Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender politics in gaming

I have been following this topic lately because I think its just a matter of time before the forces at work start trying to directly effect gaming policy and development. I am talking about a small minority of people who are trying to politicise and inject feminist policies into games. So far its relegated to harassing Twitter Feeds which at first was just that Sarkeesian girl, but now shes even recruited Felicia Day, who I actually like, but shes made some really strange stands here in the last couple of years. Its even irked its way into liberal media outlets like The Huffington Post and NY times.

I have watched as the attacks have become less about male dominance in gaming and more about the evils of masculinity and other nonsense. Outright calls for destroying the patriarchy in gaming, which tells me they have never played second life. I really don't think most of them are gamers at all, I think they see it as an unconquered battlefield or something. I mean take a look at some of the nonsense they are posting.

I dont really want to link a bunch of Twitter Feeds and NY times articles. but the "goal" here seems to be to squash young boys  out of games or brainwash them into an army of foot slaves, I mean honestly, most of the WOW player base is what young men right? Then they complain about female prostitutes in Vice City and such, killing women in Assassination games. I mean you think its nothing now, but how long do you think it will take before they get a Female friendly rating system along with sponsorships and FORUM advertisements, before long, you won't have any more naked female dancers in the next Elder Scrolls game.

Just look at some of the vile nonsense Sarkeesian has posted in the last, I dunno  24 hours. .. Just the last 24 hours. One of her followers, emily-esque has a white house meeting next month over gender equality. I only know that because she gave me a very angry tweet response.

I, just think you need to be concerned about this, male and female gamer alike.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    That psycho has been at it for a while, this is nothing new. Here's an article about her from over 2 years ago http://www.wired.com/2012/06/anita-sarkeesian-feminist-games/
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    That psycho has been at it for a while, this is nothing new. Here's an article about her from over 2 years ago http://www.wired.com/2012/06/anita-sarkeesian-feminist-games/

I know I posted about it then lol, but its getting out of hand now. The you know what has hit the fan. They wont go for the games first, they will go for our websites, like this one.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

This whole situation is absolutely ridiculous.   I do think some games go a bit over the top, and I personally could do without bikini versions of armor in every game, but the extremes that both sides have gone to is ridiculous.      

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

How can you call her names like that, what is wrong with you. She can have her view point, and try to get others aware of it. I think that link you posted proves, how mentally unstable most Gamers are. I mean seriously you calling her names, people making threats, what in gods name is wrong with you people lol. You honestly cant see calling some one names, and threats against  their life, because they feel a certain way about something,  that something is wrong with that? Every one is entitled to their own views, but that is too much i guess. I think this just proves that Democracy, and anything to do with human freedom, is the wrong step, because the majority of people just cant handle it. It leads to to much destruction. 

Just for the record, i dont agree with her views at all. I happen to play Star Trek Online, and i play a Female Orion. That is my choice though, its my fantasy world, no one else is allowed in it, unless I want them to. Thats what fantasy worlds are.... Calling her names, and wishing harm to her is terrible, esp on a subject with so little meaning. The in-pact of this whole concept and discussion is about as important as trying to stop people from buying mini skirts. In the big picture of humanity, this is worthless. No one 100 years from now, is gonna look back and go yeah naked elf females were such a huge role in human affairs.

It def isnt worth saying some one is a Pysco I mean where in any of her actions does this show up, Psychopathy (/a?kpθ?o?i?<span title="/

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by thinktank001

This whole situation is absolutely ridiculous.   I do think some games go a bit over the top, and I personally could do without bikini versions of armor in every game, but the extremes that both sides have gone to is ridiculous.      

I mean if you want to lobby for less violence in games towards women, then lobby for it dont attack the just entered puberty player base like they are some kind of cancer to society. I mean I would like to play less over the top male models that are marketed more towards women than men, a big old fat dude or something, but I dont make an issue of it.
    But shes posting that not only is toxic masculinity bad for games, but causes school shootings and we should remove destructive male urges from boys, meaning put them on meds so they wont have any testosterone, its INSANE.

This discussion has been closed.