is not the game for the weak.

There is nothing like it on the western market at this time, I feel like the game came at the right time

Prior to Archeage the market felt like a sea of "me too" MMOs many of which felt like the same games in different skin.

AA is different - in a great way.

Ignore the guys trying to bait me Rem, it doesn't bother me :)

I very much agree with what you say here though. AA is a socially interdependent game of risk vs reward. Exactly what I have been looking for myself. The fact that it is so damned funny most of the time is just a bonus.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

Originally posted by xAPOCx
    im with you OP. Been playing since launch and been having a great time ever since. Let all these haters hate. They are the ones missing out.

The problem is they missed out in the first 4 hours a server went live ....what I see is a lot of crying over spilled milk by folks that missed the entire point of the game . I mean 6 weeks after release you still have folks crying about being bored to level up doing pve quests and not being able to make money because they have no land

Yep. I'm stuck doing pve quests. No land no farm mats. I was able to get two levels last night with hereafter stone making. But I ran out of money for raw stone as quests and pve are worthless. If xl spent just a bit more time making pve (not quests more mobs and loot) viable I couldnt complain about much with the game. The combat horrible but I can overlook that. So now Im broke and lvl 35. Maybe the hereafter stones will sell. One day maybe enough money to pay for some land from a bot or person that has 10 properties. Crafting is literally impossible without money or land. I tried cooking the other night...lol. that would put an eq hell level to shame.

I think the game has a lot of unique features to the genre and some that are the worst in the genre ( darkfall's pve is lightyears better, for example). It's a really odd mix that I will stick with for the time being.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its good to see people enjoying a mmo. Once Trion gets the game where they want it its going to be a very good game.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    im with you OP. Been playing since launch and been having a great time ever since. Let all these haters hate. They are the ones missing out.

The problem is they missed out in the first 4 hours a server went live ....what I see is a lot of crying over spilled milk by folks that missed the entire point of the game . I mean 6 weeks after release you still have folks crying about being bored to level up doing pve quests and not being able to make money because they have no land

Yep. I'm stuck doing pve quests.

Nah, you are not, you probably just don't know better. Let me see if I can help. There is something to be said about powering through to 50 on quests though in your position. It doesn't take that long. But, saying that, you do have options;

No land no farm mats.

Not true really.

You can talk to your guild (you do have a guild, right?). Make friends, ask one of the if you can use a small farm if they have one spare (most established players will), offer to pay the rent for it.

Or... Plant 'illegally'. The point in the game where every inch of land being scoured for 'illegal' farms has gone and most don't want crime points for harvesting herbs and whatnot, so plant up. You can easily get together mats for trade runs this way. 

Or... Sell your labour on the open market. It DOES have value.

Or... Run tradeships with your guild. Carry their packs and you will get a payoff  just for handing it in, and it's a lot of fun (you do have a guild, right?)

Or... Well, there are other options as well. The point I am making is that there are options. It doesn't take long to get 200-300 gold going on in this game.

If xl spent just a bit more time making pve (not quests more mobs and loot) viable I couldnt complain about much with the game.

Don't complain, look for alternatives. Are you speaking to your guild as you go?

Crafting is literally impossible without money or land.

Don't even sweat the crafting for the time. Make the money first.

It's a really odd mix that I will stick with for the time being.

I agree that AA requires a different way of thinking, especially for people used to 100% theme parks, but this game does not rely on you levelling and crafting to make your way. I think that a lot of the disconnect that we are seeing with people is that they are approaching it the same way as other games, but that doesn't work here. There is a lot to learn.

AA rewards social interdependence and networking, and requires an investment of you to get stuff.

If this is what you are looking for, and you can make the leap from the quest/ craft dynamic, I think you might end up enjoying it. It's not for everyone though, I do admit that.

Good luck anyhow :)

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    im with you OP. Been playing since launch and been having a great time ever since.

Indeed.

It's great to see some positivety around here for a change :)

One more for the game. Most fun I've had playing an MMO in years.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Having a lot of fun as well, although the crafting is a bit of a grind, I can't keep up. I am lacking in the gear department now because both time and money are short with me. I feel kind of left out of the action so to speak...

I have a feeling that I will catch up though if I maintain persistence.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I like the vid, pretty cool just horsing around.

That goes to show you that some players can enjoy a game with common interest even with all situations AA has been through since launch.

However the game didn't hook me, but I did give it a go. I may go back sometime in the future once they get the game running smoothly.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I would compare Archeage to a game like EvE, in that they are both good games but you have to work hard to find the goodness in there.   Neither game hands you this on a platter.  

Too many people rely on simplistic first impressions anymore, and it just seems easier to be a hater rather than a fan these days.

I considered giving the game a try but I don't think I could fit my non aggressive playstyle into this game.   Glad to see it is doing well however.   Enjoy.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Having a blast.

People who are quitting due to land shortage are really missing out. You don't need land to be rich. There are many other ways to get you rich in this game. There are even players who are f2p with galleon and farm cart. Yes they definitely can purchase the patron with apex, but why would the need it if they can do just fine without it?

To play AA, you need creativity. People with no creativity won't be able to find the fun of AA. I wouldn't call it a sandbox (most people here will subject), but there are a lot of freedom here.

As mentioned before, this is not a game for the weak.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by inemosz

Having a blast.

People who are quitting due to land shortage are really missing out. You don't need land to be rich. There are many other ways to get you rich in this game. There are even players who are f2p with galleon and farm cart. Yes they definitely can purchase the patron with apex, but why would the need it if they can do just fine without it?

To play AA, you need creativity. People with no creativity won't be able to find the fun of AA. I wouldn't call it a sandbox (most people here will subject), but there are a lot of freedom here.

Elitist much? No wonder people are saying that AA community is dead toxic.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Siug

Having a blast.

Elitist much? No wonder people are saying that AA community is dead toxic.

and I heard MMORPG community is full of hardcore gamers.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Its exactly what I've been looking for in the last 10+ years - it fits my playstyle perfectly.

What I like about it the most - it offers a wide variety of possibilities for gameplay - it is cutthroat, this is not the game for the weak.

There is nothing like it on the western market at this time, I feel like the game came at the right time

Prior to Archeage the market felt like a sea of "me too" MMOs many of which felt like the same games in different skin.

Ignore the guys trying to bait me Rem, it doesn't bother me :)

I very much agree with what you say here though. AA is a socially interdependent game of risk vs reward. Exactly what I have been looking for myself. The fact that it is so damned funny most of the time is just a bonus.

Funny you would say that considering that is what this whole topic is.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Having a blast.

Alright..hold on right there. This is getting a bit too much.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I have to question that considering how often you hear.."don't do that.."DOn't you know that's not what this game is about.."you're doing it wrong"/...The more I hear (from the fans) the more it seems like your only real options are be someones fodder or make someone yours. Do anything else or seek something else and you're doing it wrong.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

AA will always be a niche game, because it asks for investment both time wise and socially

You got to be kidding me right? Socially?

Nope, not kidding.

AA is a game that rewards you for team work, group play, communication, and the building of social networks. The consequences of a bad reputation are real.

Tell me why you think it doesn't?

Originally posted by Distopia

I have to question that considering how often you hear...

I think you are seeing what you want to see rather than what is being shown. In a couple of posts back I listed a whole raft of options for making gold for example, because another poster was struggling getting ahead financially just through questing. 

Do you play Distopia? If you have and then quit, how far did you get?

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    That video was hilarious.  Great find!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I agree. This game is right up there for me, and I can see myself playing it for the next year at least. I love the focus on crafting and trade.

Joined - July 2004

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Archeage is "hardcore" in a way similar to Wildstar in that there really isn't much for people at endgame if they aren't willing or able to dedicate a lot to it.  In Wildstar you needed to dedicate lots of time to raids in the end game because there isn't anything else. In AA you need to dedicate lots of time to making social networks and advancing yourself to keep up with others in PvP (or... do anything really).

This results in the same elitist community, just with a different theme.  The most obvious case being all those posters who keep telling others "You're playing the game wrong."

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Great you are enjoying the game. For me until they kill the cheating and bots the game just isn't for me. I felt the same about ESO but they cleaned that game up fast. I have to wonder why AA isn't working faster to clean it up.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!